Clouds on the Horizon

• 16 Replies

Shaddow24

• Round Earther
Clouds on the Horizon
« on: March 27, 2016, 12:37:20 AM »
Look at this image:

Those clouds are clearly touching the horizon.
You don't generally get clouds like this at ground level, so the explanation is simple, the Earth is curved and the clouds go over the horizon.

FEers, please explain how this is supposed to work on a flat Earth.
I am prepared and wearing tin-foil to block the impending stupidity and extreme denial.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Clouds on the Horizon
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 04:27:15 AM »
Perspective also makes airplanes appears to get closer to the ground as they travel away from you.  Are you really this confused or amazed by the laws of perspective? 

Shaddow24

• Round Earther
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 07:01:54 PM »
Perspective also makes airplanes appears to get closer to the ground as they travel away from you.  Are you really this confused or amazed by the laws of perspective?

Let me show you how perspective works.

On a spherical Earth, it's simple.

Say you had a really long cloud, 2 people at different points would be able to see different parts of it, as the cloud curves along with the Earth.

Now let's say we have a flat Earth with a long thin plane that goes across it:

The plane appears to get thinner as it gets closer to the horizon. But it never touches the horizon.

It simply can't appear to touch the horizon, because it isn't actually touching it.

As long as the plane is not touching the ground at all, there will always be that little gap at the horizon. On the photo I showed in the original post, the clouds clearly appear to be touching the horizon.

And in the example I just showed, that is a plane that stretches across the whole flat Earth. You don't get clouds that big, so there would be a considerably larger gap between the horizon and the plane.

And again, what you said about aeroplanes...
Perspective also makes airplanes appears to get closer to the ground as they travel away from you.
You can clearly see planes fly over the horizon. This is not at all possible on a flat Earth.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:00:15 PM by Shaddow24 »
I am prepared and wearing tin-foil to block the impending stupidity and extreme denial.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 09:28:05 PM »
It simply can't appear to touch the horizon, because it isn't actually touching it.

Wrong.

I have seen with my own eyes what appears to be a ship's hull going below the horizon, only to increase magnification and see it back in full view.

?

palmerito0

• Why does this forum exist?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 09:42:33 PM »

Wrong.

I have seen with my own eyes what appears to be a ship's hull going below the horizon, only to increase magnification and see it back in full view.

And I've seen exactly the opposite.

(Or have I?)
Heiwa on the impossibility of space travel:

There are no toilets up there and sex is also a problem, just to mention a few difficulties.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Shaddow24

• Round Earther
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 10:42:33 PM »

Wrong.

Yes, well, ships don't fly, do they. Of course you are going to see a ship touch the horizon, because they are actually on the water. Clouds on the other hand, are not. If the Earth was flat, you shouldn't be able to see clouds touching the horizon.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 03:53:45 AM »
I think that you people need to study up on visual perspective. 

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 04:01:00 AM »
Please provide a diagram to explain what you (tell us you) believe.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 04:10:18 AM »

What?  You mean like this?

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 04:22:23 AM »

The point is the clouds appear beyond the horizon, as expected on a round earth.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 04:29:35 AM »

The point is the clouds appear beyond the horizon, as expected on a round earth.

If the Earth is round, you can't see beyond the horizon in order to know where the clouds are.  :-\

Shaddow24

• Round Earther
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 04:30:44 AM »

That diagram works on a round Earth, not a flat Earth. The telegraph poles would not eventually disappear on a flat Earth. The end of the line might not be visible with the naked eye, but with a telescope you would be able to find it.

On a round Earth, the telegraph poles simply go over the horizon along with the curvature of the Earth.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 04:40:37 AM »
The telegraph poles would not eventually disappear on a flat Earth. The end of the line might not be visible with the naked eye, but with a telescope you would be able to find it.

Oh Geez.  Do I have to explain to you again that air is not perfectly transparent and that the distance to the horizon changes on a day-to-day basis?  Can you people stay on one topic for more than 2 posts?   Did you forget to take your ADHD meds this morning?  ::)

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 04:49:56 AM »
The telegraph poles would not eventually disappear on a flat Earth. The end of the line might not be visible with the naked eye, but with a telescope you would be able to find it.

Oh Geez.  Do I have to explain to you again that air is not perfectly transparent and that the distance to the horizon changes on a day-to-day basis?  Can you people stay on one topic for more than 2 posts?   Did you forget to take your ADHD meds this morning?  ::)
Personal abuse again.  I thought you had banned it.

The horizon is a fixed distance based on height and radius.  Nothing to do with perspective or the air.

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 04:57:38 AM »

Jora is ignoring the post from a few years ago where an even better and more obvious photo of clouds emerging from the horizon was posted, with a demonstration of what it looked like at different altitudes. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread, otherwise I'd break his teeth on those pictures right here. It utterly disproved his perspective/atmosphere argument.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 11:15:40 AM »
Do you mean something like this:
(http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=65105.msg1744796#msg1744796)

The land is NOT on the water but above it.
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Shaddow24

• Round Earther
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 11:43:34 PM »

Fine, let's skip clouds or boats or telegraph poles or whatever going over the horizon.
Tell me how the Sun works. If the Sun were circling above us as FEers say, tell me how it appears to go over the horizon.

Don't tell me it has something to do with the atmosphere bending light or whatever because 1. There would be no way for the Sun to appear that far away from it's place in the sky without being majorly distorted (it wouldn't be a circular shape), and 2. That would mean that the atmosphere makes clouds look distorted during the day and the stars look distorted during the night.