Give your top ten proofs for a globe.

• 119 Replies

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
Give your top ten proofs for a globe.
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:24:10 AM »
I decided to do a little race. I already made a thread asking flat earthers to list there top ten reasons, now I'm asking for round (globe) earthers to give their top ten proofs. Who can give their reasons first in one post. I think I know who's going to win.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Poko

Re: Give your top ten proofs for a globe.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
I'll copy and paste mine from the previous thread.

1. Objects going past the horizon disappear from the bottom up. They don't shrink because they are getting farther away, they are going under the horizon line.
2. The moon and sun set under the horizon. If the Earth were a flat disc, this would mean that they are going underneath the disc.
3. You can change when sunrise and sunset occur simply by changing your altitude. Go to Dubai, watch the sunset, take an elevator to the top of Burj Khalifa, and watch the sunset again.
4. The sun is always up somewhere, meaning that the sun can't be under the disc. This presents a conflict with point 2.
5. The stars visible from the northern hemisphere are different from the stars visible from the southern hemisphere.
6. In the northern hemisphere, the stars appear to revolve around Polaris. In the southern hemisphere, stars appear to revolve around Sigma Octantis. On a flat Earth the stars would all appear to revolve around the same point.
7. Commercial tours to the South Pole are available starting from Punta Arenas, Chile, and Cape Town, South Africa. Start from Chile, have your friend start from South Africa, and you will both arrive at the same place. Bring a compass with you to ensure that your boat goes due south and you aren't being brought to a fake South Pole.
8. The International Space Station is visible from the ground. http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/ will tell you exactly when and where to look. You can even communicate with the station with a radio if you have the technological know-how.
9. Different points on the Earth have measurably different gravitational acceleration. This is to be expected since the Earth is not a perfect sphere and is spinning.
10. There are unaltered, non-composite photographs of the Earth from space which show its curvature.
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »
See FEs. This is what I want from you. A RE has beaten you to the punch (again).

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »
See FEs. This is what I want from you. A RE has beaten you to the punch (again).
A proof for a globe shouldn't be an observation expected under an FE model. I would happily use most of those as an observation predicted by my model: why does it only work as evidence of RET?
Ah, right, presupposition, bias and dishonesty.
http://fet.wikia.com
dualearththeory.proboards.com/
On the sister site if you want to talk.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 12:29:08 PM »
A proof for a globe shouldn't be an observation expected under an FE model. I would happily use most of those as an observation predicted by my model: why does it only work as evidence of RET?

Your model is the reason Aliens won't contact us afraid that they could catch your mental disease(s).

Poko

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 12:41:03 PM »

My list is just observations we would expect with a RE but not with a FE. If you want to explain how these observations would be expected with a FE, I'm all ears.
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »

1. Objects going past the horizon disappear from the bottom up. They don't shrink because they are getting farther away, they are going under the horizon line.

Point number one disproves that the world is flat, so there you are. That disagrees with your theory.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 12:49:37 PM »

Point number one disproves that the world is flat, so there you are. That disagrees with your theory.

That doesn't even disagree with classical FET. An answer's been offered countless times. (Besides, the downwards flow of aether would cause the exact same observation: over long distances, only the highest points on a ship would stay visible). So, no, it doesn't disprove that the world is flat, at all. It shows that if you try to copy and paste a flat disc into the RE model it fails, but why would you expect anything different?

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »

That doesn't even disagree with classical FET.

Yes it does. If the sun and moon were on a giant track above us then we should see the sun shrinking and disappearing. But instead we see the sun the same size going down behind the horizon.
An answer's been offered countless times. (Besides, the downwards flow of aether would cause the exact same observation: over long distances, only the highest points on a ship would stay visible). So, no, it doesn't disprove that the world is flat, at all. It shows that if you try to copy and paste a flat disc into the RE model it fails, but why would you expect anything different?

And what measurements do you have to prove this? What evidence you have that Aether acts like you say it does?

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 01:03:11 PM »

Yes it does. If the sun and moon were on a giant track above us then we should see the sun shrinking and disappearing. But instead we see the sun the same size going down behind the horizon.
An answer's been offered countless times. (Besides, the downwards flow of aether would cause the exact same observation: over long distances, only the highest points on a ship would stay visible). So, no, it doesn't disprove that the world is flat, at all. It shows that if you try to copy and paste a flat disc into the RE model it fails, but why would you expect anything different?

And what measurements do you have to prove this? What evidence you have that Aether acts like you say it does?

None of which does what you says it does, and proves a globe. You've provided observations explains by both models (even if you ignore the answers). How is that evidence for a globe over a disc?
Don't evade the question.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 01:07:11 PM »

None of which does what you says it does, and proves a globe. You've provided observations explains by both models (even if you ignore the answers). How is that evidence for a globe over a disc?
Don't evade the question.
All measurements prove the earth is round.  If you disagree then provide your measurements.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »

You want for us to copy and paste?  Are you dumb? 

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 01:24:43 PM »
All measurements prove the earth is round.  If you disagree then provide your measurements.
Yep, that's about all I'd expect from a REer. Just assuming RET is the default. Would you like to share why they can't be evidence for FET despite being in line with what a model predicts, or are you just wasting time as per usual?

Poko

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 01:31:04 PM »

I wrote this list myself. I'm not copying and pasting from another REer, I'm copying and pasting from myself in another thread.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 01:33:18 PM »

I wrote this list myself. I'm not copying and pasting from another REer, I'm copying and pasting from myself in another thread.

Your fellow FE'ers think it is perfectly fine to copy/pasta and make it out to be a debate.  They are dumb. 

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »

Your fellow FE'ers think it is perfectly fine to copy/pasta and make it out to be a debate.  They are dumb.

I'm not seeing why not. Of course you're going to say "see that's my point". But if I copy and paste something that is a valid argument then why it's not a valid argument?

Poko

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 01:56:22 PM »
jroa has appeared and the thread is already starting to derail. Can a FEer please just address my individual points? Don't just say the whole list is garbage. Go through each point and explain why it is incorrect or irrelevant.

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 02:03:46 PM »
Yep, that's about all I'd expect from a REer. Just assuming RET is the default. Would you like to share why they can't be evidence for FET despite being in line with what a model predicts, or are you just wasting time as per usual?
No, use the measurements to determine the size and shape of the object we have measured.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 02:07:22 PM »

Poko is an fe'er?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »
I am not sure why DEF is being brought into this. *I* am not even sure why the hemidisks are flat. What proof is there of that assumption?
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

TheGreatGray

• Spherical Earth Forever
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 02:37:06 PM »
1) During a lunar eclipse, the Earth's shadow is always a circle. If the Earth were a sphere, the shadow would more often be an oval, and sometimes even a line. Similarly would occur with moon phases.
2) The sun does not produce a circular light that graduates from light to dark, it creates two distinct halves, one in day, one in night.
3) Planes take the most direct path possible. Planes that go from South America to Australia do not pass over the United States; they stay withing the Southern Hemisphere
4) The Earth experiences seasons
5) The Earth is magnetic (the north and south magnetic poles are not perfectly opposite by the way)
6) It is possible to get GPS signal over the Ocean or in a canyon, but not in a tunnel open on both ends.
7) The Earth experiences plate tectonics
8) You can see a farther distance at the top of Mount Everest at the ground than you can looking straight from sea level, despite that this requires your line of sight to pass through more atmosphere.
9) Earth gets hotter as we get deeper, because there is more pressure, because it is a sphere
10) It is not my fault that you don't have the resources to go to Antarctica, the Ocean, space, or find any picture that would prove that the Earth is round in a second.
God forbid anyone challenge your beliefs, lest you be forced to defend or change them.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »
jroa has appeared and the thread is already starting to derail. Can a FEer please just address my individual points? Don't just say the whole list is garbage. Go through each point and explain why it is incorrect or irrelevant.
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model, due to the downwards flow of aether
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model, due to the mechanism governing the Sun
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model, due to the mechanism governing the Sun
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model trivially
  • Addressed countless times on this forum
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model, due to the reason for gravity

I don't see why proposing as evidence an observation expected by DET and some FE models counts as evidence for RET, and not the others. Either this isn't satisfactory evidence, or I can use it in favor of DET. Let me know, I may add an entry to the other thread.

TheGreatGray

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model, due to the downwards flow of aether
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model, due to the reason for gravity

I don't see why proposing as evidence an observation expected by DET and some FE models counts as evidence for RET, and not the others. Either this isn't satisfactory evidence, or I can use it in favor of DET. Let me know, I may add an entry to the other thread.
We asked for science, not aether.
God forbid anyone challenge your beliefs, lest you be forced to defend or change them.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 02:45:25 PM »
We asked for science, not aether.

Poko

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 02:45:34 PM »
I realize that 10 might not be a good reason because "muh conspiracy" but I've never actually seen 8 addressed. It usually just gets ignored.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
I realize that 10 might not be a good reason because "muh conspiracy" but I've never actually seen 8 addressed. It usually just gets ignored.
10 isn't necessarily based on a conspiracy: just artistic license. The only such photos actively want to show curvature, but typically it's nearly impossible to see any at accessible altitudes (for publicly available images) due to what is a small amount even under RET, and blurring down to clouds.
All 8 demonstrates is that there's something in the sky.

TheGreatGray

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
My 8 or your 8? Both of which I think fit the case

TheGreatGray

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »
10 isn't necessarily based on a conspiracy: just artistic license. The only such photos actively want to show curvature, but typically it's nearly impossible to see any at accessible altitudes (for publicly available images) due to what is a small amount even under RET, and blurring down to clouds.
That something happens to prove the existance of gravity and that your whole conspiracy isnt true because you can actually see a satalliete. Was it you that said that a picture of the ISS from earth looked like a bug on the lens? YOU CAN TRACK THE SATELLITE, AND YOU CAN SEE IT. IT'S NOT OUR FAULT YOU REFUSE TO.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 02:52:43 PM »
1) During a lunar eclipse, the Earth's shadow is always a circle. If the Earth were a sphere, the shadow would more often be an oval, and sometimes even a line. Similarly would occur with moon phases.
2) The sun does not produce a circular light that graduates from light to dark, it creates two distinct halves, one in day, one in night.
3) Planes take the most direct path possible. Planes that go from South America to Australia do not pass over the United States; they stay withing the Southern Hemisphere
4) The Earth experiences seasons
5) The Earth is magnetic (the north and south magnetic poles are not perfectly opposite by the way)
6) It is possible to get GPS signal over the Ocean or in a canyon, but not in a tunnel open on both ends.
7) The Earth experiences plate tectonics
8) You can see a farther distance at the top of Mount Everest at the ground than you can looking straight from sea level, despite that this requires your line of sight to pass through more atmosphere.
9) Earth gets hotter as we get deeper, because there is more pressure, because it is a sphere
10) It is not my fault that you don't have the resources to go to Antarctica, the Ocean, space, or find any picture that would prove that the Earth is round in a second.

For completeness
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model, not the Earth's shadow
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model, due to the mecahnism governing the Sun
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model, trivially
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model and even classical FE, due to how stratellites work
  • Exactly what would be expected under the DE model and even classical FE due to air density
  • Not proof of anything

That something happens to prove the existance of gravity and that your whole conspiracy isnt true because you can actually see a satalliete. Was it you that said that a picture of the ISS from earth looked like a bug on the lens? YOU CAN TRACK THE SATELLITE, AND YOU CAN SEE IT. IT'S NOT OUR FAULT YOU REFUSE TO.
Nope, wasn't me. I typically stay out of discussions for which the DE answer is no different to the FE.
An object in the sky does not mean an object in space.

Poko

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 02:53:51 PM »

Right, but what would that something be? What would be keeping it in the sky? Why has no FE astronomer done any research at all into what this object might be?