The Flat Earth Society Mission Statement and History...

• 16 Replies
The Flat Earth Society Mission Statement and History...
« on: December 14, 2015, 07:40:15 PM »
Mission Statement

The mission of the Flat Earth Society is to promote and initiate discussion of Flat Earth theory as well as archive Flat Earth literature.  Our forums act as a venue to encourage free thinking and debate.

History of the Flat Earth Society

The modern age of the Flat Earth Society dates back to the early 1800s, when it was founded by Samuel Birley Rowbotham, an English inventor. Samuel Rowbotham's Flat Earth views were based largely on literal interpretation of Bible passages. His system, called Zetetic Astronomy, held that the earth is a flat disk centered at the North Pole and bounded along its 'southern' edge by a wall of ice, with the sun, moon, planets, and stars only a few hundred miles above the surface of the earth. After Rowbotham's death in 1884, followers of his Zetetic Astronomy founded the Universal Zetetic Society.

Flat Earth theory spread to the United States, largely in the town of Zion, Illinois where Christian Catholic Apostolic Church founder John Alexander Dowie and later Wilbur Glenn Voliva promoted Flat Earth theory. Voliva died in 1942 and the church quickly disintegrated. Flat Earthism remained in Zion, gradually becoming less popular into the 1950s.

The International Flat Earth Society was formally founded in 1956 by Samuel Shenton, a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and the Royal Geographic Society. Shenton died in 1971 and Charles K. Johnson became president of the International Flat Earth Society. Johnson actively and charistmatically promoted the Society and, over time, its membership increased to over 3,000. His wife Marjory took an active role in the Society as well, often contributing articles to the Flat Earth Society Newsletter.

In 1995, a fire destroyed the Johnson's home as well as all of the Flat Earth Society's library, archives and membership lists. Following a long period of poor health, Charles K. Johnson's wife Marjory Johnson passed away in 1996. He vowed to rebuild the society. Sadly, Charles K. Johnson passed away in 2001 at the age of 76, leaving the Society's future uncertain.

After several years of inactivity, the Flat Earth Society was resurrected in 2004 and remains active today at theflatearthsociety.org.  The Society officially reopened to new members on 30th October 2009.

I am new to the forum, so posting in Q&A and reading the Mission Statement and History of Flat Earth just now.

Let's have a look at it in detail:

Mission Statement

The mission of the Flat Earth Society is to promote and initiate discussion of Flat Earth theory as well as archive Flat Earth literature.

"Promote and initiate discussion"

I like that

But could it also read...?

"Promote [...] Flat Earth theory..."

???

"archive Flat Earth literature"

Again I like it. Archiving information and especially about the planet we live on should be encouraged at all times.

But what does "literature" mean? In the scientific sense, "literature" means publications. Scientific texts about things we are curious of and want to understand their nature, causes and effects.

Given that the peer review process of many journals is flawed and far from open, fair and balanced, have there been any attempts to propose any publications of scientific value to any Earth Science journal about non-mass, yet electromagnetics driven Flat Earth?

"...Flat Earth theory..."

It is called a "theory" in the Mission Statement. For Flat Earth to be a theory it has to adhere to two main characteristics, unless the wording does not refer to a scientific theory, yet some other kind of theory... an idea, at most:

1 - tested hypothesis - an hypothesis needs to be made and if the observations (measurements, data, open to everyone to gather around this beautiful blue-green planet of ours) confirm the hypothesis without a doubt, it can pass
2 - predictability - a tested hypothesis in the present is useless if it does not predict events in the future. In order to call Flat Earth a (scientific) theory one needs to be able to predict new events with the tested hypothesis

The present-day widely accepted Spherical Earth model (not: Round Earth, as Flat Earth is Round itself) is able to predict solar and lunar eclipses, the most obvious and frequent of the interactions of the "closest" celestial bodies; Earth, Sun and Moon. No need to rely on special relativity or 'imaginary images' of galaxies far far away to check this interaction.

As far as I know and I am always open to be convinced of contrary views, yet not easily, there have been no predictions published based on Flat Earth. Last September we experienced a glorious lunar eclipse and while sitting on the street looking at our fading and returning closest celestial neighbor I chuckled about the Flat Earthers. Not only how to explain the curved shadow on the Moon (what is it if it's not the edge of the Earth?), but rather how would they explain the whole thing anyway. And predict them...

Our forums act as a venue to encourage free thinking and debate.
That is praised from my side at all times again...

History of the Flat Earth Society

The modern age of the Flat Earth Society dates back to the early 1800s, when it was founded by Samuel Birley Rowbotham, an English inventor.

An English, sorry, but... inventor??  :o

So the whole society is based on someone who invents things? Wow, that's obvious as a lighthouse with amazingly strong light seen from the Irish west coast but actually in New York!

Samuel Rowbotham's Flat Earth views were based largely on literal interpretation of Bible passages.

Oh, so that's an even stronger argument! Literal interpretation of Bible passages?! Then it must be true. Just as coming people out of ribs is true. The separation of the Red Sea is definitely true. And you can walk over it. Without ice ages, because the Earth is 6019 years old...

But I wonder. I met fellow member Luke today and he is a christian and says in his signature that the Bible states the Earth is round? Not spherical, ok, but round. So flat and round. So dish-shaped? He bases his views partly on the Bible and the foundation of this whole thing as well. Yet you do not agree? If the Bible is the only valid source of the shape of the Earth, how come you two disagree? The holy texts should be indisputably obvious, not?

His system, called Zetetic Astronomy, held that the earth is a flat disk centered at the North Pole and bounded along its 'southern' edge by a wall of ice, with the sun, moon, planets, and stars only a few hundred miles above the surface of the earth. After Rowbotham's death in 1884, followers of his Zetetic Astronomy founded the Universal Zetetic Society.

What? Even the stars "a few hundred miles"?

How can a Sun. which needs to be spherical, even in Flat Earth, otherwise it can never look like a circle from every place every day on Earth, a tiny ball of, what is it, 32 miles across?, light and heat a complete planet of 100,000 times its size? That is some damn efficient little unclear reactor at work there?! Some 10^15+ times stronger than the far away huge solar reactor in the Spherical Earth model?!

And yet that Sun looks equal in size from all locations on the planet all year round... That is outright impossible with a close tiny Sun.

Flat Earth theory spread to the United States, largely in the town of Zion, Illinois

You must be joking.   ::)

where Christian Catholic Apostolic Church founder John Alexander Dowie and later Wilbur Glenn Voliva promoted Flat Earth theory.

And 4 Capitals, Very Important...

Voliva died in 1942 and the church quickly disintegrated. Flat Earthism remained in Zion, gradually becoming less popular into the 1950s.

Not surprising, just when commercial airlines were booming... People saw for themselves that a Flat Earth is impossible...

The International Flat Earth Society was formally founded in 1956 by Samuel Shenton, a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and the Royal Geographic Society.

Eh, ok, Sammy Shenton, who are you...?

Samuel Shenton was a signwriter, [...] who by the 1920s claimed to have invented an airship that would rise into the atmosphere and remain stationary until the earth spun westwards at 1,000 km/h (620 mph) to the desired destination at the same latitude.

Well, did it work out, this "invention"?

Shenton died in 1971 and Charles K. Johnson became president of the International Flat Earth Society.

Charles K. Johnson
...the biblical truth (?) that the world was flat.
Originally an airplane mechanic in San Francisco...

Right.

Johnson actively and charistmatically [sic!] promoted the Society and, over time, its membership increased to over 3,000.

With some 5 billion people around who were not part of it a pretty minute number...

His wife Marjory took an active role in the Society as well, often contributing articles to the Flat Earth Society Newsletter.

Marjory held a Ph.D in Earth Sciences? Astronomer? Anyone of real scientific value?

In 1995, a fire destroyed the Johnson's home as well as all of the Flat Earth Society's library, archives and membership lists. Following a long period of poor health, Charles K. Johnson's wife Marjory Johnson passed away in 1996. He vowed to rebuild the society. Sadly, Charles K. Johnson passed away in 2001 at the age of 76, leaving the Society's future uncertain.

Tragic.

After several years of inactivity, the Flat Earth Society was resurrected in 2004 and remains active today at theflatearthsociety.org.  The Society officially reopened to new members on 30th October 2009.

Resurrected? Biblical.

And this is it? Some lines, nothing more? No presentation of the unfortunately obviously incorrect map of the Earth, easy-peasy to do if the Earth were Flat? No elaboration on the deliberate misrepresentation of curvature in the Spherical Earth?

Is this the Mission Statement and Undisputed-No-Escape-From-Flat-Electromagnetical-Earth-History that should convince people with more than 2 brain cells and enough observational abilities to believe the Earth is "Flat"? No self-respecting "alternative" platform would call itself a bunch of "believers". Calling a forum section that, is very telling.

As voluptuous Gaia, boiling with magma and scarred by plate tectonics, I feel quite offended, being called "flat"...  :'(

Two inventors, and an airline mechanic. Hilarious.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:46:40 PM by Gaia_Redonda »
I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
Re: The Flat Earth Society Mission Statement and History...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 07:53:20 PM »
You should've probably put this in the debate section. I have a feeling that this is going to get spicy. BTW, I should probably change my sig to say the earth is a globe to be more correct.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 02:45:52 AM »
I am sorry, but what exactly was your question in the OP? 

TheEarthIsASphere.

• who fucking cares what shape the earth is lol
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »

It's not a mission statement. Your precious FES mission statement and history is being ripped to shreds.
Quā ratiōne nōn redimus ad senectēs societātēs sapientium patrum? Quā ratiōne relinquimus eārum sapientiam?

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 01:06:25 PM »
The answer .Your just another facilitator for the agenda21 crew .What really is Hilarious is this is your 3rd forum entity ,after dismally failing twice before with promoting the  spherical bs.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:23:40 PM by Jack »
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

TheEarthIsASphere.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 01:25:13 PM »
The answer .Your just another facilitator for the agenda21 crew .What really is Hilarious is this is your 3rd forum entity ,after dismally failing twice before with promoting the  spherical bs.

Please find something constructive to say.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:24:11 PM by Jack »
Quā ratiōne nōn redimus ad senectēs societātēs sapientium patrum? Quā ratiōne relinquimus eārum sapientiam?

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 01:27:33 PM »
Charles Bloomington sounds native English, yet your spelling and grammar do not confirm that.

Either you must confuse me with someone else (in which case I feel offended for my apparent lack of uniqueness) or you definitely need to seek help for that attack of paranoia. Please, it is only for your own well-being.

I literally registered yesterday seeing this forum for the very first time in my life. Hence my surprises about the "Mission Statement" and people behind this biblical idea, long crushed by simple observations and mathematics as outlined and linked.

I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)

TheEarthIsASphere.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »
Charles Bloomington sounds native English, yet your spelling and grammar do not confirm that.

Either you must confuse me with someone else (in which case I feel offended for my apparent lack of uniqueness) or you definitely need to seek help for that attack of paranoia. Please, it is only for your own well-being.

I literally registered yesterday seeing this forum for the very first time in my life. Hence my surprises about the "Mission Statement" and people behind this biblical idea, long crushed by simple observations and mathematics as outlined and linked.

Just ignore Cahrles. Nothing constructive will ever come out of his mouth.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »

It's not a mission statement. Your precious FES mission statement and history is being ripped to shreds.

Funny how people have such a hard time understanding what a "Questions and Answers" forum is, am I right?  ::)

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 06:02:01 PM »

Funny how people have such a hard time understanding what a "Questions and Answers" forum is, am I right?  ::)

You mean to say that a Q&A section is not about asking questions (some general and specific ones can be found in the OP, one in bold shouldn't escape you) and expecting answers about the very basis of this whole thing?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 06:49:09 PM »

You mean to say that a Q&A section is not about asking questions (some general and specific ones can be found in the OP, one in bold shouldn't escape you) and expecting answers about the very basis of this whole thing?

The OP was a complaint about things you don't like.  You were not trying to become more educated, you were ranting.  We have a special forum just for that. 

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »
discussion of Flat Earth theory

This is the only part that is in error. It should read, discussion of Flat Earth Plane.
If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 02:31:04 AM »

Paranoia lol , crazzy as a cut snake possibly.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

TheEarthIsASphere.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 05:04:27 AM »

Paranoia lol , crazzy as a cut snake possibly.

Do you have anything constructive to say in response, or are you just going to act like a blithering fool?

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 08:21:33 AM »
You claim to be a talking planet. We can disregard everything you have to say.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 08:24:50 AM »

Who said that and where?
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 06:19:32 PM »
Lyndon, does that make you a red rain boots wearing piglet; a source to take very seriously indeed?  ;D