Polling Results- Why Respondents visit and write on the forum

• 13 Replies

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
The poll I self commissioned yester-week has now closed and the results are shown below.

There were a number of comments written in the "replies" to the poll  or what I term "write in" poll responses. I have included such in the poll results which I find of no small import to this poll and study.

The validity of the poll can certainly be questioned since the poll had 24 participants and I cannot know for certainty how many visitors this fair forum has on a weekly basis. In addition I cannot know for certain whether those responding to the poll are being truthful in the reasons given for writing and visiting the forum. In addition it must be noted that this poll was open for one week in March 2016 and thus may not be representative the responses that might be given during a longer period of time, or a differing time of the year. Finally the poll allowed only one response, whilst it is possible, given the vagaries of human nature, that there is more than one reason why a person may visit the forum. None the less I will provide analysis and commentary below even given the limitations noted above.

Below is the data from the poll. Afterwards I will provide a feeble attempt at analysis of those who post and why.

Here are the results
It is great fun and I get great joy in" trolling" the helio-centric theorists There were no respondents who provided this answer.

It is great fun and I get great joy in "trolling" the flat earth theorists Three (3) responders out of 24 provided this answer (or ~ 12%)

I am searching for knowledge and I hope to learn something new regarding the universe. Six (6) responders out of 24 provided this answer (or 25%)

I am earnestly trying to convince the deluded and misguided helio-centric theorists One (1) responder out of 24 provided this answer (or~1%)

I am earnestly trying to convince the deluded and misguided flat earth theorists Eight ( 8 ) responders out of 24 provided this answer (33%)

I don't really care about convincing anyone I use the forum to practice my debating skills Six (6) (or 25%) of responders wrote this, or a similar response. in their comments and indicated that they had not voted in the poll since this choice was not available.

I want to be, on the  occasion of visiting this forum, male genitalia. One (1) responder wrote this in their comments and indicated they they had not voted in the poll since this choice was not available.

Analysis
Despite the limitations of the poll, as discussed above, I shall now proceed to use the above data to derive conclusions.

Flat Earth Theorists are not interested in antagonizing non flat  theory believers (0% responded in this way). We can safely say that his forum is not being used as an intellectual "trap" to fool otherwise unsuspecting people into a debate for the entertainment value of such a debate.

A small number of Helio-Centrists (12%) view the forum as a place to antagonize flat earth theorists and use the poll only for this purpose. Such a purpose is known as "Trolling" in the vernacular meaning that one's posting and replies are intended simply to evoke a negative reaction and emotion in the person that one engages with in a debate or exchange.

A very small number of Flat Earth Theorists harbour the belief that by posting on this forum they can convince those visiting the forum of the validity of the Flat Earth theory (1 responder or 4% responded in this manner). Thus we can safely say that the forum is not viewed as a recruiting method to turn visitors into Flat Earth Theorists. We may deduce that most Flat Earth Theorist think that being convinced of the Flat Earth Theory occurs in some other setting.

A sizable minority of responders responded that this forum is a place whereby they hope to learn something new about the universe (6 responders or 24%). The poll was not designed to determine the percentage of these responders who are Flat Earth Theorists, Helio-Centrists, or agnostic about such. But it is apparent, given this poll result that the forum is viewed as a place to exchange ideas and to learn from one's fellow beings.

A larger minority (8 responders out of 24 or 33%) are Helio-Centric Theorists who believe the forum can be used to argue the Flat Earth Theorists out of their positions and convince them of the Helio-Centric Model.

A sizable minority (6 responders or 24%) give not a whit whether they learn anything new or not, could care less about what the opposition believes, excepting the fact that it provides a fair place to improve the debating skills of the responder.

Finally, one poor soul, probably in need of a visit to a mental institution, responded that he/she thought the forum was a place whereby they could become, for a brief moment, male genitalia. Thus the forum does attract those people who may be prone to Freudian sexual fantasies that perhaps originate, as Freud hypothesized, during the trauma of birth.

In summary most forum visitors do not believe that they can change anyone's mind on the subject (especially those who hold to the theory of the Flat Earth). From the responder's view point the forum is a most useful to try to exchange ideas, to learn about the universe or improving one's debating skills or perhaps, to convince a Flat Earth Theorist about the errors of ones ways.

Respectfully submitted to the Forum the 22 Day of March in the Year of Our Lord 2016

Sir Richard

Note edited to correct the sentence "A larger minority (8 responders out of 24 or 33%) are Helio-Centric Theorists..." which was written incorrectly.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:02:08 PM by Sir Richard »
"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"  J Stalin

"It is not the people that vote that count it is the people that count the votes" J Stalin

Re: Polling Results- Why Respondents visit and write on the forum
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 05:14:54 AM »
Respectfully submitted to the Forum the 22 Day of March in the Year of Our Lord 2016

Sir Richard

You should really end every post with this, the computer generated date and time stamp for each post just isn't good enough.

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 05:23:07 AM »

Sir Richard

You should really end every post with this, the computer generated date and time stamp for each post just isn't good enough.
I concur wholeheartedly with your views. The American way of dating these things is most confusing with days, months and dates mixed up. It is a pity that George III was insane else the American Colonies would not have evolved into this melange of murder, violence and ignorance when compared to their peaceful and intelligent country to the North of the U.S.

I hesitate to inquire, and please feel no need to respond should this be considered an intrusive request, but how did you respond to said poll (or how would you have responded had you voted)?
"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"  J Stalin

"It is not the people that vote that count it is the people that count the votes" J Stalin

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »
I believe that there is a mistake here...

A larger minority (8 responders out of 24 or 33%) are Flat Round Earth Theorists who believe the forum can be used to argue the Flat Earth Theorists out of their positions and convince them of the Helio-Centric Model.

I also believe that there are most definitely people who come here to troll Round Earthers *cough* Jroa *cough* although they may not have voted, or have voted dishonestly!

Uninvited Guest

• A clone cloned by a smartphone
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
I think every user has a seed of doubt in his mind.
To me it explains why some are agressive, while others are plain sarcastic. These are forms of getting away from something that is difficult or unpleasant to learn. But they are still reading this forum, just for the sake of "trolling". Right?

The opinion one constructs about the world and about oneself is not easily dismantled.
I've read a philosopher who said that a 8-year-old child already acquired 70% of all the knowledge she will have throughout his lifetime. From that age on, only 30% are acquired in the several years of life to come.
The science in her trance will make the sign of cross
And we will light bonfires to appreciate the electric bulb.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »

A larger minority (8 responders out of 24 or 33%) are Flat Round Earth Theorists who believe the forum can be used to argue the Flat Earth Theorists out of their positions and convince them of the Helio-Centric Model.

I also believe that there are most definitely people who come here to troll Round Earthers *cough* Jroa *cough* although they may not have voted, or have voted dishonestly!

Right? My own personal judgment says that at least 80% of the FE camp don't actually believe in the ideology. focusing instead on derailment tactics in some blanket expression.

There's 2 (or 3) that I think are actually genuinely indoctrinated into the FE idea (and not on some high level trollism). John the Admin, "that Dual Earth guy"... and Sir Richard, though I'm on the fence about the last.

the rest, in my experience are literally either RE, impartial and directing debate (the clever maths lady), or trolling - Jroa.

All else sort of fade in to insignificance  :-\

On that note. Sir Richard. I am still waiting for your reply to my lengthy response in the satellite thread. In case you missed it, thanks :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:46:42 AM by TigerWidow »

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »

This is indeed a weakness in the method I employed since it is impossible to determine whether the fashion in which a person entered the response most accurately represents their motive for writing on this fair forum. Then, of course, there is the issue of humans not understanding their "true" motive for reading and writing on this forum.

As Dostoyevsky famously wrote  “Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others.”
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:22:27 PM by Sir Richard »

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »

Yes this is a typographical error on my part (pity me for having no editor) which I shall now correct post haste. I thank you most kindly for identifying that error.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 12:04:03 PM »

Sir Richard

I concur wholeheartedly with your views. The American way of dating these things is most confusing with days, months and dates mixed up. It is a pity that George III was insane else the American Colonies would not have evolved into this melange of murder, violence and ignorance when compared to their peaceful and intelligent country to the North of the U.S.

You can change the date format.

Account Settings
Look and Layout
Time Format

Based on the comment, you probably want to select DD Month YYYY, HH:MM:SS (that means, e.g. 21 March 2016, 23:52:27).

I prefer YYYY-MM-DD, HH:MM:SS. That goes uniformly from most significant (unit thousands of years) to least significant (unit seconds), 2016-03-21, 23:52:27.

You can customize it beyond the stock choices offered if you're clever.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 12:08:12 PM »

On that note. Sir Richard. I am still waiting for your reply to my lengthy response in the satellite thread. In case you missed it, thanks :)
Oh dear me, so little time, so much debate to engage in. I can assure you though, good sir, my belief in the flat earth are closely held based on years of research and my own observations.

I shall, after a nice evening repast of a curried lamb dish, that is due out of the oven shortly, look at the satellite thread for the debate to which a response you are awaiting.  I sincerely meant you no disrespect to you by ignoring this request and the related debate. This  was simply an oversight on my part. I find myself having a hard time holding onto all the threads of thought and debate on this forum.

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 12:10:55 PM »

Sir Richard

Account Settings
Look and Layout
Time Format

Based on the comment, you probably want to select DD Month YYYY, HH:MM:SS (that means, e.g. 21 March 2016, 23:52:27).

I prefer YYYY-MM-DD, HH:MM:SS. That goes uniformly from most significant (unit thousands of years) to least significant (unit seconds), 2016-03-21, 23:52:27.

I thank you very kindly for this suggestion and look forward to this test of my cleverness, although I do admit of a vague unease about failing such.

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »

Sir Richard

Account Settings
Look and Layout
Time Format

This is a test response after attempting to modify said profile.

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »
Thank you, by the way, for this poll. Very illuminating!
Quantum Ab Hoc

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 01:04:18 PM »
Thank you, by the way, for this poll. Very illuminating!
You are very welcome Mr. Davis. What little work the poll required was overshadowed by the pleasure of seeing the results and developing an analysis of such.

Also your very kind word made me aware of my own indifference to the those who responded to the poll.
So I therefore now take this opportunity to thank each and every person who took the time to complete the poll or to add their comments to the thread.