How does the Flat Earth not move faster than light?

• 67 Replies

TheGreatGray

• Spherical Earth Forever
How does the Flat Earth not move faster than light?
« on: December 20, 2015, 10:44:04 AM »
Hello. My previous thread was criticized by flat Earthers for containing "too many questions" for them to answer at once. Therefore, I decided I would ask my best questions one at a time.

I assume even those that believe the Earth is flat must understand that nothing with mass can move at or above the speed of light. This is a fundamental law of physics. However, according to the Flat Earth Model, the Earth (or the Solar System, the Universe, I don't know, it doesn't make sense) is constantly accelerating at 9.8 m/s/s, which creates the force scientists know as gravity. Well, assuming the Universe is AT LEAST 1 Billion years old, (I don't know what the flat Earth Model's age of the Universe is, they refused to answer that question on my thread) If the earth accelerates at 9.8 m/s/s, and the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s... well, it doesn't take a math major to figure out that by this point, the Earth would be moving AT OR ABOVE THE SPEED OF LIGHT... FOR A WHILE.

Even if you claim the universe is only like 100 years old or something and everyone's memories have been implanted and fossils and stuff are dragon bones put there by Satan or some crap, EVENTUALLY, the universe would be moving at the speed of light... and what happens then?

I heard that the point was made (by jroa of course) that we simply move at NEAR light speed forever. This would make no sense. Once we are at 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% the speed of light, and we could no longer move at 9.8 m/s/s without trespassing the speed of light, the Earth would have to decelerate to a lesser acceleration to prevent this trespassing, making gravity gradually weaker over time. Eventually the only possible speed the Earth could move at without being at or above light speed is 1 plank/second less than the speed of light, and the Earth would stop accelerating entirely, resulting there being no gravity at all.

Remember, all of these things would have happened A LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, TIME AGO.

There are exactly 3 scenarios
a) There is a way that the Earth can move beyond the speed of light and infinitely faster forever. Explain this.
b) There is a way for the Universe to get infinitely close to the speed of light while not passing and maintain the same constant force. Explain this
c) The Flat Earth model is impossible.
God forbid anyone challenge your beliefs, lest you be forced to defend or change them.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: How does the Flat Earth not move faster than light?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 11:33:52 AM »
The Earth doesn't move faster than light for two reasons.
1. The Earth doesn't move except to breathe as a cell.

2. There's no such thing as the speed of light.

TheGreatGray

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 11:40:13 AM »
The Earth doesn't move faster than light for two reasons.
1. The Earth doesn't move except to breathe as a cell.

2. There's no such thing as the speed of light.

I'm sorry, what?
I genuinely have no idea what you mean by "Breathe as a cell" and are you telling me there is not a consistent speed that electromagnetism travels through in a vacuum?
God forbid anyone challenge your beliefs, lest you be forced to defend or change them.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 12:38:55 PM »
What do mean "there's no such thing as the speed of light"?
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 12:46:58 PM »
You should study up on Relativity.  Special Relativity tells us that an object can accelerate indefinitely at a constant rate without ever reaching the speed of light.  It would merely approach the speed of light forever.   

?

luxq2170

• Logic is the best weapon we have.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »
Hello. My previous thread was criticized by flat Earthers for containing "too many questions" for them to answer at once. Therefore, I decided I would ask my best questions one at a time.

I assume even those that believe the Earth is flat must understand that nothing with mass can move at or above the speed of light. This is a fundamental law of physics. However, according to the Flat Earth Model, the Earth (or the Solar System, the Universe, I don't know, it doesn't make sense) is constantly accelerating at 9.8 m/s/s, which creates the force scientists know as gravity. Well, assuming the Universe is AT LEAST 1 Billion years old, (I don't know what the flat Earth Model's age of the Universe is, they refused to answer that question on my thread) If the earth accelerates at 9.8 m/s/s, and the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s... well, it doesn't take a math major to figure out that by this point, the Earth would be moving AT OR ABOVE THE SPEED OF LIGHT... FOR A WHILE.

Even if you claim the universe is only like 100 years old or something and everyone's memories have been implanted and fossils and stuff are dragon bones put there by Satan or some crap, EVENTUALLY, the universe would be moving at the speed of light... and what happens then?

I heard that the point was made (by jroa of course) that we simply move at NEAR light speed forever. This would make no sense. Once we are at 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% the speed of light, and we could no longer move at 9.8 m/s/s without trespassing the speed of light, the Earth would have to decelerate to a lesser acceleration to prevent this trespassing, making gravity gradually weaker over time. Eventually the only possible speed the Earth could move at without being at or above light speed is 1 plank/second less than the speed of light, and the Earth would stop accelerating entirely, resulting there being no gravity at all.

Remember, all of these things would have happened A LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, TIME AGO.

a) There is a way that the Earth can move beyond the speed of light and infinitely faster forever. Explain this.
b) There is a way for the Universe to get infinitely close to the speed of light while not passing and maintain the same constant force. Explain this

This is an interesting question. I'm afraid I have to remind you that the acceleration of 9.8 m s^-2 should be defined in the reference frame of the Earth (in order for us to feel the consistent 9.8 m s^ -2), which is non-inertial. However from an observer in an inertial reference frame outside the Earth, he would see the Earth accelerating to almost the speed of the light (0.99999...). You might want to rephrase or withdraw this question, my friend.

(Mathematically you might want to check out the Lorentz transformation of acceleration.)

TheGreatGray

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 01:17:01 PM »

This is an interesting question. I'm afraid I have to remind you that the acceleration of 9.8 m s^-2 should be defined in the reference frame of the Earth (in order for us to feel the consistent 9.8 m s^ -2), which is non-inertial. However from an observer in an inertial reference frame outside the Earth, he would see the Earth accelerating to almost the speed of the light (0.99999...). You might want to rephrase or withdraw this question, my friend.

(Mathematically you might want to check out the Lorentz transformation of acceleration.)

Do you believe that the concept is salvageable? If so, how should I rephrase it?

?

luxq2170

• Logic is the best weapon we have.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 01:25:36 PM »

Do you believe that the concept is salvageable? If so, how should I rephrase it?

I guess if FEs claim that the flat earth is in a "bubble" (the Sun and the stars are also included), then there is no way for anyone inside the bubble to differentiate gravity and acceleration of the whole bubble. Equivalence princle. But if they admit that the stars are not relatively accelerating (they are not part of the bubble), then I think you can make an argument on observable blue-shift of their spectrum.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 02:22:44 PM »
Everything within the visible universe is accelerating at 9.8m/s^2 along with the FE.  Within our frame of reference, we will experience acceleration to be a constant 9.8m/s^2.  To someone outside the accelerating frame of reference, they would see the acceleration decrease as the accelerating FOR approached the speed of light.  The accelerating FE/universe would require an infinite amount of time to reach the speed of light.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
Everything within the visible universe is accelerating at 9.8m/s^2 along with the FE.  Within our frame of reference, we will experience acceleration to be a constant 9.8m/s^2.  To someone outside the accelerating frame of reference, they would see the acceleration decrease as the accelerating FOR approached the speed of light.  The accelerating FE/universe would require an infinite amount of time to reach the speed of light.
Why do astronomers say that is untrue?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 02:42:56 PM »
Astronomers say Special Relativity is untrue?

-- Bob Hudson

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »
nothing with mass can move at or above the speed of light.
This is not a law of anything. Gas clouds were observed going faster than the so called speed of light in the mid 1980's. Since then light has been shown to be of varied speeds, not a constant.
If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 02:51:36 PM »
Uh, no.

-- Bob Hudson

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »
Astronomers say Special Relativity is untrue?
No, they say not everything is accelerating at the same value.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »
Ok, but they haven't invalidated Special Relativity.  Whew!

-- Bob Hudson

TheGreatGray

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
This is not a law of anything. Gas clouds were observed going faster than the so called speed of light in the mid 1980's. Since then light has been shown to be of varied speeds, not a constant.

Can a get a source for that?

CaptainMagpie

• Aristibird of Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
How would the mechanism behind never quite reaching the speed of light work? It is easy to say but when you really think about it how you can be accelerating but not accelerating? Values that get infinitely small work on paper in a math problem but things do not work that way in reality.
fuck off penguin.  I'll take my ban to tell you to go fuck your self.  Ban please.   I am waiting.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 03:14:20 PM »

It is a phenomenon called a 'light echo' and does not violate Special Relativity.

-- Bob Hudson

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 03:15:41 PM »
No, just that redshift/blueshift thing.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »
How would the mechanism behind never quite reaching the speed of light work? It is easy to say but when you really think about it how you can be accelerating but not accelerating? Values that get infinitely small work on paper in a math problem but things do not work that way in reality.
Frames of reference.  In our frame of reference, we would have no idea anything was changing.  In an outside inertial FOR, they would observe the rate of acceleration to decrease.

-- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 03:17:54 PM »
They invalidated redshift/blueshift?!?  Blasphemy!

-- Bob Hudson

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 03:20:33 PM »
They invalidated redshift/blueshift?!?  Blasphemy!
No. It's evidence against
Quote from: TheEngineer
Everything within the visible universe is accelerating at 9.8m/s^2 along with the FE.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 03:21:12 PM »

A smart man named Albert Einstein mathematically worked it out over 100 years ago. 

TheGreatGray

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 03:23:26 PM »

It is a phenomenon called a 'light echo' and does not violate Special Relativity.

I asked for a source, preferably a link, because he referred to a specific measured experiment at a specific time, which completely contradicts all of the research on the speed of light I have done, but I will look up "light echo" 

TheGreatGray

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »

A smart man named Albert Einstein mathematically worked it out over 100 years ago.
Yes. He publicly stood in front of crowds very often advocating the flat earth, and used it in all of his research models. The e in e=mc^2 also does not stand for energy; that is a NASA lie, it really stands for ether.

CaptainMagpie

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 03:31:44 PM »
Frames of reference.  In our frame of reference, we would have no idea anything was changing.  In an outside inertial FOR, they would observe the rate of acceleration to decrease.
I didn't ask how it was observed. I asked how does an object realistically experience this happening. I don't care what it looks like from a distance.
fuck off penguin.  I'll take my ban to tell you to go fuck your self.  Ban please.   I am waiting.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 03:33:08 PM »

Yes. He publicly stood in front of crowds very often advocating the flat earth, and used it in all of his research models. The e in e=mc^2 also does not stand for energy; that is a NASA lie, it really stands for ether.

Now, you are just being ridiculous. 

CaptainMagpie

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 03:34:16 PM »

Well so was the original statement so it had to match.

TheGreatGray

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »

Ok, I'll put it simply.
Albert Einstein rolls in his grave because people use his works to attempt to prove the Earth is flat instead of advancing science and humanity. Albert Einstein did not believe the Earth was flat. He didn't have to for you to use his work, but I just find it silly you use a scientist who would cry if he was alive today and saw this thread.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 03:38:43 PM »

Well so was the original statement so it had to match.

Albert Einstein is ridiculous now?