How would you measure the distance between Washington, D.C. and Beijing?

• 37 Replies
?

luxq2170

• Logic is the best weapon we have.
Before you illustrate your method, please try to provide a definition of distance.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
Re: How would you measure the distance between Washington, D.C. and Beijing?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »
This oughta be good. I don't think I heard an answer to that.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Poko

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »
You could measure the position of the sun in the sky at the same time in both locations. This isn't possible right now since it's the winter in the northern hemisphere, but you could use another point in between them, like Hawaii. Of course, you would need to know the radius of the Earth for this to work, but that can be determined experimentally. http://astronomy.nmsu.edu/geas/lectures/lecture10/slide05.html
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 04:36:56 PM »
Very carefully.  Thanks for asking. 

TheGreatGray

• Spherical Earth Forever
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 04:54:01 PM »
I think that he is asking for a specific answer to the method for how it is done. Just out of curiosity, according to the Flat Earth, what is this distance? What is the radius of the Earth? What is the distance from East to West of Australia? If I took a car and drove this distance, using the amount of gas projected for the round Earth Model (based on miles per gallon) what does it mean if I didn't run out of gas because it wasn't nearly 1.5 times longer than traditional maps tell me?
God forbid anyone challenge your beliefs, lest you be forced to defend or change them.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 05:09:48 PM »
Distance can be a subjective thing. 

TheGreatGray

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »
Please elaborate on how. I have always been under the impression that physical attributes are objective things, that exist and are true regardless of testing or observation. 5 meters is always 5 meters.
God forbid anyone challenge your beliefs, lest you be forced to defend or change them.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »
Please elaborate on how. I have always been under the impression that physical attributes are objective things, that exist and are true regardless of testing or observation. 5 meters is always 5 meters.
But for some things, 5 meters might be a long way away, while others it might be really close.  So distance is subjective.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 05:20:18 PM »

You are not close to me.  That is an observation that is not objective.  Please, measure my statement. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:28:23 PM by jroa »

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »

You are not close to me.  That is an observation that is not subjective.  Please, measure my statement.

It depends on what time in pounds is the length of the spaghetti sauce, but you should be able to measure it last year on the 40th.
Turkish joke. A prisoner goes to the jail's library to borrow a book. The librarian says: "We don't have this book, but we have its author"

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 05:29:18 PM »
Exactly.

TheGreatGray

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »

You are not close to me.  That is an observation that is not objective.  Please, measure my statement.
There are two types of descriptions. Qualitative (Traits that are observed and subjective.) and quantitative (Objective, numerical truths). Yours is qualitative. I can also say you are close to me, relative to my distance to the sun

He is referring to a quantitative description. A quantitative description would not say whether the distance is big or small, only what that distance is. What distance, in miles or kilometers, is between Beijing and Washington DC?

Poko

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
We've been over this, jroa. "You are 5 meters away from me" is an observation. "You are close to me" is an interpretation of that observation. Besides, this is off topic and has nothing to do with measuring the distance between two cities.
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 06:00:17 PM »
People are so mad and angry.  Why are you so mad and angry?  ???

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 06:13:09 PM »
It depends on what time in pounds is the length of the spaghetti sauce, but you should be able to measure it last year on the 40th.
I am a little curious.  Is someone suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder (again)?  Forgive me if I am wrong.

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
http://www.distancefromto.net/
11158.08 km == 6933.31 miles === 6024.88 nautical miles
A nautical mile (symbol M, NM or nmi) is a unit of distance, set by international agreement as being exactly 1,852 meters (about 6,076 feet).

The metre, American spelling meter, (from the Greek noun μέτρον, "measure") is the base unit of length in the International System of Units (SI). The SI unit symbol is m.[1] The metre is defined as the distance travelled by light in a specific fraction – about one three-hundred millionth – of a second.[2]

The metre was originally defined in 1793 as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole. In 1889,

it was redefined in terms of a prototype metre bar (the actual bar used was subsequently changed twice). In 1960, the metre was redefined in terms of a certain number of wavelengths of a certain emission line of krypton-86. In 1983, the current definition was adopted. In 1959, the imperial inch was re-defined as 0.0254 metres (2.54 centimetres or 25.4 millimetres). One metre is about 3 3⁄8 inches longer than a yard, i.e. about 39 3⁄8 inches.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

JustThatOneGuy

• Expect to see activity bursts and stops.
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
Because, they have read your commentary to the point where you automatically induce an anger response upon showing up in their forum.
Nah, I'm just here to correct your grammar. The Earth's still round, though.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 09:35:39 PM »
Before you illustrate your method, please try to provide a definition of distance.
On any "smooth" sufrace you measure the distance by finding a geodesic curve. Then the distance is the length of the geodesic.

On a sphere geodesics are arcs of the unique great circle passing through two given point.

On a flat surface - unique segment whose ends are given points.

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 04:18:55 AM »
Derailing again. What does this have to do with the OP?
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 04:32:13 AM »
Distance is subjective? What?
Is time also subjective?

So, if my boss tells me, he need this paper done within the next 4 hours, I can give him the papers next week and say, time is subjective?

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 04:35:46 AM »
There are two types of descriptions. Qualitative (Traits that are observed and subjective.) and quantitative (Objective, numerical truths). Yours is qualitative. I can also say you are close to me, relative to my distance to the sun

He is referring to a quantitative description. A quantitative description would not say whether the distance is big or small, only what that distance is. What distance, in miles or kilometers, is between Beijing and Washington DC?

This is by far the best description of the subject, well, rather the derailing comment about "distance being subjective".
I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)

TheGreatGray

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 09:29:17 AM »

This is by far the best description of the subject, well, rather the derailing comment about "distance being subjective".

Thank You. You can look at the thread I created to see a thread he managed to completely derail. I didn't want to let it happen here.

To put it simply, answer the question, or admit you can't. If the Earth were flat, this would be an easy question to answer, seeing as planes have to fly from Washington DC to Beijing all the time (They are both major cities and national capitals). You should easily be able to tell me how to find distance between any to points and what that distance is. If you can't, then it only makes sense to believe the Earth is a sphere, because we know the measurements, how to make these measurements, and a pilot could test these themself to prove their accuracy.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
Because, they have read your commentary to the point where you automatically induce an anger response upon showing up in their forum.

Their forum?  I am sorry, but perhaps you and these people you refer to missed the fact that this is The Flat Earth Society. 

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 02:56:06 PM »

Their forum?  I am sorry, but perhaps you and these people you refer to missed the fact that this is The Flat Earth Society.

Mission: Derail thread
Mission complete.

Hey jroa, how would you quantitatively measure the distance between Washington DC and Beijing?

JustThatOneGuy

• Expect to see activity bursts and stops.
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »

It's their forum now, they've taken over ;D
Nah, I'm just here to correct your grammar. The Earth's still round, though.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 08:02:10 PM »

It's their forum now, they've taken over ;D

Well, the parts we're allowed to debate FE that is.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 08:57:05 PM »
I think that he is asking for a specific answer to the method for how it is done. Just out of curiosity, according to the Flat Earth, what is this distance? What is the radius of the Earth? What is the distance from East to West of Australia? If I took a car and drove this distance, using the amount of gas projected for the round Earth Model (based on miles per gallon) what does it mean if I didn't run out of gas because it wasn't nearly 1.5 times longer than traditional maps tell me?

Thus from purely practical data, setting all theories aside, it is ascertained that the diameter of the earth, from the Ross Mountains, or from the volcanic mountains of which Mount Erebus is the chief, to the same radius distance on the opposite side of the northern centre, is more than 10,400 miles; and the circumference, 52,800 statute miles.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za22.htm
If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

?

luxq2170

?

luxq2170

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 09:51:29 PM »

Thanks for answering. It might be or might be not. I didn't claim that it is objective.
However I would really appreciate if you could provide your method to measure the distance, or give a definition.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 07:37:37 AM »

Thanks for answering. It might be or might be not. I didn't claim that it is objective.
However I would really appreciate if you could provide your method to measure the distance, or give a definition.

A long meter stick, perhaps?