Seafloor Spreading??

• 114 Replies
Seafloor Spreading??
« on: January 26, 2016, 08:50:04 PM »
I'm just failing to see if the FE theory disproves the existence of any dynamic crust of any sort.

And if so, is that not valid evidence that the earth is round, lying on the bottom of the ocean?

How were things like volcanoes possible? Active underwater vents?

If so is it just a single massive layer of crust thats some how moving without the force of gravity? or?

Please get back to me, I enjoy friendly discussions  :)

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: Seafloor Spreading??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:49:01 PM »
I don't understand why plate tectonics would not be possible on the FE.

Oh, and 'gravity' does not exist.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 10:00:33 PM »
I just don't understand how things would be moving around, how volcanoes and tectonics in general would be able to execute their normal cycle, if there's no force other than there mass ? If the Earth isn't spinning on the outside is it on the inside?

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
Good point and welcome to the trenches OP.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:59:22 PM »
Yea I was assuming I wouldn't get the answer I wanted.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:04:49 PM »
I just don't understand how things would be moving around, how volcanoes and tectonics in general would be able to execute their normal cycle, if there's no force other than there mass ?
What force are you referring to?

Yea I was assuming I wouldn't get the answer I wanted.
What answer do you want?

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:48:25 PM »
the convection cell pattern that the molten magma moves in would not work with a flat earth model.

and I'm looking for the answer as to how plate tectonics would work in a flat earth model.

Thank you

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 07:55:48 PM »
Why would it not work?  Saying it won't is not the same as explaining why it won't.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 07:58:36 PM »
Why would it not work?  Saying it won't is not the same as explaining why it won't.

On a flat earth the pieces will eventually fall off, why don't we see that if the earth is flat?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 08:02:28 PM »
Subduction.  That's how an 'ice wall' would have formed.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 08:11:25 PM »
Subduction.  That's how an 'ice wall' would have formed.

How do you know that?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »
Because...that's now they would stay on the FE.  Which is what you asked.   :-\

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 09:15:27 PM »
I don't understand why plate tectonics would not be possible on the FE.

Saying gravity does not exist, in your own words, is not proof.
Where is your proof that gravity does not exist?

The question is, how does it work without gravity on a flat earth?
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 09:25:47 PM »
Saying gravity does not exist, in your own words, is not proof.
Where is your proof that gravity does not exist?
Seeing as I can make it disappear by stepping off a ladder or jumping out of a plane pretty much shows that gravity is not real, but is a fictitious force.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:53 PM »

Of course a force, commonly called "gravity" exists. I can jump up and observe I am pulles down. Conservation of momentum tells me I should have kept moving up unless a force acted on me. So I can conclude there is a force.

You can debate what the cause of the force is, but you can't deny the observation itself.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 10:01:34 PM »
There is no force. When you jump, why are you weightless until you reach the ground?  Why is it that you only experience a force when you are in contact with the Earth (directly or otherwise)?

You could conclude that there is a force, but you would be wrong.

-- Bob Hudson

?

pax

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 10:23:03 PM »
Why is it that you only experience a force when you are in contact with the Earth (directly or otherwise)?

This isn't even remotely true. The fact that you come down after you jump, for instance...

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 10:38:25 PM »
Sorry, but it is absolutely true.  You only experience acceleration when you are in contact with the Earth (directly or otherwise).  When you jump, you become inertial (you enter a non accelerating frame of reference).  It's only after you reach the ground again that you are accelerated again.

-- Bob Hudson

?

pax

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 10:43:49 PM »
Sorry, but it is absolutely true.  You only experience acceleration when you are in contact with the Earth (directly or otherwise).  When you jump, you become inertial (you enter a non accelerating frame of reference).  It's only after you reach the ground again that you are accelerated again.

Play Devil's Advocate. How would you go about disproving your statement. If you had to. What's the weakness there?

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 10:52:06 PM »
There is no force. When you jump, why are you weightless until you reach the ground?  Why is it that you only experience a force when you are in contact with the Earth (directly or otherwise)?

How do you ever get back to the ground?

If
a.) I am weightless while in the air
And
b.) there is no force acting on me

I should float. But I don't.

Stand on a chair. Take a step forward. If you move and directon other than forward, you just observed a force acting on you.

?

pax

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 10:57:13 PM »

How do you ever get back to the ground?

If
a.) I am weightless while in the air
And
b.) there is no force acting on me

I should float. But I don't.

Stand on a chair. Take a step forward. If you move and directon other than forward, you just observed a force acting on you.

... which is a good thing, because the Earth would crash into helicopters and satellites otherwise. I think that the idea is that Earth is moving to "catch up" with people, they aren't actually falling. If that were true, helicopters would have to spin faster and faster as they slowed down relative to the Earth to keep an equilibrium, and satellites would simply be impossible. Which is unfortunate, because you can see many of them, unaided by even binoculars. 

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 11:05:59 PM »
When you are standing on the chair, you are being accelerated (force).  Once you step off, you become inertial (no longer accelerating, therefore, no force).  Once you get back onto the ground, you begin accelerating again (force). 

-- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 11:08:42 PM »
... which is a good thing, because the Earth would crash into helicopters and satellites otherwise.
The Earth crashes into these things all the time.

I think that the idea is that Earth is moving to "catch up" with people, they aren't actually falling.
The FE is accelerating at 9.8m/s^2, yes.

If that were true, helicopters would have to spin faster and faster as they slowed down relative to the Earth to keep an equilibrium,
What?  They would need a constant acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 to keep from running into the FE. 

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 11:23:16 PM »
When you are standing on the chair, you are being accelerated (force).  Once you step off, you become inertial (no longer accelerating, therefore, no force).  Once you get back onto the ground, you begin accelerating again (force).

That's just changing the frame of reference. The force is still constantly applied. You habe simply inverted all the values - but you still observe your upward momentum being canceled out - either a force pulls you down or it pushes everything up - but the force and ist's value is there

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 12:59:06 AM »

When I stand on a chair my velocity is zero and remains zero. Therefore I am not accelerating.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 07:22:23 AM »
You are not accelerating, huh?

Ok, let's do an experiment:  Stand on a scale.  If it reads zero, then you are correct and you are not accelerating.  If it reads anything other than zero (non-negative, for the Discount Chemist) then I am correct and you are accelerating.

Please perform this experiment; I will be eagerly awaiting the results!

-- Bob Hudson

?

j79

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 07:30:58 AM »
If it reads zero, then you are correct and you are not accelerating.  If it reads anything other than zero (non-negative, for the Discount Chemist) then I am correct and you are accelerating.

Or gravity is real  ;)

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 08:06:35 AM »
If it reads zero, then you are correct and you are not accelerating.  If it reads anything other than zero (non-negative, for the Discount Chemist) then I am correct and you are accelerating.

Or gravity is real  ;)

There is no or here. Gravity is the name of the force that accelerates you. It doesn't matter if you think you are pulled down or pushed up - a force is acting, and that force has a commonly accepted name: gravity. Saying gravity doesn't exist is either blatantly false or pointless semantics.

@TheEngineer: You know this. I saw other posts of you where you demonstrated knowledge of Special Relativity. So you are aware that all frames of reference are equal and that therefore insisting that the earth is moving up is completely irrelevant.

Whether or not you believe any specific theory of gravity is a completely different question.

?

j79

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 08:21:29 AM »
There is no or here. Gravity is the name of the force that accelerates you. It doesn't matter if you think you are pulled down or pushed up - a force is acting, and that force has a commonly accepted name: gravity

Do you know about the equivalence principle? We have that exactly because there is a difference between gravity pulling you down and being in an accelerated frame of reference with regards to the forces in play. The fact that we in certain circumstances cant distinguish between them, does not mean that they are the same.

When you floor the gaspedal in your car, is it gravity pulling you back in your seat?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:25:36 AM by j79 »

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 08:33:16 AM »

Or gravity is real  ;)

There is no or here. Gravity is the name of the force that accelerates you. It doesn't matter if you think you are pulled down or pushed up - a force is acting, and that force has a commonly accepted name: gravity. Saying gravity doesn't exist is either blatantly false or pointless semantics.

@TheEngineer: You know this. I saw other posts of you where you demonstrated knowledge of Special Relativity. So you are aware that all frames of reference are equal and that therefore insisting that the earth is moving up is completely irrelevant.

Whether or not you believe any specific theory of gravity is a completely different question.

Giving something a name, like gravity, does not make it a real thing.