the old ball in the car trick

• 2 Replies
the old ball in the car trick
« on: February 08, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
Hey this is my first post here and everyone always brings up the well if you throw a ball straight up in the air in the car it will land in your hand no matter your speed,  well if the earth is round it is not travelling in a straight line at a constant speed it is rotating at a constant speed so they should say something more like in an enclosed spinning ride at the fair that is doing a constant speed,,  well we all know what happens there the puke ends up on the people following behind you.

if i throw a ball up in the air on the marrygo round or the ufo or any other ride it will not land back in my hand hence why no loose objects are allowed. 

Re: the old ball in the car trick
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 03:53:54 PM »
Hey this is my first post here and everyone always brings up the well if you throw a ball straight up in the air in the car it will land in your hand no matter your speed,  well if the earth is round it is not travelling in a straight line at a constant speed it is rotating at a constant speed so they should say something more like in an enclosed spinning ride at the fair that is doing a constant speed,,  well we all know what happens there the puke ends up on the people following behind you.

if i throw a ball up in the air on the marrygo round or the ufo or any other ride it will not land back in my hand hence why no loose objects are allowed.
Is the air moving with you on those rides, and how many rpm are those rides spinning compared to the rpm of a spinning spherical Earth?

Re: the old ball in the car trick
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 09:55:38 PM »

Greetings,
Because of the size of the earth being much greater than a person and any kind of viechal you can at most cases get a very good approximation of the actual result when referring to is as a flat surface rather then a round one.