I have some questions

• 9 Replies
I have some questions
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:07:35 AM »
I have a list of questions that I can't find answers for amongst FE literature...

1: How (scientifically) could Earth have formed into a Disc shape with a convenient rim to hold the water in?

2: What's on the underside?

3: Why are mountain ranges a hundred miles away not visible to me?

4: Are you suggesting that all planets in the Solar system are Flat?

5: How are the planets illuminated if the sun is only 3000 miles above Earth?

6: What are Solar and Lunar eclipses?

I have more questions, but I'd like to start with these.

Thanks

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Re: I have some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
Typical answers:

1. The accelerator of the Earth pushed the rim up/the Earth is a dome formed by a process akin to inflation
2. No one knows
3. The atmosphere isn't perfect clear: there's haze preventing us from seeing a long distance
4. Not necessarily, the Earth is not like other planets
5. They produce their own light
6. http://wiki.tfes.org/The_Lunar_Eclipse

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
Typical answers:

1. The accelerator of the Earth pushed the rim up/the Earth is a dome formed by a process akin to inflation
2. No one knows
3. The atmosphere isn't perfect clear: there's haze preventing us from seeing a long distance
4. Not necessarily, the Earth is not like other planets
5. They produce their own light
6. http://wiki.theflatearthsociety.org/The_Lunar_Eclipse

Ok so I was hoping you would elaborate slightly more on the answers to 1 and 2... There is no description of how matter could coalesce in such a manner or a parallel drawn to anywhere else that this type of formation has been observed to have occurred.

As for the atmosphere and its "haze" obscuring our view of distant massive objects, I find that very unlikely. The atmosphere on earth is just not that thick! Also, if you look out to sea, you can see a horizon; a point where the sea stops sharply and the sky begins. You can see large boats on the horizon. If, as you are purporting, the atmosphere faded out view and that was the reason we could only see the sea so far, then it wouldn't have a sharp line...it would appear to fade into the distance.

4- Why is Earth not like other planets? Why, in all of the observable universe is our planet the only one that's flat? We know the other observable planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) are spherical as we can observe their changing light as the sun's light illuminates different degrees of the globes. They will be crescent, half or whole and in Saturn's case it's shadow is cast on it's rings.

This also means that it's not possible that they are producing their own light. The Suns affect on them is evident and observable! I've seen it with my own eyes with my telescope from my back garden.

It just doesn't add up or make any sense.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:36:12 PM by richaddis »

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:41:54 PM »
Ok so I was hoping you would elaborate slightly more on the answers to 1 and 2... There is no description of how matter could coalesce in such a manner or a parallel drawn to anywhere else that this type of formation has been observed to have occurred.
Well the constant upwards force on the Earth is said to accelerate it along, it would make some sense that the edges would be pushed up too, if it's thinner there. There are various models, it's hard to give a concise summary: some don't accept anything analogous to the situation you gave in your question.

As for the atmosphere and its "haze" obscuring our view of distant massive objects, I find that very unlikely. The atmosphere on earth is just not that thick! Also, if you look out to sea, you can see a horizon; a point where the sea stops sharply and the sky begins. You can see large boats on the horizon. If, as you are purporting, the atmosphere faded out view and that was the reason we could only see the sea so far, then it wouldn't have a sharp line...it would appear to fade into the distance.
Well the atmosphere does make distant objects appear hazy, so that much is true. Besides, even if the world were flat, you wouldn't see sea extending endlessly up the sky, there'd be a termination point.

4- Why is Earth not like other planets? Why, in all of the observable universe is our planet the only one that's flat? We know the other observable planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) are spherical as we can observe their changing light as the sun's light illuminates different degrees of the globes. They will be crescent, half or whole and in Saturn's case it's shadow is cast on it's rings.
Why do you look at the sky and conclude the Earth must be just like some random object you see there? I could use the same logic to conclude the Earth is a star. I'm a REer and that argument is terrible every time I see it.

This also means that it's not possible that they are producing their own light. The Suns affect on them is evident and observable! I've seen it with my own eyes with my telescope from my back garden.
Good luck convincing them of that.

Mind you, some do have the planets as closer to the Earth than the Sun.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »
Welcome to the trenches OP.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 04:58:50 PM »

I think that the thing I find most dumbfounding about this whole business is why 'flat-earthers' feel the need to question a perfectly sound scientific model!

It's almost as though they can't comprehend the size of a planet in order to understand why it's horizons appear flat. It's big guys - really big.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
I have a list of questions that I can't find answers for amongst FE literature...
1: How (scientifically) could Earth have formed into a Disc shape with a convenient rim to hold the water in?
2: What's on the underside?
3: Why are mountain ranges a hundred miles away not visible to me?
4: Are you suggesting that all planets in the Solar system are Flat?
5: How are the planets illuminated if the sun is only 3000 miles above Earth?
6: What are Solar and Lunar eclipses?

I have more questions, but I'd like to start with these.
Thanks
Don't expect a "Flat Earth" answer from Jane (or myself) - I can't add much.  Yes, we can say what they might say.  But, if the questions are "difficult" you might find there is not much response - one can only hope.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:47:15 PM »
Please stop spamming the threads with this.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »
Please stop spamming the threads with this.

That's my way of welcoming fellow RE new comers. I welcome the FEs too by saying "welcome to the forum". I'm not spamming.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
I think that the thing I find most dumbfounding about this whole business is why 'flat-earthers' feel the need to question a perfectly sound scientific model!

It's almost as though they can't comprehend the size of a planet in order to understand why it's horizons appear flat. It's big guys - really big.

If nobody ever questioned the establishment, we would never advance as a species.