My Journey

• 72 Replies

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
My Journey
« on: March 15, 2016, 05:30:37 AM »
My journey to the Flat Earth

Our human frailty displays most itself vituperatively when we are confronted with ideas that contradict those closely beliefs that we have invested our lives in. This frailty is on display daily at the Flat Earth Society Forum as helio-centrists storm and rant at those who dare challenge mainstream academia. One question that seem to be asked over and over is “how can you believe such (expletive deleted)?” Although I am certain that this question is merely rhetorical for most I am going to attempt to answer it for the minority who are sincerely interested in how one makes the journey form helio-centrist ( a “helio”) to a flat earther (a “FE”). Perhaps this will assist those who earnestly desire to break off the shackles of ignorance and see the world as it truly is!

Based on what is admittedly a small sample size of comments I have inferred that most “helios” (as I will refer to those who think the earth orbits the sun) believe that Flat Earthers (Fes) are uneducated and ignorant. This indeed may be true- since I have no way of really knowing the bonafides of those FEs on the board, or elsewhere, (other than those who have published their views and their true identities). I want to make it clear that educated, and uneducated, people can be wrong headed or geniuses in equal proportion. Bill Gates is an uneducated (formally) genius who dropped out of Harvard. So education is no guarantor of either genius or stupidity; to be clear.

My maternal grandfather, born in Wales, was a mining engineer, having passed his technical licensure (including a surveyor’s license) just after the Great War. Whilst working in a mine he developed, and patented, an improved method for sorting coal at the tipple and subsequently founded a company that manufactured such improved equipment. Because of this my mother grew up in much improved circumstances. But although the family's new found wealth improved their conditions they remained stolidly middle class.

My mother, an early beneficiary of the 1944 Educational Act, was one of the first females to attend her public school (public school is the opposite of what is meant in North America) under a quota system established at this school, and others. My father’s father was a Civil Engineer who worked for a large construction company, which, amongst other things, built some of the last great shipyards in Glasgow. My parent’s marriage, and her family’s relative wealth, established the financial wherewithal to send my siblings (and me) to public school. Thus I was fortunate enough to attend a public school- and although interested in literature and the law, being a child of my father was sent from public school, after graduation, to matriculate for  engineering degree at the University of Strathclyde.

There I took the normal curriculum for technical studies including organic and inorganic chemistry, calculus, physics (including electricity and magnetism courses), mechanics, basic electrical engineering course, thermo-dynamics, structures, soils, surveying (including learning how to “shoot Polaris” at night for bearings), and other courses. I also loaded up on history and literature for my electives as much as I could- for this was my real love. Once out  of university (having graduated) I worked for a while with a large energy company but my heart was not in engineering. Thus I returned to school and completed the course requirements in humanities to allowed me to take the BPTC and and from there I completed my pupilage to become a Barrister. I am old enough so that Latin and logic were still required at the public school I attended and this helped me immensely during my preparation for admission to the Bar Council. In fact I would say that my private reading and public school education made all this very easy when compared to the difficult course work required to earn my engineering degree.

During my course of studies at University I took no greater joy than spending hours of my free time amongst the stacks at the Library. Second only to girls this was my passion.  I would roam the dusty stacks in my spare time (between studies) reading and browsing books- especially those from the 17th and 18th century (and those written in Latin). My University, although not amongst the oldest in Great Britain, is still ancient by most measures. I found my self fascinated by obscure works written by the Scholastics and I soon realized that their world view was completely antithetical to those of the modern world (this modern world being 1964 ).  One incident that occurred the summer of 1964 is burned in my memory. I was in my maternal Grandfather’s study sitting in a leather arm chair discussing the ideas of the philosopher and lexicographer, Samuel Johnson, one afternoon. I can still remember the sun light streaming through the old fashioned wooden blinds of the windows and lighting up the dust particles in a warm glow. My Grandfather (Great Papa to me) gave me a quizzical look and said, right out of the blue, “You do KNOW that the earth is NOT a globe, Richard?”

I actually had no response to that unprovoked question other than thinking “well the old gentleman is in his dotage and his brain has finally untracked itself”. But he rummaged amongst the stacks of books littering his desk, and the floor beside it, and handed me a well worn green leather bound book with the title “The Earth is Not a Globe”. “Here”, he said, pushing it towards me, “read this and think upon what it says and it will place your engineering studies in an entire new light.”

I wish I could say that I read it immediately- but being young and foolish I did not. It lingered on my bookshelf for a number of years- until one day after I had been accepted to the bar, about a year after my grandfather’s death. I had been thinking about the old man and saw the book sitting in a nook in my study and I begin reading it. It aligned perfectly with ideas that had been swimming in my head, just out of sight, doubts and other interpretation of the phenomena and engineering principles I had studied in school.

Although my professional life was becoming ever busier, I begin studying the matter at night and on the weekends- bringing out my old texts from university days to compare the two. I found myself taking long weekend trips to London to read books, long since forgotten by the present day, written by the scholastics as well as summaries of the great Greek Natural Philosophers. The more I read the more I became convinced that the helio-centric theory became predominate not because of science but because of politics and religious prejudice. It was a tool to further the power and careers of those that backed it. No more and no less. That does not make those who backed Copernicus evil only human. It became evident that the more I studied the pre- Copernicus theories the more I became convinced that those theories were correct.

I started a helio-centrist- but I became, through study and keeping an open mind, and guarding against my own prejudice, have ended as flat earth theorist.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:22:29 PM by Sir Richard »
"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"  J Stalin

"It is not the people that vote that count it is the people that count the votes" J Stalin

?

palmerito0

• Why does this forum exist?
Re: My Journey
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »

Our human frailty displays most itself vituperatively when we are confronted with ideas that contradict those closely beliefs that we have invested our lives in. This frailty is on display daily at the Flat Earth Society Forum as helio-centrists storm and rant at those who dare challenge mainstream academia. One question that seem to be asked over and over is “how can you believe such (expletive deleted)?”

Oh, hello Mr. Big Words! You don't need long words to seem smart, you need good ideas. Just getting that out of the way.

We don't storm and rant about how you challenge academia. The scientific community can be wrong in the theories it holds up, and there are normally rather large storms when said theories are debunked.

However, we are in a different situation. You are not challenging academia, rather you are challenging massive mounds of evidence which stands against your position (which you manage to dodge in some way or another.

Although I am certain that this question is merely rhetorical for most I am going to attempt to answer it for the minority who are sincerely interested in how one makes the journey form helio-centrist ( a “helio”) to a flat earther (a “FE”). Perhaps this will assist those who earnestly desire to break off the shackles of ignorance and see the world as it truly is!

No. It sounds like you're giving instructions of how to shackle yourself into a small worldview and ignorance.

Based on what is admittedly a small sample size of comments I have inferred that most “helios” (as I will refer to those who think the earth orbits the sun) believe that Flat Earthers (Fes) are uneducated and ignorant. This indeed may be true- since I have no way of really knowing the bonafides of those FEs on the board, or elsewhere, (other than those who have published their views and their true identities). I want to make it clear that educated, and uneducated, people can be wrong headed or geniuses in equal proportion. Bill Gates is an uneducated (formally) genius who dropped out of Harvard. So education is no guarantor of either genius or stupidity; to be clear.

The reason we believe you are ignorant is that you ignore centuries of work and large amounts of evidence which point towards a round earth.

Although my professional life was becoming ever busier, I begin studying the matter at night and on the weekends- bringing out my old texts from university days to compare the two. I found myself taking long weekend trips to London to read books, long since forgotten by the present day, written by the scholastics as well as summaries of the great Greek Natural Philosophers. The more I read the more I became convinced that the helio-centric theory became predominate not because of science but because of politics and religious prejudice. It was a tool to further the power and careers of those that backed it. No more and no less. That does not make those who backed Copernicus evil only human. It became evident that the more I studied the pre- Copernicus theories the more I became convinced that those theories were correct.

The reason they have been forgotten is because they are incorrect.

I started a helio-centrist- but I became, through study and keeping an open mind, and guarding against my own prejudice, have ended as flat earth theorist.

It sounds like you kept your mind too open. Skepticism is very important.
Heiwa on the impossibility of space travel:

There are no toilets up there and sex is also a problem, just to mention a few difficulties.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 02:15:58 PM »

Our human frailty displays most itself vituperatively when we are confronted with ideas that contradict those closely beliefs that we have invested our lives in. This frailty is on display daily at the Flat Earth Society Forum as helio-centrists storm and rant at those who dare challenge mainstream academia. One question that seem to be asked over and over is “how can you believe such (expletive deleted)?”

Oh, hello Mr. Big Words! You don't need long words to seem smart, you need good ideas. Just getting that out of the way.

We don't storm and rant about how you challenge academia. The scientific community can be wrong in the theories it holds up, and there are normally rather large storms when said theories are debunked.

However, we are in a different situation. You are not challenging academia, rather you are challenging massive mounds of evidence which stands against your position (which you manage to dodge in some way or another.

Although I am certain that this question is merely rhetorical for most I am going to attempt to answer it for the minority who are sincerely interested in how one makes the journey form helio-centrist ( a “helio”) to a flat earther (a “FE”). Perhaps this will assist those who earnestly desire to break off the shackles of ignorance and see the world as it truly is!

No. It sounds like you're giving instructions of how to shackle yourself into a small worldview and ignorance.

The reason we believe you are ignorant is that you ignore centuries of work and large amounts of evidence which point towards a round earth.

Ah the ad hominem attack and ranting and a raving. My own view, sure shared by other flat earth's, is that your bombast and anger are actually very good signs indeed. At least for you and those who hold this theory close.

I suspect you are starting to develop cognitive dissonance as you slowly journey towards the truth of the Flat Earth. You are searching for truth ere why would you spend time on this site? I will be waiting to give you warm greetings when you finally agree that the Flat Earth is a simple and elegant theory for what we observe every day.

As for my language and corresponding choice or words I would simply say that I am a product of my education and time, as, unfortunately, are you and some of your compatriots. I find it hard to follow words like "dodge" when used in relation to ideas.
I also simply cannot imagine hurling a vituperative at an opponent in a debate. If that were to have happened whilst a student, at least at the schools I am aware of, I am fairly certain it would have ended in expulsion.

Perhaps this lashing out  exhibited by the rounders on this board is a natural product of the rapidly degenerating  American culture (already degenerated in the mid 20th century) as we sail into the 21st century- both nasty and brutish.  It appears that your choice for President is betwixt a Ninny and a Fascist so I should not be surprised to see the same behavior presented on this fair board. OF course I am assuming that you are an American based your language and I do admit it is but a guess.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:25:22 PM by Sir Richard »
"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"  J Stalin

"It is not the people that vote that count it is the people that count the votes" J Stalin

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »

Oh and I forgot this tidbit- one of the rounders who posts here regularly chided me for using Feet/second squared rather than meters per second squared which is one of the most pedantic thing I have read in about a decade. Well, actually not pedantic as I consider it since 32 f/s/s actually the equivalent of 9 m/s/s. I will retract pedantic and substitute the word "silly" in its stead.

?

palmerito0

• Why does this forum exist?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »
  Ah the ad hominem attack and ranting and a raving. My own view, sure shared by other flat earth's, is that your bombast and anger are actually very good signs indeed. At least for you and those who hold this theory close.

I suspect you are starting to develop cognitive dissonance as you slowly journey towards the truth of the Flat Earth. You are searching for truth ere why would you spend time on this site? I will be waiting to give you warm greetings when you finally agree that the Flat Earth is a simple and elegant theory for what we observe every day.

Very funny. The FE theory is not "simple and elegant" and fails to describe several observations without invoking the "aether," which has no scientific basis behind it.

As for my language and corresponding choice or words I would simply say that I am a product of my education and time, as, unfortunately, are you and some of your compatriots. I find it hard to follow words like "dodge" when used in relation to ideas.
I also simply cannot imagine hurling a vituperative at an opponent in a debate. If that were to have happened whilst a student, at least at the schools I am aware of, I am fairly certain it would have ended in expulsion.

Well, I am sorry that I cannot fully understand your language and you cannot understand mine. "Dodge" is simply a manner of speech I use to describe when someone attempts to change the subject or otherwise distract from the real matter of the debate. *cough* jroa *cough*

Also, while I try to be respectful, this is an internet forum and not a tightly moderated debate stage and is rather informal. A little insult here spices it up for some extra entertainment.  ;D

Perhaps this lashing out  exhibited by the rounders on this board is a natural product of the rapidly degenerating  American culture (already degenerated in the mid 20th century) as we sail into the 21st century- both nasty and brutish.  It appears that your choice for President is betwixt a Ninny and a Fascist so I should not be surprised to see the same behavior presented on this fair board. OF course I am assuming that you are an American based your language and I do admit it is but a guess.

So you are saying that only Americans can become heated whilst debating? Then you are quite wrong with that.

As to Donald Trump, I still do not understand how he is in the running for president of the United States. You cannot use him to generalize the American public, however, as his unfavorable ratings have gone up, breaching 60% and continuing to rise rather quickly.

Why yes, I do live in America. However, I have been brought up with strong Hispanic roots (and an open, scientific mind I might add) and have rejected several American ideals.
Heiwa on the impossibility of space travel:

There are no toilets up there and sex is also a problem, just to mention a few difficulties.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:20:26 PM »

Our human frailty displays most itself vituperatively when we are confronted with ideas that contradict those closely beliefs that we have invested our lives in. This frailty is on display daily at the Flat Earth Society Forum as helio-centrists storm and rant at those who dare challenge mainstream academia. One question that seem to be asked over and over is “how can you believe such (expletive deleted)?” Although I am certain that this question is merely rhetorical for most I am going to attempt to answer it for the minority who are sincerely interested in how one makes the journey form helio-centrist ( a “helio”) to a flat earther (a “FE”). Perhaps this will assist those who earnestly desire to break off the shackles of ignorance and see the world as it truly is!

My maternal grandfather, born in Wales, was a mining engineer, having passed his technical licensure (including a surveyor’s license) just after the Great War. Whilst working in a mine he developed, and patented, an improved method for sorting coal at the tipple and subsequently founded a company that manufactured such improved equipment. Because of this my mother grew up in much improved circumstances. But although the family's new found wealth improved their conditions they remained stolidly middle class.

My mother, an early beneficiary of the 1944 Educational Act, was one of the first females to attend her public school (public school is the opposite of what is meant in North America) under a quota system established at this school, and others. My father’s father was a Civil Engineer who worked for a large construction company, which, amongst other things, built some of the last great shipyards in Glasgow. My parent’s marriage, and her family’s relative wealth, established the financial wherewithal to send my siblings (and me) to public school. Thus I was fortunate enough to attend a public school- and although interested in literature and the law, being a child of my father was sent from public school, after graduation, to matriculate for  engineering degree at the University of Strathclyde.

There I took the normal curriculum for technical studies including organic and inorganic chemistry, calculus, physics (including electricity and magnetism courses), mechanics, basic electrical engineering course, thermo-dynamics, structures, soils, surveying (including learning how to “shoot Polaris” at night for bearings), and other courses. I also loaded up on history and literature for my electives as much as I could- for this was my real love. Once out  of university (having graduated) I worked for a while with a large energy company but my heart was not in engineering. Thus I returned to school and completed the course requirements in humanities to allowed me to take the BPTC and and from there I completed my pupilage to become a Barrister. I am old enough so that Latin and logic were still required at the public school I attended and this helped me immensely during my preparation for admission to the Bar Council. In fact I would say that my private reading and public school education made all this very easy when compared to the difficult course work required to earn my engineering degree.

During my course of studies at University I took no greater joy than spending hours of my free time amongst the stacks at the Library. Second only to girls this was my passion.  I would roam the dusty stacks in my spare time (between studies) reading and browsing books- especially those from the 17th and 18th century (and those written in Latin). My University, although not amongst the oldest in Great Britain, is still ancient by most measures. I found my self fascinated by obscure works written by the Scholastics and I soon realized that their world view was completely antithetical to those of the modern world (this modern world being 1964 ).  One incident that occurred the summer of 1964 is burned in my memory. I was in my maternal Grandfather’s study sitting in a leather arm chair discussing the ideas of the philosopher and lexicographer, Samuel Johnson, one afternoon. I can still remember the sun light streaming through the old fashioned wooden blinds of the windows and lighting up the dust particles in a warm glow. My Grandfather (Great Papa to me) gave me a quizzical look and said, right out of the blue, “You do KNOW that the earth is NOT a globe, Richard?”

I actually had no response to that unprovoked question other than thinking “well the old gentleman is in his dotage and his brain has finally untracked itself”. But he rummaged amongst the stacks of books littering his desk, and the floor beside it, and handed me a well worn green leather bound book with the title “The Earth is Not a Globe”. “Here”, he said, pushing it towards me, “read this and think upon what it says and it will place your engineering studies in an entire new light.”

I wish I could say that I read it immediately- but being young and foolish I did not. It lingered on my bookshelf for a number of years- until one day after I had been accepted to the bar, about a year after my grandfather’s death. I had been thinking about the old man and saw the book sitting in a nook in my study and I begin reading it. It aligned perfectly with ideas that had been swimming in my head, just out of sight, doubts and other interpretation of the phenomena and engineering principles I had studied in school.

At what age were you diagnosed with a mental illness? Did you ever receive treatment?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 04:58:11 PM »
Oh and I forgot this tidbit- one of the rounders who posts here regularly chided me for using Feet/second squared rather than meters per second squared which is one of the most pedantic thing I have read in about a decade. Well, actually not pedantic as I consider it since 32 f/s/s actually the equivalent of 9 m/s/s. I will retract pedantic and substitute the word "silly" in its stead.
  • Metric units are used in most of the world - apart from a few old-fashioned countries like the UK (Ireland uses Metric, Ulster uses Imperial) and one the most "old-fashioned" and conservative countries - the "good old" US of A!
  • 32 ft/s2 is the equivalent of 9.7536 m/s2 NOT 9 m/s2
  • The accepted "standard gravity" is 9.80665 m/s2 or if you live in a back-ward country, 32.174 ft/s2.
Oh, what a joke! You are going to help us break the shackles of ignorance and change to a model that cannot explain dozens of things we see abort us - such as the sun rising due east and setting due west everywhere on earth on March 20 (the equinox).

Actually not quite everywhere on earth - BOTH poles will 24 hour daylight on that day (I won't say sun -  it could easily be cloudy!) - try to explain that on your precious Pepperoni Pizza Planet.

E&OE - I'm late, late for a very important date! (Breakfast).

getrealzommb

• We do actually live on a ball: But who cares?
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 05:44:13 PM »

Our human frailty displays most itself vituperatively when snip................... yada yaday yada.... TL:DR

Cool story bro.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:48:30 PM by getrealzommb »

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 02:03:04 AM »
One incident that occurred the summer of 1964 is burned in my memory. I was in my maternal Grandfather’s study sitting in a leather arm chair discussing the ideas of the philosopher and lexicographer, Samuel Johnson, one afternoon. I can still remember the sun light streaming through the old fashioned wooden blinds of the windows and lighting up the dust particles in a warm glow. My Grandfather (Great Papa to me) gave me a quizzical look and said, right out of the blue, “You do KNOW that the earth is NOT a globe, Richard?”

That's why I'm here.  Someday, if you don't turn away from the flat earth, you will be in the same place as your grandfather, teaching your children or grandchildren that the earth is flat, despite all the evidence to the contrary, and permanently poisoning their minds with your seeming wisdom.  They will grow up to scorn our greatest achievements, and encourage others to do the same, living in constant paranoia of an organization they have no valid reason to distrust.  They will be wrong, as you and your grandfather are wrong in ways beyond what either of you could comprehend.  I can't afford not to try and set the record straight. 
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 02:13:04 AM »
What are your greatest achievements that you speak of? 

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 02:16:09 AM »
Moon landings, space travel, and exploration of the universe. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 02:20:50 AM »

You're an astronaut? 

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 02:49:50 AM »

You're an astronaut?
No, I'm an aerospace engineering student.  But since you don't want to believe in what NASA does, and are actively working against them, we believers and supporters will keep the achievements to ourselves. 

You know the story of the little red hen, where she goes through all the work to bake the bread, and then gets to eat it herself because nobody else helped her?  You play the figurative fox that tries to accuse the hen of fraud for his own purposes.  No bread for you!
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 02:56:03 AM »

You're an astronaut?

What,  you think that you have to be an astronaut to understand the great achievements of the human race? 

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 03:02:41 AM »
Sir Richard,

I'm not going to disparage your world view,  it's you opinion and you are entitled to think what you like.  I found you story way too twee, and I think it's a product of your delusional state of mind that you probably genuinely believe your own stories. 

News flash,  the earth is not flat,  never has been.   Ptolemy ( a famous geocentrist)  never believed the earth to be flat.   You can argue heliocentric vs geocentric, and ultimately it doesn't change the relative motions of the sun earth and the planets.  Either one will do the same job.   Occams Razor prefers heliocentric.

I encourage you to continue your research,  be sure to let us know it you find conclusive proof of a flat earth.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 03:27:18 AM »

You're an astronaut?
No, I'm an aerospace engineering student.  But since you don't want to believe in what NASA does, and are actively working against them, we believers and supporters will keep the achievements to ourselves. 

You know the story of the little red hen, where she goes through all the work to bake the bread, and then gets to eat it herself because nobody else helped her?  You play the figurative fox that tries to accuse the hen of fraud for his own purposes.  No bread for you!

You probably just believe anything that your liberal teachers tell you.  Perhaps, one day, you could try using your own mind for a change? 

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 03:32:14 AM »

You're an astronaut?

You probably just believe anything that your liberal teachers tell you.  Perhaps, one day, you could try using your own mind for a change?
I believe what the evidence supports. 

You believe whatever your wiki says. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 03:38:08 AM »

You're an astronaut?

We have had several aerospace engineers here over the years who were flat Earthers.  They saw the light, and gave very good evidence against the globular Earth.  Do you think you are special or something? 

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 03:48:06 AM »

You're an astronaut?

We have had several aerospace engineers here over the years who were flat Earthers.  They saw the light, and gave very good evidence against the globular Earth.  Do you think you are special or something?
I don't trust them.  Of course they would say they're aerospace engineers for credibility.  But obviously they never encountered the SPACE part of AeroSPACE engineering. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 04:16:09 AM »
  • Metric units are used in most of the world - apart from a few old-fashioned countries like the UK (Ireland uses Metric, Ulster uses Imperial) and one the most "old-fashioned" and conservative countries - the "good old" US of A!
  • The accepted "standard gravity" is 9.80665 m/s2 or if you live in a back-ward country, 32.174 ft/s2.
    . [/b]
I stand corrected- your post chiding me for using Imperial rather than metric was both silly AND pedantic[/list]

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 04:22:54 AM »
    . [/b]
I stand corrected- your post chiding me for using Imperial rather than metric was both silly AND pedantic[/list]
No self-respecting physicist, engineer, or scientist would be caught dead using ft/s^2.  It doesn't matter where you are, you use metric for physics calculations.  It's not silly or pedantic; it's good form and correct. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 04:36:58 AM »
I suspect that Sir Richard may well be posting from the 19th century.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 04:38:39 AM »

So you are saying that only Americans can become heated whilst debating? Then you are quite wrong with that.

As to Donald Trump, I still do not understand how he is in the running for president of the United States. You cannot use him to generalize the American public, however, as his unfavorable ratings have gone up, breaching 60% and continuing to rise rather quickly.

Why yes, I do live in America. However, I have been brought up with strong Hispanic roots (and an open, scientific mind I might add) and have rejected several American ideals.
I would suggest that we have different definitions of heated. Except for declasse football fans (football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans and rugby is a hooligans game played by gentleman's) it is considered bad form to lose one's temper in a debate. In fact in my grammar school, many years ago we learned a poem by rote which I think is a great help to still the passions which make us all over-wrought:

The Temper

"Oh do not lose your temper
For you have not a spare
It appears in abundance with no short supply
But the one the Lord gave you must last 'til you die.

You original temper came with a fine guarantee
But it must last for your lifetime
So use cautiously.

You have other devices
With such fine qualities
They are love, joy, and patience
or peace, self control
Assembled by your Maker and woven into a whole
Or you can chose  kindness and goodness
Wrapped in faithfulness
You will find to your pleasure they will clean up any mess.

So use not your temper
Or if so, sparingly.
You will find life is sweeter
And your friends will agree."

I will generalize, because generalities are, in general true, even if not in the particular.
Americans are aggressive and tend to spout off as if expert on everything that comes into ones mind when compared to Brits. A Yank will give you their opinion even if unwanted or unasked. An exercise that a Yank should take would be as follows- take a New York City Subway and then ride the London tube. The difference is startling.

One other thing about language (the English Language) it is said that the "English and Americans are separated by a common language" and I would heartily concur with this statement.

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 04:42:06 AM »
[

At what age were you diagnosed with a mental illness? Did you ever receive treatment?
'Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit umquam . "
― Aristotle

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 05:02:54 AM »

I would suggest that we have different definitions of heated. Except for declasse football fans (football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans and rugby is a hooligans game played by gentleman's) it is considered bad form to lose one's temper in a debate. In fact in my grammar school, many years ago we learned a poem by rote which I think is a great help to still the passions which make us all over-wrought:

The Temper

For you have not a spare

So use cautiously.

You have other devices
With such fine qualities
or peace, self control
Wrapped in faithfulness

So use not your temper
Or if so, sparingly.

I will generalize, because generalities are, in general true, even if not in the particular.
Americans are aggressive and tend to spout off as if expert on everything that comes into ones mind when compared to Brits. A Yank will give you their opinion even if unwanted or unasked. An exercise that a Yank should take would be as follows- take a New York City Subway and then ride the London tube. The difference is startling.

One other thing about language (the English Language) it is said that the "English and Americans are separated by a common language" and I would heartily concur with this statement.
Sure, it's all well and good to keep one's temper during a debate.  You know what's more important?  Rationality.  You have to remember to weigh each side fairly.  This means not making things up if you don't have a good explanation.  Either find a valid explanation, or concede. 

Even more important is Intellectual Honesty, which I will let you read on yourself. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 05:19:33 AM »

That's why I'm here.  Someday, if you don't turn away from the flat earth, you will be in the same place as your grandfather, teaching your children or grandchildren that the earth is flat, despite all the evidence to the contrary, and permanently poisoning their minds with your seeming wisdom.  They will grow up to scorn our greatest achievements, and encourage others to do the same, living in constant paranoia of an organization they have no valid reason to distrust.  They will be wrong, as you and your grandfather are wrong in ways beyond what either of you could comprehend.  I can't afford not to try and set the record straight.
First - I have no paranoia- or at least there is no evidence of any in the posts I have written. If you have evidence of such please paste it into this site and refer to it please. The reason I have no paranoia is because, as the poet wrote "I fear nothing with the sword of truth and light in my hand."

Let me say in all humility that I have nothing to boast or brag about with regards to my own achievements.  My parents did all they could to prepare me (and subject to the human condition they made mistakes in rearing me; but blessedly few). However when you refer to my Grandfather and trying to save future generations from his "poisonous" knowledge I judge you lacking in credentials and standing to say such.

My grandfather started life in a Welsh coal mine at the age of 8 gathering coal in tubs. He was lowered via a bucket into a deep mine shaft and sent pulling a tub, on a track. into the crevices. The mine owners favored small children because they the could squeeze into small coal seams that adults could not get fit into. Accidents were common and included flooding, cave ins and explosions. These accidents were all to common and a visit to  these old mining town's graveyards would show you the number of young who died whilst working for less than a shilling a day. However my grandfather's personality, despite these trials, was ebullient and his mind brilliant and creative. He had a mechanical aptitude bordered on genius or perhaps strayed over that border. 

According to a story he told me one afternoon after his shift (for he worked a 12 hour shift that ended at noon)- the conveyor on the tipple broke. This made  it impossible to move the coal to the waiting railway lorries. Like a monkey he scampered up it and had the foreman throw him some tools. Within 10 minutes he had fixed the problem before you could say "Jack be Quick". The foreman took notice of this and pulled him out of the "scamper work" as it was called.  Eventually at age 15 he was leading the mine repair team and, making friends with the head mine engineer, began learning to use the surveyor's transit as work on the mines expanded. He was apparently so engaging that the owner of the mine allowed him to sit for his technical licensure and earn his a surveyor's license. Along the way he devised a better mechanical method for sorting coal (important in those days since the higher grade of coal was sold for home heating earning the mine higher profits) and had enough sense (and had saved enough money) to apply for a patent.  He learned to read by attending the Methodist Sunday School each week and honed those skills by reading technical manuals (relating to coal production) at night; apparently subsiding on less than three hours of sleep per night (a habit that persisted until the day he died).

His acumen was so impressive that four mine owners invested in his new enterprise which he started at age 20 to manufacture this new sorting apparatus and by age 25 his company employed over 200 people with enough annual turnover and profits to make him wealthy (a relative term I must admit). His own regret was his own lack of formal educational and he insisted that his daughter (his only issue) and grand children (that would include me) receive the finest education possible.  This in a time when women were considered fit only for laughing and batting their eyes and having babies.  His home (now sadly out of the family due to the Inland Revenue Services demand that exorbitant  Estate Taxes be paid) had a library (which I mentioned earlier) that was full to the brim with volumes on every subject. How I loved that room with the shelves overflowing with tomes and stacks of papers and books laying haphazardly everywhere.

I assume your moniker as "student" is correct and that your age, most probably, is under one score. Youth has the habit over overestimating their knowledge and import. There is nothing wrong with this, it is simply a truism. But having said this I suspect you would do better than to call my grandfather's knowledge poison since he had accomplished more at the age of 25 than you,  or most people, especially given his humble starting circumstances. I say this humbly knowing that my own accomplishments pale next to his.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:25:20 AM by Sir Richard »

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 05:27:49 AM »
    . [/b]
No self-respecting physicist, engineer, or scientist would be caught dead using ft/s^2.  It doesn't matter where you are, you use metric for physics calculations.  It's not silly or pedantic; it's good form and correct.
This is Simply not true. Look at any surveyors plot on the US or Civil Engineering Drawing or design and you will see that  they use English or Imperial measures.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 05:45:04 AM »

First - I have no paranoia- or at least there is no evidence of any in the posts I have written. If you have evidence of such please paste it into this site and refer to it please. The reason I have no paranoia is because, as the poet wrote "I fear nothing with the sword of truth and light in my hand."

Let me say in all humility that I have nothing to boast or brag about with regards to my own achievements.  My parents did all they could to prepare me (and subject to the human condition they made mistakes in rearing me; but blessedly few). However when you refer to my Grandfather and trying to save future generations from his "poisonous" knowledge I judge you lacking in credentials and standing to say such.

My grandfather started life in a Welsh coal mine at the age of 8 gathering coal in tubs. He was lowered via a bucket into a deep mine shaft and sent pulling a tub, on a track. into the crevices. The mine owners favored small children because they the could squeeze into small coal seams that adults could not get fit into. Accidents were common and included flooding, cave ins and explosions. These accidents were all to common and a visit to  these old mining town's graveyards would show you the number of young who died whilst working for less than a shilling a day. However my grandfather's personality, despite these trials, was ebullient and his mind brilliant and creative. He had a mechanical aptitude bordered on genius or perhaps strayed over that border.  According to a story he told me one afternoon after his shift (for he worked a 12 hour shift that ended at noon)- the conveyor on the tipple broke. This made  it impossible to move the coal to the waiting railway lorries. Like a monkey he scampered up it and had the foreman throw him some tools. Within 10 minutes fixed the problem before you could say "Jack be Quick". The foreman took notice of this an pulled him out of the "scamper work" as it was called.  Eventually at age 15 he was leading the mine repair team and, making friends with the head mine engineer,, begin learning to use the surveyors transit as work on the mines expanded. He was apparently so engaging that the owner of the mine allowed him to sit for his technical licensure and earn his a surveyor.'s license Along the way he devised a better mechanical method for sorting coal (important in those days since the higher grade of coal was sold for home heating earnings the mine higher profits) and had enough sense (and had saved enough money) to apply for a patent.  He learned to read by attending Methodist Sunday School each week and honed those skills by reading technical manuals (relating to coal production) at night; apparently subsiding on less than three hours of sleep per night (a habit that persisted until the day he died).

His acumen was so impressive that four mine owners invested in his new enterprise which he started at age 20 to manufacture this new sorting apparatus and by age 25 his company employed over 200 people with enough annual turnover and profits to make him wealthy (a relative term I must admit). His own regret was his own lack of formal educational and he insisted that his daughter (his only issue) and grand children (that would include me) receive the finest education possible.  This in a time when women were considered fit only for laughing and batting their eyes and having babies.  His home (now sadly out of the family due to the Inland Revenue Services demand that exorbitant  Estate Taxes be paid) had a library (which I mentioned earlier) that was full to the brim with volumes on every subject. How I loved that room with the shelves overflowing with tomes and stacks of papers and books laying haphazardly everywhere.

I assume your moniker as "student" is correct and that your age, most probably, is under one score. Youth has the habit over overestimating their knowledge and import. There is nothing wrong with this, it is simply a truism. But having said this I suspect you would do better than to call my grandfather's knowledge poison since he had accomplished more at the age of 25 than you,  or most people, especially given his humble starting circumstances. I say this humbly knowing that my own accomplishments pale next to his.
Listen, I mean no disrespect to your grandfather.  I understand that you hold him close, and seeing his backstory, I can tell that he was obviously someone to look up to.  But that demonstrates how potent and infectious flat earth theory can be: even the best of us are not immune.  Just because someone was an exceptional person does not mean that they were always correct.  Some of the greatest people we think of were actually deeply racist, sexist, homophobic, or any number of things that we find disgusting today.  Von Braun, a personal hero of mine, actually worked with the Nazis.  Your grandfather was a great man, who, at some point, neglected to give both sides their fair say, and as a result, gave over fully to the idea that the earth was flat.  And he passed that on to you.  Admire your heroes for their accomplishments and ideas, but recognize that they, too, are only human. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 06:23:42 AM »

I would suggest that we have different definitions of heated. Except for declasse football fans (football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans and rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen) it is considered bad form to lose one's temper in a debate. In fact in my grammar school, many years ago we learned a poem by rote which I think is a great help to still the passions which make us all over-wrought:

The Temper

For you have not a spare

So use cautiously.

You have other devices
With such fine qualities
or peace, self control
Wrapped in faithfulness

So use not your temper
Or if so, sparingly.

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 06:26:51 AM »
I suspect that Sir Richard may well be posting from the 19th century.
To quote the Bard
"Let us go in together,
And still your fingers on your lips, I pray.
The time is out of joint—O cursèd spite,
That ever I was born to set it right!
Nay, come, let's go together."