FE General "Conspiracy Topics belong here" NSA and Snowden article

• 5 Replies
This is a great read

Some excerpts:

You’ve said that if it hadn’t been for Thomas Drake…
– …there couldn’t be an Edward Snowden. He followed every rule when he tried to raise the alarm. We see this in game theory, in sociological studies. Basically, each time you play a round of a game, people learn a little bit about it. They change their strategy and respond to it, so the way people play round ten is very different from round one.
And you learned from Drake…
– And even from Manning. I learned a lot from how the government responded. What happens when you’re required to report violations of a law to those who ordered those violations of the law?

Was it the mass surveillance or the lies about it that upset you the most?
– In early 2013, when I still had the chance to change my mind, I saw James Clapper (Director of National Intelligence) raise his hand and swear to tell the truth: ”Does the NSA collect any type of data at all on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans?” ”No sir.” “It does not?” “Not wittingly.”
– Telling a lie under those circumstances is a felony.
The year before, Congress had questioned NSA Director Keith Alexander. His answers were the same. Does the NSA routinely intercept American citizens’ emails? No. Does the NSA intercept Americans’ cell phone conversations? No. Google searches? No. Text messages? No. Amazon.com orders? No. Bank records? No.
Edward Snowden not only knew they were lying, but also that the scope was much larger than anyone could imagine. During a 30 day period, the NSA intercepted more than three billion individual conversations just from American communication systems. 97 billion emails and 124 billion phone calls worldwide, in just one month’s time.
At his own desk, Edward Snowden could listen in on anyone – ordinary people, someone’s accountant, a federal judge – as long as he had a private email address.
Being a whistleblower is not about who you are; it’s about what you’ve seen. Whistleblowers are elected by circumstance, anybody can do it. It’s about people who watch, who think, and who eventually respond. And it takes a number of years. When I first saw things, I really didn’t believe them. I grew up in the shadow of the NSA, my mother worked for the federal government, my father and my grandfather worked for the military. I couldn’t believe the government would lie to us. But eventually the evidence becomes so great that you can’t ignore it.

http://fokus.dn.se/edward-snowden-english/
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: FE General "Conspiracy Topics belong here" NSA and Snowden article
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:26:33 AM »
This is a great read

Not really.  It is tl;dr.  Can you summarize it?

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:33:57 AM »
Summary: CIA is asshats
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »
This is a great read

Not really.  It is tl;dr.  Can you summarize it?
I did here:
– Being a whistleblower is not about who you are; it’s about what you’ve seen. Whistleblowers are elected by circumstance, anybody can do it. It’s about people who watch, who think, and who eventually respond. And it takes a number of years. When I first saw things, I really didn’t believe them. I grew up in the shadow of the NSA, my mother worked for the federal government, my father and my grandfather worked for the military. I couldn’t believe the government would lie to us. But eventually the evidence becomes so great that you can’t ignore it.

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 02:25:29 AM »
What does nsa do, anything they want. Those are some pretty good deceptions. Sadly just a peak in the shadow. To think they would not deceive about the real state of your existence is a bit naive. They have convinced many that the world is not flat.
If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 03:57:37 PM »
To think they would not deceive about the real state of your existence is a bit naive.

To think that you live in submission to a conspiracy and don't bother to buy telescope and look at the state of your own existence in the universe is pathetic.