No offense intended

• 26 Replies
No offense intended
« on: November 30, 2006, 04:00:46 AM »
Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum. I lean toward skeptisism in that I like to have some empirical proof of something before I accept it as truth. I do think that there is some truth in everything--also some falsity. Nothing, as far as I can tell, can be true 100% of the time. I am also an atheist. Having established my general position in the interest of complete disclosure, my question to the folks of the FES is--and I sincerely mean no disrespect--is this society for real, or is it satirical? I feel a little foolish asking :oops: . Please forgive my ignorance. If there really are poeple out there who believe that the earth is flat, would you please post a reply that answers these questions: What made you come to the conclusion that the earth is flat? What is on the other side--ie., the side of the earth that we are not on? How do you explain the curvature seen from the vantage point of an airplane window? If space is exerting equal pressure from all angles, how can a planet maintain a disc shape? If the concept of infinity is false, what is at the "end" of the known universe?
Again, please forgive my ignorance. I am honestly interested in hearing from someone on this. Thank you!
ractice Conscious Evolution

No offense intended
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:07:49 AM »
It's me again. I just wanted to clarify that I understand that many, if not all, of these questions have been covered in the FAQ...I am interested in hearing individual takes on this. Thank you! :D

No offense intended
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 05:22:53 AM »
i doubt youll get a direct reply...theyll proabaly say something like...read the FAQ's or theyll simply claim that pressure is a fallacy or gravity or that the disc shpaed curvature is actually an optial illusion or a hologram.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: No offense intended
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:06:36 AM »
Quote from: "FractalHelix"
What is on the other side--ie., the side of the earth that we are not on?

Nothing but the crust of the earth.
How do you explain the curvature seen from the vantage point of an airplane window?

You can't see it from an airplane.  
If space is exerting equal pressure from all angles, how can a planet maintain a disc shape?

What is exerting a pressure?
If the concept of infinity is false, what is at the "end" of the known universe?

Who said infinity was false?  The end of the universe is where it...ends?

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

beast

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 07:10:55 AM »
If space is exerting equal pressure from all angles, how can a planet maintain a disc shape?

lol, that's so funny.  REers come across as trying to be so smart and then they say stuff like that.  :lol:

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 07:19:22 AM »
Quote from: "beast"

lol, that's so funny.  REers come across as trying to be so smart and then they say stuff like that.  :lol:
Jesus Christ fractalhelix, seriously, please explain this mysterious force from space that enacts itself upon the Earth

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 07:33:30 AM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"

some people have better sight than others. i can't see the curvature of the earth from an airplane, but whose to say someone else can't?
an vir

beast

No offense intended
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 07:39:05 AM »
Who's to say the world isn't flat?

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 07:39:46 AM »
What is on the other side--ie., the side of the earth that we are not on?

Nothing but the crust of the earth.

Have never been proven, no evidence, no references at all.

How do you explain the curvature seen from the vantage point of an airplane window?

You know you and Dionysos seems to be the only ones who claims this.
What about those who've seen it? Like, everyone except you two?  :lol:
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
No offense intended
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 07:40:44 AM »
As a pilot, I have to have 20/30 uncorrected or better (iirc, damn regs seem to change every year), eyesight.  Even I have never seen it.

-- Bob Hudson

No offense intended
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 07:45:12 AM »
As a pilot, I have to have 20/30 uncorrected or better (iirc, damn regs seem to change every year), eyesight.  Even I have never seen it.

Yeah, you've told us that a hundred times already. -_-
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

?

GeoGuy

No offense intended
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 08:31:59 AM »
I've never seen it either. Even from an RE perspective, I don't think Earth's curvature is as visible as most people think.

No offense intended
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 08:49:18 AM »
but it is visible on oceanic beaches with boats

No offense intended
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 08:58:19 AM »
Point being: People have seen it. Saying that you haven't proves nothing.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
No offense intended
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »
Quote from: "Xargo"

I was responding to this:
some people have better sight than others. i can't see the curvature of the earth from an airplane, but whose to say someone else can't?

It's a logical consequence of the nature of the area.

People see what they expect to see.

-- Bob Hudson

?

B94

No offense intended
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 04:33:26 PM »
how come you can see a ships sails BEFORE the boat itself?

beast

No offense intended
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 06:18:08 PM »
Light travels faster through hot air (contrary to RE 'science') and obviously hot air rises.  Hence you can always see things that are high up more than you can see things that are low down.

No offense intended
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 07:13:59 PM »
Light travels faster through hot air (contrary to RE 'science') and obviously hot air rises.  Hence you can always see things that are high up more than you can see things that are low down.

atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
No offense intended
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 08:37:17 PM »
Light travels faster through hot air (contrary to RE 'science')

This is not true. RE science is quite aware that light travels faster through hot air than cold air, because hot air is less dense. This is the cause of mirages.
-David
E pur si muove!

No offense intended
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 08:40:17 PM »
Skeptical pwns.  Thank God my idiocy is backed up by someone who's done his homework.

"YEAH!  WHAT SKEPTICAL SAID!"

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
No offense intended
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 09:00:05 PM »
Quote from: "mbrooksay"
Thank God my idiocy is backed up by someone who's done his homework.

Not sure if that's a compliment, Skeptical...

-- Bob Hudson

No offense intended
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 02:41:58 AM »

I was responding to this:

Looking at the order in which you posted, I'd say you answered to my post. Whatever, at any case, I answered to YOUR post. What is your point, anyways? :p

It's a logical consequence of the nature of the area.

Logical assumption from your part, that is.

People see what they expect to see.

Heh.

beast

No offense intended
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 05:26:51 AM »
Quote from: "skeptical scientist"
Light travels faster through hot air (contrary to RE 'science')

This is not true. RE science is quite aware that light travels faster through hot air than cold air, because hot air is less dense. This is the cause of mirages.

Hmm, yes, but possible not to the same extent that I'm putting forward.

No offense intended
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 04:03:45 AM »
Not being a scientist, my questions were based in relative ignorance and innocence. I question everything. In that light, I found many of the replies from FE'ers to be pompous and insulting. Although I try hard never to come to any definitive conclusions about philosophical matters (because once you think you have the "right" answer, you have stopped thinking), I have come to a preliminary understanding (certainly subject to change): If this site is satirical, it is brilliant. If not, then it is more mental masturbation than almost anything else I've ever seen. Yes, yes--everything is a conspiracy, they're all out to trick you for some inexplicable reason, and you are Right.  As far as I can tell, in this universe everything contains some truth and some falsity (I'm not sure if "falsity" is a word, but there it is). The universe itself is a paradox, and all the semantic exersizes are just that. But, then again, I guess it doesn't matter. I mean, what else is there to do?  I came to this forum essentially for entertainment, and I got it. Thanks!

No offense intended
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 04:06:29 AM »
P.S. Wyoming doesn't exist.

No offense intended
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 04:11:00 AM »
Not sure why this posted twice. Sorry.

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 04:18:34 AM »
Quote from: "spotteddick"

Jesus Christ fractalhelix, seriously, please explain this mysterious force from space that enacts itself upon the Earth
As I said in my last post, I am not a scientist. My question referred to whatever force or circumstance that  exists which make the planet(s) the shape it is. Man, FE'ers come across as being arrogant!