A Few Questions

• 10 Replies
?

A simple Skeptic

A Few Questions
« on: May 20, 2005, 09:23:01 PM »
Hello, I am a sceptic, yes. I do not believe you, but I do not want to insult your beliefs, and it has crossed my mind that this entire website could be a giant joke to get people to post idiotic and poorly spelt arguments and make themselves look like fools…

ie “IF we are FLAT then y doesnt all the land and water jsut slide of into space ? IT DOESNT U MORONS ITS ROUND thats y it stays in place if it WAS FLATE but its NOT it woud all slide into space!!”

For now I will assume it is not a joke, so I politely ask these questions, in hope of a straight answer (hopefully a scientific one too).

Let’s say this idea of gravity DOES work...

Then Lets question...

In this "gravitational system" what would cause a large spherical object, or even a large flat object (say "the moon"), to Orbit around our flat "planet".

I would also like to know how the horizons work according to the Flat Earth theory.

I also saw this map, which claims to depict a “flat earth”

It is claimed that Antarctica is the “ring of ice surrounding the earth”. Have you met any Antarctic Explorers to verify this? We can see where a "north pole" could be on this map, but what about the south Pole, where does that fit on this map if at all?

And lastly... why can I see the Southern Cross from The South Hemisphere (according to sphere-earth theory) and not the Northern Hemisphere? A flat Earth would require that all people could watch the same sky at the same time and thus always see the same stars. Well, that’s how I understand it.

I patiently await an answer from a Believer.

Re: A Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 11:58:53 PM »
No, I am not a believer in the Flat-Earth Hypothesis, but since I am trying to disprove the flat-earthers with at least a hint of logic, I'll answer your questions.

Quote from: "A simple Skeptic"
Let’s say this idea of gravity DOES work...
To the flat-earth hypothesis believers, gravity as we know it, where objects are attracted to the centre of the Earth, does not apply. Often it is a "mysterious force" which cannot be explained which attracts us to the Earth.

It is claimed that Antarctica is the “ring of ice surrounding the earth”. Have you met any Antarctic Explorers to verify this? We can see where a "north pole" could be on this map, but what about the south Pole, where does that fit on this map if at all?
No, they haven't, at least not out of their own will to do so. But I'm sure they have met some Antarctic explorers, who would only have tried to talk to them to talk them out of this ridiculous notion, they will say that the explorers, despite the fact that they have been to Antarctica, are wrong. Ignorance is one of the main features of flat-earthers.

And lastly... why can I see the Southern Cross from The South Hemisphere (according to sphere-earth theory) and not the Northern Hemisphere? A flat Earth would require that all people could watch the same sky at the same time and thus always see the same stars. Well, that’s how I understand it.
There are many hypthesises to this among the haphazard and contradictory flat-earthers, but the most common hypothesis is that a mysterious "invisible wall" blocks the stars, similar to the way they believe that the wall blocks sunlight in some areas to cause day and night simultaneously in different regions.
 never thought there could be more idiotic people than creationists, but after visiting this site, my belief is proven wrong.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
A Few Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 05:52:42 AM »
There are many hypthesises to this among the haphazard and contradictory flat-earthers, but the most common hypothesis is that a mysterious "invisible wall" blocks the stars, similar to the way they believe that the wall blocks sunlight in some areas to cause day and night simultaneously in different regions.

Imust say you've developed your arguments to a much better standard than back then ;)

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: A Few Questions
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 10:14:56 AM »
Quote from: "The Round-Earther"
There are many hypthesises to this among the haphazard and contradictory flat-earthers,

There you go with the accusations.  I'm still looking forward to demonstration that FEism is contradictory.

Oh and btw, you're not the round-Earther; you're just a round-Earther.  Haven't you heard, you come in six-packs?
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

RenaissanceMan

A Few Questions
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 11:22:20 AM »
That's a great map! Where did you get that map?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
A Few Questions
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 11:50:03 AM »
To the flat-earth hypothesis believers, gravity as we know it, where objects are attracted to the centre of the Earth, does not apply. Often it is a "mysterious force" which cannot be explained which attracts us to the Earth.

Ok, The Round-Earther, explain what gravity is on a RE.  Is it some sort of mysterious force, one which we don't know the origin of?
the most common hypothesis is that a mysterious "invisible wall" blocks the stars, similar to the way they believe that the wall blocks sunlight in some areas to cause day and night simultaneously in different regions.

Sounds like you made this one up.  I've never heard of an invisible wall that blocks visible light.  Isn't that a contradiction in itself?

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
A Few Questions
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 04:03:57 PM »
Um, no one noticed that the last post before mine was from a year ago?
 :lol:

?

quixotic

• Im a mushroomcloudlayin motherfucker, motherfucker
A Few Questions
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »
kekekekekke

Very, very schneaky rick.

You very schneaky man :lol:

Like...O M G ! ! ! He is, like, totally using the gun as like some kind of sexual weapon. O M G ! ! That is like, totally awesome! ! !

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
A Few Questions
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 05:43:17 PM »
I shaid, Jusht Parsh the ball to Harry, he'sh crazhy like fool....... :lol:

?

quixotic

• Im a mushroomcloudlayin motherfucker, motherfucker
A Few Questions
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 09:04:38 PM »
Hes crazy like a MOOSE

oooohh yea

Hes Aussie GUUS!!!

Like...O M G ! ! ! He is, like, totally using the gun as like some kind of sexual weapon. O M G ! ! That is like, totally awesome! ! !

A Few Questions
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 04:39:27 PM »
this entire website could be a giant joke to get people to post idiotic and poorly spelt arguments and make themselves look like fools…

I resent that.  I like to think I make good arguments.  And don't give FEers too much credit, they can sound just like the outraged REers as well.