The Curve of The Earth According To NASA's Own Dimensions of The Earth

• 102 Replies

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
  If you truly believe in a globe earth, then you have to account for approximately 4000 miles of drop, over approximately 6000 miles.  That equates to a drop of 8 inches per foot, not 8 inches per mile!  Unless I'm looking over the side of a cliff, I don't see that much drop and there aren't that many cliffs around, so it seems as if that drop doesn't exist.  However, if you can show me that it does, I'm all ears  ;D
Do you understand that we're talking about a sphere, (or at least a circle if a sphere is too much to grasp)?  Do you know what a circle is?  I don't believe you do.

Have you ever tried to stand on a circle?   ;D

pay special attention at minute 1:07

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

It's not eight inches over the first mile;  it's eight inches over the first foot!   ;D

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
Giant Beach Ball! 

It's not eight inches over the first mile;  it's eight inches over the first foot!   ;D

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
If The World was round, then Earth walking would be an extreme sport! 

Fortunately, going to the grocery store is not this difficult  ;)

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
So, I suppose scientists are lying when they say light can refract the other way?

Like in a rainbow?   ::) 

Rainbow in Kansas;  flat as a pancake! 

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
In regards to NASA's figures, NASA will tell you the earth is around 25,000 MILES in circumference and around 8,000 MILES in diameter. 

So, in that regard, I am using, "NASA'S OWN FIGURES."
I still cannot understand why you blame NASA for those figures! The circumference of the Globe has been known for many centuries.
An Islamic Astronomer/Mathematician/Geodetic Surveyor named Al-Biruni measured the circumference quite accurately way back around 1,000 AD.

Yeah I get it, round earth wasn't invented by NASA, yet we do rely on them for our current information   ::)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:02:07 AM by Marciano »

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!

...The surface of the Globe is spherical NOT a straight line from equator to poles.

The approximation horizon drop = 8" x miles2 only holds over a limited distance (though not bad for up to hundreds of miles), after that the curve starts to steepen till at the point 90° away from the start the slope is (guess what) 90°...

Here's what a ninety degree slope looks like!  :o

Thank God The Earth isn't round! 

?

frenat

Thank god down is toward the center and not some arbitrary direction outside the globe like you seem to think it is.  Are you trying to prove you're ignorant?

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
Re: The Curve of The Earth According To NASA's Own Dimensions of The Earth
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2016, 10:05:37 AM »
Thank god down is toward the center and not some arbitrary direction outside the globe like you seem to think it is.  Are you trying to prove you're ignorant?

You said, "...down is toward the center and not some arbitrary direction outside the globe..."  That's a unique objection.  I'll give you credit for that.  For me down is towards the earth or deeper into The Earth and it is the same for everybody, but for you down is towards the center of The Earth, so for you, one man's down is another man's up or even sideways!  That's Weird...

?

palmerito0

• Why does this forum exist?
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »
Deeper in to the earth = towards the center of the earth, dumbass.

Can you seriously not understand how spheres work? If you start from a random point on the surface and go towards the center you are going down in the most direct way possible.
Heiwa on the impossibility of space travel:

There are no toilets up there and sex is also a problem, just to mention a few difficulties.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

SpJunk

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2016, 10:11:57 PM »
You said, "...down is toward the center and not some arbitrary direction outside the globe..."  That's a unique objection.  I'll give you credit for that.  For me down is towards the earth or deeper into The Earth and it is the same for everybody, but for you down is towards the center of The Earth, so for you, one man's down is another man's up or even sideways!  That's Weird...

Unique?
Look at the Moon.
Full Moon, if it's easier for you.
See the left edge.
Standing there would make you feel gravity pull to the OUR right.
But YOUR right is not same as our.
Your down s where your weight pulls you, and where you put your legs, to hold your weight in place.
We see your head to the left, but you feel it up, opposite of your weight.

Now see the bottom edge.
Your mate stands there, his weight pull him OUR up.
HIS down is our up.

Another mate stands in the center.
His head is toward us, because he turned his legs to the center of Moon behind him.
OUR behind.
His down.

All three of you are pulled towards center of Moon.
All three of you feel center of Moon as down.
Each from different direction.
When one of them comes to you, his down rotates gradually as he gets closer and closer.
When he reaches you, your and his down are the same.

Now take your big beach ball there, put it between Moon's surface and you, and try to stand on it.
You will feel same type of disballance as here.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:17:26 PM by SpJunk »
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2016, 10:34:26 PM »

Unique?
Look at the Moon.
Full Moon, if it's easier for you.
See the left edge.
Standing there would make you feel gravity pull to the OUR right.
But YOUR right is not same as our.
Your down s where your weight pulls you, and where you put your legs, to hold your weight in place.
We see your head to the left, but you feel it up, opposite of your weight.

Now see the bottom edge.
Your mate stands there, his weight pull him OUR up.
HIS down is our up.

Another mate stands in the center.
His head is toward us, because he turned his legs to the center of Moon behind him.
OUR behind.
His down.

All three of you are pulled towards center of Moon.
All three of you feel center of Moon as down.
Each from different direction.
When one of them comes to you, his down rotates gradually as he gets closer and closer.
When he reaches you, your and his down are the same.

Now take your big beach ball there, put it between Moon's surface and you, and try to stand on it.
You will feel same type of disballance as here.

You won't get far with our friend Marciano!  Here is one of his posts:
There seems to be a lot of topics saying that a flat earth contradicts astronomy, but no one has tried making a working of the stars, or asking how they work.
So instead of saying stars can't work on your model. I want to ask you how do they work on your model. How do they move, do they increase in distance, how near do stars need to be for you to see them. How do you get around the SCP problem.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I mean after all, they're just lights in the sky.  How much can we expect to ever know about them?

In any case, you might like Zetetic Astronomy.  Zetetic means "seeker."  As in, seeker of truth. 

http://sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za30.htm
My underlining.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2016, 11:45:04 PM »
Marciano,

Gravity.

Seriously man at least try to understand the RE model, we try to understand the FE model.

Sorry got to go, blood rushing to my head standing upside down in Australia ;-).
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2016, 01:41:07 AM »
Marciano,

Gravity.

Seriously man at least try to understand the RE model, we try to understand the FE model.

Sorry got to go, blood rushing to my head standing upside down in Australia ;-).
;) ;) Haven't you learnt to walk on the ceiling yet, much less stressful!  ;) ;)

deadsirius

• Crime Machine
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2016, 02:15:07 PM »
Marciano, I'm curious.

Can you pretend for a moment that gravity works the way science says it does?  You don't have to believe it--just as a thought experiment, for the sake of argument, pretend for a second that gravity is not a one-way thing coming from a specific direction but that earth is round and gravity points towards the center of it from all directions.  Earth does not have a "top" or "bottom".

Given that assumption...would you agree that you can have a constant curve and that it would never get "steep" but would always remain a constant curve however far you travel around it?

And even if you drop that assumption and say the earth is flat...say there's a large stone sphere, radius 100m, sitting in a field and you're standing on top of it.  You do your same calculations to determine the "grade" of the curve, telling you that you should be dropping .64 m for every meter you walk forward.  Okay, so you step one meter from the top.  Did you drop 64cm?

Okay so very likely at some point if you keep walking there will be ONE time where you go forward one meter and drop exactly 64 cm.  After that you're going to start dropping more than that, until as you get closer to the "equator" you're going to be dropping several meters for each meter forward you go.

The grade you're calculating is an average of all those drops.  That's it!  (I'm not sure if "average" really is the right word here--someone who's more of a mathematician than I am will have to correct me.)

At any rate I'm just trying to determine if the fundamental difference we have here is the math or just the basic nature of gravity.  I think that would be better for discussion all around.
Suffering from a martyr complex...so you don't have to

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2016, 09:31:28 AM »
In regards to NASA's figures, NASA will tell you the earth is around 25,000 MILES in circumference and around 8,000 MILES in diameter. 

I still cannot understand why you blame NASA for those figures! The circumference of the Globe has been known for many centuries.
An Islamic Astronomer/Mathematician/Geodetic Surveyor named Al-Biruni measured the circumference quite accurately way back around 1,000 AD.

Yeah I get it, round earth wasn't invented by NASA, yet we do rely on them for our current information   ::)
You might, the rest of us don't.

SpJunk

« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »

You might, the rest of us don't.

On what we relied before 1958?

I trust THIS web site that tell me on Dec 1st Sun wil rise at azimuth of 117 degrees, and set at azimuth of 243 degrees.
(Both angles would be shown much more to the north on Flat Earth model.)

I have two reasons.
First, if it was inaccurate, people who live there would expose inacuracy long ago.
Second, I know someone who lives there: me.

(I can also trust them for data from, say, Johannesburg.
People ive there and know if the site is showing the truth.)

This is what it says:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:33:50 AM by SpJunk »
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2016, 03:26:31 PM »
8" per mile squared is inaccurate because it's an approximation but it's an ok approximation up to about 100 miles for non-exacting work.

It was DESIGNED for surveyors to estimate the angular drop expected due to curvature and since you can't see past about 100 miles it was ok.  Anyone who measures mountain peaks can tell you the Earth is curved.

But is IS wrong and I show why and by how much here:

http://flatearthinsanity.blogspot.com/2016/08/flat-earth-follies-how-to-derive-8-per.html

I show both the mathematical derivation of the equation (approximation based on Taylor series assuming 'd'/distance is small) and I happened to find the Britannica geometrical version actually quoted IN Rowbotham's Zetetic book which gives exactly the same result.

However, our OP friend is just excruciatingly and embarrassingly wrong about how slope calculations work and how curvature works.

I don't know what else to say except that CURVE is not a LINEAR function dude.  EVERY mile away you go is only an 8" 'drop' from where you ARE even though 4 miles away is 32"  -- because when you go that one mile you have ROTATED your tangent line also, which is from whence the 'drop' is measured.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2016, 08:20:31 PM »
8" per mile squared is inaccurate because it's an approximation but it's an ok approximation up to about 100 miles for non-exacting work.

It was DESIGNED for surveyors to estimate the angular drop expected due to curvature and since you can't see past about 100 miles it was ok.  Anyone who measures mountain peaks can tell you the Earth is curved.

But is IS wrong and I show why and by how much here:

http://flatearthinsanity.blogspot.com/2016/08/flat-earth-follies-how-to-derive-8-per.html

I show both the mathematical derivation of the equation (approximation based on Taylor series assuming 'd'/distance is small) and I happened to find the Britannica geometrical version actually quoted IN Rowbotham's Zetetic book which gives exactly the same result.

However, our OP friend is just excruciatingly and embarrassingly wrong about how slope calculations work and how curvature works.

I don't know what else to say except that CURVE is not a LINEAR function dude.  EVERY mile away you go is only an 8" 'drop' from where you ARE even though 4 miles away is 32"  -- because when you go that one mile you have ROTATED your tangent line also, which is from whence the 'drop' is measured.

What really bugs me about the thread is in its topic "The Curve of The Earth According To NASA's Own Dimensions of The Earth"!

This shows simply ignorant paranoia about NASA's role in all this. The same dimensions (within a few tens of kilometers) have been known since about 1,000 AD when Al Biruni measured the radius of the earth from the "dip angle to the horizon".
No, the horizon does not rise to eyelevel as we see so often erroneously claimed!

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2016, 09:31:12 PM »
What really bugs me about the thread is in its topic "The Curve of The Earth According To NASA's Own Dimensions of The Earth"!

This shows simply ignorant paranoia about NASA's role in all this. The same dimensions (within a few tens of kilometers) have been known since about 1,000 AD when Al Biruni measured the radius of the earth from the "dip angle to the horizon".
No, the horizon does not rise to eyelevel as we see so often erroneously claimed!

Yeah, we can measure this with a Smart Phone now:

Even on an infinite plane this wouldn't be true due to atmosphere, much less on a merely circular but flat Earth -- they just parrot it ad nauseam for some reason.

I did think of a better way to explain the problem to the OP...

If the drop rate was linear as OP suggested then it would be a STRAIGHT LINE, not a curve, making the Earth look like:    /\    << straight lines = constant slope
That's what it would be with a fixed SLOPE of .64 miles, per mile.  Did you ever chart a SLOPE on a graph?

Since it's roughly ROUND it falls off with the square of the distance.  It IS 8" further 'down' if you went straight out for 1 mile on a plank.  If you keep going straight out then the distance DOWN grows with the square of the distance BUT... if you stopped at 1 mile and dropped down, the NEXT mile would ALSO just be 8" "DOWN" because your plank (or tangent line) 1 mile later is ROTATED along the surface so you are measuring a DIFFERENT 8 inches at that point.

360/24901 = 0.01445725071 degrees PER MILE of rotation.

This is a BASIC property of circular things -- regardless of whether or not you think the Earth is spherical this IS how it works.

You can play around with it here using GeoGebra

The slightly more accurate formula is drop = sqrt(RČ + dČ) - R

But that is also an approximation because it assumes a perfect sphere, which we don't live on, our home is slightly oblate and has some roughness to it, it's not perfectly uniform.  But we all understand that... right?

I hope this helps in your understanding.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2016, 08:22:14 AM »
The chart in this link should be helpful.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za05.htm
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »
O.k, so GRAVITY is silly.  But, if I believed in occult forces, that were magically part of our everyday lives, not in an esoteric or fringy sense, but in an obvious, fundamental and ubiquitous sense, then I might not think gravity was so weird. 

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2016, 12:26:44 PM »
Regardless of the 8 inch formula, if you want to prove a round earth, you have to account for a drop of nearly four thousand miles, over the course of just over six thousand miles, which boils down to an average drop of nearly 8 inches per foot, not per mile.  Those are the numbers we have, so somehow you have to account for that.

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2016, 04:33:05 PM »
Regardless of the 8 inch formula, if you want to prove a round earth, you have to account for a drop of nearly four thousand miles, over the course of just over six thousand miles, which boils down to an average drop of nearly 8 inches per foot, not per mile.  Those are the numbers we have, so somehow you have to account for that.

Where are you Getting  these numbers from??

I am completely unable to follow your math at all. Please show me your calculations
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2016, 04:59:59 PM »

You're not still hammering on with this stupidity surely?

The earth is (almost) a globe not a straight slope!

Nobody has to "climb" any 45° slope, locally it looks flat, and in a mile the surface of the earth only deviates ±1" about the half-way point.

I simply fail to see what there is to "account for".

Now your OP contains
If it is 6,250 miles from the North Pole to the Equator and the radius of the Earth is 4,000 miles, then the curvature of the Earth should be on average about .64 miles, per mile, because 4,000 divided by 6,250 equals .64 or 3,379.2 feet of drop per mile.

THAT'S INSANE!  NOBODY SEES THAT!  THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE THAT STUPID FORMULA!  because it asserts, with junk math, that the curve starts out at just 8 inches per mile, but then it gets really big, once it's too far for you to see with the naked eye.

Do YOU KNOW who is often credited with the formula of "8 inches per mile squared"?

You do know who YOU are calling INSANE?

It seems that "THAT STUPID FORMULA" originated from "Zetetic Astronomy, by 'Parallax' (pseud. Samuel Birley Rowbotham), [1881]".

And do YOU know who Samuel Birley Rowbotham was and what Zetetic Astronomy was?

Only the person regarded by many as starting the "modern" Flat Earth movement and the book that is the basis of most of its teachings.

Quote from: Zetetic Astronomy, by 'Parallax' (pseud. Samuel Birley Rowbotham), 1881
CHAPTER II.
EXPERIMENTS DEMONSTRATING THE TRUE FORM OF STANDING WATER, AND PROVING THE EARTH TO BE A PLANE.
IF the earth is a globe, and is 25,000 English statute miles in circumference, the surface of all standing water must have a certain degree of convexity--every part must be an arc of a circle. From the summit of any such arc there will exist a curvature or declination of 8 inches in the first statute mile.  In the second mile the fall will be 32 inches; in the third mile, 72 inches, or 6 feet, as shown in the following diagram:

FIG. 1.

Let the distance from T to figure 1 represent 1 mile, and the fall from 1 to A, 8 inches; then the fall from 2 to B will be 32 inches, and from 3 to C, 72 inches. In every mile after the first, the curvature downwards from the point T increases as the square of the distance multiplied by 8 inches.  The rule, however, requires to be modified after the first thousand miles.
[/size]

Do you feel suitable small yet?

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2016, 07:08:19 PM »

Yeah, we can measure this with a Smart Phone now:

Even on an infinite plane this wouldn't be true due to atmosphere, much less on a merely circular but flat Earth -- they just parrot it ad nauseam for some reason.

I did think of a better way to explain the problem to the OP...

If the drop rate was linear as OP suggested then it would be a STRAIGHT LINE, not a curve, making the Earth look like:    /\    << straight lines = constant slope
That's what it would be with a fixed SLOPE of .64 miles, per mile.  Did you ever chart a SLOPE on a graph?

Since it's roughly ROUND it falls off with the square of the distance.  It IS 8" further 'down' if you went straight out for 1 mile on a plank.  If you keep going straight out then the distance DOWN grows with the square of the distance BUT... if you stopped at 1 mile and dropped down, the NEXT mile would ALSO just be 8" "DOWN" because your plank (or tangent line) 1 mile later is ROTATED along the surface so you are measuring a DIFFERENT 8 inches at that point.

360/24901 = 0.01445725071 degrees PER MILE of rotation.

This is a BASIC property of circular things -- regardless of whether or not you think the Earth is spherical this IS how it works.

You can play around with it here using GeoGebra

The slightly more accurate formula is drop = sqrt(RČ + dČ) - R

But that is also an approximation because it assumes a perfect sphere, which we don't live on, our home is slightly oblate and has some roughness to it, it's not perfectly uniform.  But we all understand that... right?

I hope this helps in your understanding.
What app is this? Looks interesting..

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »
What app is this? Looks interesting..

I think the horizon app used there was "theodolite", butter I can't find it now on the Google Play Store,
but I have "Dioptra" which is similar.

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »
I saw Dioptra as well but couldn't find the other. Thanks though..

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2016, 10:15:38 AM »
which boils down to an average drop of nearly 8 inches per foot, not per mile.  Those are the numbers we have, so somehow you have to account for that.

See this Marciano?  Even a flat-earther is telling you you're wrong.

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »
which boils down to an average drop of nearly 8 inches per foot, not per mile.  Those are the numbers we have, so somehow you have to account for that.

See this Marciano?  Even a flat-earther is telling you you're wrong.

Wrong about what!?  He isn't denying that you have to account for the drop!  Nobody is!!!  But You Can't See Observe It!  IF WE REALLY LIVED ON A BALL, IT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS! 

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2016, 02:02:29 PM »

Even though these guys were supposed to live inside a big ball, they lived on a flat plane.