Seasons don't work on a flat Earth model.

• 25 Replies

TheEarthIsASphere.

• who fucking cares what shape the earth is lol
Seasons don't work on a flat Earth model.
« on: November 21, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »
Everyone (should) know how the seasons work. They're caused by the tilt of the Earth on its axis as it orbits around the sun. In the southern and northern hemispheres, the seasons are always opposite of each other, e.g, winter in the north, summer in the south, spring in the north, fall in the south.

How does a flat Earth model explain this, if at all? Seems like this is a pretty good disproof of a flat Earth model.
Quā ratiōne nōn redimus ad senectēs societātēs sapientium patrum? Quā ratiōne relinquimus eārum sapientiam?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Seasons don't work on a flat Earth model.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
Everyone (should) know how the seasons work. They're caused by the tilt of the Earth on its axis as it orbits around the sun. In the southern and northern hemispheres, the seasons are always opposite of each other, e.g, winter in the north, summer in the south, spring in the north, fall in the south.

How does a flat Earth model explain this, if at all? Seems like this is a pretty good disproof of a flat Earth model.

You seem very closed minded to ask a question and then declare something to be a disproof before you have even received one answer.  It seems to me that you have already made your mind up and do not even want answers, so I am not going to waste my time giving you answers.  I doubt many others will  as well.   :-\

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 03:57:36 PM »

I'm open minded, how do you explain seasons?

You seem very closed minded to ask a question and then declare something to be a disproof before you have even received one answer.  It seems to me that you have already made your mind up and do not even want answers, so I am not going to waste my time giving you answers.  I doubt many others will  as well.   :-\
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 03:59:04 PM »
We would need to know the correct FE model to even attempt an answer but on the uniplaner model does the sun not spiral inwards and outwards
The complete opposite of the way we are living is much closer to the True nature of life on this earth. About Face!

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »
The tilting theory is a little weak. By the ball Earth theory the Sun is way out there. It is so far that the light hits Earth as straight 'rays'. The difference between the sunlight energy from top to bottom is very little in this model. It is been proven that the Earth generates more heat than it receives from the Sun. So the ball Earth Sun is not the major player in the seasons. As that the Earth is a flat plane the localized effects of the the Sun are more apparent, but the seasons still must be a result of other energies. The seasonal temperature changes to the surface are very shallow. Though winter nice warm days can still happen. If the ball Earth Sun was the determining factor this would be impossible as the output is fairly constant. The major heat of the Earths upper area is from stress and torquing below the surface. The generated heat is very slow to dissipate, so any area under this influence is warm and any areas not under this influence is cooler. With these things in consideration it points to a repeating flow, movement or pressure not the Sun.
If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

TheEarthIsASphere.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »
The tilting theory is a little weak. By the ball Earth theory the Sun is way out there. It is so far that the light hits Earth as straight 'rays'. The difference between the sunlight energy from top to bottom is very little in this model. It is been proven that the Earth generates more heat than it receives from the Sun. So the ball Earth Sun is not the major player in the seasons. As that the Earth is a flat plane the localized effects of the the Sun are more apparent, but the seasons still must be a result of other energies. The seasonal temperature changes to the surface are very shallow. Though winter nice warm days can still happen. If the ball Earth Sun was the determining factor this would be impossible as the output is fairly constant. The major heat of the Earths upper area is from stress and torquing below the surface. The generated heat is very slow to dissipate, so any area under this influence is warm any any areas not under this influence is cooler. With these things in consideration it points to a repeating flow, movement or pressure not the Sun.

You are aware of how powerful the sun is, right? Quoting an article:

The Sun's power (about 386 billion billion mega Watts) is produced by nuclear fusion reactions. Each second about 700,000,000 tons of hydrogen are converted to about 695,000,000 tons of helium and 5,000,000 tons (=3.86e33 ergs) of energy in the form of gamma rays. As it travels out toward the surface, the energy is continuously absorbed and re-emitted at lower and lower temperatures so that by the time it reaches the surface, it is primarily visible light. For the last 20% of the way to the surface the energy is carried more by convection than by radiation.
Source: http://nineplanets.org/sol.html

In case you can't read, I'll summarize it for you in a list. In just one second, the sun does all this:
  • Converts 700,000,000 tons of hydrogen into 695,000,000 tons of helium, andd 5,000,000 tons of energy in the form of gamma rays.
  • Produces about 386 billion billion megawatts of energy through nuclear fusion.
Still think the sun is some puny little light in the sky?
Quā ratiōne nōn redimus ad senectēs societātēs sapientium patrum? Quā ratiōne relinquimus eārum sapientiam?

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 04:32:11 PM »
How the ball Earth sun works is a theory on supported by any facts. Scientific tests done to detect neutrinos to support the ball Earth Sun model have come up short. It is not as you say, period.
 You can not have it both ways. On one hand you say that the ball Earth Sun is a huge powerful source that I can not comprehend and on the other a tiny little tilt makes one side warm and the other side cold. Not very logical and not likely to be a real world fact.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 04:40:43 PM by ronxyz »
If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

TheEarthIsASphere.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 06:42:24 PM »
How the ball Earth sun works is a theory on supported by any facts. Scientific tests done to detect neutrinos to support the ball Earth Sun model have come up short. It is not as you say, period.
 You can not have it both ways. On one hand you say that the ball Earth Sun is a huge powerful source that I can not comprehend and on the other a tiny little tilt makes one side warm and the other side cold. Not very logical and not likely to be a real world fact.

Neutrinos are in no way related to what the sun is! Neutrinos are ghostly particles that can pass though almost anything produced a supermassive red giant goes supernova. Again, not related to what are sun is.

On the subject of your "argument" about a warm and cold side of the Earth, I'll leave you with this: even though the sun is incredibly powerful, it's still 92,260,000 miles from the Earth. At this distance, the energy output of the sun is greatly dulled. In addition, the difference in temperature on opposite sides of the globe is not some huge temperature difference with a defined border. Your argument that this is "not logical" is what's not logical.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 06:56:52 PM »

You should change the header to

"Nothing really works on a flat Earth model, but let's be gentle and talk only about seasons here"

Flat earth is a combination of ad hoc explanations without any scientific evidence or review.

So it's not surprising that it explains everything wrong. And don't even bring DET to the table. It is even more insane.

TheEarthIsASphere.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »

"Nothing really works on a flat Earth model, but let's be gentle and talk only about seasons here"

Flat earth is a combination of ad hoc explanations without any scientific evidence or review.

So it's not surprising that it explains everything wrong. And don't even bring DET to the table. It is even more insane.

lol  ;D

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 10:03:21 PM »
We could bring - based on the "distance to the Sun is what causes sunsets and nights" that seasons cannot be caused by the Sun's distance alone. Also, if the sun really circled the Earth that way, the equator would have FAR more daylight time than anyone at southern Chile or Canada.

And, of course, no midnight Sun on Antarctica - EVER.

But who cares? A FE believer will just stroll here and call an ad hoc explanations for each one of these points, but that won't be coherent to one another.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 10:08:17 PM »
We could bring - based on the "distance to the Sun is what causes sunsets and nights" that seasons cannot be caused by the Sun's distance alone. Also, if the sun really circled the Earth that way, the equator would have FAR more daylight time than anyone at southern Chile or Canada.

But who cares? A FE believer will just stroll here and call an ad hoc explanations for each one of these points, but that won't be coherent to one another.
On the subject of Antarctica you can watch time-lapsed videos of the midnight sun down there.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 11:03:33 PM »

DET explains everything in a very different manner to RET, it actually makes a lot of sense, that is why you RE'ers don't want to go near it!
The complete opposite of the way we are living is much closer to the True nature of life on this earth. About Face!

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 11:12:56 PM »

On the subject of Antarctica you can watch time-lapsed videos of the midnight sun down there.

Yeah! That's right! That's one of so many points that disprove FE bullshit! But no, they won't accept that. They just make believe that it has some explanations, and then they make outrageous and stupid ad hoc explanations and even supreme garbage like Dual Earth.

That's why there's no flat earth believes in the space!

TheEarthIsASphere.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 03:04:28 PM »

Wonderful tactics Jroa. This sort of feels like a "oh shit this disproves FET let's just ignore it and let it slide away" momement to me.

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 01:31:24 AM »
How does a flat Earth model explain this, if at all?
FE model explain this by the Sun moving in and out (closer or further from the equator). That is the basic idea.

The idea is also based on the ~3000 miles distance. This distance was shown to be flawed and no FE was able to fix it or present any actual and working proof for any other distance.

You cannon expect the explaination in that manner - FE model has flawed basic assumption explaining seasons to occur.

At current stage I see FE model giving no explaination at all.

The tilt in RE model however explains this pretty easily. The fact the Earth is tilted forces the same amount of "sun light" to span across larger surface and reduce the angle for which the rays hit the surface. This means less heat is given to that part of the Earth, and so it is colder. The distance to Sun plays secondary role as it is responsible for milder winters on the northern hemisphere than on the southern.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 01:36:25 AM »
I did a lot of research on this flat earth season and day nights times across the world and it just doesn't add up.
For example when sun is the closest to the flat earth north pole ,it should put Argentina in a 2 to 4 month night cycle.
Also time zones day and night from Russia and Australia dont match up, many more to mention...
Also just for the record, I have flown direct flight from South Africa to Australia in 11 hours 6000miles, DIRECT, no stopover, this would have been impossible according to the flat earth model and distance..
I really tried hard to grasp the FE reasoning but way too many loop holes, almost as if people are bored with their lives and yearn to find something to keep them busy with.. So then along comes Eric with a plan to make all those bored people happy..
 :)
Keep it real guys the earth is NOT flat!

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 08:03:19 AM »
Seasons on a FE model are easily explained. According to Xavier Constantine a trappist monk from Belgium in the 13th century he proved without a shadow of a doubt that the sun functioned like a balloon whereby in thr summer months it would expand over the "summer" portion of the earth. Conversely in winter the sun would shrink producing a cooler climate. He presented his findings to Pope Leo X. He also claims to have proven that the sun is powered by a large glass mirror positioned behind it using Pythagorean principles. Therefore we know absolutely that the earth is flat.

...hahaha. Just messing with you. These people are bat shit crazy!

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »
A big thing I can't get my head round about the FE model is the idea that the sun is tiny and really close, when we have literally measured the physical distance we are from the sun. Unless the speed of light isn't constant (?!) D=v/t distance equals velocity divided by time. If we can measure the speed of light on earth, physically. and then reflect radio waves (that travel at the speed of light, which has also been measured) off of astronomical bodies. We get a distance.

I really can't see how anyone can rationally hold both the idea that the sun is 3,000 miles above the "surface", while also observing the experimental data that concludes the sun is 93 million miles away.

Maybe it's that those that believe the FE hypothesis don't understand the method through which we physically measure these physical distances. The most mind blowing concept is someone that does understand this process, while simultaneously holds the idea that the sun is only 3,000 miles away. That's literally the definition of irrationality.

what about the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn thing? I remember it being explained in another thread that the sun "circles" one in the summer and one in the winter, yet the sun's velocity and angular momentum stays constant!?!?! This idea alone breaks everything we know of basic physics and trigonometry. Completely aside from the volume of discrepancies regarding seasons, and the sun's behavior at the poles.

How do the FE folk manage to retain their sense of belief in the model under such obvious refutation? Any, like seriously, any sane person, whom holds an idea, that is shown so obviously to be false, would in every rational respect, concede that the idea is false.

What really fascinates me is the absolute double think involved in continually grasping on to an idea that reality continuously disproves, with this unassailable notion that the evidence to the contrary of this faith must be wrong, obviously with no coherent means of proving so, due to the reality of FE's falsity.

The mind truly boggles. It's cult level brainwashing. It's why I'm here really. I'm fascinated by the psychology of this little cult movement.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:59:42 AM by TigerWidow »

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 09:12:28 AM »
The reason FE'ers cannot accept scientific methods is due to "cognitive dissonance."  Anything that conventional wisdom/science produces as proof of a round universe surrounded by space is contradictory to their worldview and generates anger and discomfort.  They disregard any evidence as generally false so maybe an open debate here is really futile.  FE'ers have an ad hoc scientific model that negates every bit of scientific and empirical evidence and at the same time justifies even the most outlandish claims.  Then there is the clear fact that they do not use any provable measurements nor can they reproduce any of their findings.  If they state that the sun is 3,000 miles away then they better find a way to prove.  If they claim that the edge of the flat earth is surrounded by an icewall then they better prove it.  Of course they haven't and cannot. 

They claim that we live on a flat earth with a glowing ball 3,000 miles above the earth.  I already posed the question that they prove this by documenting the existence of this "sun" from various parts of the planet using x-ray imaging.  If they are so certain that the sun just floats around a disk then the position of the sun MUST be known at all times.  OF course we know that FE'ers have no clue how to prove their theories.  They could commission a university with a planetarium to prove their theory but of course we know this won't happen.  They just use circular arguments and obfuscate facts to the point where discussions become completely nonsensical.  Good luck trying to have an impact on these people...

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
The reason FE'ers cannot accept scientific methods is due to "cognitive dissonance."  Anything that conventional wisdom/science produces as proof of a round universe surrounded by space is contradictory to their worldview and generates anger and discomfort.  They disregard any evidence as generally false so maybe an open debate here is really futile.  FE'ers have an ad hoc scientific model that negates every bit of scientific and empirical evidence and at the same time justifies even the most outlandish claims.  Then there is the clear fact that they do not use any provable measurements nor can they reproduce any of their findings.  If they state that the sun is 3,000 miles away then they better find a way to prove.  If they claim that the edge of the flat earth is surrounded by an icewall then they better prove it.  Of course they haven't and cannot. 

They claim that we live on a flat earth with a glowing ball 3,000 miles above the earth.  I already posed the question that they prove this by documenting the existence of this "sun" from various parts of the planet using x-ray imaging.  If they are so certain that the sun just floats around a disk then the position of the sun MUST be known at all times.  OF course we know that FE'ers have no clue how to prove their theories.  They could commission a university with a planetarium to prove their theory but of course we know this won't happen.  They just use circular arguments and obfuscate facts to the point where discussions become completely nonsensical.  Good luck trying to have an impact on these people...

Very well said. Hit the nail on the head there. So then why do we hang around? :D I'm interested actually to find out how many FE believers stick around here for a longer amount of time. What the average time a believer spends active on this forum is (before realizing it's mental and leaving), the ratio of believers to non believers (it seems there are more non believers at the moment), and of that, I'm really interested in the arguments those believers that have been around for a long time. What kind of people they are, and how they've managed to retain such a heavy sense of, as you say, cognitive dissonance in the face of such constant rebutal from the reality of things.

I had a debate with an administrator as my first conversation on here, and even his argument quickly spiralled into complete self defeating nihilistic disregard for rationality, though he argued it very intellectually and made some interesting points, the fact remained that the only way he could pseudo-rationally hold his beliefs in the flat earth hypothesis is by denouncing any confidence in the literal function of rational thought. I don't think he realised that's what he was doing. It was the form and implication of his argument that ultimately lead to that conclusion among the contextual meandering of his various justifications.

I find it fascinating, this case is significant to me, because the admin I spoke to seems very intelligent and was able to hold sway in debating pretty complex concepts (not something I come across too often). Which in my opinion goes against someone holding such an inherently irrational idea. I mean the old saying goes "most intellectuals are atheists". So in this case it seems I found a rare case of one able to essentially think, obfuscating his potential contributions to true intellectual progress, by choosing, for reasons as mysterious as they are intriguing, to take a path not worth treading.

It's a real shame really from an empathic perspective, but as fascinating as it gets at the same time.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 12:13:20 PM »
Sure I followed your debate; fascinating points and well presented.  Yes, I saw that the admin could only discredit every valid point as lacking credibility.  You know this whole "grand conspiracy" point of view is simply insane.  I just can't avoid using that term because that is the only conclusion I can come to.  I am perplexed by what caused such paranoia in their lives to subscribe to such an outlandish world view.  I understand questioning 9/11, Kennedy Assassination, Iran-Contra, etc., but a flat earth? Why? Well, I have a theory that a lot of this FE stuff is being propagated by intelligence agencies to pull mental resources away from susceptible people.  It is simply too preposterous of a belief in the face of so much evidence to destroy it but at the same time there will always be a paranoid fringe that will always fall for this kind of stuff. 

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »
I did a lot of research on this flat earth season and day nights times across the world and it just doesn't add up.
For example when sun is the closest to the flat earth north pole ,it should put Argentina in a 2 to 4 month night cycle.
Also time zones day and night from Russia and Australia dont match up, many more to mention...
Also just for the record, I have flown direct flight from South Africa to Australia in 11 hours 6000miles, DIRECT, no stopover, this would have been impossible according to the flat earth model and distance..
I really tried hard to grasp the FE reasoning but way too many loop holes, almost as if people are bored with their lives and yearn to find something to keep them busy with.. So then along comes Eric with a plan to make all those bored people happy..

Could you please post your methods and data for peer review?  That would be great, since you seem to be the only person who does not understand how seasons work on a flat Earth.  Thanks. 

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Could you please post your methods and data for peer review?[1]  That would be great, since you seem to be the only person who does not understand how seasons work on a flat Earth.  Thanks.
I believe I understand quite well how the seasons are claimed to work on a flat Earth, but I do not believe that they DO work. I have asked the same questions many times. The "best answer" has been something akin to "bendy light" - in other words meaningless.

In your magic model please explain how at the equinox (yes, coming up in 2 weeks - so YOU can check it) the sun can manage to rise DUE east and set DUE west everywhere on earth.
While you are at it explain how on that day everywhere on earth gets just a little over 12 hours sunlight! (I won't count England, the sun rarely shines there).
If you doubt these things really happen on the real world, get out of your shell and observe things.

The very idea of "peer review" coming from the pen (oops, keyboard or pad) of a FEer does seem a bit of a stretch.
There are numerous ad hoc statements in "the Wiki" that simply do not stand up to scrutiny! Try:
The Lunar Eclipse
A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.
This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node).
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The shadow object is never seen because it orbits close to the sun.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
It is estimated that the Shadow Object is around five to ten miles in diameter. Since it is somewhat close to the sun the manifestation of its penumbra upon the moon appears as a magnified projection. This is similar to how during a shadow puppet show your hand's shadow can make a large magnified projection upon your bedroom wall as you move it closer to the flashlight.
"Shadow object" - evidence? It is "estimated" at "around five to ten miles in diameter" - this is a complete guess!
Who measured the "angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane" - yes Globe Earth astronomers! 

Then:
Magnification of the Sun at Sunset
Q. If the sun is disappearing to perspective, shouldn't it get smaller as it recedes?

A. The sun remains the same size as it recedes into the distance due to a known magnification effect caused by the intense rays of light passing through the strata of the atmosphere.
My most polite on this would be "hogwash", but if can come up with some actual peer-reviewed evidence it might change things!

All completely unsubstantiated!

[1]  ::) I did not konw you had a sense of humour! The whole idea of "peer review" and "flat earth" in the same paragraph just seems so funny!  ::)

[edit - removed quote]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:37:00 AM by rabinoz »

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 12:15:34 AM »
Look.  Let's just say it clearly to FE'ers; Seasons DO NOT WORK under your models.  They do not adequately explain anything.  It would be more logical for you to say that it's all "magic," because your explanations are simply too outlandish to accept.  Seasons?  How about simply proving that the sun is 3,000 miles away.  How do you even claim to know it's 3,000 (or any number) if you refuse to use science to validate your assumptions?  Go out and use an accepted method to measure that the sun is indeed 3,000 miles away and that it can be measured at all times of the day over the flat disk.  Proving something as simple as this should be a priori to proving that the earth is a disk.  Most of your assertions should be readily provable with technology that is available today yet you cannot prove any of your claims.  I can imagine your smug, petulant faces as your read this; "foolish sheep don't understand anything!" You people need to get help...

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 01:10:07 AM »
Look.  Let's just say it clearly to FE'ers; Seasons DO NOT WORK under your models.  They do not adequately explain anything.  It would be more logical for you to say that it's all "magic," because your explanations are simply too outlandish to accept.  Seasons?  How about simply proving that the sun is 3,000 miles away.  How do you even claim to know it's 3,000 (or any number) if you refuse to use science to validate your assumptions?  Go out and use an accepted method to measure that the sun is indeed 3,000 miles away and that it can be measured at all times of the day over the flat disk.  Proving something as simple as this should be a priori to proving that the earth is a disk.  Most of your assertions should be readily provable with technology that is available today yet you cannot prove any of your claims.  I can imagine your smug, petulant faces as your read this; "foolish sheep don't understand anything!" You people need to get help...
You are being unkind! If Erosthanes knew that the earth was flat his measurement would have made the sun at about 3,000 miles.
Of course we have:
According to this sacred text, in 1870 Rowbotham conducted an experiment to measure the distance of the sun. He arrived to a conclusion that the sun was ........ only 700 miles above his earth!!!
See more details in that post.
The only problem that no  Flat Earther seems to take seriously is that the answer you get depends entirely on what spacing you take the measurement over.  For example at an equinox, if one observer is on the equator and the other on the same longitude and at various latitudes, we get the following figures for sun height.
LatitudeGround DistanceSun ElevSun Height
30.0°
2071 miles
60.0°
3587 miles
45.0°
3107 miles
45.0°
3107 miles
60.0°
4142 miles
30.0°
2392 miles
75.0°
5178 miles
15.0°
1387 miles
Note that these are purely calculated figures, based on a globe earth.  What is needed is some keen Flat Earthers living in suitable locations to actually measure these angles on the real earth to see what agreement there is.
Is that asking too much?