Let's talk about satellites, and why they prove a round Earth model.

• 14 Replies

TheEarthIsASphere.

• who fucking cares what shape the earth is lol
There are many "proofs" that both prove, and disprove a flat Earth, and vice versa for a round Earth. This, however, may be the most reliable piece of proof that proves the Earth, is in fact, round, and not flat.

Satellites are a big piece of human society, without them we wouldn't have basic things like location tracking, GPS, maps, etc. Without satellites, we'd not be where we are today with all these modern capabilities. There are quite a few reasons why satellites disprove a flat Earth model, but the most important one is this: satellites move in a straight line across the sky, and then disappear beyond the horizon, because they're orbiting a round Earth. If they were "orbiting" a flat Earth in the fashion that the Sun and Moon would, they'd never dip below the Horizon.

Now, before you attempt to provide a "rebuttal", I've prepared a few responses of my own to common ones you may post.

Satellites could simply be orbiting around a flat Earth OP, like an orbit described with a round Earth model.

No. If gravity behaved like this, then the Earth would've formed into a spherical-ish shape, the way it has. You may argue that it's held in by some "magical force", but at that point, you're just making frivolous claims with no proof whatsover to try and prove the existence of a flat Earth.

But OP, satellites are just lights or computer generated visuals projected onto the sky by the most "evil" organization of all, NASA.

No. There are a few problems with saying this here. First off, in order to project a light into the sky, we need to have a surface to project it on. We can't simply project it onto a cloud, because the light would distort along with the shape of the cloud. Secondly, if this was happening, then we'd see light beams being projected into the sky from the ground somewhere, and I've yet to see any news about one of these things being discovered. Secondly, you can't just "project" a computer generated image onto the sky because again, we run into the same problem. You need a surface to project it onto, and we'd also be able to clearly find where it's being projected from.

OP, OP! These are clearly just a bunch meteors, comets, etc.!

No. These aren't meteors, or comets, or the likes. These bodies do not move in a straight, predictable pattern. The often flash across the sky before burning up in Earth's atmosphere, or are too far away and not visible. The reason these items are visible when they're far away is because, unlike satellites, are not composed primarily of highly reflective material.

You stupid round-Earther OP! Satellites are imaginary creations that satanists want us to believe exist!

If they don't exist, then what are the nice bright, slowly-moving dots you can clearly see in the sky on a clear, dark night? They certainly aren't meteors, or light projections.
Quā ratiōne nōn redimus ad senectēs societātēs sapientium patrum? Quā ratiōne relinquimus eārum sapientiam?

Yendor

Re: Let's talk about satellites, and why they prove a round Earth model.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »
There are many "proofs" that both prove, and disprove a flat Earth, and vice versa for a round Earth. This, however, may be the most reliable piece of proof that proves the Earth, is in fact, round, and not flat.

Satellites are a big piece of human society, without them we wouldn't have basic things like location tracking, GPS, maps, etc. Without satellites, we'd not be where we are today with all these modern capabilities. There are quite a few reasons why satellites disprove a flat Earth model, but the most important one is this: satellites move in a straight line across the sky, and then disappear beyond the horizon, because they're orbiting a round Earth. If they were "orbiting" a flat Earth in the fashion that the Sun and Moon would, they'd never dip below the Horizon.

Now, before you attempt to provide a "rebuttal", I've prepared a few responses of my own to common ones you may post.

Satellites could simply be orbiting around a flat Earth OP, like an orbit described with a round Earth model.

No. If gravity behaved like this, then the Earth would've formed into a spherical-ish shape, the way it has. You may argue that it's held in by some "magical force", but at that point, you're just making frivolous claims with no proof whatsover to try and prove the existence of a flat Earth.

But OP, satellites are just lights or computer generated visuals projected onto the sky by the most "evil" organization of all, NASA.

No. There are a few problems with saying this here. First off, in order to project a light into the sky, we need to have a surface to project it on. We can't simply project it onto a cloud, because the light would distort along with the shape of the cloud. Secondly, if this was happening, then we'd see light beams being projected into the sky from the ground somewhere, and I've yet to see any news about one of these things being discovered. Secondly, you can't just "project" a computer generated image onto the sky because again, we run into the same problem. You need a surface to project it onto, and we'd also be able to clearly find where it's being projected from.

No. These aren't meteors, or comets, or the likes. These bodies do not move in a straight, predictable pattern. The often flash across the sky before burning up in Earth's atmosphere, or are too far away and not visible. The reason these items are visible when they're far away is because, unlike satellites, are not composed primarily of highly reflective material.

You stupid round-Earther OP! Satellites are imaginary creations that satanists want us to believe exist!

If they don't exist, then what are the nice bright, slowly-moving dots you can clearly see in the sky on a clear, dark night? They certainly aren't meteors, or light projections.

Since you've studied satellites so much, can you think how things can or could have been done without them.

How did we get TV reception?
How did we go on trips to unfamiliar places?
What where all those lights in the sky in ancient times?
How did ships at sea possibly navigate?
How did we spy on our enemies?
How did we communicate with other countries?

I could go on, but all these things were possible or happened before satellites came about. So really, I could be wrong, but what do satellites bring to the table that can't be done without them?
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:49:39 PM »
Why are you asking how things could have been done?  That does not matter, it's about how those things are done now with all the benefits.

If you don't know the answers then you should go and find out.  But, somehow, I think you do know...

TheEarthIsASphere.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 01:07:01 PM »

Since you've studied satellites so much, can you think how things can or could have been done without them.

How did we get TV reception?
How did we go on trips to unfamiliar places?
What where all those lights in the sky in ancient times?
How did ships at sea possibly navigate?
How did we spy on our enemies?
How did we communicate with other countries?

I could go on, but all these things were possible or happened before satellites came about. So really, I could be wrong, but what do satellites bring to the table that can't be done without them?

For the sake of the conversation, I'm going to answer your questions:

1. We used radio towers, similar to cell towers.
2. We used things called "maps".
3. The "lights in the sky in ancient times" are called "stars". If you're referring to satellites, then they obviously wouldn't have been around then.
4. Ships at sea used the positions of the stars, moon, and sun to navigate. They also have things called compasses which always point north.
5. We spied on our enemies using old-fashioned espionage. We'd sneak into another country and gather information by directly observing. We also used high-altitude spy planes in the 1960s.
6. We communicated using radio, mail, and morse code. In the 1970s, cell phones were invented which then added another form of communication.

Today, we use satellites for many things, but some of the most important are listed as follows:

1. Monitoring the weather. We use satellites to help predict things like hurricanes, or view what the weather is currently like.
2. We use them to navigate. Without the GPS program, and the collection of GPS satellites in geostationary orbit around the Earth, we'd still be using plain maps to navigate.
3. We also use them for important space research, like taking photographs of far away space formations.

I don't have time to list everything, but I'll work on expanding it later today when I have time.
Quā ratiōne nōn redimus ad senectēs societātēs sapientium patrum? Quā ratiōne relinquimus eārum sapientiam?

TheEarthIsASphere.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »
Why are you asking how things could have been done?  That does not matter, it's about how those things are done now with all the benefits.

If you don't know the answers then you should go and find out.  But, somehow, I think you do know...

Are you referring to me or Yendor here?

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »

Are you referring to me or Yendor here?
Yendor.  Highly unlikely he does not know the answers to what he asks.

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 03:05:34 PM »
I'll repeat myself. No aircraft pilots, no aircraft operators, no one working with satellites, will ever believe a flat earth. So why do people that live their entire lives oblivious to 99.9% of that area of knowledge have to be the ones dictating the rules about our planet shape?  ;D

Talk about know how!

Yendor

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 07:07:45 AM »
I'll repeat myself. No aircraft pilots, no aircraft operators, no one working with satellites, will ever believe a flat earth. So why do people that live their entire lives oblivious to 99.9% of that area of knowledge have to be the ones dictating the rules about our planet shape?  ;D

Talk about know how!

Kirk,
How can you say that, "No aircraft pilots, no aircraft operators, no one working with satellites, will ever believe a flat earth", do you personally know all these people? I've watched videos on YouTube and have heard pilots say they believe in flat Earth. I've designed and worked on components that supposedly went in satellites and I think the Earth is not round like most people believe. To get back to my earlier post, If everything I listed was possible back before they tell us satellites exist, how does that prove a round Earth? How do you know for sure? What insight knowledge do you have? Or are you simply guessing?
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 07:31:24 AM »

Talk about know how!

Kirk,
How can you say that, "No aircraft pilots, no aircraft operators, no one working with satellites, will ever believe a flat earth", do you personally know all these people? I've watched videos on YouTube and have heard pilots say they believe in flat Earth. I've designed and worked on components that supposedly went in satellites and I think the Earth is not round like most people believe. To get back to my earlier post, If everything I listed was possible back before they tell us satellites exist, how does that prove a round Earth? How do you know for sure? What insight knowledge do you have? Or are you simply guessing?
How do we currently receive live HD color news broadcasts from war zones and how did we in 1960?

Have you seen tv news satellite trucks. how do you think they work?  The dishes always point south.

How does my satnav show 19 transmitters across the sky?  No other system with mm accuracy used by surveyors.

Yendor

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 07:56:27 AM »

Talk about know how!

Kirk,
How do we currently receive live HD color news broadcasts from war zones and how did we in 1960?

Have you seen tv news satellite trucks. how do you think they work?  The dishes always point south.

How does my satnav show 19 transmitters across the sky?  No other system with mm accuracy used by surveyors.

I can tell you how they can do it. They can set up microwave links to an area that has access to underwater cable. A lot of people believe that satellites are what we use to communicate with distant places. The truth is, most communications like that is through underwater cable. 

The tv news trucks I believe you are referring to, the ones with actual telescoping masts on the roof of the trucks, are not transmitting to a satellite. They are actually transmitting to the tv station through a microwave link between the truck and the tv station.

The same way you use a car's navigation system, cell phone towers. Just because it shows 19 transmitting satellites doesn't make it so. That all can be faked with software.
                              George Orwell

TheEarthIsASphere.

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »

Talk about know how!

Kirk,

I can tell you how they can do it. They can set up microwave links to an area that has access to underwater cable. A lot of people believe that satellites are what we use to communicate with distant places. The truth is, most communications like that is through underwater cable. 

The tv news trucks I believe you are referring to, the ones with actual telescoping masts on the roof of the trucks, are not transmitting to a satellite. They are actually transmitting to the tv station through a microwave link between the truck and the tv station.

The same way you use a car's navigation system, cell phone towers. Just because it shows 19 transmitting satellites doesn't make it so. That all can be faked with software.

Not everything can be faked by software. I know this as a fact, since I develop software. You simply can't just "fake" the position of a satellite. There are way too many things to take into consideration. When it comes down to it. you'd never be able fake the position of a satellite.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 09:07:32 AM »

Talk about know how!

Thork is/was a commercial aircraft pilot.  TheEngineer works with satellites.  Both of them are flat Earthers.  Perhaps you should try something new for a change: Honesty. 

Not everything can be faked by software. I know this as a fact, since I develop software. You simply can't just "fake" the position of a satellite. There are way too many things to take into consideration. When it comes down to it. you'd never be able fake the position of a satellite.

You think that the software that the Navigator runs on can't be programmed to display anything the developer wanted?  Just because you are a crappy developer, don't assume that everyone is just as crappy. 

Yendor

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 09:13:32 AM »

Talk about know how!

Kirk,

If you develop software, you should realize that microcontrollers are nothing but I/O devices and if you don't care about the input information and only output information, then the output information can be anything a programmer wants it to be.
                              George Orwell

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 09:21:36 AM »

Talk about know how!

Kirk,

What about the tv vehicles, typically 4x4 or smaller now, with dishes on the roof?  I have seen them turn up at an event near here and be live within minutes.  No masts involved.   Even local radio uses satellites instead of masts with radio links.

Why fake how a satnav works when users want the actual method used?

Broadcasters do not setup microwave links to airports in Egypt and hire an underwater cable link.  They use something like this:

http://www.ultra-gigasat.com/products/flyaway-antennas/fa-100-1-0m-flyaway-only-3-boxes-less-than-10kgs-each-deploys-in-under-10-minutes

Yendor

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 10:26:19 AM »

Talk about know how!

Kirk,

What about the tv vehicles, typically 4x4 or smaller now, with dishes on the roof?  I have seen them turn up at an event near here and be live within minutes.  No masts involved.   Even local radio uses satellites instead of masts with radio links.

Why fake how a satnav works when users want the actual method used?

Broadcasters do not setup microwave links to airports in Egypt and hire an underwater cable link.  They use something like this:

http://www.ultra-gigasat.com/products/flyaway-antennas/fa-100-1-0m-flyaway-only-3-boxes-less-than-10kgs-each-deploys-in-under-10-minutes

Kirk,
You said every pilot believes in a round earth, you should watch this video:
 " class="bbc_link" target="_blank">

inquisitive,
I went to the site you mentioned and I admit it is neat. I have to ask you though, Why does DirecTV need dish antennas as big as a house to uplink data to satellites when they could do it with what you showed me? the image below is the DirecTV antenna field in California.

Someone is lying I believe. Referring to your link, I can't tell you how they do it but I do know it is possible to do things like that right here on Earth. If you are interested, do some research about troposphere communications. A lot of the information you will find deals strictly with the military. But, that doesn't mean that it can't be used for civilian applications as well. What they call geosynchronous satellites can very well be troposphere communications. The frequencies can go in the SHF ranges.
                              George Orwell