Geodetic Surveying PROVES a round earth: Why are we wasting time debating?

• 58 Replies
I cannot comprehend why a debate needs to even go on. It seems that the FE'ers will never concede regardless of the evidence.  Needless to say Geodetic Surveying clearly and quickly proves that the earth is round. This is based on everyday experience from professionals in the field and which is based on over 300 years of geodetic surveying being conducted independently by countless surveyors over the centuries.  Clearly a debate with FE'ers has become so utterly preposterous that I question their sanity. 

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

I cannot comprehend why a debate needs to even go on. It seems that the FE'ers will never concede regardless of the evidence.  Needless to say Geodetic Surveying clearly and quickly proves that the earth is round. This is based on everyday experience from professionals in the field and which is based on over 300 years of geodetic surveying being conducted independently by countless surveyors over the centuries.  Clearly a debate with FE'ers has become so utterly preposterous that I question their sanity. 

All fake. Shills, in on the conspiracy. Or just stupid and getting their measurements wrong. Or equipment is rigged. Or Aether.

All fake. Shills, in on the conspiracy. Or just stupid and getting their measurements wrong. Or equipment is rigged. Or Aether.

Yes indeed; all of the geodetic surveyors were all masons educated by Jesuits and given misaligned surveying equipment.  hahaha... and this is the kind of logic we're dealing with?  And these are people that reside among us and are allowed to procreate, vote and own guns!  The horror!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
What FEers will not acknowledge is that for many countries quite accurate dimensions have been available for centuries.

For example there is this map of Australia, registered in 1855, so must have been drawn from surveys made before that date. The copy of the map I have is about 60 MB and 6839x5701 pixels. Since the map had a distance scale I was able to determine the width of a degree of longitude at various latitudes.
For each of four latitudes I scaled the distance from lat 130° to lat 138° and converted this to km/deg at that latitude and also calculated what the ideal km/deg would be if the equatorial circumference of the earth were 40,000 km.

Lat

dist km

km/deg
    calc
    km/deg
10°
18°
26°
34°
The width of each degree simply scaled from an (admittedly large) old map agrees to far better accuracy than we would expect with the width of each degree on a (spherical) Globe.

And, of course, it also confirms that the equatorial circumference of the earth must be close to 40,000 km.
By the way, if I scaled these figures according to the shape of the "Ice Map" of the Flat Earth there would have been TWO problems showing up. Firstly there would have been NO agreement as to the equatorial circumference and secondly, if we used just one of these latitudes the "equatorial circumference" of the Flat Earth would have come to much LESS than 40,000 km, not about 62,800 km (2 x π x 10,000 km) as required for a disk.

The map below has been reduced to 1200x1000 pixels.

Map of Australia registered in 1855.
If anyone is interested the map can be found at:

<< tidied up formatting >>
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:46:44 PM by rabinoz »

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer

Good afternoon and I hope you had a most blessed Easter Morn yesterday.

I agree, with much on the attached video and I disagree with very little. Having taken surveying courses in my formative years I will say that this gentlemen understands completely surveying and why geodetic surveys prove absolutely nothing.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"  J Stalin

"It is not the people that vote that count it is the people that count the votes" J Stalin

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam

I agree, with much on the attached video and I disagree with very little. Having taken surveying courses in my formative years I will say that this gentlemen understands completely surveying and why geodetic surveys prove absolutely nothing.

The surveyor interviewed,  said quite clearly he only ever did plane surveys,  and never did a geodetic survey.   So the whole video has zero relevance.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer

On the attached link you will see ckljamas completely and utter refute this geodetic survey nonsense. It is used for nothing- and I remind you that a theodolite cannot view anything over the horizon.

The surveyor interviewed,  said quite clearly he only ever did plane surveys,  and never did a geodetic survey.   So the whole video has zero relevance.
"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"  J Stalin

"It is not the people that vote that count it is the people that count the votes" J Stalin

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
You messed up your quote tree a little bit, Sir Richard.  Would you mind me fixing that for you? 

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
You messed up your quote tree a little bit, Sir Richard.  Would you mind me fixing that for you?
Please do and thank you very much.

Here we go again...diversion and obfuscation, half-truths, avoidance, etc.. Classic FE debate methods.  Geodetic Surveying does in fact PROVE a curved earth.  End of story. Enjoy...

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
Here we go again...diversion and obfuscation, half-truths, avoidance, etc.. Classic FE debate methods.  Geodetic Surveying does in fact PROVE a curved earth.  End of story. Enjoy...
The poster cikljamas destroys this geodetic argument being made on the thread below
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=66107.0#.Vvk1Z8ec9FI

The poster cikljamas destroys this geodetic argument being made on the thread below

I don't know what you're talking about ol' chap.  He didn't even come close.  Before you even try to claim Geodetic Surveying is somehow "flawed," you need to explain how countless of Geodetic Surveyors over all our continents somehow coordinated their conspiracy and which continues to be kept a secret.  I assume there is a Round Earth Conspiracy 101 course that every surveyor takes?  Come now, you can't be so insane...Or?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

I don't know what you're talking about ol' chap.  He didn't even come close.  Before you even try to claim Geodetic Surveying is somehow "flawed," you need to explain how countless of Geodetic Surveyors over all our continents somehow coordinated their conspiracy and which continues to be kept a secret.  I assume there is a Round Earth Conspiracy 101 course that every surveyor takes?  Come now, you can't be so insane...Or?

You don't have to be part of a conspiracy in order to be wrong, especially when your teachers were roundies. 

You don't have to be part of a conspiracy in order to be wrong, especially when your teachers were roundies.

I have yet to hear about one educator, scientist or credible industry professional claim the world is flat.  Unlike other credible conspiracy movements, the FE folks can't seem to provide one credible insider. Any secret government documents proving anything? Nope? What does the FE movement actually have?  All I can see is that it's led by the most pathetic bunch of YouTube "researchers"...is there anyone that you can point to that is an authority in anything? 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
I have yet to hear about one educator, scientist or credible industry professional claim the world is flat.   

That does not surprise me.  The educators are not only indoctrinated, they are also the indoctrinators. 

Dog

• Literally a dog

Oh yeah the genius cikljamas. Such a genius that we usually can't follow his incoherent, convoluted, incorrect posts.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

Oh yeah the genius cikljamas. Such a genius that we usually can't follow his incoherent, convoluted, incorrect posts.

There are plenty of RE'ers with whom this applies as well. 

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer

Are you implying that all these Geodetic Surveyors since maybe al Burini's time have been wrong about the shapes of countries and continents?

I imagine you live in the USA. Do you know the shape and size of that country. Were all those Geodetic Surveyors right about the shape and size?

And, I suppose you have noticed that these maps have not changed significantly since we have had GPS mapping. Those surveyors were very accurate.

I wish you would just realise that Geodetic Surveyors do not set out to prove that the earth is a globe (or any other shape), they just measure the land.

There has so far not been one reasonable explanation for how Geodetic Surveyors have been functioning unwittingly as part of this grand conspiracy.  They always fail to provide any proof of this conspiracy in the form of confidential documents, leaked information, or even a credible witness or whistle blower.  Nothing.  There isn't one piece of documentation or testimony that is usable as evidence, well, since there isn't any.  This is so obviously a sophisticated co-intel hoax...poor fools.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

Are you implying that all these Geodetic Surveyors since maybe al Burini's time have been wrong about the shapes of countries and continents?

I imagine you live in the USA. Do you know the shape and size of that country. Were all those Geodetic Surveyors right about the shape and size?

And, I suppose you have noticed that these maps have not changed significantly since we have had GPS mapping. Those surveyors were very accurate.

I wish you would just realise that Geodetic Surveyors do not set out to prove that the earth is a globe (or any other shape), they just measure the land.

Oh, I suppose that scientists are infallible now?  They never make mistakes, right? 

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA

Oh, I suppose that scientists are infallible now?  They never make mistakes, right?
They have their work peer-reviewed to find and correct mistakes.  But with a concept as all-encompassing as the shape of the earth, it's foolish to assume that they've all been making the same mistakes every time. 
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

They have their work peer-reviewed to find and correct mistakes.  But with a concept as all-encompassing as the shape of the earth, it's foolish to assume that they've all been making the same mistakes every time. 

For how many years did the tobacco scientists claim that tobacco is not bad for you? 

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA

For how many years did the tobacco scientists claim that tobacco is not bad for you?
That's irrelevant.  We're talking about whether the entire scientific community, including geodetic surveyors, astronomers, seismologists, aerospace engineers, climatologists, and countless others could be wrong in the exact same way, and you, with no relevant education of any sort, could somehow be smarter than all of them.  God complex much?
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

That's irrelevant.  We're talking about whether the entire scientific community, including geodetic surveyors, astronomers, seismologists, aerospace engineers, climatologists, and countless others could be wrong in the exact same way, and you, with no relevant education of any sort, could somehow be smarter than all of them.  God complex much?

What do you mean by "no relevant education of any sort?"  I'll have you know that I have two science degrees.  I bet you feel sort of dumb for saying that now, am I right? 

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA

What do you mean by "no relevant education of any sort?"  I'll have you know that I have two science degrees.  I bet you feel sort of dumb for saying that now, am I right?
No I don't, because you obviously don't use them.  And furthermore, I was referring to flat earthers in general.  You as a society have no qualifications to tell the scientific community that they're wrong.  You're just a bunch of jackasses standing in a circle, turning down your chance to give a damn. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

Yes, and then when medical technology (x-ray, etc...) proved that smoking destroys your lungs, the tobacco companies changed and admit that smoking is bad for your health. They changed when proven wrong, why can't you?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

No I don't, because you obviously don't use them.  And furthermore, I was referring to flat earthers in general.  You as a society have no qualifications to tell the scientific community that they're wrong.  You're just a bunch of jackasses standing in a circle, turning down your chance to give a damn. 

But, I do use them; every day I use them, both at work and even here on this site.  I am sorry that my knowledge of science somehow intimidates or belittles you, but I can assure you that just because you don't like my science, that does not mean it is invalid. 

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA

But, I do use them; every day I use them, both at work and even here on this site.  I am sorry that my knowledge of science somehow intimidates or belittles you, but I can assure you that just because you don't like my science, that does not mean it is invalid.
Really now.  What science degrees do you have, then, that are so relevant to the shape of the earth? 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Geodetic surveying assumes a round earth as an axiom. It is impossible for it to prove the earth is round because of this. However, it does allow us to disprove a round earth as it is modeled by surveying via reductio ad absurdum by simply finding incoherence within its model.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
Geodetic surveying assumes a round earth as an axiom. It is impossible for it to prove the earth is round because of this. However, it does allow us to disprove a round earth as it is modeled by surveying via reductio ad absurdum by simply finding incoherence within its model.
But do they find incoherence?  No, they don't. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate