The flat earth movement and the rejection of established knowledge.

• 33 Replies
Needless to say the Earth is not flat. This has been proven beyond all doubt by over a thousand years of intellectual enlightenment, yet flat earthers reject the progess of society with inadequate justification,desperately grasping at mere plausibility and calling it "proof". My question is why? Why just haphazardly throw out years and years of scientific exploration that produced a valid model of our world. I can agree with the questioning of established knowledge, if said questioning displays valid objections, the notion of a flat earth is not a valid objection.

I am well aware that many who claim to hold this irrational belief may be doing so for their own entertainment, however it would appear that in the recent weeks I have browsed these forums, more and more have joined who seem genuine. More worrying is that many of these new believers claim to have children and entertain the possibility of educating them in these falsehoods. I sincerely hope that this doesn't lead to flat earth perpetuating itself. I will likely post more musings later. For now focus on my earlier question.

Please do highlight fallacies and discrepancies, I would like to improve my arguments. I may be newly registered but I have observed the forums for quite some time and am familiar with many of the frequent users and their posts. Thank you. I look forward to replies.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:03:40 AM by The Jazz Singer »

?

tappet

Re: The flat earth movment and the rejection of established knowledge.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:30:29 AM »
More worrying is that many of these new believers claim to have children and entertain the possibility of educating them in these falsehoods.
Not the children!!!!! Dirty scoundrels, which ones claimed this? Lets name and shame them.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
Re: The flat earth movment and the rejection of established knowledge.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:12:38 AM »
desperatley

Let's hope these 'new believers' teach their poor flat-headed children to spell 'desperately' correctly, eh?

As well as the word 'movement'.

I look forward to replies.

Not to mine you won't.
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

Re: The flat earth movement and the rejection of established knowledge.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 04:15:24 AM »
desperatley

Let's hope these 'new believers' teach their poor flat-headed children to spell 'desperately' correctly, eh?

As well as the word 'movement'.

I look forward to replies.

Not to mine you won't.
Thank you for your criticism, as I stated in my post I am always looking for ways to improve my arguments. I was looking more towards the technical and rhetorical aspects of my argument but perhaps an extra spell check might do me some good as well. Thank you for pointing those out to me, I have amended the mistakes you mentioned accordingly. I was looking forward to replies, in fact your reply in particular. As I said I am familiar with many posters and your rhetorical style and structure genuinely intrigues me, I am quite interested to see more of your work.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 05:36:14 AM »
I am always looking for ways to improve my arguments.

Well you could start by realising there are no flat earthers.

That may help.

As I said I am familiar with many posters and your rhetorical style and structure genuinely intrigues me, I am quite interested to see more of your work.

Whatever...

And I'm not 'working'; I'm playing.

Big difference.

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 07:35:52 AM »
Whatever...

And I'm not 'working'; I'm playing.

Big difference.

Finally a truthful statement  from Papa that is backed up by verifiable facts. I.E ALL of his posts
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:36:00 AM by Round and Proud »
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 08:32:46 AM »
Of course I'm playing, retard; with your heads.

You sad sacks, however, are here to work...

Which is why I too am here, playing with your heads whilst you attempt to fill ours with propaganda bullshit...

Because you are professional liars & you deserve all you get for being so.

Karma is a bitch, shill.

Now, tell me again about your sci-fi writing career, & how it connects to your claims to have grown up on a missile base, seen the X-15 take off & land, the Apollo engines being tested, talked to Armstrong & Aldrin, etc, etc, etc...

Tell me these things again, so I may laugh at your bullshit & play with your head for your sheer effrontery in thinking I will fall for any of it.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 10:00:46 AM »
Of course I'm playing, retard; with your heads.

You sad sacks, however, are here to work...

Which is why I too am here, playing with your heads whilst you attempt to fill ours with propaganda bullshit...

Because you are professional liars & you deserve all you get

You tell 'em Pops!

Free-thinkists like you and I can see right through their charade of lies and web of deceit.

Now, where was that satellite remote control again...
I made up some completely random sh!te on the Flat Earth Society forum and now I feel completely and utterly EPIC!!!

Round and Proud

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 10:29:21 AM »

Karma is a bitch, shill.

Now, tell me again about your sci-fi writing career, & how it connects to your claims to have grown up on a missile base, seen the X-15 take off & land, the Apollo engines being tested, talked to Armstrong & Aldrin, etc, etc, etc...

Where did I ever post I grew up on a missile base? And while your at prove  I haven't met Armstrong and Aldrin, or I didn't live in Simi Valley when the first stage of the Saturn V was tested at the Santa Susana Hills Test Center. Prove I didn't see the X-15.

IF, and that is a universe size IF, you're  1/1,000,000,000 as good at finding out information as you think you are, you'd know better than to call me on ANY of it. My Blog is linked to my profile. It tells everyone who I am, even my FB page can be found. Unless of course I created my FB account years ago just to mess with you.

As for writing Speculative Fiction. I better know my science or readers will spot the errors in the science, which means bad reviews and lower sales. I got called on the science in one paragraph by a Beta Reader and spent the better part of a week doing some complicated math, then having it checked by others. Thank God I was right, or I would have had to rewrite pages and pages of story to make it work.

It was research for another book I'm writing, Beneath the New Moon that brought me here, and gave me an idea for a new story. No title yet, just calling it Seems Flat From Here.

Took me two weeks to figure out  how to make a round planet seem flat and I stretched the concept of Suspension of Disbelief a long away to do it. I'll know if it works when I present the first chapter to our Writer's Group on 14th.

Look you can play at being a goober from Appalachia all you want, though God alone knows why. But the only one looking, acting and being thought of as a dyed in the wool goober is you. Why not try and present yourself as an adult?  I don't care one way or there other, but being childish is, well not helping the debate, at least for FET supporters.

And maybe that's your point.

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »
Tl;dr, Isaac Asimov.

While you were dreaming up your latest fantasy-spiel, I've been cooking a good meal, drinking good beer, dancing to Toots & the Maytals with my missus & binge-watching 30 Rock.

Cos this is what normal people do on a weekend, rather than spamming out self-justifying bullshit about their imaginary past that nobody cares about anyway on an obscure internet forum that they're not even welcome on...

Summary: stop making shit up & get a life.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »
Cos this is what normal people do on a weekend
Let's hope these 'new believers' teach their poor flat-headed children to spell 'because' correctly, eh?

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
LOL!!!

Another Loser with nowt better to do on a weekend than shill for $$$ on a flat earth forum.

He doesn't understand colloquial English either; poor little retarded shill thing!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »
lol

You pretend to be 65 years old.

lol

Or should I say "You pretend To be 65 Years old."
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 02:22:17 PM »
This thread has truly been masterfully and irrevocably derailed by Papa Legba. Honestly I'm rather impressed, when I said I wanted to see more of your work, I mean 'play'; I didn't expect you to completely derail this thread with irrelevant accusations of people being 'shills' and claiming that their lives are in fact government lies. What on Earth do you do here anyway, apart from trolling and accusing people of being shills?

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
Needless to say the Earth is not flat. This has been proven beyond all doubt by over a thousand years of intellectual enlightenment, yet flat earthers reject the progess of society with inadequate justification,desperately grasping at mere plausibility and calling it "proof". My question is why? Why just haphazardly throw out years and years of scientific exploration that produced a valid model of our world. I can agree with the questioning of established knowledge, if said questioning displays valid objections, the notion of a flat earth is not a valid objection.

I am well aware that many who claim to hold this irrational belief may be doing so for their own entertainment, however it would appear that in the recent weeks I have browsed these forums, more and more have joined who seem genuine. More worrying is that many of these new believers claim to have children and entertain the possibility of educating them in these falsehoods. I sincerely hope that this doesn't lead to flat earth perpetuating itself. I will likely post more musings later. For now focus on my earlier question.

Please do highlight fallacies and discrepancies, I would like to improve my arguments. I may be newly registered but I have observed the forums for quite some time and am familiar with many of the frequent users and their posts. Thank you. I look forward to replies.

Your first sentence contained a fallacy, you complete and utter fool. Proof by assertion to be specific. "Needless to say the earth is not flat."

And then you give no evidence whatsoever to validate your assertion.

"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

Round and Proud

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
This thread has truly been masterfully and irrevocably derailed by Papa Legba. Honestly I'm rather impressed, when I said I wanted to see more of your work, I mean 'play'; I didn't expect you to completely derail this thread with irrelevant accusations of people being 'shills' and claiming that their lives are in fact government lies. What on Earth do you do here anyway, apart from trolling and accusing people of being shills?

Well you could start by realising there are no flat earthers

Well he did admit he was not a FE. So it seems I was right, it IS his point to make them look bad.

Round and Proud

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 03:04:29 PM »

Your first sentence contained a fallacy, you complete and utter fool. Proof by assertion to be specific. "Needless to say the earth is not flat."

Look in the mirror much?

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »

Look in the mirror much?

What do mirrors have to do with this thread, round and stupid?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 03:15:52 PM by legion »
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

Round and Proud

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »

Look in the mirror much?

What do mirrors have to do with this post, round and stupid?

Oh you're serious about not getting it. You must endeavor to get out of you mom's basement more than once a decade.

It means your are accusing Jazz Singer of doing exactly what you do. Another way to say it is, "Pot, meet kettle." Okay I know I lost you with both sayings.

So here is one that is point blank (Though I have my doubts, you'll get it). You make blanket declarations about FET with not one iota of proof and you call ALL proofs of RE lies and misinformation without any proof and still have the nads to go after someone for making a blanket statement ONLY because you don't agree with it.

Understand now? Yeah, I didn't think so, but I had to try.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »

Look in the mirror much?

What do mirrors have to do with this post, round and stupid?

Oh you're serious about not getting it. You must endeavor to get out of you mom's basement more than once a decade.

It means your are accusing Jazz Singer of doing exactly what you do. Another way to say it is, "Pot, meet kettle." Okay I know I lost you with both sayings.

So here is one that is point blank (Though I have my doubts, you'll get it). You make blanket declarations about FET with not one iota of proof and you call ALL proofs of RE lies and misinformation without any proof and still have the nads to go after someone for making a blanket statement ONLY because you don't agree with it.

Understand now? Yeah, I didn't think so, but I had to try.

round and stupid, the OP requested members point out his fallacies. I did that. You are simply attempting to attack me for your own reasons. Needless to say, your waffle adds no value to this thread, either to the OP, or other readers.

Nothing new there though, eh?

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 05:25:45 PM »

^Shit nobody cares about.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 05:34:13 PM »

Papa Legba, tone it down, please.  Defeat them with logic, not with fowl language. 

MrDebunk

• Chaotic good
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »

Papa Legba, tone it down, please.  Defeat them with logic, not with fowl language.

Papa Legba is a trap. He just shoots insults from his Aetheric ICBMs, and because they are too absurd you are in a loop of calling him out and insulting him, while he interprets them as "NO U!".

Papa Lebga is a dangerous machine, and he shall be quarantined, not because he believes the earth is flat, but because he has the ability to make people go mad by pinning and needling them with insults.
M R D E B U N K (the reboot)

Quote from: totallackofintelligence
You sound like shill.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »
I just told him to tone it down.  Please do not start insulting him in the very next post.  Let's have constructive, civil conversations here. 

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »
Defeat them with logic, not with fowl language.

Already done that, but whenever it gets too obvious some fraud-mod locks the thread, don't they?

Plus, whatever that shit was the latest disinfo-noob wrote, nobody cared about it; just pointing out the facts.

Or do you think people come to TFES to read pompous garbage like that?

And oh, look; as I was writing this MrDebunk pooped out a useless anti-Legba shitpost too...

See, Jroa; THAT kinda 'coincidence' is what you should be keeping your eye out for...

LOL!!!

Fat chance.

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 07:10:00 AM »

Haven't you noticed that every single one of his posts is like that?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 08:00:20 AM »

Logic tells me Papa must be a duck.   As we all know ducks are terrible at logic.    Foul smelly fowls that they be to foul a fine thread.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

getrealzommb

• We do actually live on a ball: But who cares?
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
^Rayzor talking to himself via sock-poopet as usual.

^Nobody reads it anyway so meh...

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »
Papa does nothing except try to "play with people's heads", while we laugh at his utter ignorance and stupidity.
I might have missed a few of his posts, but I don't think he has ever presented any information or argument, all he does is try to pull things down.
I don't know who his therapist is, but I'm sure she should be informed of his obvious issues!
Probably section him if she knew.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:33:07 PM by rabinoz »