Secretary of The Flat Earth Society

• 15 Replies

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
Secretary of The Flat Earth Society
« on: March 24, 2016, 08:07:31 AM »
I've taken on the role of Secretary of the Flat Earth Society. Membership will be reopening within the next month as well as T-Shirt sales. In Truth Victory!
Quantum Ab Hoc

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Secretary of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 08:22:36 AM »
Count me in on the tee shirts.  I could use a few.  Congrats on the appointment.  I know you won't let us down. 

BTW, will the coins start up again? 

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
Count me in on the tee shirts.  I could use a few.  Congrats on the appointment.  I know you won't let us down. 

BTW, will the coins start up again?
Unfortunately I misplaced mine so I have nothing to make a mold from. It's something I've been discussing with my wife who is helping me with some of the details, but nothing is in stone yet. I may hit up Daniel next time I try to contact him.

Thanks!
Quantum Ab Hoc

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:45:12 AM »
I can lend you my coin if you need it.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 06:38:58 AM »
I can lend you my coin if you need it.
Might take you up on that, thanks!
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 04:56:48 AM »
If I wish to initiate a vote of no confidence, how do I go about that?
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 06:02:52 AM »
If I wish to initiate a vote of no confidence, how do I go about that?
I don't think self-appointed positions are something that can be voted upon.

That said, could you anonymise my entry in the register? I had requested this years ago, and Daniel complied, but then I re-appeared on there after one of the many server transfers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:10:05 AM by PizzaPlanet »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 08:27:42 AM »
I was appointed by Daniel.
Quantum Ab Hoc

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 08:52:07 AM »
Its hard for to me to imagine it being removed by copying over a database. I'm happy to make this change once the new site goes live however.
Quantum Ab Hoc

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 08:51:44 AM »
It's a bit suspicious that he's ignoring everyone else, and that you have to announce his actions yourself. Does he only talk to you these days?

Its hard for to me to imagine it being removed by copying over a database. I'm happy to make this change once the new site goes live however.
I couldn't tell you how it happened, only that it coincided in time. Anyway, much appreciated. Any idea on the ETA?

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
It's a bit suspicious that he's ignoring everyone else, and that you have to announce his actions yourself. Does he only talk to you these days?
I talk to him fairly regularly (once or twice a week, more when he went on vacation.) He sent me a message this morning in fact. I believe he's contacted Wilmore as well, but Michael has been busy as of late. The appointment was approved by him based on some of the work I've been doing for the society. I understand this seems a bit suspicious to you, so hopefully, these mentions of my work will do to show I'm at the very least not fabricating Daniel's existence.

Daniel has turned his interest in the society to managing the doings of the society itself and helping with content, digitizing the remaining of his archives, and social media presence, rather than the forum a very minor part of the FES. As the only source for some of the content he has collected throughout his travels and from the Shenton Archives (and content you have been benefiting from) this seems like a wiser use of his time as President.

To the point, he is taking an indefinite break from the forums. I have been authorized by him to continue these negotiations if I want. I wouldn't be surprised if he popped his head in once or twice, but I also would doubt from our conversations he would be very interested in participating in the negotiations. While we are not as enthusiastic as we once were, we are willing to discuss terms and put them forth for discussion among our staff, moderators, users, and finally Daniel who will make the ultimate decision. No real promises, but at least a possible path forward. On that topic, it was brought to my attention that your team felt that there was nothing to gain from reunification except SEO. If this is the case, please let me know as we would then have a great many more things to discuss. If not, that would be great as well. As I trusted this was the case, I have not allocated much time as of yet to discussing the issue but will be happy to try to squeeze it in.

On an unrelated note, my google representative got back to us today. As it turns out, removing those links was a good idea for a number of reasons and the potential harm to us is negligible. You'll forgive me if I trust her over you in this matter, as she seems to be the authority as she works for Google. It may please you to know this was also not as one sided and targeted at you as it seems. Jack has cleared out thousands of unused spam accounts as well for both performance reasons and due to their links to bad neighborhoods.

I couldn't tell you how it happened, only that it coincided in time. Anyway, much appreciated. Any idea on the ETA?
Weird. I better check the old archives. You may have tipped me off about some lost data then. If so, thanks.

As far as ETA - Not really. I have to move content over more or less manually from one cms to another as well a slew of other activities that have fallen on my plate as Secretary including correspondences with the public and an upcoming meeting of Flat Earthers in town. I'm hoping within the week. Out of pure curiosity, why the change of heart regarding being listed?  I had a stalker find me in town recently, so I can relate if its something like that. I seem to remember your name has been listed on our site elsewhere by yourself. Would you like me to try to rectify this as well?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:04:53 AM by John Davis »
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
You expect us to believe your faked Twitter account is actually a post from Daniel? There's no evidence whatsoever that you were appointed to this role. I put it to you that you have just made this claim in order to seize the reins of power. A disturbing turn of events indeed.
When we hear from Daniel himself then I might believe you. Hey, can I claim that I was just contacted by Daniel and made into Imperial Overlord of the FES? Can I, huh?
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 03:03:00 AM »
You expect us to believe your faked Twitter account is actually a post from Daniel? There's no evidence whatsoever that you were appointed to this role. I put it to you that you have just made this claim in order to seize the reins of power. A disturbing turn of events indeed.
When we hear from Daniel himself then I might believe you. Hey, can I claim that I was just contacted by Daniel and made into Imperial Overlord of the FES? Can I, huh?
Stop trolling Neil.

Here you go Pizza Planet found this one.
Quantum Ab Hoc

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 07:23:35 AM »
(For clarity: I am speaking entirely and exclusively for myself here. Whenever I say that I think our site thinks something, that's all it is - my intuition on what the current climate is)

It's not even that I disbelieve you regarding Daniel's approval of your appointment. I'm just genuinely surprised that he doesn't seem to respond to anyone's communication but your own. The last time he contacted us he wanted to resign from his position, and then he just went silent. It's strange that he wouldn't have enough time to send a single e-mail explaining the state of affairs, despite previously being engaged in lengthy conversations with us.

On that topic, it was brought to my attention that your team felt that there was nothing to gain from reunification except SEO.
I don't think that's strictly true. My understanding is that people would be okay with reunification, but on different terms from what was previously agreed. The original agreement was based around the idea of keeping the best parts of both sites from a technical standpoint. As our services have developed considerably, I don't think our userbase would be keen on giving up things like our homepage, branding, or merchandise platform. I don't think the technical superiority of our sites can be disputed, and that will have to be reflected in the final agreement.

On an unrelated note, my google representative got back to us today.
I'm sorry, but that's dubious. A nameless "Google representative" who directly contradicts Google's public-facing documentation is not something I'm going to easily believe.

I explained why sabotaging links on your own website is a bad idea, and you seemed to have agreed before you suddenly got angry. Regulars from your own website also seemed to have largely supported my arguments. Even if I'm wrong (I'm not), I suggested a solution that addresses the concerns of us both (well, at least those you've stated to me) without affecting functionality. A solution that you personally liked, and a trivial one to implement.

That said, I'm glad you finally started clearing the spam accounts. You may want to have a look at my modifications to the SMF codebase geared towards preventing them from registering in the first place. So far they've proven to be very effective.

Out of pure curiosity, why the change of heart regarding being listed?  I had a stalker find me in town recently, so I can relate if its something like that. I seem to remember your name has been listed on our site elsewhere by yourself. Would you like me to try to rectify this as well?
The change of heart regarding being listed came around quite a while ago - before the schism, and I believe before my 1-year ban. And yeah, it does have to do with people occasionally trying to stalk me. I obviously don't mind the regulars knowing who I am, but I don't necessarily want to be too public.

There are a few mentions of my name on the forum, but they seem contained to CN. If it's not too much hassle, I would appreciate if you could purge those, but I'm not too bothered about those since they're not as easy to find as the member register.

EDIT: Oh, and just for the record: Even if we disagree on a lot of matters, and even if things get heated sometimes, I'd like you to know that I don't question your work for the FES. You contribute a lot of your time and effort into it, and that's great. I do wish you saw things my way more often, or at least explained why you do things your way instead, but that doesn't stand in the way of me recognising your work.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:43:10 AM by PizzaPlanet »

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 07:50:34 AM »
(For clarity: I am speaking entirely and exclusively for myself here. Whenever I say that I think our site thinks something, that's all it is - my intuition on what the current climate is)

It's not even that I disbelieve you regarding Daniel's approval of your appointment. I'm just genuinely surprised that he doesn't seem to respond to anyone's communication but your own. The last time he contacted us he wanted to resign from his position, and then he just went silent. It's strange that he wouldn't have enough time to send a single e-mail explaining the state of affairs, despite previously being engaged in lengthy conversations with us.

On that topic, it was brought to my attention that your team felt that there was nothing to gain from reunification except SEO.
I don't think that's strictly true. My understanding is that people would be okay with reunification, but on different terms from what was previously agreed. The original agreement was based around the idea of keeping the best parts of both sites from a technical standpoint. As our services have developed considerably, I don't think our userbase would be keen on giving up things like our homepage, branding, or merchandise platform. I don't think the technical superiority of our sites can be disputed, and that will have to be reflected in the final agreement.

I'm sorry, but that's dubious. A nameless "Google representative" who directly contradicts Google's public-facing documentation is not something I'm going to easily believe.

I explained why sabotaging links on your own website is a bad idea, and you seemed to have agreed before you suddenly got angry. Regulars from your own website also seemed to have largely supported my arguments. Even if I'm wrong (I'm not), I suggested a solution that addresses the concerns of us both (well, at least those you've stated to me) without affecting functionality. A solution that you personally liked, and a trivial one to implement.

That said, I'm glad you finally started clearing the spam accounts. You may want to have a look at my modifications to the SMF codebase geared towards preventing them from registering in the first place. So far they've proven to be very effective.

Out of pure curiosity, why the change of heart regarding being listed?  I had a stalker find me in town recently, so I can relate if its something like that. I seem to remember your name has been listed on our site elsewhere by yourself. Would you like me to try to rectify this as well?
The change of heart regarding being listed came around quite a while ago - before the schism, and I believe before my 1-year ban. And yeah, it does have to do with people occasionally trying to stalk me. I obviously don't mind the regulars knowing who I am, but I don't necessarily want to be too public.

There are a few mentions of my name on the forum, but they seem contained to CN. If it's not too much hassle, I would appreciate if you could purge those, but I'm not too bothered about those since they're not as easy to find as the member register.
Oh brother. First its suspicious that I'm secretary. Now its suspicious that I have a google rep whom, by the way, did not directly contradict Google's public-facing documentation.  ::) In fact, she sourced it and sent it to me. But whatever. You aren't required to believe it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:53:13 AM by John Davis »
Quantum Ab Hoc

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 07:58:25 AM »

EDIT: Oh, and just for the record: Even if we disagree on a lot of matters, and even if things get heated sometimes, I'd like you to know that I don't question your work for the FES. You contribute a lot of your time and effort into it, and that's great. I do wish you saw things my way more often, or at least explained why you do things your way instead, but that doesn't stand in the way of me recognising your work.
Thanks for the edited remarks.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:04:06 AM by John Davis »
Quantum Ab Hoc