Full Moon and other phases questions

• 82 Replies
Full Moon and other phases questions
« on: February 09, 2016, 12:50:15 AM »
When one observes the phases of the moon he sees the moon's day and night, a shadow from the sun illuminating half of the spherical moon at any one time.

The lunar phases vary cyclically according to the changing geometry of the Moon and Sun, which are constantly wobbling up and down and exchange altitudes as they rotate around the North Pole.
When the moon and sun are at the same altitude one half of the lunar surface is illuminated and pointing towards the sun, This is called the First Quarter Moon. When the observer looks up he will see a shadow cutting the moon in half. The boundary between the illuminated and unilluminated hemispheres is called the terminator.
When the moon is below the sun's altitude the moon is dark and a New Moon occurs.
When the moon is above the altitude of the sun the moon is fully lit and a Full Moon occurs.
This description is highly inaccurate.

Where is the Sun when the Full Moon is visible almost directly above the observer? We can set 15 degrees offset from the zenith.

Q: Why does the moon and the phases look the same to everyone one earth regardless of where they are?
A: It doesn't. The phase you see varies depending on your location on earth. In FET this is explained by the different observers standing on either side of the moon. On one side it is right-side up, and on the other side it is upside down.

Imagine a green arrow suspended horizontally above your head pointing to the North. Standing 50 feet to the South of the arrow it is pointing "downwards" towards the Northern horizon. Standing 50 feet to the North of the arrow, looking back at it, it points "upwards" above your head to the North. The arrow flip-flops, pointing down or away from the horizon depending on which side you stand.
The answer makes no sense. One one hand it says that there are different phases based on the location, but on the other hand, it doesn't justify nor answer why would they vary. The answer focuses more on rotation of the Moon rather than phases. One can say that 1st quote describes phases, but... The phase is basically the same across the Earth. So what kind of wizardy makes visible phases the in FE "model"?
Also, how a Moon can maintain its phase (up to very small variation) druing the night?

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: Full Moon and other phases questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »
There seem to be various descriptions of the Full Moon and other phases from various flat earthers.
Some flat earthers say the moon is self-illuminated and is not illuminated by light from the sun.
They have a different explanation of what causes the Full Moon and other phases questions.
I'll leave it with that to see if the flat earthers wish to go further to explain the phases of the moon.
I could explain what I have read about the subject at hand on this website, but it would be better if the answer came first hand from a flat earther instead of hear-say evidence from a round earther, so it's their turn at bat.

Eclipses of both the moon and the sun is another interesting subject of flat earth lore.

Also there is a bit of disagreement as to the size and distance from the earth to the moon.
Flat earthers say the moon is much smaller and much closer to the earth than astronomical observatories and amateur radio operators who have measured the distances and size of the moon with laser beams and radio beams and found the distances and sizes are much larger than the flat earth measurements. This was covered on a previous thread quite some time ago.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:01:32 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »
I don't really care what "model" of FE one picks. I just read wiki and found out that the description doesn't make any sense and I am looking for clarification.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 11:47:24 PM »
Apparently once asked troubling question, denial wins.

FET is retarded.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »
Maybe people don't like to bother answering stupid questions from stupid people?  :-\

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 01:57:50 AM »
Bumping becaue I don't want to start a new thread with basically the same question.

Just a short reminder - OP questions are not answered yet. I'm still looking for a valuable reply.

Further problem is how can you even see the same face of the moon during the night? In FE model it requires the Moon to rotate in such a way it would face to you with the same side for the whole night.  So how is that actually working?

Simple questions in FAQ. Looking for some answers.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 03:38:53 AM »
Bumping becaue I don't want to start a new thread with basically the same question.

Just a short reminder - OP questions are not answered yet. I'm still looking for a valuable reply.

Further problem is how can you even see the same face of the moon during the night? In FE model it requires the Moon to rotate in such a way it would face to you with the same side for the whole night.  So how is that actually working?

Simple questions in FAQ. Looking for some answers.
I tried a similar thread in How does a Full Moon appear Full for everyone? and did not get far.

You did see jroa's comment:
Maybe people don't like to bother answering stupid questions from stupid people?  :-\
In other words he hasn't a clue either.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 07:03:11 AM »
You did see jroa's comment:
In other words he hasn't a clue either.
And he or other FEers expect respect, when they show no respect to other people.

One could argue why we both use spherical Moon, but this is what observations prove. Flat Moon would solve few issues, but it would be physically impossible.

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 05:16:51 AM »
One could argue why we both use spherical Moon, but this is what observations prove. Flat Moon would solve few issues, but it would be physically impossible.
I wouldn't place much hope in the "physically impossible" argument here, FE itself is already physically impossible and that's not stopping anyone.  The best illustration of the spherical moon: libration

onebigmonkey

• You. Yes you. Stand still laddie.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 05:37:14 AM »
Anyone who has seen the moon through even a half decent telescope has seen with their own eyes that it is not flat.
Facts won't do what I want them to.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 09:12:45 AM »
I wouldn't place much hope in the "physically impossible" argument here, FE itself is already physically impossible and that's not stopping anyone.  The best illustration of the spherical moon: libration
[libration gif]
Regardless of its possibility, it is always good to know what FE side has to offer.

Libration is just one of many things not touched/ignored by FE too. But let us just focus on simplier things for now.

chtwrone

• Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 03:50:43 AM »

The 'stupid people' on this website are the flat earth believers. After all, only a stupid person would actually believe that the moon isn't illuminated by the sun and reflecting its light. It's obvious, that the moon is reflecting sunlight - how can anybody be so stupid not to see this - it's a no-brainer.
Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again.

N30

• I can only show you the door.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 01:46:24 PM »
It's obvious, that the moon is reflecting sunlight - how can anybody be so stupid not to see this - it's a no-brainer.

If you said that to someone with no prior knowledge of "space", you would be laughed at.

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 02:15:12 PM »
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the lit side of the moon always faces the sun.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

N30

?

frenat

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 04:05:30 PM »
You mean like this?
What do you think you're trying to prove with an obvious fake and badly faked photo?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:42:26 PM by frenat »

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 05:41:32 PM »
Considering that image was originally uploaded to a site titled "hexrpg a literate fantasy" don't be so surprised when people call you out for your Shit.
Please give me ideas.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »
I fail to see how any of this is consistent with RET

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 05:58:37 PM »
Obviously, since you don't even understand the geometry of a round earth. Take geometry, then you might understand some of this basic conversations.
Please give me ideas.

narcberry

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 06:01:07 PM »
An elliptical spheroid? What does that have to do with what I said?

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 06:02:03 PM »
Nothing. Since you don't understand the implications of an elliptical spheroid.
Please give me ideas.

narcberry

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 06:09:33 PM »
What a compelling and informative response. Let me go ahead and log this in my, "unqualified statements" journal.

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 06:14:48 PM »
Yes. Please do.

Also, a circle's radius is increasing at 3m/s. How fast is the area increasing when the radius equals 10m?
Please give me ideas.

narcberry

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »
Yes. Please do.

Also, a circle's radius is increasing at 3m/s. How fast is the area increasing when the radius equals 10m?

I'm not going to do your math homework for you, get to your point.

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 09:21:35 PM »
You mean like this?
You're caught lying. Again.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 11:03:04 PM »

N30

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »
Am I to assume the sun is above the moon in the photo?

?

frenat

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »
How does yet another bad fake prove anything?  That isn't even a real phase of the Moon.

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 12:15:40 PM »
You've picked random image whose purpose is to be a wallpaper. These are usually highy edidet/enhanced.

How is your image spam relevant to the original question?

N30

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 12:19:16 PM »
Heres another taken in Australia