Veganism

• 815 Replies
Re: Veganism
« Reply #570 on: May 01, 2016, 01:06:58 AM »
It is not news that a vegan diet has no adquate source of vitamin B12. That lack can be very dangerous, especially to children. Some other vitamins are also problematic, but can generally be acquired with a very careful diet. In that sense, Ghandi was right that at his time and using his methods, an adequate vegan diet was impossible. The question is, of course, if a vegan or close to vegan diet is still impossible using modern knowledge and foods. It certainly is hard and requires an understanding of the nutritional requirements of the body and the nutritional values of all kinds of food.

Symptom

• Bash The Fash
« Reply #571 on: May 01, 2016, 01:37:14 AM »
Dead animals are tasty. I just ate part of a reindeer, and it was very satisfying.
Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

« Reply #572 on: May 01, 2016, 01:58:34 AM »
I never said drinking alcohol can cure disease. I said it has slight health benefit, Asshole. Learn how to read. Still waiting for you to show me where those cities supposedly weren't.

« Reply #573 on: May 01, 2016, 09:53:05 AM »
Vegans taste better  ;)
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Symptom

• Bash The Fash
« Reply #574 on: May 03, 2016, 06:22:31 PM »
Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

« Reply #575 on: May 04, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »
Yaakov, why are you so angry at the vegan?

He doesn't like that they taste better.  ;)
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #576 on: May 04, 2016, 02:20:33 PM »
Grain fed vegans!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

FlatEarthDenial

• FE is anti-science.
« Reply #577 on: May 05, 2016, 01:33:49 AM »
That's a Lie.
But meh, I've come to expect no less from your lying disinfo-ass.
Why don't you look it up on Wikipedia?
"Gandhi also stated that he followed a fruitarian diet for five years but discontinued it due to pleurisy and pressure from his doctor."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi#Vegetarianism.2C_food.2C_and_animals
It is not news that a vegan diet has no adquate source of vitamin B12.
Well, keep in mind that around 30% of the population suffers from the vitamin B12 deficiency and that only 2% practices some form of a vegetarian diet (I don't know which percentage practices a vegan diet).
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2000/000802.htm
In that sense, Ghandi was right that at his time and using his methods, an adequate vegan diet was impossible.
Well, some soybean-fermented foods are allegedly a good source of the vitamin B12.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3062981/
Dead animals are tasty.
Tasty is a word you use to describe what you like to eat. So, you like eating animals. But do you think that animals you eat like to be killed for you to eat them?
I never said drinking alcohol can cure disease. I said it has slight health benefit, Asshole. Learn how to read.
Then everyone who says that alcohol in any dose causes irreversible brain and liver damage would have to be either brainwashed or a part of the conspiracy.
Still waiting for you to show me where those cities supposedly weren't.
Well, they couldn't be anywhere outside of the path of the Exodus, right?
A former Flat Earther.
This is my story, which I'd encourage every Flat Earther to read:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67051.0

AstronomyMaster

• Anti-NASA is anti-science.
« Reply #578 on: May 05, 2016, 02:38:23 AM »
This is a very entertaining thread, and is best summarized by FlatEarthDenial in:
If you don't want to debate with idiots, what the hell are you doing on this forum?!
I always knew FlatEarthDenial was a troll. I guarantee you he wasn't even a FE-er. He is still an idiot. How exactly did he think that trolling about being vegan and spreading pseudoscience is going to help animal rights? Seriously, dude, are you really going to use talking cows as an argument?
But, yeah, he is supposed to have a rational discussion with someone who advocates for the rebirth of the animal sacrifices. How can anyone today be so superstitious to believe that sacrificing animals does any good? How can you have a rational discussion with someone who denies that babies feel pain?
As for the moderate drinking, yes, it does have small health benefits, it reduces the risk of heart disease, it's just that the risks, especially for the young people, greatly outweigh the benefits.
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0735-1097(07)02007-4
And, whoever wins the debate, it doesn't matter because none of you experts in anything related to the field.
The burden of proof is defined relatively to the current scientific consensus, not relatively to the beliefs of the uneducated people like the Flat Earthers!

FlatEarthDenial

• FE is anti-science.
« Reply #579 on: May 05, 2016, 03:17:29 AM »
I guarantee you he wasn't even a FE-er.
I was. Well, some of the arguments they present appear sensical and even convincing until you analyze them. But, you are right, most of them, including ones I was presenting, immediately appear ridiculous.
He is still an idiot.
Hey, aren't you one with the bacon argument? Aren't you one who tries to debate FET in the threads about technology?
How exactly did he think that trolling about being vegan and spreading pseudoscience is going to help animal rights?
I just wasn't expecting that I will have to defend the animal rights. Nobody whom I know in real life is so strongly against animal rights. Except that they believe that somehow animal rights can be fulfilled despite us eating meat. When people on this forum denied that animals should have rights, I was just writing down the rhetorics that first came into my mind. I didn't expect to have such discussions. As for pseudoscience, look, I don't have the knowledge needed to recognize the difference between science and pseudoscience when it comes to nutrition and, let's face it, nobody has.
Seriously, dude, are you really going to use talking cows as an argument?
Well, when I use that argument in real life, it shuts people up.
But, yeah, he is supposed to have a rational discussion with someone who advocates for the rebirth of the animal sacrifices. How can anyone today be so superstitious to believe that sacrificing animals does any good?
I don't know. How can some people think that terrorism does any good? How was I thinking that the Earth was flat? They have been convinced by some fallacious arguments and they don't show them for us to explain why they are wrong.
How can you have a rational discussion with someone who denies that babies feel pain?
Well, the funny thing is that doctors used to believe that all until recently.
As for the moderate drinking, yes, it does have small health benefits, it reduces the risk of heart disease, it's just that the risks, especially for the young people, greatly outweigh the benefits.
What's more likely: that it truly reduces the risk of you getting a heart disease or that it just reduces the probability of you living long enough to get a heart disease?
And, whoever wins the debate, it doesn't matter because none of you experts in anything related to the field.
You are right, having such debates is addictive. And I am unlikely to win the debate, I simply can't empathize with meat-eaters to even explain what they get wrong. What has to be in your head to voluntarily eat something someone has to be killed for you to eat?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:46:05 AM by FlatEarthDenial »
A former Flat Earther.
This is my story, which I'd encourage every Flat Earther to read:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67051.0

?

tappet

« Reply #580 on: May 05, 2016, 03:54:45 AM »

What's more likely: that it truly reduces the risk of you getting a heart disease or that it just reduces the probability of you living long enough to get a heart disease?

Let me guess, to protect from heart disease, eat fruit and veg, dont eat meat, dont smoke, dont drink and run a lot.
Anything you want to add to that nonsense?

AstronomyMaster

« Reply #581 on: May 05, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »

Let me guess, to protect from heart disease, eat fruit and veg, dont eat meat, dont smoke, dont drink and run a lot.
Both of you, see my signature.
The burden of proof is defined relatively to the current scientific consensus, not relatively to the beliefs of the uneducated people like the Flat Earthers!

« Reply #582 on: May 05, 2016, 09:35:45 AM »
I never said a baby felt no pain. I said it felt less than a pubescent teen or adult. As for the sacrifices, I don't have to defend that. It falls under religious practice. You don't like it, fuck you. What the fuck does the path of the Exodus have to do with the location of the Treasure Cities, Shit for Brains? WIKIPEDIA IS NOT A VALID SOURCE, SHIT FOR BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:46:19 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

?

tappet

« Reply #583 on: May 05, 2016, 01:32:22 PM »

I just read your sig, awesome. Did you come up with that by yourself?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #584 on: May 05, 2016, 02:41:55 PM »

I just read your sig, awesome. Did you come up with that by yourself?

I bet he had some help.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
« Reply #585 on: May 06, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »
As for the planted cameras, I give you the Planned Parenthood Defense when  hidden cameras caught them in criminal acts. "Out of context and carefully edited"

And how many of us have seen photos and videos that showed actions that because of the angle, lighting and other factors seemed to show things that were not actually taking place? All onc has to do look at their Face Book page to see at least a few everyday.

That is FES logic. Observations are always evidence and must be considered. You cannot assume doctoring without evidence - that way any observation could be dismissed.

AGW. Pure  bunk. Unless one believes there are humans on Mars driving SUVs. And Mars is not alone is warming. Pluto too was warming even as it was swing away from the sun. The moons of the Gas Giants are warming too.  It is unscientific and illogical to see all those planets and moons warming but believe only on Earth is it man's fault.

There is no obvious reason all planets would behave the same way. Your claim to that extend requires an argument. Are the warming trends equivalent? Do they point to the same source?

As I recall Mars was warming faster than us. The one thing they all share is their source of heat and light; the sun.

Yeah I know FE doesn't believe that. But, so far, FE hasn't proved their case, not a long shot.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

Round and Proud

« Reply #586 on: May 07, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
As for the planted cameras, I give you the Planned Parenthood Defense when  hidden cameras caught them in criminal acts. "Out of context and carefully edited"

And how many of us have seen photos and videos that showed actions that because of the angle, lighting and other factors seemed to show things that were not actually taking place? All onc has to do look at their Face Book page to see at least a few everyday.

That is FES logic. Observations are always evidence and must be considered. You cannot assume doctoring without evidence - that way any observation could be dismissed.

AGW. Pure  bunk. Unless one believes there are humans on Mars driving SUVs. And Mars is not alone is warming. Pluto too was warming even as it was swing away from the sun. The moons of the Gas Giants are warming too.  It is unscientific and illogical to see all those planets and moons warming but believe only on Earth is it man's fault.

There is no obvious reason all planets would behave the same way. Your claim to that extend requires an argument. Are the warming trends equivalent? Do they point to the same source?

As I recall Mars was warming faster than us. The one thing they all share is their source of heat and light; the sun.

Yeah I know FE doesn't believe that. But, so far, FE hasn't proved their case, not a long shot.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

AstronomyMaster

Round and Proud

« Reply #588 on: May 08, 2016, 05:38:14 AM »

« Reply #589 on: May 08, 2016, 06:21:38 AM »
https://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-other-planets-solar-system.htm

the first comment posted in response to blog article debunks the blog post very well

No it doesn't. The fact remains that there is no valid evidence for proper climate change on other planets, beyond what would normally be expected.

Round and Proud

« Reply #590 on: May 08, 2016, 06:24:39 AM »
https://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-other-planets-solar-system.htm

the first comment posted in response to blog article debunks the blog post very well

Which also applies to earth. No temperature change in 18 years.

No it doesn't. The fact remains that there is no valid evidence for proper climate change on other planets, beyond what would normally be expected.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #591 on: May 08, 2016, 08:07:48 AM »
You guys, Mars is flat too. There was once an entire society devoted to the flatness of Mars.

Round and Proud

« Reply #592 on: May 08, 2016, 08:09:42 AM »
You guys, Mars is flat too. There was once an entire society devoted to the flatness of Mars.

Mars is round, like all other planets.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #593 on: May 08, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »

Tell that to the Flat Mars Society  >:(

Round and Proud

« Reply #594 on: May 08, 2016, 08:17:05 AM »

Tell that to the Flat Mars Society  >:(

I wrote and entire story about a time traveler, doesn't make true. Though I did encounter one person that asked me a book sale if it was a How To. Kept a straight face and told him it was pure Sci-fi. RBSC, but his money was good.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #595 on: May 08, 2016, 08:20:34 AM »
Are the Martians vegetarians?

Round and Proud

« Reply #596 on: May 08, 2016, 08:23:24 AM »
Are the Martians vegetarians?

IF they exist, they are bacteria and omnivores

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #597 on: May 08, 2016, 08:24:56 AM »
Maybe some of them are vegan.

Round and Proud

« Reply #598 on: May 08, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »

Single celled plants on a planet with no liquid surface water?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #599 on: May 08, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »

Single celled plants on a planet with no liquid surface water?

Cannibal vegans! The most annoying life forms on Mars, IMO!