Discussions About The Moon

• 14 Replies

Yendor

Discussions About The Moon
« on: December 09, 2015, 02:05:35 PM »
let's assume the Earth is a round globe and If the Moon is full at a certain time at one location on one side of the Earth would the Moon be full at the same time at another location on the direct opposite side of the Earth? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
Re: Discussions About The Moon
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 03:42:57 PM »
let's assume the Earth is a round globe and If the Moon is full at a certain time at one location on one side of the Earth would the Moon be full at the same time at another location on the direct opposite side of the Earth? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.
Full moons only happen at night. The opposite side of the earth would be daytime.
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:45:57 PM »
Perhaps at one location just after sunset, and from another location just before sunrise?  Is that close enough to "opposite"?  If so, yes. 

Poko

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »
If by "at the same time at another location on the direct opposite side of the Earth" you mean "in 12 hours" then yes.
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

Yendor

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »
I have more time now, so I will elaborate further as to what I mean.  I watched a YT video the other day and I wish I had saved the link to it. I didn't, but I remember what the person was demonstrating so I decided to try it myself yesterday. At the time I watched the video I didn't believe it was possible. After trying it yesterday it seemed to work, but I don't know enough to understand why it does. That is why I decided to start a thread on it to see what others think. Here is how it works.

There is a website called 'www.freemaptools.com', on this site is a tool called 'Map Tunneling Tool'. This tool will allow you to pick a point on a map and the exact point on the other side of the world is shown on another map. It is as if you were to tunnel directly through the Earth. I picked a point on the map, Kampong Chhnang, Cambodia and the map showed that Huancayo, Peru was exactly on the other side of the world. Now you open another website called, 'www.timeanddate.com', I opened two tabs of this website to make it easier to compare. On this site, open the 'Sun & Moon' tab and scroll down to 'Moonphases' and select that. Now enter the City & Country and do a search for that first location. Select Moonrise & Moonset on the line below the. You see something like this:

I do the same thing on the other tab and it looked like this:

You can scroll down and see the phases of the moon and change the dates. The date of interest for me is 12-25-2015, that is the next full moon.
If you look at the two pictures I show and compare the Next Full Moons both locations will have a full moon on Dec. 25, 2015. In Cambodia it will be at 6:11 PM and in Peru it will be 6:11 AM.
When it is 6:11 PM in Cambodia it will be 6:11 AM in Peru, because of the 12 hour difference. To me and the person who made the YT video, understands this to mean that the full moon will be in the sky at both locations at the same time. You can scroll down and compare the moonrise and moonset at both locations and they are virtually the same times. So, This leads to my question. When I look up and see a full moon at night, could a person directly on the other side of the world from me see the very same full moon? Granted, because of the sun it may not be really possible to see it, but is it still there anyway? I never would have thought it would be possible for the Moon to be in the sky on both sides of the Earth at the same time. That is why i'm asking those in the know to explain if this is crazy or not.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

?

frenat

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 09:01:24 AM »
One location would see it setting and the other would see it rising.  For the locations you selected on 25 December it sets at 5:42 am in Peru and two minutes later it rises at 5:44 pm in Cambodia.  Close but not overlapping.

as for the time of the full Moon, it is not necessarily in the sky at that time.  The time when the moon is exactly full is the same for everywhere on the Earth whether it is in the sky or not.  For your two selected locations it will have set in Peru before being exactly full though I'm sure every observer will say it looked full.  The moment of exact fullness is simply a point in time.  The Moon happens to look full usually at least a day before and a day after if not more.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:04:37 AM by frenat »

Yendor

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 09:54:33 AM »
One location would see it setting and the other would see it rising.  For the locations you selected on 25 December it sets at 5:42 am in Peru and two minutes later it rises at 5:44 pm in Cambodia.  Close but not overlapping.

as for the time of the full Moon, it is not necessarily in the sky at that time.  The time when the moon is exactly full is the same for everywhere on the Earth whether it is in the sky or not.  For your two selected locations it will have set in Peru before being exactly full though I'm sure every observer will say it looked full.  The moment of exact fullness is simply a point in time.  The Moon happens to look full usually at least a day before and a day after if not more.

Thank you for your explanation. I would love to see what others think about this.
                              George Orwell

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 07:00:27 PM »
I'm curious how you think it wouldn't be visible from opposite, or nearly opposite, sides of a globe.

Yendor

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »
I'm curious how you think it wouldn't be visible from opposite, or nearly opposite, sides of a globe.

I really never gave it much thought before I watched the YT video. If a person would have asked me the question, If you see the Moon in the sky, would a person directly on the other side of the world from me be able to see the Moon as well? I guess my answer would have been, NO. I would have said no because I would figure the Earth would block their view of the Moon. I guess I would have been WRONG, which has happened before during my lifetime. I do think I'm correct when I say that when I see the Sun is in the sky at high noon. a person on the other side of the world from me is in darkness. I figured the Moon worked the same way. The person that made the video was a flat Earth believer and he was basically saying what I would have thought. I don't believe everything I watch on YT, even if a flat Earth believer says so. So, I wanted to get some information from people smarter than me to help me separate fact from BS.
That was my motive.
                              George Orwell

?

frenat

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »

I really never gave it much thought before I watched the YT video. If a person would have asked me the question, If you see the Moon in the sky, would a person directly on the other side of the world from me be able to see the Moon as well? I guess my answer would have been, NO. I would have said no because I would figure the Earth would block their view of the Moon. I guess I would have been WRONG, which has happened before during my lifetime. I do think I'm correct when I say that when I see the Sun is in the sky at high noon. a person on the other side of the world from me is in darkness. I figured the Moon worked the same way. The person that made the video was a flat Earth believer and he was basically saying what I would have thought. I don't believe everything I watch on YT, even if a flat Earth believer says so. So, I wanted to get some information from people smarter than me to help me separate fact from BS.
That was my motive.

the Moon does work the same way.  For your example cities and date it is setting in one location when it is rising in the other.  when high in the sky at zenith it would not be visible in the other location.

Yendor

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 10:37:51 AM »

That was my motive.

the Moon does work the same way.  For your example cities and date it is setting in one location when it is rising in the other.  when high in the sky at zenith it would not be visible in the other location.

Thanks, you've cleared it up for me. I was looking at it wrong.
                              George Orwell

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
Until they bring back the version of the moon with the 'man on the moon' outline on it I have absolutely no respect for the moon. For awhile it was more like a rabbit, but now just random blobs. Some say the pattern is a mirror image of the flat Earth, at least that would be interesting. I once had my digital camera on a mount tracking the moon and it went retrograde on me for 2 degrees, then went back to it's regular course. This was around the time period of the 2004 Sumatra earthquake. They say it slowed the Earth rotation down, which means nothing as the Earth is not spinning. They should have said the Sun's Earth path slowed down by a fraction of a second. At the time many others saw the moon anomaly also. Search for ,what's wrong with the moon, why is the moon messed up, is the moon right? If you look at something from 2 widely separated places the thing will be seen from the left and the right, 2 different views. Everything is like this not just the moon.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:23:14 PM by ronxyz »
If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

Frank Lee

• Truth has no agenda. Science does.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
Until they bring back the version of the moon with the 'man on the moon' outline on it I have absolutely no respect for the moon. For awhile it was more like a rabbit, but now just random blobs. Some say the pattern is a mirror image of the flat Earth, at least that would be interesting. I once had my digital camera on a mount tracking the moon and it went retrograde on me for 2 degrees, then went back to it's regular course. This was around the time period of the 2004 Sumatra earthquake. They say it slowed the Earth rotation down, which means nothing as the Earth is not spinning. They should have said the Sun's Earth path slowed down by a fraction of a second. At the time many others saw the moon anomaly also. Search for ,what's wrong with the moon, why is the moon messed up, is the moon right? If you look at something from 2 widely separated places the thing will be seen from the left and the right, 2 different views. Everthing is like this not just the moon.

I thought i was the only one that felt this way and i noticed this. I have mentioned it before, but came up blank. I do know what you are saying, and, i agree. I have been saving pics on my PC but i do not use the cloud, so i can not share them here. Suffice it to say, something is up. Even the illumination is not right often.
Science is religion for people who will not be subject to a supreme Creator. Free choice is love.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 04:35:29 PM »
If you look at something from 2 widely separated places the thing will be seen from the left and the right, 2 different views. Everything is like this not just the moon.
Please clarify.  Are you reporting that the face of the moon appears different from different places on earth? 

I am convinced the moon is a reflection of the rest of the earth's energy. 
We genuinely do not know what is up there.  For all we know, we are in a dome within a dome in which case, anything is possible. 

I am convinced the earth is huge and that above us is essentially a parabolic mirror --- there could even be a second mirror which creates a holograph that seems as physically real as can be. 

Our observations of the moon are likely a consequence of the fluidity of the dome ---- it expands and contracts. 

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 06:44:30 PM »
Until they bring back the version of the moon with the 'man on the moon' outline on it I have absolutely no respect for the moon. For awhile it was more like a rabbit, but now just random blobs. Some say the pattern is a mirror image of the flat Earth, at least that would be interesting. I once had my digital camera on a mount tracking the moon and it went retrograde on me for 2 degrees, then went back to it's regular course. This was around the time period of the 2004 Sumatra earthquake. They say it slowed the Earth rotation down, which means nothing as the Earth is not spinning. They should have said the Sun's Earth path slowed down by a fraction of a second. At the time many others saw the moon anomaly also. Search for ,what's wrong with the moon, why is the moon messed up, is the moon right? If you look at something from 2 widely separated places the thing will be seen from the left and the right, 2 different views. Everything is like this not just the moon.
So now I guess we can say it's more likely 240k miles away instead of the 3k miles according to FET.

I thought i was the only one that felt this way and i noticed this. I have mentioned it before, but came up blank. I do know what you are saying, and, i agree. I have been saving pics on my PC but i do not use the cloud, so i can not share them here. Suffice it to say, something is up. Even the illumination is not right often.
Imgur, photobucket, etc etc etc.