Stats for the other site

• 29 Replies

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
Stats for the other site
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:30:40 PM »

This is especially relevant since we've just hit an all-time high when it comes to visits. I sincerely suspect this has to do with us making major overhauls of how our homepage works more than anything.

The full on media battle between BOB and NDT have nothing to do with it of course,  not forgetting Junkers work on reddit,  no, it's all down to web design....   FFS,  how arrogant.

Let's face it, the flat earth movement has been caught flat footed,  the biggest opportunity ever to expound your alternative world view,  and you guys are arguing about word filters.

Time for you to unite,  and stop the petty bickering.   

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:50:43 PM by Rayzor »
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
Re: Stats for the other site
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:11:40 PM »
The full on media battle between BOB and NDT have nothing to do with it of course,  not forgetting Junkers work on reddit,  no, it's all down to web design....   FFS,  how arrogant.
How is acknowleding the impact of Blanko's and Parsifal's efforts arrogant in any way? My, oh my, did you assume that I'm crediting myself here? Perhaps it's time to stop talking about things you have no bloody idea about.

But yes, if you look at the data, the timing doesn't really work out for any of the things you suggested. Our visit count began to rise dramatically after Parsifal introduced HTTPS support across the board and after Blanko overhauled our design (the two largely coincided in time). Both of these actions followed Google's recommendations, so it doesn't sound all that surprising that Google would respond positively to them. Junker's reddit efforts are too recent to even be covered by the graphs I've posted. B.o.B's announcement was also not particularly relevant back in December/early January, because, you know, that's not how time works.

Let's face it, the flat earth movement has been caught flat footed,  the biggest opportunity ever to expound your alternative world view,  and you guys are arguing about word filters.
What the fuck are you talking about? I pointed out I don't like the filter, explained why, and John (mostly) agreed. There is hardly any bickering here. Are you saying two computer guys aren't allowed to have a bit of a chat about SEO? What is wrong with you?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:44:29 PM by PizzaPlanet »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:56:38 PM »
BOB's  tweeting  covered the 24th 25th,   the Sunday and Monday,  he has 2 million twitter followers,  and you don't think this has had any impact on the analytics.   

Let me remind you of what you said
Quote from: PizzaPlanet
This is especially relevant since we've just hit an all-time high when it comes to visits. I sincerely suspect this has to do with us making major overhauls of how our homepage works more than anything.

By the way,   not everything is about you.   When I said you were arrogant,  I meant it,  you still didn't understand what I'm saying. 

I'm making the positive and constructive suggestion that a united front is better for the flat earth movement.   Put the petty differences aside and merge.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:06:51 AM by Rayzor »

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 12:14:37 AM »
BOB's  tweeting  covered the 24th 25th,   the Sunday and Monday,  he has 2 million twitter followers,  and you don't think this has had any impact on the analytics.
Yes, it has no impact on the trend I've described, since that started one month earlier. Unless you can somehow resolve this temporal paradox, your point simply doesn't stand. B.o.B's tweets did not affect our increase in popularity from December. If anything, there's a slight chance that the increase in FET's popularity led to B.o.B's tweets.

Of course it will have an overall impact on things, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I'm making the positive and constructive suggestion that a united front is better for the flat earth movement.

"Positive" and "constructive"... yes. Let me remind you what exactly you said. Note all the positivity and constructive approach:

[...] FFS,  how arrogant. [...]

Time for you to unite,  and stop the petty bickering.   

Put the petty differences aside and merge.
Okay, Rayzor. But, in the meantime, would you please stop talking about things you don't understand? There's a reason we're currently unable to reunify, and this thread is not it. So, please, take your toys elsewhere and focus on something you know about; like wgetting random non-existent files for no apparent reason.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:22:08 AM by PizzaPlanet »

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 12:47:35 AM »

The "all time high"  appears to be January 26th,  ( I'd bet good money it's gone a lot higher since )  two days after B.o.B started tweeting,  and you maintain  that it has had no effect.. 

You'd have a hard time convincing anyone but yourself.

What do the analytics look like for the 27th and 28th?

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 01:21:03 AM »
The "all time high"  appears to be January 26th
Right, so now you're telling me what I meant by my own words, even though I clarified myself twice to specify that I was referring to the trend, and not a single data point. Talk about arrogance.

I appreciate that as a non-native speaker of English I may occasionally not word things perfectly. However, in the face of my now-triple clarification, you really have no business trying to put words in my mouth.

Well, given that the 28th had only just begun, that's a bit of a silly question, isn't it? If you had read my posts, you'd know that I will be "happy to report in later when we have more data".

The 27th saw us take a dip, from around 2700 total visits to around 1700. However, as I explained before, single spikes like these are meaningless. It's the overall upward trend that's actually of significance.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 01:36:52 AM »
The "all time high"  appears to be January 26th
Right, so now you're telling me what I meant by my own words, even though I clarified myself twice to specify that I was referring to the trend, and not a single data point. Talk about arrogance.

I appreciate that as a non-native speaker of English I may occasionally not word things perfectly. However, in the face of my now-triple clarification, you really have no business trying to put words in my mouth.

Well, given that the 28th had only just begun, that's a bit of a silly question, isn't it? If you had read my posts, you'd know that I will be "happy to report in later when we have more data".

The 27th saw us take a dip, from around 2700 total visits to around 1700. However, as I explained before, single spikes like these are meaningless. It's the overall upward trend that's actually of significance.

No, "all time high" refers to a single data point,  not a trend,  in spite of your language disability, I would have thought this was obvious. 

And, no, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth,  I'm pointing out the data you posted.  Whether you understood the data is the question.

The highlighted date is the 23rd,  so the peak is the 26th.

Now, tell me again how it was the web page redesign, and not the spill over from B.o.B's tweets.     

I'm beginning to understand why a merge is unlikely.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 02:42:12 AM »
No, "all time high" refers to a single data point,  not a trend,  in spite of your language disability, I would have thought this was obvious.
"Language disability"? I'd be curious to know how many languages you speak fluently. I also revel in the hypocrisy of you calling me arrogant when you've just proclaimed you consider someone's place of birth to be a "disability".

You may also want to double-check your definitions before opening your mouth again. You know, something about not talking about things you don't understand:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/high#british-1-2-1

We are experiencing a higher level of views than ever before. Since these things are highly volatile, no one ever pays attention to singular data points. This isn't a language issue, this is a "Rayzor behaves like a climate change denier" issue. You're focusing on a single data point that advances your hypothesis and completely ignoring everything that surrounds it.

In other words, you're the guy who claims that the Earth isn't flat (or round, for that matter) because hills and valleys exist. Sure, they do. Nobody cares.

And, no, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth,  I'm pointing out the data you posted.  Whether you understood the data is the question.

The highlighted date is the 23rd,  so the peak is the 26th.
I understand the data, but I also understand why focusing on a single anomaly is ultimately fruitless. Perhaps another graph will help you understand why peaks don't matter.

One more, this time from the Wiki

These things happen every now and then, almost with some regularity, and they mean absolutely nothing in the long term. My prediction is that this situation will be no different from other "major events", and that the views will drop back down to the level from 21st-22nd January and then continue slowly trending up.

Now, tell me again how it was the web page redesign, and not the spill over from B.o.B's tweets.
No one but you is saying it's due to a redesign. Again, you talk about things you don't understand, even though most of the data you need is available on GitHub. But hey, I'll just assume that you meant to use the right word there and I'll carry on with a response.

Simple: We followed Google's recommendations, which have advanced our standing in search results. This happened long before B.o.B's tweets. Since then, we're experiencing a gradual increase in views over time, adjusting for small anomalies like Tila Tequila or B.o.B.

It also couldn't have been a spill-over from B.o.B's tweets because time is, at least from a layman's perspective, largely linear. His tweets can't go back in time to cause this gradual increase.

I'm beginning to understand why a merge is unlikely.
I don't think you're beginning to understand anything. The reason the merge isn't proceeding is that the only person who can perform the relevant tasks on this website has gone AWOL approximately one year ago. I tried to wget him, but for some reason that didn't work.

Y'know, something something talking about things you don't understand.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:16:11 AM by PizzaPlanet »

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 03:27:40 AM »
Your arrogance is breathtaking,   you just reversed everything you've posted previously    Try, and learn a little humility

I don't care where you are born or what you native language is.  "all time high"  in this context is a single data point not a trend.  You know this,  everyone else knows this, but your ego won't let you admit your mistake. 

The fact that this "all time high"  comes immediately after a high profile rapper with 2 million followers starts tweeting about the flat earth and getting into a twitter debate with a high profile astrophysicist who also has 4,850,000 followers,  the story evolves into a rap music battle, and is still being covered extensively by every major news outlet. 

Nope,  none of this has any impact on people searching for flat earth information. 

Sorry I couldn't convince you it is significant,    and,  sorry your ego doesn't allow you to admit when you are proven wrong.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 03:33:05 AM »
Try, and learn a little humility
Again, coming from a man who called someone else's place of birth to be a "disability", that's just cute.

Look, I know what I meant. I clarified it four times now, and even included a graphical guide. If you don't like my choice of phrasing, that's fine, but it doesn't change the substance of my point.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 04:26:14 AM »
Try, and learn a little humility
Again, coming from a man who called someone else's place of birth to be a "disability", that's just cute.

Look, I know what I meant. I clarified it four times now, and even included a graphical guide. If you don't like my choice of phrasing, that's fine, but it doesn't change the substance of my point.

When did I refer to your birthplace as a disability?     

Having to debate in a second language really is a disability,  you more than most should know this.   
Perhaps you are unclear on the meaning of "disability".   It's just means you have a handicap,  it's not usually a derogatory term.
Anyway,  I've made my point,  whether you accept it or not, really doesn't bother me one way or the other.

I'd be interested to see what the traffic stats for t.f.e.s.  over the next week.   ( damn word filter )

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:29:21 AM by Rayzor »

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 04:38:52 AM »
When did I refer to your birthplace as a disability?     

Having to debate in a second language really is a disability,  you more than most should know this.   
Perhaps you are unclear on the meaning of "disability".   It's just means you have a handicap,  it's not usually a derogatory term.
It's not necessarily a derogatory term, although I'd argue that in this context it was one. However, I only just told you off for forcing a meaning onto my words despite my explanations, so perhaps I should try to lead by example. I'll accept your clarification at face value, even if it strikes me as unintuitive.

Anyway,  I've made my point,  whether you accept it or not, really doesn't bother me one way or the other.
Yeah, I remain completely unconvinced. Sorry. I think you're focusing on an insignificant data point, and I doubt that the spike will translate into a lasting change (other than the upwards trend which has been already ongoing)

I'd be interested to see what the traffic stats for t.f.e.s.  over the next week.   ( damn word filter )
I'll gladly share that once the data becomes available.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 04:43:29 AM »

Plonk a 'bold' symbol or something in the middle: tfes. Slightly neater/easier.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 04:56:22 AM »

Plonk a 'bold' symbol or something in the middle: tfes. Slightly neater/easier.

Thanks,  I wouldn't have thought of that.

Here's an interesting exercise. 

Just doing a google news search for "flat earth"  in the last 24 hours, got 41 hits,  nearly all major news services are carrying the B.o.B. v Neil deGrasse Tyson story. 

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%2B%22flat+earth%22&num=100&newwindow=1&biw=1095&bih=678&tbs=qdr:d,sbd:1&tbm=nws&source=lnt&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYqNKuxMzKAhUO4GMKHcqTDd8QpwUIFA&dpr=1.5

The general tone of the few that I read is dismissive of the idea,  but there will always be a percentage that finds the idea resonates with their world view.

Reading between the lines, I think B.o.B  is in the Eric Dubay  camp,  holohoax,  and masonic conspiracy stuff.   Not sure how mainstream media will handle that.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 05:16:21 AM »
I guess I understand why you'd put so much weight on this stuff, but that's exactly how the other spikes I've illustrated came to be - a major news story crops up, people visit briefly out of curiosity, but then they let it go.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:40:10 AM by PizzaPlanet »

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 05:15:31 AM »
I'll gladly share that once the data becomes available.

Any luck with those traffic stats?

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
Sure thing.

I hope we can now agree that my point has been made, and that yours was futile to begin with. Nothing to do with ego, just a simple matter of competent data analysis.

Luckily, I managed to reach out to John despite your attempts at disrupting the conversation. Once again, thanks to JD for sorting this out so quickly.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:38:56 AM by PizzaPlanet »

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 08:11:42 PM »
I hope we can now agree that my point has been made, and that yours was futile to begin with. Nothing to do with ego, just a simple matter of competent data analysis.

So the huge spike was due to web site re-design nothing to do with BoB?    LOL!

I see the impressive website re-design also translated into a spike in Google searches for "flat earth"

https://www.google.com.au/trends/explore#q=Flat%20Earth

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:32:25 PM by Rayzor »

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 01:59:53 AM »

I see the impressive website re-design also translated into a spike in Google searches for "flat earth"

Engy's right. It's not a huge spike, notice that. There is a spike midway through Jan, but there's a slow growth distinctly beforehand. I don't think FEers have yet mastered time travel, so it predates BoB. There is a spike from that, but there's a growth distinct from it.

This is just getting silly.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 06:09:21 PM »

Engy's right. It's not a huge spike, notice that. There is a spike midway through Jan, but there's a slow growth distinctly beforehand. I don't think FEers have yet mastered time travel, so it predates BoB. There is a spike from that, but there's a growth distinct from it.

This is just getting silly.

Looks like a huge spike on Google trends,   and substantially flat before the Bob event.   Apart from the Tila Tequila event in early January.   

https://www.google.com.au/trends/explore#q=Flat%20Earth&date=today%203-m&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT-11

In any event,  there's little point in carrying the discussion further.  If what is a blindingly obvious causal relationship is always going to be ignored.
I suspect  the traffic disparity between the two sites will continue despite web design changes.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 01:31:46 AM »
Looks like a huge spike on Google trends,   and substantially flat before the Bob event.   

In any event,  there's little point in carrying the discussion further.  If what is a blindingly obvious causal relationship is always going to be ignored.
I suspect  the traffic disparity between the two sites will continue despite web design changes.
If by 'substantially flat' you mean 'visibly increasing from the old level.' There's no denying BoB had an effect, but it couldn't be a long-term effect before he even made the news.
That's google trends, sure, but that's not what PP was talking about. If you want obvious trends, the traffic they gave clearly shows an increase pre-Bob, and it looks pretty sustained to me. And what they're saying would imply that traffic to their site would increase even with the same amount of people searching: as it notably has. Are you really just going to completely different statistics rather than paying attention to the traffic stats?

I can easily imagine this site slowly dying, now trolls like Legba are the dominant presence. After all, forum activity is based on new membership: not just traffic. If the tfes increase continues, then they'll get new members while most people wouldn't even want to try dealing with some of the users here, and...

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 04:14:15 AM »
Looks like a huge spike on Google trends,   and substantially flat before the Bob event.   

If by 'substantially flat' you mean 'visibly increasing from the old level.' There's no denying BoB had an effect, but it couldn't be a long-term effect before he even made the news.
That's google trends, sure, but that's not what PP was talking about. If you want obvious trends, the traffic they gave clearly shows an increase pre-Bob, and it looks pretty sustained to me. And what they're saying would imply that traffic to their site would increase even with the same amount of people searching: as it notably has. Are you really just going to completely different statistics rather than paying attention to the traffic stats?

I can easily imagine this site slowly dying, now trolls like Legba are the dominant presence. After all, forum activity is based on new membership: not just traffic. If the tfes increase continues, then they'll get new members while most people wouldn't even want to try dealing with some of the users here, and...

My comments were based on the Google trend data,  I don't have numbers or any numerical detail for TFES stats.   FWIW Your view of Legba coincides pretty much with mine.   :)

Arguing with PP/SW  is a pointless exercise,  he has his view,  and I have mine.   I'm happy to leave it there.   

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 04:22:13 AM »

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 04:42:42 AM »
I don't have numbers or any numerical detail for TFES stats

Sure thing.

I saw the graph,  I was thinking numerical.    Junker's  numbers  provide more detail  than that graph.   Although he claims that it's attributable to stirring the pot on  reddit.

If the spike on Google trends didn't translate into increased sessions,  then I'd wonder about it.   TFES,  doesn't  grab like  theflatearthsociety  as a name.   

But now that I look again,  why doesn't PP's graph mirror the data Junkers posted?   seems like the BoB peak is missing?

I wonder if JD has analytics for this site?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:32:13 AM by Rayzor »

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 08:20:23 PM »
I wonder if PizzaPlanet aka SexWarrior will ever return to explain the glaring discrepancy between Junkers figures and his own.   Was he fudging the numbers?   Or just being dishonest?

I smell a rat.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:23:19 PM by Rayzor »

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 02:11:38 AM »
Well, I am splitting this thread to the lounge, where you people can discuss the numbers all you want. 

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 07:02:53 AM »
Well, I am splitting this thread to the lounge, where you people can discuss the numbers all you want.

Can we also discuss Rayzor's secret crush on PizzaPlanet?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 07:17:14 AM »

No, you will be bummed for ever. 

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »

I thought it was the other way around,  but  since you ask.   No.   

I was actually expecting a tenuous argument about sessions and pageviews,  but  I'm just as happy to leave it where it is. 

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »

No, you will be bummed for ever.

LOL!   very clever.