What's with the lag?

• 23 Replies

Orbisect-64

• "I'M REVOLTING!" (make of it what you will)
What's with the lag?
« on: October 05, 2015, 12:49:27 AM »
It takes so long for pages to load on this site that I have to go make a coffee and return later so I can read just one page. I've visited numerous other sites with no lag whatsoever - so it's not me or my computer, or my connection.

Is the site being bombarded with never ceasing DDOS attacks or something (which would't surprise me)?

Or is it just in desperate need of maintenance?

It wasn't like this a month ago, but it has been like this for a few weeks now. If the shills you allow in here don't drive people away, the lag will discourage the rest. Maybe that's the point. (?)

—
PRONOIA: “The delusional belief that the world is set up to benefit people … The confident and assumed trust that despite years of lies and oppression, government is secretly conspiring in your favor.”

Re: What's with the lag?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:09:46 PM »
We seem to share a problem. I've been getting DNS errors on and off all day.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 12:37:57 PM »
Been happening again. If it helps anyone, the full error is:

You've requested a page on a website (www.theflatearthsociety.org) that is on the CloudFlare network. CloudFlare is currently unable to resolve your requested domain (www.theflatearthsociety.org). There are two potential causes of this:
Most likely: if the owner just signed up for CloudFlare it can take a few minutes for the website's information to be distributed to our global network.
Less likely: something is wrong with this site's configuration. Usually this happens when accounts have been signed up with a partner organization (e.g., a hosting provider) and the provider's DNS fails.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:36:31 PM »
This problem has been going on for some time. This is the only website I have ever visited that has this problem. Sometimes it seems that the administrators of this website don't know how to fix this problem any more than they know how to explain why they think the earth is flat. It seems it just gets "worser and worser" as time goes by.

At least the administrators of the other flat earth society forum know how to make a website operate properly.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »
Pings have 10% packet loss.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »
I mentioned this problem to a person who is in the website business.
They said the problem sounds as if it might be due to "some very old software."

There is a note at the bottom of the page on this website "copyright 2013".
On the other tfes.org website is "copyright 2015"
So maybe just updating the software might cure the "What's with the lag?" problem ?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:41:22 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 07:11:33 AM »
I mentioned this problem to a person who is in the website business.
They said the problem sounds as if it might be due to "some very old software."

Known solution then. Update the software, like the other site must have.

Does anyone know how? Otherwise wait for reunification, I suppose. Any word on the progress of that?

If it helps, I searched for each of the admins. I'd assume they have access to the coding of the site.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1079
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=5562
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=12242

By the look of it, Lord Wilmore was online on the 1st October, he may be the best hope.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:29:51 PM »
By the look of it, Lord Wilmore was online on the 1st October, he may be the best hope.

I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »

I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.

Gonna elaborate? It looks like he's been online most recently.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 12:14:21 PM »
The probelem is that the web server is being run by flat earthers.  Most of them seem to think that the laws of physics that are exploited to make computers work are government lies, and if a flat earther ever learns a programming language then the logic skills they learn in the process would make them realize that flat Earth theory is nonsense.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 04:23:48 PM »
Seriously. It takes 0 effort to make a SMF forum. I'm sorry, but it doesn't. The most impressive thing on here is a homepage, but that may or may not be just a plugin. I believe I've seen this theme somewhere near the bottom of the SMF "reccomended themes" board. I dunno about the Tiki Wiki. Judging by how it's nowhere to be found in the actual forum directory, I can assume that is using some other software fitted to be similar to this.

Feel free to correct me, admins.

(Excuse me for a second.)
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 02:28:15 AM »
It's not so much the age of the software, as software does not expire--it only becomes obsolete as better software is developed, but the number of "Guests" and registered "bots" who suck up resources but do not post or contribute.  This morning is not too bad, but we often get thousands of people here with only 5 or 6 actually posting.  This drains the resources for the rest of us. 

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 08:01:23 AM »
It's not so much the age of the software, as software does not expire--it only becomes obsolete as better software is developed, but the number of "Guests" and registered "bots" who suck up resources but do not post or contribute.  This morning is not too bad, but we often get thousands of people here with only 5 or 6 actually posting.  This drains the resources for the rest of us.
Unless this bots are constantly refreshing (in which case it should either be detected by the software and timed out, or simply disallow  constant refresing via cached headers: if nothing changed, nothing should be sent), the number of bots is not that great. Im starting to think something must have gone very, very wrong in server mainteinance. If only we had Parsifal to check it out.
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 10:03:45 PM »
I just posted a new topic. It took a full 30 seconds for it to appear after I clicked on "submit."

Whatever the problem may be, it needs to be fixed, whatever the means and methods it takes to fix the "What's with the lag ?" problem. Maybe they should find out why any other website, including the tfes.org website doesn't have this problem and find out why they don't have this problem and why this website does have this problem....And one more time : FIX IT !

Chorus:

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »
The probelem is that the web server is being run by flat earthers.  Most of them seem to think that the laws of physics that are exploited to make computers work are government lies, and if a flat earther ever learns a programming language then the logic skills they learn in the process would make them realize that flat Earth theory is nonsense.
Hi, I'm a reasonably qualified programmer and an FE'er. I'm digging your theory that the site issues are somehow caused by the admins' views on the Earth's shape, but I take a bit of an issue with your sample size. You investigated one site operated by Flat Earthers and attempted to draw a generalised conclusion. If we increase the sample size to two, your ideas become much less convincing.

The most impressive thing on here is a homepage, but that may or may not be just a plugin.
The homepage appears to run on Joomla, and as such is likely an effort separate from the forum.

I dunno about the Tiki Wiki. Judging by how it's nowhere to be found in the actual forum directory, I can assume that is using some other software fitted to be similar to this.
Tiki Wiki is, in fact, the name of the software you're looking for in this particular case.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 03:31:01 PM »
Hi, I'm a reasonably qualified programmer and an FE'er. I'm digging your theory that the site issues are somehow caused by the admins' views on the Earth's shape, but I take a bit of an issue with your sample size. You investigated one site operated by Flat Earthers and attempted to draw a generalised conclusion. If we increase the sample size to two, your ideas become much less convincing.

Sorry I didn't make this more clear, but that was meant as a joke.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »
It's been this way since I joined many years ago.  We used to get DDOS attacks all the time (near daily) and there would be so many guests online that we would run out of bandwidth at around the 20th of every month.  We would have to wait for the new month to come around to reset the plan and gain access to the site.  At least that got better.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 09:11:37 PM »
Sorry I didn't make this more clear, but that was meant as a joke.
Sorry, I got too used to tfes.org's S&C standards. This place feels almost alien to me now. As such, I find myself reading people the entirely wrong way.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:50:39 AM by PizzaPlanet »

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 05:06:33 PM »
We used to get DDOS attacks all the time

You might like to ask Pizza Planet about some of those...  ;)
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »
You do realise that I wasn't even around back in TheEngineer's days, right?

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the DDOS attacks of yesteryear were just as made up as the ones I've heard of.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 11:08:32 AM »
I too must express my disappointment for the sluggishness of this site as I cannot effectively troll the lower fora as fast as I'd like.

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 11:41:24 AM »
Xju Xuamf neopveop e tovi moli vjot?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
This evening at 2045 CST (0245 UTC) things seem to working much faster.
From viewers like us. Thank you !

Chorus:

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 07:40:50 PM »
It has been much better the last few days. To whoever did what, thanks! It's appreciated.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan