Circumnavigation Problem

• 3 Replies

Poseidon

• Flat Earther
Circumnavigation Problem
« on: May 02, 2016, 12:30:22 PM »
One major gap in the FET is circumnavigation. How can this be possible if the Earth were flat? We have, in the past, circumnavigated the Earth. How would this work with a flat Earth?
"Prepare a noble death song, for the day when you go over the great divide" - Tecumseh

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Circumnavigation Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:26:12 AM »
One major gap in the FET is circumnavigation. How can this be possible if the Earth were flat? We have, in the past, circumnavigated the Earth. How would this work with a flat Earth?
You'll quickly find that I do not support the Flat Earth, but this is from the Wiki:
Quote from: the Wiki
Circumnavigation
The Flat Earth is laid out like the United Nations logo. The North Pole is at the center while Antarctica is at the rim. The continents are spread out around the North Pole.

Circumnavigation on an FE is achieved because on a compass East and West are always at right angles to North. Thus traveling Eastwards continuously takes you in a circle around the North Pole. East and West are curved.
from the Wiki, Circumnavigation

But, try that on the FE map in a North-South direction.
Yes, it HAS been done a couple of times, via both poles.

Quote from: Guiness Book of Records
First Circumnavigation via both Poles by Aircraft
Captain Elgen M. Long achieved the first circum-polar flight in a twin-engined Piper PA-31 Navajo from 5 November to 3 December 1971. He covered 62,597 km (38,896 miles) in 215 flying hours.
from: First Circumnavigation via both Poles by Aircraft, Guiness Book of Records

Quote from: NY Times
Charles Burton 59 a Pole-to-Pole Explorer
Charles Burton, a British explorer who took part in the first expedition to circumnavigate the globe from pole to pole, died on Monday at his family home in the English village of Framfield in Sussex. He was 59 and had suffered a heart attack, said his brother, Richard.
from: Charles Burton 59 a Pole-to-Pole Explorer, NY Times

So, if you accept these stories, circumnavigation via both poles is possible and has been achieved. Make of that what you will!

TheSchwa1337

• Confused quite honestly on the whole matter hand
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:50:30 AM »
Someone probably already said it, but I'm pretty sure your question could be answered in the FAQ page!
It shows how the earth can be easily circumnavigated on a flat earth model.

Here is a video since it would be easier to show. Not quite as good as some of the other ones I've seen, but I think it gets the point across in about 30 seconds.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">

Here is a picture.
Quote from: Papa Legba on April 29, 2016, 01:15:13 PM

I've got top men working on babyhighspeed's potentially disastrous amazon voodoo detector recalibration issue right now...

Top... Men!

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
Yes circumnavigation East-West is possible on the FE. The above map states that if you keep going West, you'll basically make a circle around the center of the disc, that is the North Pole. Although it would take much more time below the Equator than above, as the radius of the circle increases. Some projects are often brought up, such as flying a plane and measuring the time it takes to circumnavigate at lower latitudes, which would prove FE. To my knowledge, flat earthers never realized this kind of project.

However circumnavigation North-South is impossible. The South pole doesn't even exist on a FE, Antarctica is a lie, governments prevent people from investigating it, etc. For that reason, flat earthers often deny that polar circumnavigation was ever done.

So, if you accept these stories, circumnavigation via both poles is possible and has been achieved. Make of that what you will!

It should be noted that a number of satellites orbit around the poles on a regular basis - in fact several times every day. Such as the Iridium group of satellites. They're not operated by NASA or any space agency but Motorola.

The way their coverage works is pretty interesting IMO. Here's some details :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellite_constellation

They can also be tracked here in hope to see one pass above your head :
http://www.n2yo.com/satellites/?c=15

Anyone who manages to see them can verify that they always travel on the North-South axis.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:07:12 AM by telsarbg »