"Assault" weapons, what do you think about them?

• 66 Replies

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
Re: "Assault" weapons, what do you think about them?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »
It depends on how often both of those scenarios happens. As I meant to say earlier I rather have 100 gun deaths per year and only one burglary per year than 1 gun death per year and a hundred burglaries per day.

And you wouldn't get that. I've given the statistics, and the relative ratios. At no point are you going to get a hundred times the amount of anything.

Is this a thread for discussion, or are you just interested in repeating your opinion?

I'm just stating it as an example. Of course statistics like that don't happen all too often, but the principle does. UK might have a low gun crime rate, but they have a higher crime ratio than we do.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
This article shows that Germany has more crime rate.

http://extranosalley.com/?p=35064

This says otherwise.

Can I just ask, though.
Are you saying that lack of guns increases crime rate; or that presence of guns reduces crime rate; or both?

The link didnt work but yes, more guns in the hands of law abiding citizens decrease crime and the lack of guns increase crime.
Do you hold that this rule will work in all cases?

Sorry about the link, it was working when I embedded it.

Most cases yeah. Can you point where its not the case at least with law abiding armed citizens lowering crime rates?
Japan's gun ownership rate is lower than the US.
Japan's murder and overall crime rate is lower than the US.

Japan also has a higher suicide rate than the US.  Doesn't that imply that not owning enough guns causes people to commit suicide?
Maybe, but that is irrelevant to the discussion right now.
But there are also (most probably) other factors involved.

Luke said that lack of guns would increase crime.
He didn't mention other factors, he just said that lack of guns would increase crime.
I showed a case to the opposite, and I can show more if need be.

My point is the same as it was on my gun control thread.
If you say that guns cause any particular societal benefit, then the US should be leading in that societal benefit, due to their having the highest gun ownership rate in the world.

So, Luke, keeping that in mind, if guns cause there to be less crime (as you claim) then the US should have the lowest crime rate in the world.
They are taking the hobbits to Isengard.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »

This says otherwise.

Can I just ask, though.
Are you saying that lack of guns increases crime rate; or that presence of guns reduces crime rate; or both?

The link didnt work but yes, more guns in the hands of law abiding citizens decrease crime and the lack of guns increase crime.

Most cases yeah. Can you point where its not the case at least with law abiding armed citizens lowering crime rates?

Japan also has a higher suicide rate than the US.  Doesn't that imply that not owning enough guns causes people to commit suicide?

He didn't mention other factors, he just said that lack of guns would increase crime.

If you say that guns cause any particular societal benefit, then the US should be leading in that societal benefit, due to their having the highest gun ownership rate in the world.

So, Luke, keeping that in mind, if guns cause there to be less crime (as you claim) then the US should have the lowest crime rate in the world.
It is relevant to your strawman tactic.  You fail every time..   

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »

This says otherwise.

Can I just ask, though.

For your first pint I guess lack of guns doesn't automatically increase crime but that's the trend in most cases.

And as for your second point, we probably would be if states like New York, New Jersey, California, etc had less gun laws. They're the one leading in crime rate and jacking up the crime rate.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »

This says otherwise.

Can I just ask, though.

How is refuting an argument he posited a straw man?
Strictly speaking, he only alluded to that being his point, which was why I asked him to clarify whether or not it was indeed his point.
The point being that "More guns decrease crime and lack of guns increase crime"
That was his specific point.
Nothing to do with suicide.
By all means start another thread about suicide in Japan, but that is not relevant to this discussion right now.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2015, 05:57:49 PM »

This says otherwise.

Can I just ask, though.

Strictly speaking, he only alluded to that being his point, which was why I asked him to clarify whether or not it was indeed his point.
By all means start another thread about suicide in Japan, but that is not relevant to this discussion right now.

You are the one going on and on about statistics.  I only posted to show how foolish you are.  Do you want to go another round, Mr. Argumentum ad Populum? 

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2015, 08:28:45 PM »

This says otherwise.

Can I just ask, though.

You are the one going on and on about statistics.  I only posted to show how foolish you are.  Do you want to go another round, Mr. Argumentum ad Populum?
I'm going on about statistics that are relevant to the matter at hand.
Suicide and the causes thereof is not relevant to the current discussion.
Have you got that, Mr. Ignorando Punctum?