Poll

Is Richard Dawkins Incompetent?  

Yes, he stubbornly clings to ideas, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary
No, he's a light in a dark world full of silly fools who believe their own eyes and in common sense!
I'm afraid to say one way or another, because I'm afraid of my own shadow
Yes, he is and he should be drawn and quartered
No, he is beyond common sense, he is mega-man!  

RICHARD DAWKINS IS INCOMPETENT and so are his devotees

• 72 Replies

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Re: RICHARD DAWKINS IS INCOMPETENT and so are his devotees
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 02:51:17 PM »
Your Islamophilia will not make you any more popular or successful. It just makes you more of an irrational cuck.
Very little of that makes sense. I've no particular love for Islam, any more than I do Christianity or any religion, I just prefer that if something is going to be claimed as evil or dangerous, there should be actual evidence. Radical, I know.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 03:40:36 PM »
I agree that he had a major role in starting the movement, and bringing atheism into the public eye, but it's rare for the founders of a movement to remain relevant.

True enough.

Why do you think that? The link I gave earlier went through several examples of such behaviour.

Because I found the instances in that article to be insufficient in showing him a misogynist.

It's quite easy to show that's not the case: because Islam had a beginning. The religion you're blaming and the attitudes therein had to come from somewhere. Obsession with female 'purity,' anger at rejection...
Besides, women have been outright murdered in the west by the exact same motives as the acid-throwers.

For going to school?

I actually have not seen him insult people too often.
Seems pretty insulting to me. Questioning someone's suitability for their job over a relatively minor aspect of their religion feels pretty insulting. [/quote]

I didn't say ever, I said not too often.

Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 12:45:09 AM »
True, but if some prominent religious person was being obnoxious, most people would excuse them just for their religiosity.
He makes the point that religion is not something that needs protecting, least of all from obnoxiousness.
I reckon he is simply passionate, maybe a little old and grumpy, but passionate nonetheless.
Some might, it doesn't happen too much in my experience. Plenty of people get called out on issues: more often that not it seems Dawkins is the one being defended on the basis of his belief whenever he goes too far. At best he's a hypocrite.
Passion's great, but it can go a bit too far.

Hypocritical in what way?

EDIT- Whoops, replied before reading more of thread. Silly me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:49:51 AM by Scroto Gaggins »
They are taking the hobbits to Isengard.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 02:19:41 AM »
Because I found the instances in that article to be insufficient in showing him a misogynist.
At the very least, such behaviour is hardly out-of-character when there are multiple examples.

For going to school?
Quite a specific answer, though again that's cultural. Many other motives for acid attacks are still problems in the west, and to be fair, in the US it was only the 70s when it became illegal for women to be excluded from education, and the 80s when men and women were educated similar amounts (according to a hasty google and wikipedia).
Besides, the issue more typically is women 'knowing their place' which motivates the attackers in those cases, and that's most definitely shared.

I didn't say ever, I said not too often.
I only brought up that situation because it was the specific case you said he didn't insult someone.
He doesn't insult with every word he says, but it is pretty common.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »
"Today the theory of evolution is about as much open to doubt as the theory that the earth goes round the sun."  ~ Richard Dawkins

Well, sorry to break it to you Richard, but The Earth doesn't go round The Sun.  The Sun travels across the face of the earth and evolution is about as silly as gravity.

I think I'm going to shoot myself.

Do it from a mile away;  then you'll know for sure wether the earth is flat or round!  ha ha
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:41:08 AM by Marciano »
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

It's not eight inches over the first mile;  it's eight inches over the first foot!   ;D

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 06:19:18 PM »
Nice Hegelian Dialectic False Dichotomy shill-circle-jerk you got going on here.

Fact is that Dawkins is a Children's Entertainer.

And you are the Children.

Well put!  lol
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:33:31 AM by Marciano »

It's not eight inches over the first mile;  it's eight inches over the first foot!   ;D

Kali

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2016, 02:22:51 AM »
It's not a 'who cares?' situation. He is right, in many cases, but that doesn't excuse both he other things he says, and the way he often says them.
I don't even like Dawkins but you can fuck right off with your tumblr woes. Being right is the perfect reason to be "mean". Dawkins insults the religious because they are stupid, and because they are wrong. This cuckolded nu-atheism femyn-ally nonsense you're preaching will not reward you with sex, but it does make you look like a jackass.

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2016, 07:31:35 AM »
It's not a 'who cares?' situation. He is right, in many cases, but that doesn't excuse both he other things he says, and the way he often says them.
I don't even like Dawkins but you can fuck right off with your tumblr woes. Being right is the perfect reason to be "mean". Dawkins insults the religious because they are stupid, and because they are wrong. This cuckolded nu-atheism femyn-ally nonsense you're preaching will not reward you with sex, but it does make you look like a jackass.

Geez, that's pretty fierce!

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2016, 07:40:26 AM »
But he says theory  he doesn't say fact. So his quote can mean that people are so indoctrinated into these theories that they are unable to think for themselves and have any doubts about it.

I don't think that's how he meant it.  I think he meant, people who believe in flat earth are similar to creationist, in that they are going against the flow of "science," because they are superstitious bigots, who stubbornly cling to silly/dangerous/malicious/incompetent ideas from darker times. 

Personally, I think he's got it backwards. 

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2016, 07:43:24 AM »
I don't really mind Dawkin's candor.  I sort of like that in an "enemy;"  it helps clarify things. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:45:31 AM by Marciano »

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2016, 08:15:06 PM »
But he says theory  he doesn't say fact. So his quote can mean that people are so indoctrinated into these theories that they are unable to think for themselves and have any doubts about it.

He usage of theory is not one of an idea that may or may not be true.  He is using the scientific definition of theory, which is a well substantiated explanation for a phenomenon or group of phenomena.  A scientific theory is composed of many facts in the form of evidence which supports the theory indirectly.
I heard you the first time, but yeah I guess you'r right.  :)

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2016, 08:21:49 PM »

I don't think that's how he meant it.  I think he meant, people who believe in flat earth are similar to creationist, in that they are going against the flow of "science," because they are superstitious bigots, who stubbornly cling to silly/dangerous/malicious/incompetent ideas from darker times. 

Personally, I think he's got it backwards.
   I was just saying   :)

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2016, 03:06:53 AM »
What.
So, this is the second time you've ranted at me and I'm still struggling to find any sense or reasoning or indeed anything that even relates to what I've been saying.

Free speech and all, he's perfectly allowed to be 'mean,' just as everyone else is allowed to call him on it. What I take issue with is hypocrisy and poor arguments delivered with arrogance.

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 11:28:38 AM »
Dawkins is a blithering idiot, & that is putting it very mildly. The entire atheist perspective is illogical in the extreme, but he's an asshole to boot. If a believing person were to criticise him or atheism in the public discourse the way he criticises believers, that person would be creamed by the Libtard media, @ least in the US. I can't speak for other countries, obviously.

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 07:36:01 PM »
Atheism is for biological machines !

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 05:07:32 AM »
Dawkins is a blithering idiot, & that is putting it very mildly. The entire atheist perspective is illogical in the extreme, but he's an asshole to boot. If a believing person were to criticise him or atheism in the public discourse the way he criticises believers, that person would be creamed by the Libtard media, @ least in the US. I can't speak for other countries, obviously.
Why is it illogical for absence of belief to be the default perspective?
There is no proof either way, really, for the existence of a god, so the default position should be one of atheism, should it not?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 06:48:59 AM »
There is no proof either way, really, for the existence of a god, so the default position should be one of atheism, should it not?
Given how discussions on whether or not there is evidence/proof of God typically go, it may be better to start a thread if you actually want to discuss that rather than overtake this one. Besides, it's pretty common knowledge that there are many supposed arguments/proofs for God.

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 04:09:24 PM »

I really don't think most atheists are so much a-theists, as they are monists (as opposed to dualists) or naturalists, that is, they don't believe in the supernatural world at all, but rather they only believe in the natural world. 

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 05:34:55 PM »

Yaakov thinks a syllogism is sufficient to show the existence of God.  If he can think that, you can expect a bunch of faulty reasoning to follow.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 12:21:36 AM »

Yaakov thinks a syllogism is sufficient to show the existence of God.  If he can think that, you can expect a bunch of faulty reasoning to follow.
To which syllogism are you particularly referring?
Or are you referring to his use of them as a whole?

Kali

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2016, 04:29:55 AM »
The thing about theism is that while there is a very limited logical basis for claiming that a god may exist, and a very tenuous and circumstantial basis for claiming that a god does exist, there is absolutely no logical basis for believing in the existence of a specific god.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2016, 05:24:48 AM »
The thing about theism is that while there is a very limited logical basis for claiming that a god may exist, and a very tenuous and circumstantial basis for claiming that a god does exist, there is absolutely no logical basis for believing in the existence of a specific god.
Good point there.

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
My objection isn't even so much to atheism per se, although I do find it illogical. My brother is agnostic. His wife is a screaming atheist. But Dawkins is an asshole about it. If he only followed the basic rules of civilised discourse, he wouldn't bother me. Like I said, if a theist was to publicly criticise him the way he does us, CNN & MSNBC would have a field day. Ultimately, what he believes is a personal issue. I would prefer he keep it that way, just as I get offended by Fundamentalists preaching their crap. He teaches crap just as they do. Its just different crap. Outside of boards like this, where the point IS to spout off, I keep my religious views to myself. I would like him to afford me the same courtesy. He doesn't. Ergo, he's an asshole.

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 06:43:15 PM »
To comment a bit further, many of you probably think you know my beliefs well. If asked, you would say, "He's a rather obnoxious Orthodox Jew". In that you would only be half right. Aside from the question of the syllogism being valid to prove G-d's existence, & I have yet to see a convincing argument that would prove otherwise (& yes, I DO have a BA in Philosophy w/ 1 of the courses required being Philosophy of G-d), there is a whole separate element to my religious life that I have NEVER discussed here, simply because everyone has been content to assume (IOW, to make an ASS out of U & ME) that my being a Jew is the sum total of my religious life. If anyone had bothered to ask, they would have found out that I'm also a Shintoist. Further questions would have led to finding out how I reconcile Judaism & Shintoism, & how one can BE Shinto & NOT Japanese. But no one ever asked.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2016, 10:10:26 PM »
My objection isn't even so much to atheism per se, although I do find it illogical. My brother is agnostic. His wife is a screaming atheist.

Thats a lie.  You frequently call atheists morons and have most likely called for them to be imprsioned.

But Dawkins is an asshole about it. If he only followed the basic rules of civilised discourse, he wouldn't bother me.

Pot meet kettle.

Like I said, if a theist was to publicly criticise him the way he does us, CNN & MSNBC would have a field day.

Maybe and FOX news would embrace it.  What does that have to do with it?

Ultimately, what he believes is a personal issue. I would prefer he keep it that way, just as I get offended by Fundamentalists preaching their crap. He teaches crap just as they do. Its just different crap. Outside of boards like this, where the point IS to spout off, I keep my religious views to myself. I would like him to afford me the same courtesy. He doesn't. Ergo, he's an asshole.

Oh well.  Welcome to America.  People can say and do what they want.

To comment a bit further, many of you probably think you know my beliefs well. If asked, you would say, "He's a rather obnoxious Orthodox Jew". In that you would only be half right. Aside from the question of the syllogism being valid to prove G-d's existence, & I have yet to see a convincing argument that would prove otherwise (& yes, I DO have a BA in Philosophy w/ 1 of the courses required being Philosophy of G-d), there is a whole separate element to my religious life that I have NEVER discussed here, simply because everyone has been content to assume (IOW, to make an ASS out of U & ME) that my being a Jew is the sum total of my religious life. If anyone had bothered to ask, they would have found out that I'm also a Shintoist. Further questions would have led to finding out how I reconcile Judaism & Shintoism, & how one can BE Shinto & NOT Japanese. But no one ever asked.

Maybe because no one cares about your Shinto secret.

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2016, 12:01:56 AM »
Sounds like someone has a personal problem. Personally, I do think both you and Dawkins should be shot, but not for being Atheist. It is NOT illegal to be stupid. As much as I wish it was, we're probably fortunate its not. If it WERE illegal to be stupid, 3/4 of the population would be in jail. I think you should be shot because you are crass and have no manners.

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2016, 01:09:39 AM »
Furthermore, your attitude about another person's spiritual life, your total lack of caring, represents the crassness of the Atheist Movement. Perhaps you are not interested, not due to the lack of merits of my "secret", as you pointedly put it, but because YOU are a self centered,egotistical pig.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2016, 03:30:06 AM »
To comment a bit further, many of you probably think you know my beliefs well. If asked, you would say, "He's a rather obnoxious Orthodox Jew". In that you would only be half right. Aside from the question of the syllogism being valid to prove G-d's existence, & I have yet to see a convincing argument that would prove otherwise (& yes, I DO have a BA in Philosophy w/ 1 of the courses required being Philosophy of G-d),
It's impossible to prove otherwise: God as an abstract is undefined, there's nothing to disprove. The impossible should not be required.
Assuming, for a moment, that the syllogism does not hold, then your position should be that God doesn't exist. It's impossible to disprove countless things, but so long as they're not proven people disbelieve by default.

Besides, it's often fairly easy to disprove certain concepts of God. The Christian, seeks-to-save-souls deity is easier because more traits are appended, meaning there's more room to find a flaw, but similar things can be done even with others. The issue is what traits that deity under question has. Such things need to be clearly defined for any kind of argument.
For example: benevolent, perfect, creator, exists in the real world. That deity can be disproven fairly easily. That wouldn't disprove God, because God is too abstract a term.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2016, 08:09:28 AM »
Sounds like someone has a personal problem. Personally, I do think both you and Dawkins should be shot, but not for being Atheist. It is NOT illegal to be stupid. As much as I wish it was, we're probably fortunate its not. If it WERE illegal to be stupid, 3/4 of the population would be in jail. I think you should be shot because you are crass and have no manners.

Nice.  You want to shoot me for being "crass"; if this does not stink of hypocrisy, then nothing does.

Furthermore, your attitude about another person's spiritual life, your total lack of caring, represents the crassness of the Atheist Movement. Perhaps you are not interested, not due to the lack of merits of my "secret", as you pointedly put it, but because YOU are a self centered,egotistical pig.

I never brought up your spiritual life.  You brought it up when you cried about no one asking you about Shintoism, as if they should probe you about your spiritual life for all the interesting answers they might get.  Unfortunately for you, this is not a group of people looking to learn about your inner life, that is all there is to it.  My specific attitude about your spiritual life is that it is yours and if it leads you to lead a fulfilling life, then bully for you.  I do not need to talk to you about it except as it shapes your moral life in the public realm; that is literally the only part I care about, because that part has an effect on the world at large.

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2016, 10:03:57 AM »
See, Rama Set, that is just where you present more of your own crass conduct. If you are going to sit there and whine about people who believe (which you do incessantly), it would behoove you to find out WHAT they believe. But you would rather put us all into an amorphous group.

That is the thing with most atheist types. They would would rather paint ALL believers as intolerant ignorami. The fact that Judaism and Shinto are 2 of the most tolerant religions on Earth does not register with the atheist mindset. In their mind, any religious person MUST be a dolt and intolerant. After all, it is this assumption that allows them to sleep at night and not think of the brutalities that atheism has visited upon people in the name of Militant Godlessness (to use the Russian term for it; they actually had an organisation named "the League of the Militant Godless" that went about destroying churches and killing priests and nuns and the like in the name of their Godlessness).

I of course don't dispute that some religions can be quite intolerant. But none have aproached the level of vicious intolerance displayed by atheism that lashes out and rages like a petulant child against anything that challenges it. The League of the Militant Godless was just one example. During the Chinese GPCR, "Destroying the Four Olds" was another. Under that rubric the Red Guards went into Tibet. In 1966 there were 6000 monasteries in the region. By 1976 there only 8 left. Say hello to Atheism, Class.

In Albania in 1967, the Socialist Republic was OFFICIALLY declared an Atheist State. No other country in the world has EVER gone that far. Attendence at, or participation in, any religious exercise was declared illegal. Ownership of a Bible or Qur'an became punishable by shooting.

So the question isn't about a person's individual right to believe or not to believe. The question is what non-believers do when they become the majority. As we have seen, the results have a high risk of being disastrous. This much is obvious.