Why does this seem like a "new" movement?

• 20 Replies
Why does this seem like a "new" movement?
« on: November 25, 2015, 09:48:35 PM »
I've read the history of the Flat Earth Society. I understand this idea/belief of the earth being flat is not new. Still...

Why does this flat earth movement seem to have gained significant attention only recently?

I was introduced to flat earth theory (FET) maybe four weeks ago and it immediately sparked my interest in learning more. I'm not a "flat earther" (I'm probably still a "round earther" if I had to chose), but I'm still open to the idea of the earth "not being a globe". When I started doing some research - first stops: Google and YouTube - I noticed that almost all the videos, articles, etc. about FET are very recent (most are newer than 2014).

Here are some the YouTube channels responsible for some of the most-popular videos concerning FET, and the upload date of their first FET video.

Eric Dubay - The Flat Earth Conspiracy - Nov 14, 2014.
markksargent - FLAT EARTH Clues Introduction - Feb 10, 2015.
Rob Skiba - 17 TFR Revolutionary Radio Project - Apr 17, 2015.
DITRH - Flat Earth weather map - May 30, 2015.
jeranism - The Dogmatic Globe Defenders - Oct 16, 2015.
TheNASAchannel - 1ST FLAT EARTH VIDEO 2011 - Mar 31, 2011 (oldest one I could find).

If you do a YouTube or Google search of anything related to flat earth, you'll see all the search results are very recent. Just curious if there's a reason it appears this way. Thanks.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Why does this seem like a "new" movement?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 09:55:50 PM »
It is indeed a recent increase in flat earth content on the web. A few years ago when I got here the only google results were this forum, alaska.net , and maybe one other website. The volume of FE videos has really increased recently.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »
This is the first time in history that something can be easily researched using your own tools. It is the first time powerful computers are available to anyone. The sharing of information has become widespread. Whole computer operating systems and thousands of programs have been released. Tens of thousands of books and articles are available. People help each other without expecting reward or profit. Freely received freely given. People are learning to think for themselves. Once aware of a truth by your own convictions there is no going back. The deception is broken.
If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:50:13 PM »
This is the first time in history that something can be easily researched using your own tools. It is the first time powerful computers are available to anyone. The sharing of information has become widespread. Whole computer operating systems and thousands of programs have been released. Tens of thousands of books and articles are available. People help each other without expecting reward or profit. Freely received freely given. People are learning to think for themselves. Once aware of a truth by your own convictions there is no going back. The deception is broken.

I understand all that. But the internet has been a common household tool since the early 2000s, at the latest. My question is more related to the very recent increase of content regarding flat earth (like hoppy mentioned). I was curious if something like, someone in the mainstream media recently saying something, or if something specific happened somewhere that caused this exponential growth in the volume of FE content in the last year or two.

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:10:57 PM »
Part of it may be the widespread distrust of government. If the government is willing to continually lie to the people then maybe anything could be a lie. After looking around and seeing lies exposed it catches on, a movement. This one is not going back into the box.

I gave this some more thought using the year 2000 as a starting point. In 2000 computers were not being used by non computer people. Example, I started using computers in 1980, but my wife did not start to really use them until recently. The big thing that stands out is the personal phone that is also a computer. First social media and now texting as king. Everyone you see is on their phone computer all day long. Things can go viral and be seen by millions in just a short while. It is like a huge party line phone of old, everyone listens in. Trends and fashion or just funny things ebb and tide daily. The Earth is flat, let's catch the wave.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:11:57 AM by ronxyz »

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 12:18:54 AM »
Don't ignore the possibilities of videos and channels being taken down. I have no doubt there are far more videos than you referenced that exist, but it's hard to find anything beyond a certain age. The internet is more popular and more powerful now than it once was, which may create more interest, but in relative terms...
http://fet.wikia.com
dualearththeory.proboards.com/
On the sister site if you want to talk.

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 12:26:49 AM »
Yes, I can attest to the web being swept clean of certain information. It is also blocked so it does not appear on search engines or the data is changed throughout the web. I have had a few things removed from my personal computer over the years. The long reach of the powerful knows no bounds it seems.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 01:31:41 AM »
Just remember that those who dictate the play in this world, are not stupid  or naive. They are genius tacticians. Masters in the art of manipulation and brainwashing, as well as muddying any waters that appear crystal clear.

This flat Earth movement looks fine in some parts but it is bathing in muddy waters, deliberately.
The problem is in finding who's doing the dirty.

You have many people championing a flat Earth is many ways, or even close to, but not quite flat, to various other shapes that go against a globe.

The problem is, it creates fighting among alternate questioner's. This is exactly why (if not careful) this free thinking  has to be respected among all, because nobody has the correct answers and all answers between differing theories can be picked at to gain a wider picture of potential reality as time goes on.

The issue is in weeding out the people who are muddying the waters  intentionally and are so believable to many that they follow that line of thought.

What you generally find with people who are spreading a so called truth? theory? story?...is that they tend to go hell for leather at it an d they end up filling the place full of you tube videos and plenty of script.
The videos can look brilliant or definitely plausible and easily capture the imagination of people.
The killer is when it is mixed with a lot of other stuff that looks unlikely or dubious or even downright piss taking and yet it scrambles your head because you start to wonder why they would put so much excellent stuff out, only to mix it with pure crap.

This is the water muddying tactic. It gets your head confused and starts you looking for other people who have similar thoughts. You then see a pattern and become even more confused, yet will usually stick to one person who appears to show a little more potential than another.
The major problem is when other people choose their favourite. All its created is a massive segregated mass of people who are at each other's throats and calling each other lunatic's and tin foil hats...not realising that the mainstream view is all those names apply to all, except those who follow mainstream views.

Free thinkers  are gaining massively. the issue is, none of us are really free thinkers. What many of us are, is, questioners. We question the stories told to us instead of blindly accepting them.
The problem with that is, our questioning can lead us down the wrong path among many paths,where you see many people taking many paths and all thinking they are the one on the right path, whilst the manipulators sit back laughing at the fact they've shown you the real path and painted it yellow for clarification and yet all they've had to tread on it, is the odd straggler who saw past the trickery.

Unfortunately those people likely don't  get too far down that path before being pushed off it or coaxed off it, if you get my meaning.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 06:28:53 PM »
I've read the history of the Flat Earth Society. I understand this idea/belief of the earth being flat is not new. Still...

Why does this flat earth movement seem to have gained significant attention only recently?

I was introduced to flat earth theory (FET) maybe four weeks ago and it immediately sparked my interest in learning more. I'm not a "flat earther" (I'm probably still a "round earther" if I had to chose), but I'm still open to the idea of the earth "not being a globe". When I started doing some research - first stops: Google and YouTube - I noticed that almost all the videos, articles, etc. about FET are very recent (most are newer than 2014).

Here are some the YouTube channels responsible for some of the most-popular videos concerning FET, and the upload date of their first FET video.

TheNASAchannel - 1ST FLAT EARTH VIDEO 2011 - Mar 31, 2011 (oldest one I could find).

If you do a YouTube or Google search of anything related to flat earth, you'll see all the search results are very recent. Just curious if there's a reason it appears this way. Thanks.

'Cause, this is a scientific revolution. Or counter-revolution, whatever term suits you better.

"Why does this flat earth movement seem to have gained significant attention only recently?"

'Cause the generation changed. About 20 years have passed. They call it "imprinting". To change a society, all you have to do is to stay long enough and tell your ideas to as many people as possible. They will laugh at you first - don't care. A new generation comes and imbibes you ideas, they become true for them.

That's the way it is. That's how it works.
 ;)
"It is not necessary that hypotheses should be true, or even probable; it is sufficient that they lead to results of calculation which agree with calculation".
Copernicus

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 08:15:39 PM »
The new generation sees the internet as a source of information. The older generations had other sources: schools, universities, libraries. All of the older generations' sources of information went through rigorous training or quality control to be put out there. With the internet however, anyone can publish a youtube video and claim to be spreading the truth.

Now that this new generation depends on the internet as a source of information, it is on them to decide what's legitimate knowledge and what's junk. So there has been a group building up from the internet information age. They have no quality control, no fact-checking, just continue building upon each other's youtube videos.

A new knowledge is rising out of the dusty books. A new knowledge that condemns the old system, spoon-fed knowledge, and studying. A knowledge that involves sitting in your living room and watching grainy videos of people telling you what they've learned from watching other grainy videos.

Knowledge will never be the same.

Actually, it will because universities are still a thing and people don't take you seriously in the real world if you want to claim you know things but you don't have a degree.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

?

tappet

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 10:05:05 PM »

Actually, it will because universities are still a thing and people don't take you seriously in the real world if you want to claim you know things but you don't have a degree.
I like that, its funny!

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 11:27:48 PM »

I like that, its funny!
Thanks!  :D :D
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 04:20:07 AM »
I'm still open to the idea of the earth "not being a globe". When I started doing some research - first stops: Google and YouTube - I noticed that almost all the videos, articles, etc. about FET are very recent (most are newer than 2014).

'Cause, this is a scientific revolution. Or counter-revolution, whatever term suits you better.

"Why does this flat earth movement seem to have gained significant attention only recently?"

'Cause the generation changed. About 20 years have passed. They call it "imprinting". To change a society, all you have to do is to stay long enough and tell your ideas to as many people as possible. They will laugh at you first - don't care. A new generation comes and imbibes you ideas, they become true for them.

;)
[/quote]
It is hard in Youtube itself to go back far, because it limits you to 1000 results and there are I tnimk about 900,000 "Flat Earth Matches".
But you can be more selective by searching in Google for say "Youtube Flat Earth", then under search tools put in a custom date range.  I tried 1/Jan/2010 to 31/Dec/2010 and got lots of matches, not all relevant, but a lot might interest you, eg:
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know - Flat Earth - YouTube
Flat Earth Society Has Evidence! - YouTube
Flat Earth Society, interview with Daniel Shenton ... - YouTube
THOMAS DOLBY (THE FLAT EARTH) - YouTube
Absolute Undeniable Proof of a Flat Earth - YouTube
I am sure you could go back further.  There is tons of stuff buried in Youtube's vault - I doubt the CIA, NASA, Freemasons, The Illuminati, the Brotherhood or even the Jesuits really troll through it.
Mind you the NSA might be another matter!  Just joking.
Happy hunting!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 04:42:27 AM »
I Address my previous post to "Humble_Scientist " and it should really have gone to you.  I hope "Humble_Scientist " is not too offended!
My previous post shows how you can find this old stuff if you really want to got back.
In case anyone wants to go back further, I did get some videos back in 2000, and wondered about:
"Flat Earth Society @ Stereokiller - Hardcore Band
flatearthsociety.stereokiller.com/
Jan 15, 2000 - Flat Earth Society (Hardcore) Band Bio: Flat Earth Society consists of 5 guys trying to accomplish one goal, making music that will move you. F.E.S prides itself ..."
But as the name suggests it is a "Hardcore Band" - not relevant here!

I have no idea of the quality of material back there, but it can be found.
Mind you I do hope you see the Heliocentric Globe model as fitting all observations better - giving due consideration to how that model was developed, but there should be enough old stuff on Youtube to make up your own mind.  Anyway it'll keep you out of mischief for a long time to come!

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 07:05:23 AM »
I have not used for a long time, but think there is someghing called " way back web" . It lets you see the internet as it was back on a particular past date.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
I find it funny that people only associate the FES with a web forum packed with trolls.  Did it ever occur to you people that the FES was around before the internet was even created by Al Gore? 

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 07:34:38 AM »

Conspiracy theorists are always try to do each other and come up with bigger and bigger conspiracies. One or 2 of them start with the "mother of all conspiracies" and before you know it all they are all piling in, like the sheep they are.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 10:43:12 AM »
I Address my previous post to "Humble_Scientist " and it should really have gone to you.  I hope "Humble_Scientist " is not too offended!
My previous post shows how you can find this old stuff if you really want to got back.
In case anyone wants to go back further, I did get some videos back in 2000, and wondered about:
"Flat Earth Society @ Stereokiller - Hardcore Band
flatearthsociety.stereokiller.com/
Jan 15, 2000 - Flat Earth Society (Hardcore) Band Bio: Flat Earth Society consists of 5 guys trying to accomplish one goal, making music that will move you. F.E.S prides itself ..."
But as the name suggests it is a "Hardcore Band" - not relevant here!

I have no idea of the quality of material back there, but it can be found.
Mind you I do hope you see the Heliocentric Globe model as fitting all observations better - giving due consideration to how that model was developed, but there should be enough old stuff on Youtube to make up your own mind.  Anyway it'll keep you out of mischief for a long time to come!

Why, I am not offended at all. I've been here for quite a while, for more than 10 years, perhaps. Even before "something" happened to the whole site and I had to re-register.

"the Heliocentric Globe model as fitting all observations better"
Actually, the geocentric model was fitting the observations much better when the heliocentric model was "proposed", so to speak. I remember I was quite surprised reading about that in the history of science.
 ::)

"Anyway it'll keep you out of mischief for a long time to come!"
Well, it seems to me that the only way to survive in this world is to become FEer and to shake off  the RET intellectual yoke. You see, RET implies that you can not perceive the world correctly. Therefore, you must believe some big brother who would explain to you the order of things.

Sometimes it may be vitally important. For example, somebody got cancer. The big brother tells you that this is an extremely complex problem to solve which they are raising money, hundreds gigadollars, by the way. A REer would likely pay all his/her money and perish in tortures, leaving nobody to complain. A perfect RE business model. However, if you are a FEer and, therefore, realize that they are lying to you, you can cure your own cancer, say, with soda and hydrogen peroxide, spending a few dollars.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:44:10 PM by Humble_Scientist »
"It is not necessary that hypotheses should be true, or even probable; it is sufficient that they lead to results of calculation which agree with calculation".
Copernicus

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 07:48:32 PM »
Very interesting and insightful inputs. Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 08:08:03 PM »
Everyone knows truth when they see it. Some choose to deny it. Once a lie is uncovered no amount lies can turn it into the truth, it will forever stand on it's own.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 04:51:54 AM »
 ;)
I made an earlier reply to post on Nov 28 stating that early Youtube videos CAN be located with a little effort!  There was a very loud silence about this evidence that OLD videos certainly CAN be found.
This was in response to "If you do a YouTube or Google search of anything related to flat earth, you'll see all the search results are very recent. Just curious if there's a reason it appears this way."
There seems to no evidence of any cover up that I can find.  Still Conspiracy Lovers are simply not happy unless they can find cover ups!
Is there a particular video you KNOW should be there.  If not maybe it would be wise to retract your "cover up" claims.  Still if it keeps you happy!
Here are a few old links:
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank"> "Earth's motion around the Sun, not as simple as I thought"
Aryan Navabi Uploaded on Jan 16, 2010
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank"> "Flat Earth Society, interview with Daniel Shenton, President of the Flat Earth Society" Uploaded on May 22, 2010
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank"> "Gravity doesn't exist/ the world is flat Persuasive Speech" ask8s Uploaded on Jul 6, 2010 -  to be taken with a big pinch of salt - by both FE and GE supporters.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank"> "Stuff They Don't Want You To Know - Flat Earth" HowStuffWorks  Uploaded on Jul 23, 2010
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank"> "The Earth is Flat, says the "Bible CommonReason Uploaded on Mar 31, 2009
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank"> "Introduction To Flat Earth Theory" Sarah Collins  Uploaded on Oct 12, 2008

I would like some assurance these are really as old as they say.  Maybe has a particular video that they cannot find!  What is missing?