Where are the flames on this rocket?

• 10 Replies
Where are the flames on this rocket?
« on: April 15, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
I am a round-earther of course, but even if I don't understand something I will bring it up.

There might've been a time or two I didn't bring up something suspicious.

Anyway, I'm trying to find why this rocket on the Mercury mission didn't have any flames.

I can't find another clip of this, it's only in this fan-made video. It's at :19 seconds in.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">! No longer available

Does anyone know??

I'll let you all know if I find anything. Until then, I thought flat-earthers might enjoy it.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Re: Where are the flames on this rocket?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »
The flame is right below the rocket where it belongs.  The Redstone rocket used liquid oxygen and ethyl alcohol for propellant.  Alcohol doesn't produce a terribly bright flame when it burns.  Then again, neither does liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen.

That is the most weak-ass flame I have ever seen.

I guess they didn't have a water deluge system at this point, which would've made it look less weak-ass.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
The flame is right below the rocket where it belongs.  The Redstone rocket used liquid oxygen and ethyl alcohol for propellant.  Alcohol is just one of any number of propellants that don't produce a terribly bright flame when they burn. 

Sorry for the ninja edit.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 08:29:23 PM »

I guess they didn't have a water deluge system at this point, which would've made it look less weak-ass.
To be fair, the Redstone really wasn't that burly of a rocket anyway (it was only an SRBM, not an ICBM like the Atlas or Titan II that were used later).  As I recall, it was based on the V2 and used pretty much the same propellants and steering vanes in the exhaust stream.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:35:26 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:46:26 PM »

To be fair, the Redstone really wasn't that burly of a rocket anyway (it was only an SRBM, not an ICBM like the Atlas or Titan II that were used later).  As I recall, it was based on the V2 and used pretty much the same propellants and steering vanes in the exhaust stream.
Okay, yeah, it's not often I watch rockets that aren't orbital-class.

(Sorry Blue Origin, I don't care about you)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 05:11:39 AM »
The flame is right below the rocket where it belongs.  The Redstone rocket used liquid oxygen and ethyl alcohol for propellant.  Alcohol doesn't produce a terribly bright flame when it burns.  Then again, neither does liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen.

A much bigger rocket that doesn't produce a great gout of fire and smoke is the Delta IV Heavy (nothing light about that one - certainly orbital class!).
All stages (Booster, 1st and second) use LH2/LOX fuel producing only steam as the exhaust. The Space Shuttle Boosters used solid fuel motors - plenty of smoke and fire!
The Saturn V used Liquid Oxygen and RP-1 (near enough to kerosene) - again plenty of visible flame - much more spectacular than the Delta IV Heavy!
There is certainly a flame, but no smoke after the flurry at launch.

Launch of Delta IV Heavy with NROL-15 Payload

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »

A much bigger rocket that doesn't produce a great gout of fire and smoke is the Delta IV Heavy (nothing light about that one - certainly orbital class!).
All stages (Booster, 1st and second) use LH2/LOX fuel producing only steam as the exhaust. The Space Shuttle Boosters used solid fuel motors - plenty of smoke and fire!
The Saturn V used Liquid Oxygen and RP-1 (near enough to kerosene) - again plenty of visible flame - much more spectacular than the Delta IV Heavy!
There is certainly a flame, but no smoke after the flurry at launch.

Launch of Delta IV Heavy with NROL-15 Payload

No. Compare the two.

Plenty of flame at ignition on the Delta IV

Here watch the redstone launch again. Markjo's pic was not from the video I linked.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Mercury-Redstone 3 launch

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 10:15:57 AM »
You can see the flame under the rocket.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 11:29:14 AM »
You can see the flame under the rocket.
Screengrab?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »
It's right there under the nozzle in your picture and the video.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 09:21:02 PM »
It's right there under the nozzle in your picture and the video.