Tune in for SpaceX's return to flight and first landing success

• 478 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Tune in for SpaceX's return to flight and first landing success
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2015, 06:12:56 PM »
It's common practice to fold the solar arrays for compact storage and then unfold them after the satellite is deployed.  The gold foil is for thermal insulation.

Please explain EXACTLY how this is done.

No links; just in your own words.
How is what done?  The folding of the solar arrays or the thermal insulation? 

Either way, I probably can't tell you EXACTLY how it's cone because I didn't work on those particular satellites.  However, I could probably explain the general principles of either, seeing as neither concept is terribly complicated.

Then again, you'll probably just say that it's all BS and we waste 10 pages of you pretending not to understand something that should be pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »
You don't belive an object can be unfolded In space?
How would the thingy be able to do so?

@ ~0 Pa and ~3 K? :D

Hilarious.
I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2015, 06:43:51 PM »

Hilarious.
Space is at 3K, but the satellite isnt: its actually usually pretty hot. The vacuum problem isnt.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.546.5751&rep=rep1&type=pdf
http://www.dlr.de/Portaldata/49/Resources/dokumente/archiv5/1107P_Mirshams.pdf
http://pubs.sciepub.com/ajme/1/3/2/
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »

Hilarious.
Space is at 3K, but the satellite isnt: its actually usually pretty hot. The vacuum problem isnt.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.546.5751&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Space is empty thus stone cold (no particles to perform movement). Due to radiation the sun-lit site of a fictional satellite would be heated. Problem is the ~600 K/C Temperature difference between the sun-lit and shadow sides. No material can withstand that; at such low temperatures the material properties of any material go completely loco. Andromeda Galaxy can tell you all about it; he's a material science engineer.
I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2015, 06:59:35 PM »

Hilarious.

Space is empty thus stone cold (no particles to perform movement). Due to radiation the sun-lit site of a fictional satellite would be heated. Problem is the ~600 K/C Temperature difference between the sun-lit and shadow sides. No material can withstand that; at such low temperatures the material properties of any material go completely loco. Andromeda Galaxy can tell you all about it; he's a material science engineer.

There is no such heat difference PRECISELY because there is no air. The only way a self-heating body such as a satellite can cool down in a vacuum is via radiation, which is extremely slow. Indeed, one of the constant problems the ISS used to suffer was a defect in the ammonia pumps that COOL down the station from OVERHEATING, via liquid heat exchanging to a radiative panel. They used to tear down practically by the month. They were fixed, iirc, in 2013.
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

?

frenat

« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »

Hilarious.

hence the thermal insulation and the fact that the sunlit side will not ever stay the sunlit side.  There will be rotation as it orbits.  And of course, in the real world things take time to heat up and cool down.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2015, 10:47:05 PM »
Either way, I probably can't tell you EXACTLY how it's cone.

Thought so.

Toodle-pip, Walter Mitty.
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2015, 12:49:17 AM »

Thought so.

If you want to know look it up.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2015, 01:20:50 AM »

Thought so.

If you want to know look it up.

Oh, I already have.

And I'm still laughing at it.

Now I know why flatorange felt like this:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I'M STILL SHAKING AND MY ARMS ARE TINGLY

SpaceX are super-lulzy!
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2015, 01:43:35 AM »
Still no explanation for the satellites it launched.

« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2015, 10:25:34 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/oR47nGV.jpg

Brilliant picture of the 1st stage on the landing pad.

Also just learnt that all future launches will attempt 1st stage recovery.  Brilliant news.

Thanks for posting that, Pythagoras!!

Also, i believe there are two launches coming up quite soon!
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2015, 12:19:49 AM »
I belive Jan 17 is the Jason sat launch. They are looking at at least 12 launches this year including falcon heavy!

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2015, 08:43:48 AM »
So Elon Musk and SpaceX suggest that they sent up a Falcon 9 rocket in space at a certain time the other day and that its first, nine engines stage transported the second stage to 80 000 m altitude after 150 seconds, where the seconds stage took off into space, etc.

The first stage also continued upwards to 200 000 m altitude into space by its own momentum, they suggest, but then it dropped down from there and landed more or less where it had started 435 seconds later. To do so the first stage performed a backwards loop - total trajectory >350 000 m, at very high speed during 435 seconds.

To change direction back to where it started Boost back burns were done by the rocket engines and to stop the drop to enable the first stage to slow down and land an Entry burn and a Landing burn were also done. But it was not enough! Hypersonic grid fins were deployed from the first stage to reduce speed and steer it back to ground.

I have never experienced so much nonsense in so short time ... live on TV ... lately. I describe more at http://heiwaco.com/moontravel.htm#F9 .

« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2015, 09:05:47 AM »
Back burns from the Engine would have been enough (if u have thrust to accelerate upwards u also have thrust to decelerate) but that would have meant carrying more fuel, reducing payload...that's why the airbrakes

« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2015, 09:27:15 AM »
So Elon Musk and SpaceX suggest that they sent up a Falcon 9 rocket in space at a certain time the other day and that its first, nine engines stage transported the second stage to 80 000 m altitude after 150 seconds, where the seconds stage took off into space, etc.

The first stage also continued upwards to 200 000 m altitude into space by its own momentum, they suggest, but then it dropped down from there and landed more or less where it had started 435 seconds later. To do so the first stage performed a backwards loop - total trajectory >350 000 m, at very high speed during 435 seconds.

To change direction back to where it started Boost back burns were done by the rocket engines and to stop the drop to enable the first stage to slow down and land an Entry burn and a Landing burn were also done. But it was not enough! Hypersonic grid fins were deployed from the first stage to reduce speed and steer it back to ground.

I have never experienced so much nonsense in so short time ... live on TV ... lately. I describe more at http://heiwaco.com/moontravel.htm#F9 .

Lol nice to see you still try and plug your rediculous joke of a website everytime. Desperate for those site visits are you

Heiwa

« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »

Lol nice to see you still try and plug your rediculous joke of a website everytime. Desperate for those site visits are you

I agree the SpaceX stunt is very absurd worth lots of laughter (and not rediculous but ridiculous).

Imagine sending a rocket into space to 80 000 m altitude and 1 700 m/s speed and then recovering it intact in 435 seconds by bringing it back to ground at 0 m altitude and 0 m/s speed almost where it started less than 10 minutes earlier. 

It seems the SpaceX rocket, apart from flipping 180° around itself,  performed a high-speed, backwards, part loop or salto mortale or somersault, top of which was at 200 000 m altitude, with a vertical ending, which takes place >95% in space where there is no air using hypersonic grid fins (LOL) for steering and braking apart from firing the rocket engines now and then.

I am not surprised that media swallow the Elon Musk nonsense with rod, floater, sinker and hook. Media do not know the difference of fantasy and reality nowadays.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:43:06 AM by Heiwa »

« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2015, 10:43:46 AM »
I don't knees to imagine I have watched it.

« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2015, 10:45:18 AM »

I agree the SpaceX stunt is very absurd worth lots of laughter (and not rediculous but ridiculous).

Imagine sending a rocket into space to 80 000 m altitude and 1 700 m/s speed and then recovering it intact in 435 seconds by bringing it back to ground at 0 m altitude and 0 m/s speed almost where it started less than 10 minutes earlier. 

It seems the SpaceX rocket, apart from flipping 180° around itself,  performed a high-speed, backwards, part loop or salto mortale or somersault, top of which was at 200 000 m altitude, with a vertical ending, which takes place >95% in space where there is no air using hypersonic grid fins (LOL) for steering and braking apart from firing the rocket engines now and then.

I am not surprised that media swallow the Elon Musk nonsense with rod, floater, sinker and hook. Media do not know the difference of fantasy and reality nowadays.
What's the story then on the satellites it launched?

« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »
Oh and it used cold gas jets to orientate itself. I thought you were an expert?

Heiwa

« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:58:18 AM by Heiwa »

« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2015, 10:57:46 AM »
Yeah I suppose they had to pay off most of thst part of florida off and will have to now for every launch they do from now on as well as Texas once they stsrt flying from there.

?

frenat

« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2015, 11:01:40 AM »

argument from incredulity and your site IS ridiculous.

Heiwa

« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2015, 11:05:11 AM »
Before it was on a barge out at sea off limits for any observers but in daytime. Now it is in pitch dark night. Anyway - the last 20 seconds of the stunt - the landing burn - seems to take place at very slow speed. Less than a minute earlier the rocket must have been flying backwards with speed exceeding that of sound. Imagine flying backwards at the speed of sound!

Heiwa

« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »

argument from incredulity and your site IS ridiculous.

Hm, my space travel web pages are factual, scientific and popular with plenty visitors. You seem to suffer from cognitive dissonance.

« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2015, 11:10:01 AM »
So what will your excuse be from now on now thst they will recover the 1st stage with every launch? Have you updated your info to include the cold gas jets for orientation?

« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »
Before it was on a barge out at sea off limits for any observers but in daytime. Now it is in pitch dark night. Anyway - the last 20 seconds of the stunt - the landing burn - seems to take place at very slow speed. Less than a minute earlier the rocket must have been flying backwards with speed exceeding that of sound. Imagine flying backwards at the speed of sound!

A rocket is not airplane, is a slender body, from an aerodynamic Point of view it does not make much difference flying in one direction or the opposite...

?

frenat

« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2015, 11:25:50 AM »

Hm, my space travel web pages are factual, scientific and popular with plenty visitors. You seem to suffer from cognitive dissonance.
your pages are full of ignorance and arguments from incredulity.  you've been caught changing them when people submit answers to your challenge so you can avoid awarding the money you don't have.  You only get visitors because you spam your site everywhere you go (getting some ad revenue maybe?).  YOU and your site are a joke.

Heiwa

« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »

your pages are full of ignorance and arguments from incredulity.  you've been caught changing them when people submit answers to your challenge so you can avoid awarding the money you don't have.  You only get visitors because you spam your site everywhere you go (getting some ad revenue maybe?).  YOU and your site are a joke.

Hm, my web page http://heiwaco.com/moontravel.htm is very popular thanks Google and whatever and my 10 000 visitors/month seem happy. Being a share holder of Arianespace that sends satellites into space at regular intervals, maybe makes me partial, but this SpaceX Elon Musk clown and his circus has no chance against us.

« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
Lol yeah that's why ariane are trying to play catch up by developing their own reusable rocket. Shame they are 10 years behind.