The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

• 43 Replies

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 05:09:25 AM »
Is this "separation" on all suspension bridges, or just on the Verrazano?

That is the question that we have to ask?

The Golden Gate bridge is just shy of 2" further apart at the top of the towers, for one example.

Who measured that?

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »
Is this "separation" on all suspension bridges, or just on the Verrazano?

That is the question that we have to ask?

The Golden Gate bridge is just shy of 2" further apart at the top of the towers, for one example.

Age of the bridge and was it like this when it was built?
Is the bridge the same exact height and locations as when it was built, or did it sink to the ground over the years and loads.

Also citation for your claims...
To simply dismiss the concept of God as being unscientific is to violate the very objectivity of science itself.

My experiences with science led me to God.

The Truth Will Set You Free

Werner Von Braun

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 11:05:36 AM »
how about a citation for YOUR claims...
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Quote from: sceptimatic
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 11:06:49 AM »
how about a citation for YOUR claims...

Which claim, I have asked a few questions...
To simply dismiss the concept of God as being unscientific is to violate the very objectivity of science itself.

Werner Von Braun

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 11:28:02 AM »
The curvature of the earth may or may not be significant for bridges, but it is quite significant for 2 mile long linear particle accelerators.
Your microwave oven has a klystron inside, but SLAC has 250 of them, and they each pump roughly 65 megawatts of microwave radiation into the linear accelerator. The klystron gallery sits directly above the linear accelerator, which runs for about 2 miles in a perfectly straight line. When you look down the line of klystrons, the floor appears to slope upwards, but that's an optical illusion -- it's perfectly level. The eye is used to seeing the curvature of the earth at long distances, and because the floor doesn’t curve, your brain interprets that as an upward slope.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
4,265 feet tall and they vary 2" at the top. This couldn't possibly be human error?  Also what is the deflection of these towers?  Way more then 2" I assume. This doesn't prove anything.

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2017, 11:44:16 AM »
4,265 feet tall and they vary 2" at the top. This couldn't possibly be human error?  Also what is the deflection of these towers?  Way more then 2" I assume. This doesn't prove anything.
The two inches is the design location due to the towers being plumb.

The actual difference varies with load and temperature.

Mike
Since it costs 1.82˘ to produce a penny, putting in your 2˘ if really worth 3.64˘.

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 04:38:03 PM »

The two towers are straight up and down.  PERFECT PLUMB!  So explain how you can have two towers perfect plumb be different distances apart at the base vs the top on a flat earth.

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »

The two towers are straight up and down.  PERFECT PLUMB!  So explain how you can have two towers perfect plumb be different distances apart at the base vs the top on a flat earth.

Soil density. Heavy items usually settle over time.

Werner Von Braun

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 02:17:09 AM »

Which is why those heavy items go directly to bedrock...so they don't settle.  Basic engineering.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:42:25 AM by MicroBeta »
Since it costs 1.82˘ to produce a penny, putting in your 2˘ if really worth 3.64˘.

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 10:13:04 AM »
which is why they discovered the "Bends" when building the brooklyn bridge because the bedrock was sooooooo much deeper on the Brooklyn side of the river....

Jesus people, read a book...
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Quote from: sceptimatic
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2017, 04:22:02 PM »
4,265 feet tall and they vary 2" at the top.

4,256 feet tall?   :o

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 04:23:39 PM »
If there is one thing engineers know how to do, it is build bridges.

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »

Did you not understand what I wrote?  First, they build to bedrock so that that settling does no happen.  You know, so the bridge doesnt crumble from the settling.  SECOND:  THE TOWERS ARE STILL PLUMB (STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN) YET THEY DIFFER IN DISTANCE AT THE BASE VS THE TOP.