Why we don't feel Earth's movement.

• 52 Replies
Why we don't feel Earth's movement.
« on: November 13, 2015, 07:59:26 AM »
I've seen several videos of people saying: "If Earth was really round, we would feel the spinning force".
I am simply amazed at the size of ignorance and stupidity coming from people using this argument as a "proof" that Earth is flat.

Let me explain why we can't feel anything from the Earth's spin.
Most people will say that: "We do not feel any of this motion because these speeds are constant". That's not the correct explanation. While the value of speed at any moment is constant, the direction of the movement is changing with every moment. Example: if you're driving a car on a circular track at a constant speed, you WILL be feeling the effects of centrifugal force, because the direction you're going in is changing at every moment.

Going by the same logic, if the Earth is spinning at a constant speed, we should be feeling a force caused by this movement. And we actually do!
The reason why we don't feel it, is because the force is so small, it's impossible to detect by a human body.

Let's take a look at the "extreme case" when someone lives on the Equator. The Earth spins at the Equator at approximately 1675 km/h, which is about 465,3 m/s. Earth's radius is 6.38*10^6 m. The value of centrifugal force depends on our mass, so let's say an average human weighs 75 kg. The centrifugal force can be calculated using a simplified equation: F = (m*v*v)/r.
F = (75*465,3*465,3)/(6,38*10^6) = 2,55 N.
How does it compare to the force of gravity that affects that person?
Fg = 9,81 * 75 = 735,75 N.

We can see that the centrifugal force at the Equator is 288 times weaker than the force of gravity. This is why we can't feel it.
If the Earth was spinning 10 times faster, the centrifugal force would be only 2,88 times weaker than the force of gravity. If that was true, we could "feel" that we weight less on the Equator than we weight near the poles.

ronxyz

• technologist
Re: Why we don't feel Earth's movement.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 11:31:41 AM »
You are using the gravity theory that only exists in the general theory of relativity. You can not use a theory to prove a theory, so your argument is moot.
If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 11:52:58 AM »
You are using the gravity theory that only exists in the general theory of relativity. You can not use a theory to prove a theory, so your argument is moot.

Why can't a theory be used to prove a different theory?

I take you don't understand what a theory is.....
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:11:07 PM »
If you want to deny theory of gravity, please present a better theory. That's how it works in science. Unless a better theory is found, the current theory stands.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
If you want to deny theory of gravity, please present a better theory. That's how it works in science. Unless a better theory is found, the current theory stands.

Universal Acceleration (UA)

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »

Universal Acceleration theory denies Gravity theory. But at the same time, UA is relying on Relativity theory, and Relativity accepts the existence of Gravity. Contradiction much?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »

Universal Acceleration theory denies Gravity theory. But at the same time, UA is relying on Relativity theory, and Relativity accepts the existence of Gravity. Contradiction much?

The Equivalence Principle does not rely on gravity, or any other theory.  It is its own principle.  You are new to science, are you not? 

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »
You're saying that UA accepts special relativity, but denies general relativity?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »
General Relativity was built upon Special Relativity.  Are you really this retarded, or just acting like you are? 

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »

Since the Topic is "Why we don't feel Earth's movement.", it seems utterly ingenuous to bring up UA, which can only be relevant to the flat earth.
I thought that the Flat Earth was supposedly stationary, apart from a slight upward motion of around 99.999999999999999999% of c - just a minor matter.
Surely the topic is only relevant as an argument against (or for) a rotating globe!

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »
Since the Topic is "Why we don't feel Earth's movement.", it seems utterly ingenuous to bring up UA, which can only be relevant to the flat earth.
I thought that the Flat Earth was supposedly stationary, apart from a slight upward motion of around 99.999999999999999999% of c - just a minor matter.
Surely the topic is only relevant as an argument against (or for) a rotating globe!
This makes no sense.  Please try again.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 01:50:45 AM »
General Relativity was built upon Special Relativity.  Are you really this retarded, or just acting like you are?

Insults aside, please stop claiming UA fits into Relativity ... do I really have to point out my journey through UA again?

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=64745.0

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 04:24:20 AM »

I answered a question.  I am sorry that you did not like my answer, but it was an answer. 

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 05:15:36 AM »
I've seen several videos of people saying: "If Earth was really round, we would feel the spinning force".
I am simply amazed at the size of ignorance and stupidity coming from people using this argument as a "proof" that Earth is flat.

Most people will say that: "We do not feel any of this motion because these speeds are constant". That's not the correct explanation. While the value of speed at any moment is constant, the direction of the movement is changing with every moment. Example: if you're driving a car on a circular track at a constant speed, you WILL be feeling the effects of centrifugal force, because the direction you're going in is changing at every moment.

Going by the same logic, if the Earth is spinning at a constant speed, we should be feeling a force caused by this movement. And we actually do!
The reason why we don't feel it, is because the force is so small, it's impossible to detect by a human body.

Let's take a look at the "extreme case" when someone lives on the Equator. The Earth spins at the Equator at approximately 1675 km/h, which is about 465,3 m/s. Earth's radius is 6.38*10^6 m. The value of centrifugal force depends on our mass, so let's say an average human weighs 75 kg. The centrifugal force can be calculated using a simplified equation: F = (m*v*v)/r.

We can see that the centrifugal force at the Equator is 288 times weaker than the force of gravity. This is why we can't feel it.
If the Earth was spinning 10 times faster, the centrifugal force would be only 2,88 times weaker than the force of gravity. If that was true, we could "feel" that we weight less on the Equator than we weight near the poles.

We don't feel the Earth's movement because it isn't moving. Gravity isn't real. You're chasing your tail around.
Flat vs. Round is a distraction aimed at covering the REAL truth.

The donut-shaped Earth is the only way, the light and salvation.

Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. [John 8:32]

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 05:29:48 AM »

We don't feel the Earth's movement because it isn't moving. Gravity isn't real. You're chasing your tail around.

Are you now claiming that the Earth is stationary and does not move?  You roundies change your theories so often that it is hard to keep up. 

Yendor

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 07:24:54 AM »
I can't understand how people can think they wouldn't feel the Earth spin at 394 m/s or almost 1/4 mile per second at the equator. the world's fastest dragster takes 3.58 seconds to go a 1/4 mile. Watch this video and and imagine the car getting down to the end of the 1/4 mile in 1 second. That is how fast the Earth is supposed to be spinning. Do you honestly think you wouldn't feel that.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 08:08:14 AM »
I can't understand how people can think they wouldn't feel the Earth spin at 394 m/s or almost 1/4 mile per second at the equator. the world's fastest dragster takes 3.58 seconds to go a 1/4 mile. Watch this video and and imagine the car getting down to the end of the 1/4 mile in 1 second. That is how fast the Earth is supposed to be spinning. Do you honestly think you wouldn't feel that.

If the ground, everything on it, and air are all moving the same speed as you, why would you feel motion?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »
The Equivalence Principle does not rely on gravity, or any other theory. 
But it does rely on a homogeneous gravitational field, which the earth does not have.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 08:57:08 AM »
I can't understand how people can think they wouldn't feel the Earth spin at 394 m/s or almost 1/4 mile per second at the equator. the world's fastest dragster takes 3.58 seconds to go a 1/4 mile.
You don't feel speed, you feel acceleration.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 12:48:59 PM »
I can't understand how people can think they wouldn't feel the Earth spin at 394 m/s or almost 1/4 mile per second at the equator. the world's fastest dragster takes 3.58 seconds to go a 1/4 mile.
You don't feel speed, you feel acceleration.
Uh, hate to break it to you, but an object on a rotating body is constantly accelerating.

-- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 12:50:54 PM »
Insults aside, please stop claiming UA fits into Relativity ... do I really have to point out my journey through UA again?
Didn't I embarrass you enough the first time?  Your 'understanding' of Relativity was laughable.  And I laughed.  A lot.

-- Bob Hudson

Yendor

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »

If the ground, everything on it, and air are all moving the same speed as you, why would you feel motion?

The air does not move at the same speed as me, especially during a hurricane. Are you saying that when you are on a spinning merry-go-round you don't feel motion. The ground, (platform in this example) and everything on it, (meaning you in this example) and you don't feel motion? You should see a doctor, because I sure feel motion.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »

The air does not move at the same speed as me, especially during a hurricane. Are you saying that when you are on a spinning merry-go-round you don't feel motion. The ground, (platform in this example) and everything on it, (meaning you in this example) and you don't feel motion? You should see a doctor, because I sure feel motion.

Well, that was exactly my question asked here a long time ago. According to RE, the so called equator moves with supersonic speed. 40000000 m/(3600*24) s= 463 m/s, sound speed is about 330 m/s, as far as I remember. The air, by definition, can not move with supersonic speed. Anyone noticed a refreshing equatorial supersonic breeze?

Suppose somehow the air over RE moves together with the surface. Then we have yet another problem. The linear surface speed at the equator is supersonic. The linear surface speed at the poles is 0 (zero). As we know, the transition from subsonic to supersonic speed and vice versa produces powerful shock waves. Where are they?
"It is not necessary that hypotheses should be true, or even probable; it is sufficient that they lead to results of calculation which agree with calculation".
Copernicus

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2015, 03:49:13 PM »

Well, that was exactly my question asked here a long time ago. According to RE, the so called equator moves with supersonic speed. 40000000 m/(3600*24) s= 463 m/s, sound speed is about 330 m/s, as far as I remember. The air, by definition, can not move with supersonic speed. Anyone noticed a refreshing equatorial supersonic breeze?

Suppose somehow the air over RE moves together with the surface. Then we have yet another problem. The linear surface speed at the equator is supersonic. The linear surface speed at the poles is 0 (zero). As we know, the transition from subsonic to supersonic speed and vice versa produces powerful shock waves. Where are they?
Supersonic relative to what?

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2015, 03:59:29 PM »

Brethren, I seriously think a musem of brilliant RE questions should be founded here. THAT would be the first, precious item.
"It is not necessary that hypotheses should be true, or even probable; it is sufficient that they lead to results of calculation which agree with calculation".
Copernicus

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2015, 04:21:35 PM »

:)

Sorry, Inquisitive. Just in case, supersonic means "higher than the speed of sound". This is what happens when something starts moving faster than sound:

This and more nice pictures: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/incredible-picture-captures-moment-supersonic-4435628
Copernicus

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »

I simply cannot understand what is behind many of the answers here!  I am sure they are meant to be nitpicking, do not reflect on the mentality of the poster.
1) Of course no RE supporter is claiming there is no wind, but the wind is not at 1000+mph.  The air movement (from 0 to 175+mph) we get (at the surface) is relative to the surface of the earth.
2) Sure on a carousel I would feel movement and rotation!   Haven't been on one for yonks!
But the earth is rotating at 0.000073 rpm.  The resultant centripetal acceleration is around 0.034 m^2/s, compared to g about 9.84 m^2/s.  Also these two at any one place are essentially constant.  Of course I would not feel any motion!
We have probably all travelled at 750 mph (ground speed) in aircraft, and under smooth conditions felt very little motion.
I know from experience that in the TGV in France at 200 kph I felt almost sense of motion (just a little vibration) on straight stretches.  Mind you at 320 kph around even slight curves it's a different matter.
In other words we cannot sense a uniform velocity.
Even constant slight acceleration just adds a slight change in apparent weight and is not noticeable.
What we readily discern is changing acceleration or noticeable rotation; I doubt that I would sense rotation at 1 rpm let alone 0.000073 rpm.
Now I have no doubt that Yendor is such a sensitive person that he can sense all of this, but I am sure I could not detect this 0.000073 rpm rotation or the 0.034 m^2/s centripetal acceleration!

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »

Why would one notice a supersonic breeze at the equator if one is moving the same speed as that breeze?

When something moves through the air itself at supersonic speeds, sure, there is a shockwave.  As one travels further south from the north pole (or further north from the south pole), and the speed of both the ground, person, and air increases, all in pretty much the same direction, which of those three do you feel would cause the 'sonic boom' that you apparently believe would occur?

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »

A merry-go-round sure, spinning in a tight circle relative to everything else.  Feeling motion on the surface of a planet? No.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 06:00:45 PM »

There are some glaring factual errors here:
1) You say: "The air, by definition, can not move with supersonic speed."  There is simply no such "definition"!  Air (gasses) can certainly travel at supersonic velocities. Rocket exhaust velocities are typically 2.9 to 4.5 km/s.
2) You have: "transition from subsonic to supersonic speed and vice versa produces powerful shock waves. Where are they?".  True there is a transition from almose zero to over 1000 mph, but spread gradually over about 6,210 miles!  At 45° latitude the surface speed of the earth only changes by about 14 mph for each degree we move to or from the pole - pretty slight!
Shock waves are produced when an aircraft (could be bullet or rocket) travels through the air at supersonic speeds.  Because the aircraft is travelling faster than sound the movement of the aircraft cannot be "signalled" to the air ahead, so the motion of the air is forced to change abruptly when the aircraft meets it.