The earth is round because of one simple observation.

• 168 Replies
Re: The earth is round because of one simple observation.
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2015, 06:12:31 PM »
Also, TheEngineer isn't a FE'er, and I don't believe he has ever said satellites don't exist.

This, my good sir, is heresy!

Okay...

It is fairly obvious; I figured it out fairly quickly.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »
Also, TheEngineer isn't a FE'er, and I don't believe he has ever said satellites don't exist.

This, my good sir, is heresy!

Okay...

It is fairly obvious; I figured it out fairly quickly.

One more convert and another win for the FE!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2015, 08:49:07 PM »
My cell phone has no trouble telling me where I am, even with the GPS turned off.  Please don't tell me that the only way to know where you are is to get radio signals from flying space trashcans.  ::)
Why would you think a flying trashcan is a way to get radio signals from space?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2015, 09:26:39 PM »
You say "GPS does not require satellites."  Oh, really!
Yes, really.  No part of the locating process requires the signal originate exoatmospheric.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
I have a feeling he actually works for Garmin (or similar GPS company). 
Ooh, good guess, but, no. 

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2015, 04:27:56 AM »
My cell phone has no trouble telling me where I am, even with the GPS turned off.
Absolute bollocks.  Try that in a remote location and come back to us.

Just because it can do rough triangulation from wireless network locations in cities, doesn't mean anything.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2015, 05:03:01 AM »

Always read what TheEngineer says carefully.  "GPS does not require satellites." is not the same as "GPS does not use satellites."
You don't have to read it carefully to realise it's factually incorrect either way.  Location services in general may not require satellites, however the Global Positioning System does need satellites to work.  A GPS device works by scanning the sky for timestamps transmissions from satellites, works out your distance from each one via the lag, and then uses trilateration to calculate your position.

Take away the satellites and the GPS device does not work.  Therefore "GPS does not require satellites" is not a correct statement.  The GPS system does require satellites - there is literally no other way a GPS device could work.

You can triangulate locations using ground-based towers.
They do not give you a 3D position, whereas GPS does.    And never to 5 metre accuracy - nowhere near.  This would be impossible from cell towers.  Even in range of 3 towers:

Using cell tower triangulation (3 towers), it is possible to determine a phone location to within an area of “about” ¾ square mile.
http://wrongfulconvictionsblog.org/2012/06/01/cell-tower-triangulation-how-it-works/

Although I've seen claims of a few hundred metres in very dense areas - still nothing like GPS accuracy.

It also becomes increasingly inaccurate as cell towers become sparser (outside of cities), up to the point where there are no, or an insufficient number of towers to triangulate.  Whereas GPS works, err, globally.

Law enforcement does this to locate a cell phone.
Actually, that evidence is being treated with increasing scepticism.

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2015, 05:29:06 AM »
I have a feeling he actually works for Garmin (or similar GPS company). 
Ooh, good guess, but, no.

I have a feeling I am close; the irony of it is just too good.

« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2015, 05:39:53 AM »

Always read what TheEngineer says carefully.  "GPS does not require satellites." is not the same as "GPS does not use satellites."
You don't have to read it carefully to realise it's factually incorrect either way.  Location services in general may not require satellites, however the Global Positioning System does need satellites to work.  A GPS device works by scanning the sky for timestamps transmissions from satellites, works out your distance from each one via the lag, and then uses trilateration to calculate your position.

Take away the satellites and the GPS device does not work.  Therefore "GPS does not require satellites" is not a correct statement.  The GPS system does require satellites - there is literally no other way a GPS device could work.

You can triangulate locations using ground-based towers.
They do not give you a 3D position, whereas GPS does.    And never to 5 metre accuracy - nowhere near.  This would be impossible from cell towers.  Even in range of 3 towers:

Using cell tower triangulation (3 towers), it is possible to determine a phone location to within an area of “about” ¾ square mile.
http://wrongfulconvictionsblog.org/2012/06/01/cell-tower-triangulation-how-it-works/

Although I've seen claims of a few hundred metres in very dense areas - still nothing like GPS accuracy.

It also becomes increasingly inaccurate as cell towers become sparser (outside of cities), up to the point where there are no, or an insufficient number of towers to triangulate.  Whereas GPS works, err, globally.

Law enforcement does this to locate a cell phone.
Actually, that evidence is being treated with increasing scepticism.

I know how GPS works.  You are missing the point here though.  Imagine the Earth is actually flat and satellites do not exist.  It would still be possible to develop a global positioning system that works using ground-based towers.  The towers themselves would be specifically designed for this purpose.  Cell phone towers weren't designed to be locaters, they were designed to provide cell phone coverage to make phone calls. 

If you want to make an argument about satellites (other than being able to see them), satellite television seems to be a better argument.  If satellite television was using ground-based towers, all the satellite dishes wouldn't have to be pointed to the south (for us here in the northern hemisphere).

« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2015, 07:32:51 AM »
I know how GPS works.
I know you do.

You are missing the point here though.  Imagine the Earth is actually flat and satellites do not exist.
Then the Global Positioning System would not work.  It requires satellites.   Other systems, such as LORAN, have worked with ground based towers - these do not require satellites.  The GPS is a particular system utilising particular technologies, namely satellites.   

It would still be possible to develop a global positioning system that works using ground-based towers.
Not one that could give you a 3D position you couldn't.  And, strictly speaking, you will need millions of sea based towers as well.

If you want to make an argument about satellites (other than being able to see them), satellite television seems to be a better argument.  If satellite television was using ground-based towers, all the satellite dishes wouldn't have to be pointed to the south (for us here in the northern hemisphere).
Well, not just the fact they point south, but they are pointing into the sky.  I'm not sure it is better argument anyway - a television works without satellites, whereas a GPS device won't.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2015, 08:24:22 AM »
You say "GPS does not require satellites."  Oh, really!
Yes, really.  No part of the locating process requires the signal originate exoatmospheric.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2015, 09:04:23 AM »
  You are missing the point here though.  Imagine the Earth is actually flat and satellites do not exist.
Then the Global Positioning System would not work.  It requires satellites.   Other systems, such as LORAN, have worked with ground based towers - these do not require satellites.  The GPS is a particular system utilising particular technologies, namely satellites.

You can't just refute the other person's argument this way.  The FE'er believes that GPS uses a ground-based system and that is how this particular system works in their mind.  You need to refute why it can't work as a ground-based system, which I believe you are trying to do with this:   

It would still be possible to develop a global positioning system that works using ground-based towers.
Not one that could give you a 3D position you couldn't.  And, strictly speaking, you will need millions of sea based towers as well.

Why would it be impossible to develop a ground-based system that can provide 3D position?  If the Earth were flat though, you wouldn't need that many towers.

Well, not just the fact they point south, but they are pointing into the sky.  I'm not sure it is better argument anyway - a television works without satellites, whereas a GPS device won't.

I don't understand your last statement.  If I go on my roof and disconnect my satellite dish.  I lose reception and can't watch a live broadcast.  Sure, my tv works for other purposes, but so does my GPS running watch if all the GPS satellites stopped working.

« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »

You can't just refute the other person's argument this way.
I can, and I have.  As you stated before, TheEngineer is keen on "lawyerly" (disingenuous!) arguments and that is what we are having here.  I'm not talking about the generalities of creating a positioning system, but the specifics of the Global Positioning System.

"GPS does not require satellites."

Is incorrect.  Every single GPS device on the planet will calculate its position using time-stamp / almanac information from 3 or more satellites.  If those satellites weren't there, or you blocked the device's line of sight to them, then it couldn't work out a position.  Therefore GPS does require satellites.

Of course, hypothetically, ground based systems that don't require satellites could be built, like LORAN.  However we are not discussing LORAN, we are discussing GPS.

« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »

You can't just refute the other person's argument this way.
I can, and I have.  As you stated before, TheEngineer is keen on "lawyerly" (disingenuous!) arguments and that is what we are having here.  I'm not talking about the generalities of creating a positioning system, but the specifics of the Global Positioning System.

Is incorrect.  Every single GPS device on the planet will calculate its position using time-stamp / almanac information from 3 or more satellites.  If those satellites weren't there, or you blocked the device's line of sight to them, then it couldn't work out a position.  Therefore GPS does require satellites.

Of course, hypothetically, ground based systems that don't require satellites could be built, like LORAN.  However we are not discussing LORAN, we are discussing GPS.

Yes, I am clearly playing devil's advocate here.  I am just saying, you aren't going to convince a FE'er he is wrong using that argument.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »

Is incorrect.
What part of the locating process requires the signal originate exoatmospheric?

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »
If you make an accurate statement, he doesn't refute it.
He refuted the statements that gravitational attraction obeys the inverse square law, and that it is capable of imparting motion to a static body. Both of those are accurate.

Newton's model follows the inverse square law.

Gravitation doesn't impart motion on a static body.

The inverse square law of Newton's model does not conflict with anything subsequently amended by the current gravity model. It still applies. It remains an accurate statement.
I genuinely fail to see how motion is NOT imparted to a static body by gravity. I suspect your lack of explanation is a deliberate attempt to get someone to disagree with you and trip up (strange, you're almost like the "Engineer"'s alt in that respect...) Therefore, I would like you to explain what imparts motion to an apple which I'm holding stationary, and then I let go of it. I strongly suspect your answer will rely heavily on semantics rather than physics.

Newton's model is great for most applications.  It doesn't work at relativistic speeds or in strong gravitational environments though, that is why we need Einstein's more complex model.  I use Newton's model all the time, it is a lot simpler to work with and provides an accurate answer for most applications.

Also, don't compare me to TheEngineer, that's a bit insulting.  Sorry for not explaining further, I was running errands, and typed out a quick response on my phone.  Mass curves/distorts space time.  The greater the mass, the greater the curvature/distortion.  The difficulty in seeing this is due to us being used to seeing objects in a non-curved space.  An object in free fall actually follows a straight line, but space time is curved/distorted, so it has the appearance that the object is curving/moving.  The easy way to visualize this is to think of how airline flights fly along great circle routes.  On a flat map, it appears the aircraft is flying a curved route, but if you look at the flight in a curved space (a globe), the flight is straight (neglecting the curvature of Earth, since it can't fly through the Earth).

Anyway, the surface of the Earth is accelerating up to meet the object, however, this isn't the same as a flat Earth accelerating upward as if propelled from underneath as the acceleration varies all over the surface of the Earth.  We can measure this acceleration with accelerometers to confirm that the acceleration varies across the globe.  If the flat Earth model were true, it would have ripped apart a long time ago due to these variations in acceleration at different points. 

Back to your original question, when you are holding an apple, you are accelerating the apple.  A force is required to hold it where it is as the apple wants to follow a geodesic to the center of mass that is causing the gravitational field.  Release the apple and it is no longer subject to the force from your hand and follows the geodesic towards the center of Earth's mass until the Earth has accelerated up to meet it.  Geodesics in a gravitational field can go in all sorts of directions depending on the initial motion of the object.

Now, all of that is harder to visualize and calculate.  If we switch the frame of reference, we get Newton's model, which is much simpler and easier to use.  To summarize, Einstein's model is correct and true (as far as we know at least) and Newton's model is correct for a certain set of circumstances (which includes dropping an apple from your hand).  Newton's model is never true, but it doesn't have to be to correctly answer most questions.  Most engineers understand this and I want to believe TheEngineer does as well.  If two models are both correct for the application, use the simpler model.

You just used the phrase "until the Earth has accelerated up to meet it."
Since strictly speaking there is no difference (according to relativity) between the earth moving to meet the apple, and the apple moving to meet the earth, and you have just stated that motion occurs (two objects change relative positions in spacetime, which is a fairly good definition of motion). You have also stated that this motion is a result of objects following spacetime geodesics (which is what gravity is if it isn't a force).
If there were no geodesics to follow (i.e. gravity was absent) then according to your description, that motion would not occur. The fact that the apple is static due to the force from my hand does not negate that it is static. It is static because two opposing influences are in balance.
Therefore, according to your own description, gravity causes an object to move, and is therefore capable of imparting motion to a static body.
As I suspected, your argument rested entirely on fancy language and making something very simple very complicated and hoping nobody would notice that saying "the earth accelerates to meet the apple" is a reversible statement.
2/10.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »

Is incorrect.
What part of the locating process requires the signal originate exoatmospheric?

For GPS, the part that involves the SVs (Space Vehicles).

How do we know they have to be Space Vehicles, you'll no doubt ask? Let me save you the time and typing. GPS receivers rely on almanac data received from the SVs (a.k.a. satellites) themselves. The almanac data is used for a rough guide to which SVs should be visible so a receiver can tell which ones to look for when it starts up after being inactive for a while. Now, almanac data is nothing other than good ol' Keplerian Elements - you know, those parameters that describe an orbit about a body in space. These only work when atmospheric perturbations are minimal - thus, exoatmospheric.

Pretty cool, huh?

"But... but..." you'll sputter! "There are no almanacs! Those are all faked by the receiver!!!" No... you're wrong (again!), I'll say. At least some GPS receivers have a software interface with a command that allows you (or at least someone sufficiently competent) to read the current almanac set. I've done it; they look like reasonable element sets to me. Of course, you'll argue "it would be easy to fabricate something that looks like a valid element set just to fool us." Well, I suppose that might be remotely possible, but how much work would that be, and why? I also suppose that the symbols shown on the screen could be drawn by pixies, too, and I can't disprove that, either. I'll tell you what, why not get a commonly-available GPS receiver and decompile the embedded code. If you can show where the almanacs are being faked (a.k.a. the smoking gun), report back. You'll have a huge and very valuable discovery on your hands if you can do that, so get cracking!

Then, if you can't be bothered, there's the case where a commodity GPS receiver loses a satellite's signal when you go under an overhang or behind an obstruction, but regains it when the part of the sky where the satellite is supposed to be is not obscured. How does that work if the signals are terrestrial? That's even easier to check for yourself. If you can be bothered, which I doubt.

{Edit} typo. "sufficient" to "sufficiently". Sorry for any confusion.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:39:48 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »
That's all nice and a good read, but you didn't understand the question:
What part of the locating process requires that the signal originate in space?

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2015, 08:36:03 PM »
That's all nice and a good read, but you didn't understand the question:
What part of the locating process requires that the signal originate in space?

See the part about almanacs. So much for trying to save you some effort.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
I understand how GPS works just fine and I know why almanacs are used.  That does not address my question:

What part of the locating process requires the signal originate in space?

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2015, 05:37:46 AM »
If you make an accurate statement, he doesn't refute it.
He refuted the statements that gravitational attraction obeys the inverse square law, and that it is capable of imparting motion to a static body. Both of those are accurate.

Newton's model follows the inverse square law.

Gravitation doesn't impart motion on a static body.

The inverse square law of Newton's model does not conflict with anything subsequently amended by the current gravity model. It still applies. It remains an accurate statement.
I genuinely fail to see how motion is NOT imparted to a static body by gravity. I suspect your lack of explanation is a deliberate attempt to get someone to disagree with you and trip up (strange, you're almost like the "Engineer"'s alt in that respect...) Therefore, I would like you to explain what imparts motion to an apple which I'm holding stationary, and then I let go of it. I strongly suspect your answer will rely heavily on semantics rather than physics.

Newton's model is great for most applications.  It doesn't work at relativistic speeds or in strong gravitational environments though, that is why we need Einstein's more complex model.  I use Newton's model all the time, it is a lot simpler to work with and provides an accurate answer for most applications.

Also, don't compare me to TheEngineer, that's a bit insulting.  Sorry for not explaining further, I was running errands, and typed out a quick response on my phone.  Mass curves/distorts space time.  The greater the mass, the greater the curvature/distortion.  The difficulty in seeing this is due to us being used to seeing objects in a non-curved space.  An object in free fall actually follows a straight line, but space time is curved/distorted, so it has the appearance that the object is curving/moving.  The easy way to visualize this is to think of how airline flights fly along great circle routes.  On a flat map, it appears the aircraft is flying a curved route, but if you look at the flight in a curved space (a globe), the flight is straight (neglecting the curvature of Earth, since it can't fly through the Earth).

Anyway, the surface of the Earth is accelerating up to meet the object, however, this isn't the same as a flat Earth accelerating upward as if propelled from underneath as the acceleration varies all over the surface of the Earth.  We can measure this acceleration with accelerometers to confirm that the acceleration varies across the globe.  If the flat Earth model were true, it would have ripped apart a long time ago due to these variations in acceleration at different points. 

Back to your original question, when you are holding an apple, you are accelerating the apple.  A force is required to hold it where it is as the apple wants to follow a geodesic to the center of mass that is causing the gravitational field.  Release the apple and it is no longer subject to the force from your hand and follows the geodesic towards the center of Earth's mass until the Earth has accelerated up to meet it.  Geodesics in a gravitational field can go in all sorts of directions depending on the initial motion of the object.

Now, all of that is harder to visualize and calculate.  If we switch the frame of reference, we get Newton's model, which is much simpler and easier to use.  To summarize, Einstein's model is correct and true (as far as we know at least) and Newton's model is correct for a certain set of circumstances (which includes dropping an apple from your hand).  Newton's model is never true, but it doesn't have to be to correctly answer most questions.  Most engineers understand this and I want to believe TheEngineer does as well.  If two models are both correct for the application, use the simpler model.

You just used the phrase "until the Earth has accelerated up to meet it."
Since strictly speaking there is no difference (according to relativity) between the earth moving to meet the apple, and the apple moving to meet the earth, and you have just stated that motion occurs (two objects change relative positions in spacetime, which is a fairly good definition of motion). You have also stated that this motion is a result of objects following spacetime geodesics (which is what gravity is if it isn't a force).
If there were no geodesics to follow (i.e. gravity was absent) then according to your description, that motion would not occur. The fact that the apple is static due to the force from my hand does not negate that it is static. It is static because two opposing influences are in balance.
Therefore, according to your own description, gravity causes an object to move, and is therefore capable of imparting motion to a static body.
As I suspected, your argument rested entirely on fancy language and making something very simple very complicated and hoping nobody would notice that saying "the earth accelerates to meet the apple" is a reversible statement.
2/10.

You asked one question, "does gravitation impart motion on a static object" that I answered, then you refuted my answer using a different question, "does gravitation impart motion between a static object and the Earth."

That is similar to asking me if you press the accelerator in your car, will it cause the parked car is front of you to move and when I say "no," you say that it is moving when you press the accelerator as now the cars are closer together.  It doesn't change the fact the parked car didn't move. 

What question are you asking, the question from your original post or the reply?

Also, holding an apple in your hand isn't static, it's accelerating away from the center of Earth's mass.  If you don't believe me, download an accelerometer app for your phone (if you have one), and measure the acceleration while holding it.  If the object is static, then the acceleration should be zero.

« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2015, 03:50:45 PM »
I understand how GPS works just fine and I know why almanacs are used. 
Really? Then why is the next question necessary?
That does not address my question:

The SV part (those are the transmitters) is located on Space Vehicles. They don't start transmitting until they reach space. It's how the system is designed.

Could it have been designed to work with terrestrial transmitters? Possibly. But it wasn't.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2015, 12:49:23 AM »
Could it have been designed to work with terrestrial transmitters? Possibly. But it wasn't.
Thank you for agreeing with my statement that GPS does not require satellites. 

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2015, 06:27:35 AM »
Thank you for agreeing with my statement that GPS does not require satellites.

Nice job quoting out of context. Even then, it doesn't say what you claim it does.

Here's the rest of it:

I understand how GPS works just fine and I know why almanacs are used. 
Really? Then why is the next question necessary?
That does not address my question:

The SV part (those are the transmitters) is located on Space Vehicles. They don't start transmitting until they reach space. It's how the system is designed.

So, how is a system designed to require transmitters located aboard satellites in orbit not required to have transmitters located aboard satellites in orbit? You ignored that part of the post. Comments?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2015, 08:47:41 AM »
Please stop dodging the question and simply answer:

What part of the locating process requires that a signal originate exoatmospheric?   

-- Bob Hudson

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2015, 09:49:20 AM »
The current GPS system requires satellites. A GPS system does not.

But anyways, the global part currently required satellites.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2015, 12:54:29 PM »
The current GPS system requires satellites. A GPS system does not.
It's about time you agree with me.  This is a momentous day!

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »
Please stop dodging the question and simply answer:

What part of the locating process requires that a signal originate exoatmospheric?

For the GPS system, it's the Space Vehicle part of the system - that's where the signals that your GPS receives come from. Space Vehicles are exoatmospheric, therefore the signals must have an exoatmospheric origin.

In case you think you're being cute, we are talking about the GPS system, remember? In the context of a discussion about the GPS system, "the locating process" requires satellites.

Why was the GPS system designed in a way that requires satellites to determine location?
  • The system is designed to be Global (that's what the 'G' in 'GPS' stands for). Satellites in high orbits have a big footprint - one transmitter covers a very large portion of the Earth at the same time, while using very short wavelengths (about 20 - 30 cm, in the L-band, in the case of GPS), and they operate just as well over the open oceans and hostile territory as anywhere else. Short wavelengths provide numerous advantages. 
  • Deploying a constellation of satellites is cheaper for worldwide coverage than building and maintaining the equivalent network of surface stations, if it's possible at all.
  • Altitude information is available when the transmitters are distributed over a wide range of angles, from near the horizon to zenith, you instead of all being near the horizon.
  • The location of satellites in high orbits are very predictable - this is essential since they are the benchmarks for locations.

Is that clear enough for you?

Or, are you asking about a different system?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2015, 04:55:32 PM »
I don't think you understand the question:
What part of the locating process requires the signal to originate in space?

Answer:
No part of the locating process requires that the signal originates in space.  All you need is a transmitter that knows where it is and has an accurate clock which can transmit this information, and a receiver that can decode this info and compare with its own regular clock. 

Good Lord, you RE'ers are dense.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
I don't think you understand the question:
What part of the locating process requires the signal to originate in space?

Answer:
No part of the locating process requires that the signal originates in space.
Maybe if you're not talking about the currently-used global-positioning systems, including GPS, which is what we're discussing.

All you need is a transmitter that knows where it is and has an accurate clock which can transmit this information, and a receiver that can decode this info and compare with its own regular clock. 

Really? "All you need is a transmitter that knows where it is" Well, easy-peasy, then! Duh!

Oh... how does this work in the middle of the ocean ("Global", remember?) Are you proposing a large network of buoys, or ships, or continuously flying high-altitude aircraft, or some combination? How do the buoys, ships, or aircraft know where they are? Other buoys, ships, or aircraft? See the problem yet? Buoys need service; aircraft have to land every now and then; a ship needs a port call periodically. How many of these things are there? A handful of satellites solve this problem neatly.

How accurate is the receiver's "regular clock"? Hint: a real-world GPS receiver's clock doesn't need to be particularly accurate long-term; it helps speed acquisition after being switched off if it's reasonably accurate (how long it takes to re-acquire position depends in part on how long it's been, how accurate that clock is, and whether or not you've moved a long distance while it was off), but it isn't essential for determination of position once a fix is acquired - it may just take longer to acquire the initial fix after a long period. This sort of stuff sounds good if you're waving your hands; in reality it's a tad more difficult.

Even if the receiver's clock were perfectly accurate, how would you determine altitude with any accuracy of all the transmitters were at about the same very low elevation angle in the presence of even a small amount of measurement error?

Good Lord, you RE'ers are dense.

Sorry. To meet the system specs for coverage, altitude resolution, and reliability, satellites are necessary.

Well, we were discussing the GPS system. The currently operating one, by the way. Some hypothetical perfect system may be able to operate, if you can afford and are able to install all the ground stations, and keep them running properly.

In short: it sounds easy to hypothetically replicate all of the GPS system's capabilities with terrestrial stations. Like most hypothetical situations, they're way oversimplified. Nice try, though. Unfortunately, too limited and impractical.