How to calculate the distance of the sun?

• 64 Replies
Re: How to calculate the distance of the sun?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »
From this , can we assume that the sun could be any where between 517 miles or  3,959 miles above the earth ?
I hope some of those Flat Earth Scientists can work this one out!
Bendy light?
No comment yet with the sun seeming to be be anywhere between 517 miles or 3,959 miles above the earth.
Worse than Rowbotham's measured 700 miles!

3,959 miles is very close to the mean radius of the spheroidal earth. Apparently the FE "height of the Sun" technique when the Sun is near vertical gives a good estimate of the size of the spherical Earth. Ironic.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 11:15:49 AM »
I'll take that as a no, then.  ::)

What, you think it's a theory?

the·o·ry
ˈTHēərē/Submit
noun
a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

::)

No no no, you've got it all wrong.

What you describe is a hypothesis.
It's not a theory untill it's proven by repeated experiments.
Just like evolution, quantum physics, chemical combustion or electricity.
Perhaps you should contact Merriam-Webster and explain to them how you are so much smarter than they are?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:54:17 AM by jroa »

?

ER22

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »
mercury and venus are lies, they are pictures strapped to gulfstream jets by NASA

Unfortunately you are right.
Now we will have to eradicate you.

This is an official message sent from the Keepers Of the Conspiracy Knowledge.
Don't forget to visit our website at nasa.gov!
Show me a Flat Earth map that works.

sircool

• flat, round, whatever throats your goat
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 10:14:57 AM »

the·o·ry
ˈTHēərē/Submit
noun
a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

No no no, you've got it all wrong.

What you describe is a hypothesis.
It's not a theory untill it's proven by repeated experiments.
Just like evolution, quantum physics, chemical combustion or electricity.
Perhaps you should contact Merriam-Webster and explain to them how you are so much smarter than they are?

It's an allright definition of the word theory, but fails to explain what a scientific theory is. These are two different things.
If it's flat, that would be very interesting for science

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 12:58:58 PM »
Not to mention that the sun light at the surface of the Earth is 38 Septillion watts and there are 18 lumens to a watt.

This means that at any altitude over a flat earth the sun would light up the entire earth. As for a "spotlight" effect, the light would still be seen from any point on a FE. This can be proved by going out to say Death Valley with  flashlight. The light can be seen many miles away even when viewed at a right angle.

Never mind that the spotlight effect would NOT give the moon ANY light being it is said by FET to be the same alt over the FE.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

Sir Richard

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 01:40:01 PM »
No, it is more like this.

Maybe this could work, if the sun was much closer. But then again, we'd all be dead.
Only if the sun were as large as the rounders suppose- but it is not
"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"  J Stalin

"It is not the people that vote that count it is the people that count the votes" J Stalin

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 02:03:48 PM »

Maybe this could work, if the sun was much closer. But then again, we'd all be dead.

You understand that saying we are wrong is not proving we are wrong, right? 
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

sircool

• flat, round, whatever throats your goat
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2016, 11:48:27 PM »

Care to explain how you could possibly know this?
If it's flat, that would be very interesting for science

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2016, 10:22:16 AM »

the·o·ry
ˈTHēərē/Submit
noun

This definition follows the only logic you FE people seem to apply to these arguments. Vagueness and inherent lack of credibility. See in the scientific community, the definition that you supplied here would be fitting of not a theory, but a hypothesis. An inclination to explain some underlying principles or events. A theory in the scientific sense is a reliable and accurate (not to mention excruciatingly detailed) model formulated upon tested and true hypothesis. Basically, it's some next level shit compared to the ideology presented by FE. FE contains no probable grounds upon which it is entitled theoretical status. I'm not here to sway anybody to RE over FE, I simply disagree with the logic (or lack thereof) that is continually applied by avid FE-ers in their humiliating and mundane attempts at thwarting RE. To be completely honest, I had never realized until a few days ago that this flat earth society even exists. It's been intriguing to explore the concepts and ideas that few have presented in an intelligent and practical or even plausibly accurate way, but I have yet to see fruitful evidence supporting any of these wild assertions. A model cannot work with out providing testable and measurable predictions. Even then, these predictions must agree with the actual system that these models serve to describe and must do so time and time again, under extreme scrutiny, skepticism and indeed even disbelief. It is the models that survive this onslaught over time and still maintain accuracy and integrity (almost always gaining advancements in both), that are suitable as a theoretical framework for any system. The FE model as I have so far come to understand it (far from perfectly), does not fit into this criteria. It's like a kid that got held back a grade every year, but for the last (couple? Few?) Thousands of years. It never dropped out of the race to finish, just has not made any progress. Redundancy is a burden more often than  not, but certainly within the scope of collective human knowledge and understanding. If you have any actually testable evidence that may lenders credence to the FE model's legitimacy as anything but complete garbage, I'd love to hear it.
“Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
-Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »

Sir Richard.. seriously bro.. you're fuckin killing me here. DO YOU HAVE ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL? All you do around here is continually state that the earth is flat, that you're right and that thousands of years of superior intelligence and real effort at deriving meaning from the world is wrong. You never, not even one fuckin time, support your claims with any kind of testable proof. So literally nothing you say has even the slightest intention of being anything but some sedistic form of trolling for a reaction from RE supporters. Grow the fuck up and join the debate with real evidence to support your argument and successfully snub out all scientific knowledge of a round earth, or don't expect your arguments to be considered feasible.
“Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
-Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

?

palmerito0

• Why does this forum exist?
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2016, 12:01:28 PM »

What size is the sun, then? If it was small enough to remain the same apparent size at the distances you are suggesting (1000s of miles) the sun would not shine.
Heiwa on the impossibility of space travel:

There are no toilets up there and sex is also a problem, just to mention a few difficulties.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
What size is the sun, then? If it was small enough to remain the same apparent size at the distances you are suggesting (1000s of miles) the sun would not shine.

Stop lying.  A burning piece of coal shines.  Size is not a prerequisite for things to shine.  ::)

?

palmerito0

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »

Stop lying.  A burning piece of coal shines.  Size is not a prerequisite for things to shine.  ::)

Size is a prerequisite if you are talking about the fusion present in stars. The sizes at which we are talking about are not enough to induce fusion, but that doesn't really matter since you don't believe in gravitation (or do you?).

If it isn't fusion, what powers the sun?

There are no toilets up there and sex is also a problem, just to mention a few difficulties.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2016, 03:09:17 PM »

Size is a prerequisite if you are talking about the fusion present in stars. The sizes at which we are talking about are not enough to induce fusion, but that doesn't really matter since you don't believe in gravitation (or do you?).

You are trying to apply elements from your round Earth indoctrination onto our flat Earth theory.

?

palmerito0

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2016, 03:10:44 PM »

You are trying to apply elements from your round Earth indoctrination onto our flat Earth theory.

Read the last sentence of my post.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2016, 03:17:45 PM »

My theory is that it is powered by almost pure phlogiston. 

?

palmerito0

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlogiston_theory#Challenge_and_demise

If it does exist, what is the nature of this phlogiston?

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2016, 03:45:01 PM »
Its nature is that it burns. 

?

palmerito0

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »

What are its properties?

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2016, 04:07:47 PM »

What are its properties?

It is hot, flammable, and produces light. 

?

palmerito0

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2016, 04:16:58 PM »

What are its properties?

That covers an insane amount of chemicals.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2016, 04:26:21 PM »

What are its properties?

Welcome to the world of science. 

?

palmerito0

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2016, 05:15:30 PM »

What are its properties?

That makes zero sense. You still haven't explained what phlogiston is.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »

What are its properties?

That makes zero sense. You still haven't explained what phlogiston is.

I did explain it.  Were you expecting me to explain how it works in your round Earth world?  Are you lost? 

?

palmerito0

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2016, 05:56:42 PM »
All you've told me is that it burns. For all I know you could be talking about coal.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2016, 06:12:35 PM »
All you've told me is that it burns. For all I know you could be talking about coal.

All you have told me is that you have no real interest in learning; you want to debate.  We have a debate section.  This is the Q&A forum.

?

palmerito0

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2016, 07:01:33 PM »

All you have told me is that you have no real interest in learning; you want to debate.  We have a debate section.  This is the Q&A forum.

But you still won't tell me what phlogistan is. Tell me what it is, and I'll make a thread about it in the debate section.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2016, 07:09:09 PM »

But you still won't tell me what phlogistan is. Tell me what it is, and I'll make a thread about it in the debate section.

I know you have researched the substance.  You even posted a wiki article, or did you conveniently forget you did that? 

?

palmerito0

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2016, 07:15:25 PM »

I know you have researched the substance.  You even posted a wiki article, or did you conveniently forget you did that?

All that wiki article says is that it is "a fire-like element." Anyways, the article outlines several experiments which disprove its existence, so I was trying to find what your version of it is.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2016, 05:38:26 AM »

You are not serious! This must be the biggest joke around at the moment. You wonderful purely imaginary phlogiston is going to burn (without oxygen) for as long as the earth lasts! You do realise that phlogiston was imagined to be the component in combustible material that burnt in the presence of oxygen (in the theory proposed by the alchemist and physician J. J. Becher).

I assume you planted this as a joke, as someone of your undoubted intelligence and expertise would hardly seriously propose such a thing!