Max Speed

• 9 Replies
Max Speed
« on: April 11, 2016, 03:36:58 PM »
If the earth is flat and speeding up at 9.8 m/s the we should of reach the speed of light in less then a year. And if we have reach the speed of light then how are we still accelerating.
If there is no max speed then we dose light travel at the speed of light.
If we are going faster then the speed of light then how do we shine a flash light up.
if the speed of light is relative then why dose the speed of light relative to the earth not change if we are moving.

Junker

Re: Max Speed
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 06:05:45 PM »
If the earth is flat and speeding up at 9.8 m/s the we should of reach the speed of light in less then a year. And if we have reach the speed of light then how are we still accelerating.
If we are going faster then the speed of light then how do we shine a flash light up.
if the speed of light is relative then why dose the speed of light relative to the earth not change if we are moving.

No, we wouldn't reach the speed of light. Ever. We would asymptotically approach the speed of light without ever reaching it. I would suggest a look at Special Relativity to gain a better understanding.

?

palmerito0

• Why does this forum exist?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:05:22 PM »

No, we wouldn't reach the speed of light. Ever. We would asymptotically approach the speed of light without ever reaching it. I would suggest a look at Special Relativity to gain a better understanding.

And our mass would increase exponentially.

E=MC2 buddy.
Heiwa on the impossibility of space travel:

There are no toilets up there and sex is also a problem, just to mention a few difficulties.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Junker

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »

E=MC2 buddy.

Inertial mass, yes. How is that relevant? It becomes "harder" to accelerate, which requires more energy.

I feel like you are trying to spout a grossly simplified expression to an incredibly complex subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_special_relativity#The_relativistic_energy-momentum_equation

?

palmerito0

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 08:20:16 PM »

E=MC2 buddy.

Inertial mass, yes. How is that relevant? It becomes "harder" to accelerate, which requires more energy.

I feel like you are trying to spout a grossly simplified expression to an incredibly complex subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_special_relativity#The_relativistic_energy-momentum_equation

Yes, it becomes "harder" to accelerate, and more energy is required. You can't keep accelerating forever.

There are no toilets up there and sex is also a problem, just to mention a few difficulties.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Junker

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »
You can't keep accelerating forever.

False.

?

palmerito0

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:16:31 PM »

False.

You can't keep accelerating forever at the same rate.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Junker

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 11:04:27 AM »

False.

Also false.

?

palmerito0

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 11:06:16 AM »

False.

Also false.

Explain please?

EDIT: Ah yes I see my mistake.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:10:05 AM by palmerito0 »

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »

False.

If the acceleration slows down, so does the force what is holding you and everything else to the ground in you FE model.

but I love your one word absolute statements. Though saying something like that doesn't make it so. Nice try

Also false.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...