GPS wouldn't work if the earth was flat.

• 55 Replies
GPS wouldn't work if the earth was flat.
« on: February 10, 2016, 04:04:21 AM »
The GPS works by having transmitters send out their coordinates and time, the time is used to work out the distance from the transmitter, and trigonometry is used along with the data from a few transmitters to find your location.
The problem is that the coordinates used don't work on a FE (longitude, latitude and height don't fit with a flat earth), so any gsp device shouldn't work, as they are based of math for a sphere.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Re: GPS wouldn't work if the earth was flat.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 04:24:39 AM »
GPS does not require satellites.

(To save Engy the time).
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 05:04:29 AM »
The GPS works by having transmitters send out their coordinates and time, the time is used to work out the distance from the transmitter, and trigonometry is used along with the data from a few transmitters to find your location.
The problem is that the coordinates used don't work on a FE (longitude, latitude and height don't fit with a flat earth), so any gsp device shouldn't work, as they are based of math for a sphere.

I hate to break it to you,  but provided the transmitters send their true location,  then the GPS system will work,   there are plenty of DGPS systems out there that do just that.

What we do know for sure is that the majority of GPS transmitters,  are about 22,000 km away in orbit. 

There will be a little pixie skipping along shortly,  whistling, and saying things like,  see the sky is blue,  "I was right"  oh look the sun is shining "I was right again",  and I'm a rocket engineer,  "LOL I was right again".    He should get a t-shirt printed with "I was right"....   maybe paired up with a Captain Obvious baseball cap.

Here are some actual distances to transmitters from a particular receiver.

Units are meters,    so typically the transmitters are 20,000 km away.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:38:24 AM by Rayzor »
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 05:55:21 AM »

I hate to break it to you,  but provided the transmitters send their true location,  then the GPS system will work,   there are plenty of DGPS systems out there that do just that.

DPGS systems work with satellite data.  But yeah, there are ground based positioning systems - however they cannot calculate altitude, which the GPS does.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Yendor

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »

DPGS systems work with satellite data.  But yeah, there are ground based positioning systems - however they cannot calculate altitude, which the GPS does.

Have you ever heard of Altimeter Sensors - MEMS

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 04:00:08 PM »

Nice chips,  I use the accelerometer MEMS in an instrument I manufacture.  But that has nothing to do with the topic under discussion.   

The DGPS ground based GPS transmitters,  are mostly used for things like precision farming applications, where sub centimeter accuracy is required for seeding etc.  But they still use the satellite systems as the baseline to which the differential is added. 

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »

(To save Engy the time).
I never said it did in my post, it does use maths that only works when the earth is round though.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 12:29:20 AM »

(To save Engy the time).
I never said it did in my post, it does use maths that only works when the earth is round though.

A fact that's never addressed, to repeat the fact the locating process itself doesn't require satellites.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 08:15:35 AM »
Amazing how often this bullshit gets repeated, and there's still never any justification beyond the tenuous. At this point I'm just waiting for Inquisitive to butt in as he inevitably does and repeat the same whinging that's been answered likely hundreds of times by this point, and flee before justifying a single point.

It's easy to simulate a point: just as it's easy to construct a system based on localized planes, and how there's no real difference between a plane and a sphere on the scale people would use GPS on, and how human intervention would do away with error. Have you ever used a satnav? They're hardly perfect.

Because guess what? Satellites receive signals in a straight line. They don't know how far away that object is, so that distance has to be given in the signal. So have a transmitter that gives an offset distance, and look at that.
Angle and distance, that's all GPS relies on, and both can be simulated without satellites. Simulated points, that's all. Illusory satellites constructed of lower transmitters.
http://fet.wikia.com
dualearththeory.proboards.com/
On the sister site if you want to talk.

Yendor

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 08:37:08 AM »

Nice chips,  I use the accelerometer MEMS in an instrument I manufacture.  But that has nothing to do with the topic under discussion.   

The DGPS ground based GPS transmitters,  are mostly used for things like precision farming applications, where sub centimeter accuracy is required for seeding etc.  But they still use the satellite systems as the baseline to which the differential is added.

I used an accelerometer for a rifle shot counter once.

I'm not a farmer, so I know little about using GPS for that purpose. However, I do know that the  WMM, World Magnetic Model, is used for many things that seems to me could mimic what GPS is supposed to be doing.

The World Magnetic Model - Uses

Navigation

Compasses have been used for several thousand years to determine direction. They point in the direction of magnetic force at the user’s location, and the direction it points is, more often than not, in a different direction than geographic north (toward the North Pole), a more precise direction is achieved by knowing the angle between them (magnetic declination). However, declination changes with location and time, and a geomagnetic model is often used to correct for it. Since the changes in geomagnetic fields are difficult to predict, timely model updates (every 5 years for the WMM) are required for navigational accuracy. The WMM satisfies all these criteria and is therefore widely used in navigation. Examples include, but are not limited to, ships, aircraft and submarines. Magnetometer based attitude (roll and pitch) control is commonly used in aircraft and satellites.

GPS

Why do we need magnetic navigation when Global Position System (GPS) is readily available? GPS provides precise point location but only measures travel direction when in constant motion. A GPS receiver must collect several sets of latitude and longitude pairs to obtain direction. In addition, GPS signals may become blocked due to obstructions, adverse terrestrial and space weather, ionospheric conditions or being underwater or underground. Hence, compasses complement GPS receivers to attain precise and immediate navigational headings for air, ground, and water-based systems. Electronic compasses and the WMM commonly co-exist in GPS receivers.

Antennas and Solar Panels

Antennas (e.g. satellite dish television) and solar panels often need to be precisely oriented for maximum performance. The WMM’s declination information for specific locations is often employed by companies to orient their products correctly.

Consumer Electronics

While the traditional use of the WMM is for navigation, it is now acquiring new utilities in consumer electronic devices with built-in digital compasses. Many of the new generations of smart phones and digital cameras take advantage of the WMM to estimate bearing. The availability of low-cost, small, and energy efficient electronic compasses allow for magnetic direction in portable electronics to be common place. This new user group will significantly increase the demand for WMM models in the near future. NGDC has developed an application called CrowdMag that allows users to collect their own magnetic field data using the magnetometers in their phone. This app sends data anonymously back to NOAA so it can be used to help validate and expand future magnetic models.

Mineral Exploration

Airborne and marine magnetic surveys are used by oil and mineral exploration companies to detect magnetic signals from the Earth’s crust. These small amplitude signals (typically 100s of nT), must be separated from the large main magnetic field (typically 20,000 to 60,000 nT). Geomagnetic models are used by companies to extract these small magnetic signals from the survey records. A new application is the use of geomagnetic models for directional drilling. Oil wells are often drilled horizontally from a conveniently located platform. An electronic compass located behind the drill head (bit) provides the engineers with accurate orientation of the bit.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »
Amazing how often this bullshit gets repeated, and there's still never any justification beyond the tenuous. At this point I'm just waiting for Inquisitive to butt in as he inevitably does and repeat the same whinging that's been answered likely hundreds of times by this point, and flee before justifying a single point.

It's easy to simulate a point: just as it's easy to construct a system based on localized planes, and how there's no real difference between a plane and a sphere on the scale people would use GPS on, and how human intervention would do away with error. Have you ever used a satnav? They're hardly perfect.

Because guess what? Satellites receive signals in a straight line. They don't know how far away that object is, so that distance has to be given in the signal. So have a transmitter that gives an offset distance, and look at that.
Angle and distance, that's all GPS relies on, and both can be simulated without satellites. Simulated points, that's all. Illusory satellites constructed of lower transmitters.
Professional GPS used for surveying etc. is very accurate.
Why would a transmitter give an offset distance, do you mean position?  An offset of 22,000 miles?

How do we get the coverage we get without satellites?

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 09:07:28 AM »
And there we are. Still no actual explanation or justification.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 09:21:32 AM »

A GPS transmitter sends out its location and time,and the place the coordinates are offset from is the same for all transmitters (the offset is based of the center of the planet).
If you have the equipment to see the data being sent by the gps transmitters, you would see that the coordinates of the transmitters don't fit on a plane, because they are long, lat, height coordinates, the calculations done to find your location from the transmitters works with the coordinates being long, lat, height.
Also the coordinates found from the calculations are long, lat, height, so they wouldn't mean anything if the earth was flat.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:29:53 AM by Empirical »

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:59 AM »

A GPS transmitter sends out its location and time,and the place the coordinates are offset from is the same for all transmitters (the offset is based of the center of the planet).
If you have the equipment to see the data being sent by the gps transmitters, you would see that the coordinates of the transmitters don't fit on a plane, because they are long, lat, height coordinates.
You do realize an offset from the center of the planet could be anything in a straight line? the point of the offset is that the device doesn't receive the signal as emitted by the satellite, the instant it's transmitted: it receives an offset signal, and calculates based on that. A child could see that a lower down object could simulate a higher up object just by re-adjusting the signal.

And that's not how it works. How can a satellite transmit to every GPS? The processing requirements would be observe. It's the opposite: a gps device interprets a far simpler signal. It models as a sphere, but that doesn't matter because it relies on local surroundings that wouldn't have meaningful curvature even on a round earth and if you've ever used a satnav you'd see it readjusts constantly.

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 09:41:39 AM »
The transmitter sends out its coordinate and time, and the amount of time the signal takes is used to calculate the distance, why would this causes the transmitter to use a lot of processing, the communication isn't two way.
And the offsets of the satellites clearly fit with a sphere, given that they use long, lat, height coordinates. If you doubt this, get a receiver that can tell you the coordinates of the satellites, and calculate your position by hand (assuming that they are coordinatinates on a sphere), and you will see that the long lat coordinate you get is the same as you coordinates on google maps.

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »

If you have the equipment to see the data being sent by the gps transmitters, you would see that the coordinates of the transmitters don't fit on a plane, because they are long, lat, height coordinates.
You do realize an offset from the center of the planet could be anything in a straight line? the point of the offset is that the device doesn't receive the signal as emitted by the satellite, the instant it's transmitted: it receives an offset signal, and calculates based on that. A child could see that a lower down object could simulate a higher up object just by re-adjusting the signal.

And that's not how it works. How can a satellite transmit to every GPS? The processing requirements would be observe. It's the opposite: a gps device interprets a far simpler signal. It models as a sphere, but that doesn't matter because it relies on local surroundings that wouldn't have meaningful curvature even on a round earth and if you've ever used a satnav you'd see it readjusts constantly.
What do you mean by an offset, not transmitting its actual position? Why would you design a system to do that?  If they all transmit the wrong position the location cant be calculated as the transmission times will be wrong.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 09:44:27 AM »
All coordinates are relative so they are offset from something. There is no such things as an absolute coordinate.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
Inquisitive, Get a life and stop wasting my time. When you have a coherent argument then make a post, otherwise fuck off, I am sick of addressing your bullshit only to have you completely ignore every word and whine and whine as you literally just have.

You seem to be inexplicably claiming a satellite transmits its position directly, which it cannot do without knowing where the receiver is. It transmits a signal and the receiver calculates the rest. The transmitter isn't transmitting the 'wrong position' because it doesn't transmit any position at all. Incoherent as ever. Simulated points you ignorant, illiterate penguin. STOP WASTING MY TIME. I AM BACK FOR HALF A FUCKING HOUR AND YOU'RE MAKING ME REPEAT THE SAME BULLSHIT YOU HAVE ALREADY PROVEN TO BE COMPLETELY INCAPABLE OF REFUTING.

Empirical, do you want a fucking round of applause? Well done for grasping the most basic principle.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 09:58:35 AM »
The transmitter knows nothing about the receiver, it's a one way communication.
I don't see why the transmitter needs to know the receivers position to know it's own. Moving the receiver doesn't change the position of the transmitter.

The transmitters know their location relative to a fixed point (this point is the same for all devices in the system), they are constantly sending out this location along with the current time, when a receiver picks up a signal, they compare the current time with the time of the signal to work out how long it has been traveling, and hence the transmitters distance. The same is done with a few other transmitters, and since the receiver knows it's distance to 4 other points, triangulation can be done.
Also I made a small mistake earlier, gps uses 3D Cartesian coordinates, not lat long height.

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »
Inquisitive, Get a life and stop wasting my time. When you have a coherent argument then make a post, otherwise fuck off, I am sick of addressing your bullshit only to have you completely ignore every word and whine and whine as you literally just have.

You seem to be inexplicably claiming a satellite transmits its position directly, which it cannot do without knowing where the receiver is. It transmits a signal and the receiver calculates the rest. The transmitter isn't transmitting the 'wrong position' because it doesn't transmit any position at all.

Empirical, do you want a fucking round of applause? Well done for grasping the most basic principle.
As EM says, the transmitter knows where it is and transmits that.  How else could a receiver calculate its own position?

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 10:25:22 AM »
I don't see why the transmitter needs to know the receivers position to know it's own. Moving the receiver doesn't change the position of the transmitter.

The transmitters know their location relative to a fixed point (this point is the same for all devices in the system), they are constantly sending out this location along with the current time, when a receiver picks up a signal, they compare the current time with the time of the signal to work out how long it has been traveling, and hence the transmitters distance. The same is done with a few other transmitters, and since the receiver knows it's distance to 4 other points, triangulation can be done.
Also I made a small mistake earlier, gps uses 3D Cartesian coordinates, not lat long height.

Well done, that is exactly what I have been saying. Do you feel able to address a word or are you just going to keep on wasting time?

Inquisitive, fuck off, you're wasting time as ever. I'm sick of needing to repeat myself.

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 11:08:42 AM »

Well done, that is exactly what I have been saying. Do you feel able to address a word or are you just going to keep on wasting time?
I thought you thought that the satellite doesn't transmit it's location?

You seem to be inexplicably claiming a satellite transmits its position directly, which it cannot do without knowing where the receiver is. It transmits a signal and the receiver calculates the rest. The transmitter isn't transmitting the 'wrong position' because it doesn't transmit any position at all.
I'm guessing that by "it doesn't transmit any position at all" you mean that the satellite doesn't transmit the location of the receiver. I orginally thought you meant that "the transmiter doesn't transmit it's own location".

I think that's cleared up now. So my point is that the transmitter sends out it's own location, and this location has to be correct for the GPS to work. If you have a gps receiver that tells you the position of the satallites that it's receiving from, you will see that the postion of the satallites aren't close to being in a plane.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 11:26:01 AM »

You seem to be inexplicably claiming a satellite transmits its position directly, which it cannot do without knowing where the receiver is. It transmits a signal and the receiver calculates the rest. The transmitter isn't transmitting the 'wrong position' because it doesn't transmit any position at all. Incoherent as ever. Simulated points you ignorant, illiterate penguin. STOP WASTING MY TIME. I AM BACK FOR HALF A FUCKING HOUR AND YOU'RE MAKING ME REPEAT THE SAME BULLSHIT YOU HAVE ALREADY PROVEN TO BE COMPLETELY INCAPABLE OF REFUTING.

He's back for an hour and already about to blow a gasket. I love you JRowe.

If you want to stop repeating yourself then stop repeating yourself. Instead try to provide a coherent argument.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »
If my argument is not coherent, SAY WHY FOR ONCE

Transmitters DO NOT SEND OUT THEIR LOCATION. YOU ADMITTED AS MUCH YOU LYING penguin.
They send out a signal, from which the receiver can calculate that transmitter's distance. THAT IS ALL. A lower down transmitter need only offset the signal, and it can simulate a transmitter from higher up. As I have already said multiple times, and as you've already shown you're incapable of addressing.

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »

Transmitters DO NOT SEND OUT THEIR LOCATION. YOU ADMITTED AS MUCH YOU LYING penguin.
They send out a signal, from which the receiver can calculate that transmitter's distance. THAT IS ALL. A lower down transmitter need only offset the signal, and it can simulate a transmitter from higher up. As I have already said multiple times, and as you've already shown you're incapable of addressing.
What is in the signal to determine distance?  Please explain what you mean by offset.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 02:23:39 PM »

What is in the signal to determine distance?  Please explain what you mean by offset.

FUCK. OFF.
I AM SICK OF YOUR TIMEWASTING YOU MISERABLE penguin. I HAVE TOLD YOU TO FUCK OFF BEFORE. NOW YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND YOUR OWN FUCKING SYSTEM

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN REPEATING MYSELF TO AN IGNORANT penguin WHO REFUSES TO READ OR ADDRESS A SINGLE POINT. FUCK OFF

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 02:26:42 PM »
GPS operation is well documented and understood.  No reason to doubt it.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
FUCK. OFF.
I AM SICK OF YOUR TIMEWASTING YOU MISERABLE penguin. I HAVE TOLD YOU TO FUCK OFF BEFORE. NOW YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND YOUR OWN FUCKING SYSTEM

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN REPEATING MYSELF TO AN IGNORANT penguin WHO REFUSES TO READ OR ADDRESS A SINGLE POINT. FUCK OFF

If all you have to offer is more smug whinging and a complete lack of any actual response, FUCK OFF. YOUR BULLSHIT AND TIME WASTING ARE NOT WANTED.

Moosedrool

• Ice Wall Guardian
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »
FUCK. OFF.

If all you have to offer is more smug whinging and a complete lack of any actual response, FUCK OFF. YOUR BULLSHIT AND TIME WASTING ARE NOT WANTED.

So you're talking to yourself now?

FUCK. OFF.

Lol.

The transmitters somehow have to know each device's location to offset the signal for each GPS device JRoweSkeptic. That is the distance used for detecting how far you are from the transmitter. It's impossible to fake unless you have each devices location to offset accordingly.

Awaits JRoweSkeptic to lose it completely.  :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:35:49 PM by Moosedrool »
I'm not trying to disprove gravity. I've succeeded in disproving it. It's called denpressure.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 02:36:17 PM »
Lol.

The transmitters somehow have to know each device's location to offset the signal for each GPS device JRoweSkeptic. That is the distance used for detecting how far you are from the transmitter. It's impossible to fake unless you have each devices location to offset accordingly.

Awaits JRoweSkeptic to lose it completely.  :)

What the fuck are you talking about?!

THE ONLY REASON I GET ANGRY IS COLOSSAL penguinS LIKE YOU INCAPABLE OF AN HONEST ARGUMENT AND SO OUTRIGHT LYING

WHY THE FUCK WOULD A TRANSMITTER LOWER DOWN NEED TO KNOW THE LOCATION OF THE RECEIVER ANY MORE THAN A TRANSMITTER HIGHER UP?! Complete fucking idiot.