Why does mathematics predict a spherical earth?

• 62 Replies

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: Why does mathematics predict a spherical earth?
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 08:12:50 PM »
I read it the whole time. You thought the telescope was magical and could perform calculations.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 08:15:41 PM »
Oh, I thought you actually read not only the title, but the OP.  I suppose I was wrong.  :(

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 08:25:31 PM »
Oh, I thought you actually read not only the title, but the OP.  I suppose I was wrong.  :(
I did read it, you did not.
How exactly is this magical telescope predicting any calculations?  ???
Magical telescope predicting calculations? Where did you dream up that?

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 08:28:05 PM »
So, you still have not read the title or the OP.  Got it. 

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 08:32:26 PM »
Keep digging.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 08:35:19 PM »
So, you still have not read the title or the OP.  Got it. 

???

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 08:37:30 PM »
Why does mathematics that we can do at home with a telescope and calculator predict a round earth?

Also, thanks guys i actually went and did the research and proved to myself that the earth is round. I never would have done that without this society. Yay for independent thought 😊😊
Just quit.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 08:41:13 PM »
So, you did finally read the OP?  I hope you read the title as well.  :D

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 08:43:33 PM »
I think a trip to one of your local schools,  colleges, universities or astronomical observatories would clear up the matter of the method and mathematical calculations from the information on bearings, etc. you would get from your telescope would clear up this question. If there are any astronomical societies or clubs in your area  they could probably tell you how this is done.

In other words - Do a little research !
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:46:01 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »
Googleotomy is the sokarul of the interwebs.  Where you dropped on the head as a child?   ???

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
So, you did finally read the OP?  I hope you read the title as well.  :D

"Why does mathematics predict a spherical earth?"

Yup, no mention of a telescope predicting anything.

Put your GED away.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:40 PM »
Googleotomy is the sokarul of the interwebs.  Where you dropped on the head as a child?   ???

Nope. But some people may have some doubts about you, jroa.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 08:48:45 PM »
sokarul seems to be pre-obsessed about GEDs.  Have you been studying for yours? 

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2016, 09:35:32 AM »
I don't know how he did the mathematics...

For me, equatorially mounted telescopes must be aligned to the N. or S. Celestial Poles. This includes mobile amateur telescopes and professional permanent ones like those at Mt. Palomar. The alignment corresponds EXACTLY to the latitude of the observer. The alignment must also be parallel to the axis of the Earth and sky so objects can be tracked with one motor (as has been done for decades). There is only one shape that I know of that matches this - mount aligned to latitude and parallel to the Earth/sky axis. That is a sphere. If you know of any other, please do tell.

To bad this gets ignored. How does FE account for the fact I have to align my telescope mount EXACTLY to my longitude and latitude in order to align on the polar axis for me to prevent star trailing, drifting etc. ?

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2016, 05:39:04 PM »
To bad this gets ignored. How does FE account for the fact I have to align my telescope mount EXACTLY to my longitude and latitude in order to align on the polar axis for me to prevent star trailing, drifting etc. ?

There isn't, so of course the FE'ers ignore it and derail the thread... hi there jroa!

The following is a thread in which JR and all UFE 'models' are destroyed by equatorial telescope mounts > http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=64697.0

14 pages of evasions, non-answers and blathering from the FE'ers.

?

dispute

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2016, 08:37:26 PM »
I missed you too Jroa (hugs)

?

dispute

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2016, 08:38:51 PM »
I think a trip to one of your local schools,  colleges, universities or astronomical observatories would clear up the matter of the method and mathematical calculations from the information on bearings, etc. you would get from your telescope would clear up this question. If there are any astronomical societies or clubs in your area  they could probably tell you how this is done.

In other words - Do a little research !

Thanks mate

?

dispute

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2016, 02:51:34 AM »

There isn't, so of course the FE'ers ignore it and derail the thread... hi there jroa!

The following is a thread in which JR and all UFE 'models' are destroyed by equatorial telescope mounts > http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=64697.0

14 pages of evasions, non-answers and blathering from the FE'ers.

That was beautiful i enjoyed that very much 😂😂

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2016, 05:10:43 AM »
Does Jroa really think that any calculations done with an instrument mean that that instrument can calculate by itself?
The OP never says that the telescope is the one doing the calculations, just that the calculations are done by using a telescope.
There is a difference between something being used to do a task and that thing doing that task independently.
The fact that a lot of this three page debate is jroa misreading a post and then complaining that no-one else misread it like him, does not exactly indicate a sound intellect on his part.
They are taking the hobbits to Isengard.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »
So, where is this calculating telescope that anyone can use to verify the shape of the Earth, retard?
No, YOU read the OP. he said that with a telescope AND a calculator you can show the earth is round. Not that there's a calculating telescope.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2016, 10:13:45 AM »
Aside from these weird arguments about what the OP meant.

Geodesics. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesics_on_an_ellipsoid) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesics_on_an_ellipsoid#Applications) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_distance)

The two longitudinal geodesics begin parallel. The base is parallel with the lateral geodesic axis. The two longitudinal geodesics are 90 degrees to the lateral geodesic. They meet at the north pole with an angle of 60 degrees. If the geometry were flat, the two longitudinal lines with initial parallelism would retain that parallelism indefinitely, unless the geometry were not flat.

Another way of looking at it is that the form is a closed triangle consisting of an angular sum greater than 180 degrees. the geometry is convex.

Geodesics is a very well developed science engaged in defining the structure of geometry. this is one of the greatest, most irrefutable indications that the geometry of Earth is spherical. Geodesics when plotted via parallel transport (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_transport) across the geometry of earth are found to be behaving such that the geometry is curved, where initially parallel vectors become unparalleled when following a geodesic. This does not happen on flat geometry.

This is why mathematics predicts proves a spherical earth.

This is also why flight navigation looks weird.

"A planar approximation for the surface of the earth may be useful over small distances. The accuracy of distance calculations using this approximation become increasingly inaccurate as:

-The separation between the points becomes greater;
    -A point becomes closer to a geographic pole.

The shortest distance between two points in plane is a straight line. The Pythagorean theorem is used to calculate the distance between points in a plane.

Even over short distances, the accuracy of geographic distance calculations which assume a flat Earth depend on the method by which the latitude and longitude coordinates have been projected onto the plane."
~ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_distance#Flat-surface_formulae)

Flight navigation follows the geodesics of the spherical geometry of Earth, and it works, fundamentally, to a complete degree of accuracy. When expressed in planar form the geodesic appears longer than the shortest line between two points:

This is simply an artifact of looking at a spherical geometry in planar form. In the image, the red line is the shortest path between both points, flight times prove this. If the earth were flat, flight navigation would not ever have to consider this, nor would long flight radar tracking appear in the manner expressed here.

Global Circumnavigation. This is a straight line.

If the Earth were a flat geometry flight paths would follow the shortest path in the planner expression, not the spherical geodesic which appears longer in the planner expression. In the images above the red lines are straight lines because the geometry is spherical. If 2 planes that set off at the same time headed to the arrival point. the plane following the red line (in the first image) would get there first. Explain this in the context of a flat earth geometry.

It is when, and only when those vectors are expressed across spherical geometry, that the red line is the shortest. This is proven via practical application every single time an airplane makes a long distance flight.

case closed?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:38:36 AM by TigerWidow »

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »
How exactly is this magical telescope predicting any calculations?  ???
I take it you didn't do well in high school physics?

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2016, 08:29:21 PM »
Jroa, rather than sounding like you're 14 years old, how about you explain why mathematics is not enough to prove the earth is round.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2016, 08:37:56 PM »
How about your people just stop claiming that we say things that we do not? Would that be so hard for you? 

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2016, 08:52:03 PM »
How about your people just stop claiming that we say things that we do not? Would that be so hard for you?

Like what?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2016, 08:56:26 PM »
I am sorry, but I did not realize that you did not speak the Queen's English.   

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2016, 09:10:03 PM »
Does Jroa really think that any calculations done with an instrument mean that that instrument can calculate by itself?
The OP never says that the telescope is the one doing the calculations, just that the calculations are done by using a telescope.
There is a difference between something being used to do a task and that thing doing that task independently.
The fact that a lot of this three page debate is jroa misreading a post and then complaining that no-one else misread it like him, does not exactly indicate a sound intellect on his part.
I back you 100%

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »
I am sorry, but I did not realize that you did not speak the Queen's English.

Are you talking to me or someone else?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
Honestly, I'm with Jroa here. The OP claimed 'mathematics predicts a spherical Earth,' and referenced using a telescope, and provided no actual argument or experiment. "A telescope proves it," is not really an argument unless you can say how. Is this observations of the horizon, the stars, or is the plan to hit Obama with the telescope until he admits to the conspiracy? No details, no argument.

Mathematics is plenty, but the fact is, in this case, none was really provided. With no argument being presented, there's not much for anyone to say. The fact a discussion went on three pages says far too much about this site.
True, a couple of more interesting bits and pieces did pop up, but they weren't discussed (likely because to explain, say, equatorial aligned telescopes and then have a discussion on them is far too meaty a subject to get into as an aside, as the huge thread previously linked to demonstrates, which seems to be nothing more than two people without any idea what the other person is talking about shouting at one another).
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »
But what about Geodesy?! Screw the OP and the 3 pages of circular semantic arguments. The question was "how does mathematics predict a spherical earth?

Geodesics!. Not only do they predict, but prove the curvature of the earth.

Why has no one responded to this? It's (yet more) irrefutable, measurable, observable evidence of the curvature of the surface of Earth and it's mathematical in nature. Using basic trigonometry and Pythagorean theorem, it shows that triangulation across long distances (even something as small as a couple of miles) gives triangulation with angular sums larger than 180 degrees. It's also core to correct flight navigation. Explains why straight flight vectors appear curved when viewing those vectors in a planar expression, so much more.

Nothing though, no responses. Is it just another case of overtly blind siding key evidence of the cases against the idea that the earth is flat?

I'm quickly coming to the understanding that this "debate" (I use the term loosely) is intentionally rigged! It isn't a debate! It's a waste of time!  >:(