If the Earth is round, why don't clouds curve over the horizon?

• 20 Replies

FLAT_IS_TRUTH

• Creator and proponent of Celestial Ocean Theory.
Here's a picture of a cloudy sky over the horizon:

If the Earth was round, we should see that the clouds curve as they approach the horizon. This is not what we see.
Instead, the clouds on the picture follow the ground, completely flat, until they fade away into obscurity, never going under the horizon.
The Earth is as flat as RE arguments.

CaptainMagpie

• Aristibird of Knowledge
Re: If the Earth is round, why don't clouds curve over the horizon?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »
Right, because we are tiny dot on this huge planet and our brains and eyes cannot distinguish the curve of the Earth from our perspective. That is why the horizon looks flat to being with so why would that change for clouds?
fuck off penguin.  I'll take my ban to tell you to go fuck your self.  Ban please.   I am waiting.

FLAT_IS_TRUTH

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
Right, because we are tiny dot on this huge planet and our brains and eyes cannot distinguish the curve of the Earth from our perspective. That is why the horizon looks flat to being with so why would that change for clouds?

The Earth curves away at an exponential rate starting with 8 feet per mile. Saying that we couldn't see that curvature is ridiculous.

CaptainMagpie

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:17:50 AM »

The Earth curves away at an exponential rate starting with 8 feet per mile. Saying that we couldn't see that curvature is ridiculous.
Throwing in a number doesn't make what you are saying any smarter or right. Plus if you get high enough and change your PERSPECTIVE then you can indeed see clouds curving with the atmosphere.
fuck off penguin.  I'll take my ban to tell you to go fuck your self.  Ban please.   I am waiting.

FLAT_IS_TRUTH

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »

Throwing in a number doesn't make what you are saying any smarter or right. Plus if you get high enough and change your PERSPECTIVE then you can indeed see clouds curving with the atmosphere.

Providing evidence doesn't make me any more correct? Thats just silly. Just goes to show how you REers reject any evidence that goes against your worldview, even though you don't have any good reason to reject it.
And please, could you give me a picture of these clouds curving away?

CaptainMagpie

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 11:26:45 AM »

Providing evidence doesn't make me any more correct? Thats just silly. Just goes to show how you REers reject any evidence that goes against your worldview, even though you don't have any good reason to reject it.
Lol, first off that was not evidence.

Second:

FLAT_IS_TRUTH

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 11:34:57 AM »

Second:

Of course you bring up a picture by NASA or some other space agency. We all know image scan easily be faked and manipulated to trick us.
the picture you presented doesnt even show clouds curving away! It shows the illusion of the earth curving away, probably with a fish eye lens. The clouds never go under the horizon or curve in the picture.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »

Second:

Of course you bring up a picture by NASA or some other space agency. We all know image scan easily be faked and manipulated to trick us.
the picture you presented doesnt even show clouds curving away! It shows the illusion of the earth curving away, probably with a fish eye lens. The clouds never go under the horizon or curve in the picture.
Do you understand that the horizon is relative to one particular position?

CaptainMagpie

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »

Second:

Look who is trying to call the kettle black. I provided some actual evidence, not my fault if you are too ignorant to accept it.

FLAT_IS_TRUTH

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 12:03:36 PM »

Second:

Look who is trying to call the kettle black. I provided some actual evidence, not my fault if you are too ignorant to accept it.

I'm ignorant to question the origins of a source? We all know that NASA uses fish eye lenses and makes composites instead of taking real pictures, no matter how much they try to hide that. I said I wanted DEMONSTRABLE evidence.

CaptainMagpie

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 12:07:06 PM »

Second:

I'm ignorant to question the origins of a source? We all know that NASA uses fish eye lenses and makes composites instead of taking real pictures, no matter how much they try to hide that. I said I wanted DEMONSTRABLE evidence.
It is so fun playing with a troll.
It was actually just taken by a dude on the ISS with a camera so no fish eye here. Care to try again?

FLAT_IS_TRUTH

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »

Second:

It was actually just taken by a dude on the ISS with a camera so no fish eye here. Care to try again?

You really trust astronauts working for NASA? You're referring to NASA to prove NASA? Circular argumentation at its finest.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »
Second:

... It shows the illusion of the earth curving away, probably with a fish eye lens.
If it were barrel distortion due to a fisheye lens, the straight lines of the panels and truss at the right side of the picture wouldn't be straight. Try again.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Uninvited Guest

• A clone cloned by a smartphone
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 12:54:25 PM »

Second:

It was actually taken by a dude on the ISS LOL
Really amazing that you're able to think  that some random dude just pulled a camera out of his pocket and thought "this will be a great picture with no fish eyes"... and  then occasionally you found it... everything is beautiful and coincidental.
The science in her trance will make the sign of cross
And we will light bonfires to appreciate the electric bulb.

CaptainMagpie

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »
You really trust astronauts working for NASA? You're referring to NASA to prove NASA? Circular argumentation at its finest.
I'm not trying to prove anything about NASA. NASA didn't bring us the idea that the earth is round so that has nothing to do with it. You're free to do your own research and get the same types of photos from other organizations or even private individuals if you like. Though I'm sure every singe one of them is just in on it huh?

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 01:02:44 PM »
I said I wanted DEMONSTRABLE evidence.

Like what?
Any picture could be fake;
All the documents could be forged;
Every witness could be lying;
All the math could just be invented.

What exactly do you want us to do? If you are simply going to throw out every single observation as "wrong", you will end up where you started regardless. Why do you bother?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 10:26:41 PM »

Where on earth did you get "8 feet per mile"? For a start that is linear, NOT exponential and I believe that what you are looking for is 8" per (mile squared), which is still NOT exponential.
So, I should really simply tell you to "go back to the drawing board!" and try again.
But, we can work it out roughly. A typical cloud base might be at around 1000 m (about 3300' - it varies a lot of course).
By the rough formula of 8" * (miles squared) you should see the cloud base on the horizon about 70 miles away - a more accurate figure is about 80 miles.
Now the circumference of the Globe is near enough to 25,000 miles, so the angle of tilt of those clouds should be about 360° x (80/25000) = 1.1°.

I don't think anyone would claim to be able to see a cloud tilting by 1.1°.

Do I need to say any more.
This is the same as "Proof of Flat Earth" videos on Youtube showing buildings with hundreds of feet hidden behind the horizon claiming that the Earth is not a Globe because they can't see any tilt.

Just more of the same thing that we see all the time:
I can't understand the Globe, so the Earth must be Flat!
Then when you get into the Flat Earth model (any flat earth model), there are many, many more things that simply do not accord with reality.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »
Satanic Science:

Beucause of the particuls movements...

Why we see the oceans blue? Because the particuls that have blue colur...

Why do we see the sky is blue? Because the particuls...

We can explain everything with particuls...

So ask me why isn't the world flat? "Because most of the particuls are not flat in the world."  ;D  :D
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 11:23:37 PM »
Hi OP

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasa2explore/sets/72157648374058938/

This is English astronaut Scott Kelly's flickr. There are hundreds and hundreds of photos that he has taken alone that would have to either by made from scratch or heavily manipulated... just where do NASA hide these army of CGI/photoshop masters that bring out new content everyday?

Also, as you've already been told, RET has very little to do with NASA. We knew the Earth was spherical thousands of years ago. Are you suggesting the ConspiracyTM dates back to then?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 12:14:07 AM »
Satanic Science:
Quote from: İntikam

Beucause of the particuls movements...
I have no idea what you are talking about with this.

Why we see the oceans blue? Because the particuls that have blue colur...
No! Clean water is colourless. The ocean is blue simply because it reflects the blue of the sky. Have a look when the sky is very overcast.

Why do we see the sky is blue? Because the particuls...
No! Air molecules are too small to actually have colour of their own, but they do scatter the light. The blue light (shorter wavelength) is scattered more than the other colours, so we see the sky as blue.
The same effects explain the reds, orange and yellows of sunsets. These longer wavelengths are scattered less than the shorter blues (and greens) so when we are looking at the sun through a much more thickness of the  atmosphere we see the reddish colours.

We can explain everything with particuls...
To some extent yes, since everything is composed of molecules (not quite true as we have plasmas as well - getting complicated),
but looking at everything this way is just too complicated!

So ask me why isn't the world flat? "Because most of the particuls are not flat in the world."  ;D  :D
Now you are simply writing nonsense!

The only answer I can give to that question is i don't know, why the earth is not flat. Yes there are theories that look reasonable, as to why the earth is a Globe, but that does not prove it.

But, the Earth is the shape that is! We can, and have, measured the earth. These measurements have been performed by "Geodetic Surveyors" with increasing accuracy from say 1,000 AD (or even earlier) till the present day.

In closing, science itself is not Satanic, and is neither good nor bad. Science simply means knowledge and there has been Babylonian, Egyptian, Greek, Islamic and Western (as well as Indian and oriental) science through the ages. Current science is based on the parts of all of this history of knowledge that have "stood the test of time". And this knowledge can be used for good or evil - and we have all seen plenty of evidence of each.

I have said enough, but it is what I honestly believe to be the truth.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 03:24:32 PM »

Second:

the fact that the sail of the ISS isn't curved proves that this isn't taken with a fish-eye lens.