Simple observation that the sun sets below the horizon

• 36 Replies
Re: Simple observation that the sun sets below the horizon
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »
The sun shining on the underside of the clouds is an excellent example.

With the sun model used by the FET, the sun at 3000 miles above the earth never gets below the clouds that are at most about 5 miles above the earth.  Science says light bends about half a degree so it wouldn't bend sufficiently to light the underside of the clouds.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 11:15:10 AM »
Could the dome bend lingt down?

Think about the physics required for that -- the light would need to travel down ~3000 miles, go beneath the cloud layer but not so far that it actually hits the ground, then arc back up to illuminate the underside of the clouds.  Light isn't a boomerang.

Moreover, while the bottom of the cloud layer is illuminated after sunset, the top of the clouds aren't illuminated whatsoever.  Take a flight just after sunset to confirm this for yourself.

TL;DR:  The sun actually sets, disproving both the flat earth solar model and the infinite plane model.

Do mirrors confuse you as well?
So the ground is a mirror?

Hmmmm  ::).......I thought "the dome" was the mirror. ???
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
Could the dome bend lingt down?

Think about the physics required for that -- the light would need to travel down ~3000 miles, go beneath the cloud layer but not so far that it actually hits the ground, then arc back up to illuminate the underside of the clouds.  Light isn't a boomerang.

Moreover, while the bottom of the cloud layer is illuminated after sunset, the top of the clouds aren't illuminated whatsoever.  Take a flight just after sunset to confirm this for yourself.

TL;DR:  The sun actually sets, disproving both the flat earth solar model and the infinite plane model.

You mean as well as they confuse you?  Apparently not. 

Do shiny light confuse you as well as mirrors?

I think your computer is broken.  It seems that it can only generate stupid outputs.

He may have a "Spell Checker" on his computer  but maybe he doesn't have a "Stupid Checker" on his computer ?
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
I would like to offer a much simpler explanation that doesn't require artifacts such as the use of mirrors. The earth-plane is actually supported by a large sphere or ball - the plane tilts on the ball as the day progresses causing the apparent motion of the sun in the sky. At sunset the earth-plane tilts up to the exact value of the local latitude causing the apparent effect of the sun setting. During the night, the plane rotates by 180 degrees causing the apparent motion of the stars in the night sky, and also positioning the sun sun in the eastern horizon in preparation for sunrise. This diurnal motion is purportedly due to a three dimensional system when it is really a tilting plane, which as we all know has only two dimensions. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »

Is peanut butter sentient?
See, I can spout irrelevant nonsense too.

The aether?

Cool. Now prove it.

I would like to offer a much simpler explanation that doesn't require artifacts such as the use of mirrors. The earth-plane is actually supported by a large sphere or ball - the plane tilts on the ball as the day progresses causing the apparent motion of the sun in the sky. At sunset the earth-plane tilts up to the exact value of the local latitude causing the apparent effect of the sun setting. During the night, the plane rotates by 180 degrees causing the apparent motion of the stars in the night sky, and also positioning the sun sun in the eastern horizon in preparation for sunrise. This diurnal motion is purportedly due to a three dimensional system when it is really a tilting plane, which as we all know has only two dimensions. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Cool. Now prove it.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 03:29:43 PM »

Wow!  May I suggest a much simpler solution?

Just possibly the earth is a sphere that rotates West to East to make it appear that the sun sets behind the horizon, yet still able to illuminate the underside of clouds.  Sounds much simpler to me!

Oh, wait that was suggested by Copernicus and finally accepted after Brahe (who took meticulous measurement, but did not accept a rotating earth), Keplar, Galileo and Newton came along.

Such silly people suggesting such a logical argument!

FlatEarthDenial

• FE is anti-science.
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 06:06:13 AM »
And what would you expect to see if you were on that cloud (suppose you can fly)? I think you would see the sun slightly above your eyeline, exactly as the FET predicts.
Of course, then you wouldn't even see the clouds under you (just like when you are in fog, you can see the fog only far away). But if you moved even higher, you would see the clouds with the top being illuminated (and the sun even higher).
I am not a scientist, I am just applying basic common sense.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:47:55 AM by FlatEarthDenial »
A former Flat Earther.
This is my story, which I'd encourage every Flat Earther to read:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67051.0