Does This Prove The Earth Is NOT Round Like A Globe?

• 17 Replies

Yendor

Does This Prove The Earth Is NOT Round Like A Globe?
« on: April 17, 2016, 11:33:30 AM »
I recently watched a video on YT and the person who made it said that if in fact we live on a spinning globe, then the sun should dip lower in the sky at noon then it does at sunrise and sunset. In other words the sun should form sort of a smiley face across the sky as the Earth spins on its axis. I've never seen or heard this before. I've only heard that the sun follows an arch throughout the day from east to west. I know during the summer months the sun rises almost directly east of me and it sets almost directly west of me and it is almost directly over my head at noon. I've never seen it dip or be lower in the sky at noon. I found this image on the internet and I added the sun and my location with a red diamond shape. If you notice from my perspective on the globe I would see the sunrise almost directly east of me. But, if you can visualize as you turn the earth towards the east my location would appear to rise up until I am directly in front of the sun, as it would be at high noon, and should I not see the sun more towards the south then what I see now, the sun directly over my head? As the earth continues to spin eastwards, my location would to appear to be going down until sunset where I would look directly west to see the sun. From my perspective, the sun would rise from the east and go southeast, south, southwest, and set in the west. I look forward to some thoughts or opinions about this from both FEers and REers. The link below is to the YT video I watched.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

CaptainMagpie

• Aristibird of Knowledge
Re: Does This Prove The Earth Is NOT Round Like A Globe?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »
I don't understand why he thinks the sun would work the way it does and he never explains his reasoning for coming to that conclusion in the first place and just states that is impossible for the sun to move the way it does. And I'm not sure what the head turning thing he was talking about would actually show.
fuck off penguin.  I'll take my ban to tell you to go fuck your self.  Ban please.   I am waiting.

Yendor

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »
I don't understand why he thinks the sun would work the way it does and he never explains his reasoning for coming to that conclusion in the first place and just states that is impossible for the sun to move the way it does. And I'm not sure what the head turning thing he was talking about would actually show.

I know what you mean. He didn't explain it very well, that is why I tried to explain it more specifically. There is another video that someone else has that explains it as well. Here is that link.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

CaptainMagpie

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:00:11 PM »

I know what you mean. He didn't explain it very well, that is why I tried to explain it more specifically. There is another video that someone else has that explains it as well. Here is that link.

I didn't see enough change in that video to be certain it was not just the materials being used. A random globe he admits already had leveling issues and a camera haphazardly attacked to it didn't really convince me. For the most part it was strait and the tiny dip I did see seemed just related to the equipment to me.
fuck off penguin.  I'll take my ban to tell you to go fuck your self.  Ban please.   I am waiting.

Yendor

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 03:15:45 PM »

I didn't see enough change in that video to be certain it was not just the materials being used. A random globe he admits already had leveling issues and a camera haphazardly attacked to it didn't really convince me. For the most part it was strait and the tiny dip I did see seemed just related to the equipment to me.

Okay then, thanks for your explanation.
                              George Orwell

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »
From where I am (the UK), the sun rises in a general eastwards direction, passes its highest point in a direction south of the zenith, and sets in a general westerly direction. So what you describe is what happens.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

CaptainMagpie

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 04:04:20 PM »
I feel like Jadyyn would probably be better equipped to tackle this one.

Yendor

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 04:38:02 PM »
From where I am (the UK), the sun rises in a general eastwards direction, passes its highest point in a direction south of the zenith, and sets in a general westerly direction. So what you describe is what happens.

So, what you are saying is where you are located you see the sun rise and set in a straight arch from eastward to westward with no southern arch at all. This would be the same if you where to envision the sun rising and setting over a flat plain. If you look at my drawing you can see that I am located above the tropic of cancer, that to me means that when the earth rotates around until the sun faces me, say at noon, the sun should be directly south of me looking straight towards the tropic of cancer. For me it is not that way. It appears to be almost directly over head. I'm at around 38o N and the UK is around 50oN, that means the sun should be further south for you then it is for me. Do you think I'm wrong on my deduction? If so, please explain why you think that way.
                              George Orwell

Poko

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 05:34:53 PM »
I've never seen or heard this before. I've only heard that the sun follows an arch throughout the day from east to west.

That's because flat earthers are so simple minded that their brains will fry if you try to introduce concepts like axial tilt. They are already confused by simple facts and observations, so explaining slightly more complicated facts will only confuse them further.

I'm sure most scientifically literate people here would love to discuss things like axial tilt, axial precession, and atmospheric refraction, but flat earthers can't even accept that planets are visible in the night sky and can be observed rather accurately using commercial-grade telescopes.
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »
So, in the second video, the guy basically has a camera somewhat attached to a globe that rotates while keeping the camera level with the light, having set it up so the equator is level..... and he wants to compare this how a real globe Earth works.  This doesn't work very well.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 01:49:42 AM »

So, what you are saying is where you are located you see the sun rise and set in a straight arch from eastward to westward with no southern arch at all. This would be the same if you where to envision the sun rising and setting over a flat plain. If you look at my drawing you can see that I am located above the tropic of cancer, that to me means that when the earth rotates around until the sun faces me, say at noon, the sun should be directly south of me looking straight towards the tropic of cancer. For me it is not that way. It appears to be almost directly over head. I'm at around 38o N and the UK is around 50oN, that means the sun should be further south for you then it is for me. Do you think I'm wrong on my deduction? If so, please explain why you think that way.

If you are at 38o N then at around noon on midsummer day the sun for you should be about 15o from directly above you, towards the south. (Calculated from 38 - 23 = 15).

You're correct that the further north you are then the greater this angle from the vertical will be.

Yendor

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 06:36:42 AM »
I've never seen or heard this before. I've only heard that the sun follows an arch throughout the day from east to west.

That's because flat earthers are so simple minded that their brains will fry if you try to introduce concepts like axial tilt. They are already confused by simple facts and observations, so explaining slightly more complicated facts will only confuse them further.

I'm sure most scientifically literate people here would love to discuss things like axial tilt, axial precession, and atmospheric refraction, but flat earthers can't even accept that planets are visible in the night sky and can be observed rather accurately using commercial-grade telescopes.

I assume you are kidding when you make blanket statements like that about FEers. I don't won't this post to turn into just insults against each other.
                              George Orwell

Yendor

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 07:20:06 AM »

If you are at 38o N then at around noon on midsummer day the sun for you should be about 15o from directly above you, towards the south. (Calculated from 38 - 23 = 15).

You're correct that the further north you are then the greater this angle from the vertical will be.

Yes, I believe you are correct, I think the suns path is more towards the south at noon then directly overhead from east to west. I see it pretty much the way this image shows.

George Orwell

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
I haven't spent very much time (if any) reading this thread, but here is the short answer:
No.

To fall into the belief of a flat Earth is to deny YOUR OWN cognizance.

Yendor

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »
I haven't spent very much time (if any) reading this thread, but here is the short answer:
No.

Even though the sun does pass overhead at an angle doesn't mean we can't experience the same thing if the earth is flat. I believe the video really proves nothing.
                              George Orwell

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 12:58:04 PM »

Er, did you not see the words PASSES ITS HIGHEST POINT IN A DIRECTION SOUTH OF THE ZENITH? And if you did see them, what do you think they mean? How the hell did you interpret that phrase to mean I see the sun go directly from east to west passing straight overhead? ::)
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Yendor

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 01:18:21 PM »

Er, did you not see the words PASSES ITS HIGHEST POINT IN A DIRECTION SOUTH OF THE ZENITH? And if you did see them, what do you think they mean? How the hell did you interpret that phrase to mean I see the sun go directly from east to west passing straight overhead? ::)

Because my friend, I wasn't thinking straight. I later on changed my mind and said, "Yes, I believe you are correct, I think the suns path is more towards the south at noon then directly overhead from east to west". Did you not see that or are you trying to make another point? ???
                              George Orwell

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 08:00:21 PM »
I feel like Jadyyn would probably be better equipped to tackle this one.
I didn't want to get into this because what you would visually see when the Earth is spinning diagonally (per OP diagram) is difficult to explain intuitively from most places on Earth. Simply put, given that the Sun is in the same place in the sky, the lower you go because of latitude, the higher the Sun appears (and vice versa). This is the vertical component. When you add the spin component, you need to add the curvature of the Earth as well. Then you need to add the spin being diagonal most of the time (except at equinox). As you can see, this gets very complicated very fast. So, I didn't want to get into it.

At best, I would recommend seeing it visually - taking a cellphone, setting it on movie mode, attaching it to a large sphere and making a movie of how a lamp/light bulb looks "in the sky" (the Sun's track in the sky). That is probably the best I can do.
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."