Poll

What is your opinion on the United States' gun laws at present?

They are far too restrictive.
8 (44.4%)
They are a little restrictive.
1 (5.6%)
They are fine as it is.
2 (11.1%)
They are a little relaxed.
1 (5.6%)
They are far too relaxed.
5 (27.8%)
None of the above (please specify)
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Gun Violence in the United States

• 407 Replies

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: Gun Violence in the United States
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »
I pulled statistics from the Australian Institute of criminology that says that the murder rate has decreased from 1.9 before the Port Arthur Massacre to 1.3 after the Port Arthur Massacre.
Yes, but what you failed to notice (or perhaps intentionally failed to mention) is that the murder rate had been decreasing for the 15 years leading to the gun restrictions.

Well, if you are being reasonable, say, and instead of 3.5 guns the average gun owner had 27 guns, then I think it is a fair call that that is too many.
Again, says who?  You?  Why do you draw the line at 27?  26 is ok, but 27 is too many?

You keep on bringing up freedom as one of your points.
Say if we had an umpteenth amendment which said that male citizens have the right to rape women if they don't consent.
We could claim that we were more free than you, because rape is illegal in the US.
But then you would be removing freedom from women.  Are you  sexist?

You said self-defence, entertainment, hunting and prevention of tyranny.
The middle two are not truly needed in modern society, except maybe hunting if you live in a remote area.
Prevention of tyranny. What tyranny?
When has the US in its modern form ever had do deal with domestic tyranny that would require armed citizenry?
Entertainment and hunting are not needed in a modern society?  Do you go to the movies?  Watch TV?  Make ridiculous comments on an internet chat forum?  All forms of entertainment.
Again, the same tyranny the Founding Fathers envisioned when they gave us the Second Amendment.

And if a student wants to go on a rampage?
If this happens, then a gun battle will probably ensue. The assailant will probably get killed, but the problem won't be solved.
Sounds like a great outcome to me. 

The murder rate of one state doesn't equal the murder rate of a nation.
My point was that they (Vermont's 16 year olds) don't need handguns.
Says who?  You?  The people of Vermont disagree.  Plus, you are again making my point for me: Vermont has a low murder rate, yet 16 year olds can own a gun.  That pretty much shoots down your own argument.  Thanks.

What if your first impressions are wrong and you murder someone?
  Then you go to prison.  Unless, this is your messed up world where you said a murderer is not a criminal.

If someone breaks into my house with the intent to murder me and mine, then I accept that.
If someone is murdered in Australia, the whole community rallies together.
Positive change comes out of this.
I would let myself die if it would bring about social good.
Lol.   What an asinine statement to make.  Are you 16?  I have a family. I have children that I would do anything to protect.  I wouldn't roll over and let them be killed.

All these are tragedies. No denying that.
But these wouldn't have happened if guns were out of the equation.
You asked why you would need a gun in each of these places.  So there you go.  Examples of exactly why.

If someone is drunk, or high, and we feel threatened by them, we extricate ourselves.
So do we.  Not sure what your point is.

I gave you stats of the entire country.
You gave me a personal statement that said that the homicide rate in New South Wales had stayed the same.
One state.
No, you gave partial stats.  You forgot to mention the homicide rate was decreasing prior to the gun ban.  The research I provided, shows there is no link to the gun ban and homicide rates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse
America has not spread freedom.
Vietnam is now communist.
You backed out of Iraq and Afghanistan, leaving them to fend for themselves.
One example?  Really?  What about Taiwan, South Korea, Philippines, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Iraq (a democracy!) and Afganistan (an emerging democracy).
What about the $40 billion the US government sends to other countries to help their security and raise their people out of poverty?
Or the $212 billion the American people give worldwide (which by the way, makes us the most charitable country on the planet)?

The Sandy Hook shooter used a XM15 Bushmaster assault rifle,
He killed school children.
You think that the solution is to give more people more guns.
Yes, if only someone in that school had been armed, they could have stopped the shooter before he killed so many children.

BTW, he did not use an assault rifle.  Please do some of your own research and don't rely on talking points.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 10:25:59 AM »
Here is a statistic to consider:

"With just one single exception, the attack on congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in Tucson in 2011, every public shooting since at least 1950 in the U.S. in which more than three people have been killed has taken place where citizens are not allowed to carry guns."

Coincidence?  I think not.  Adding more gun free zones will not help the situation because even a rampaging killer knows that law abiding citizens won't bring guns there so they will be sitting ducks, unable to do anything about the shooter.  Are you seriously suggesting that making more gun free zones will help the situation?  I already mentioned some statistics showing that homocide rates are higher in states with stricter gun control.

People need to start fighting the disease, not the symptoms.  Taking away guns doesn't change the fact that some people still want to kill others, and the focus should be on that rather then the weapon they use.  A gun is just a device made out of metal and plastic and it's useless outside if the hands of a living being, they are not evil entities plotting to murder your family.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 04:28:06 PM »
Here is a statistic to consider:

"With just one single exception, the attack on congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in Tucson in 2011, every public shooting since at least 1950 in the U.S. in which more than three people have been killed has taken place where citizens are not allowed to carry guns."

Coincidence?  I think not.  Adding more gun free zones will not help the situation because even a rampaging killer knows that law abiding citizens won't bring guns there so they will be sitting ducks, unable to do anything about the shooter.  Are you seriously suggesting that making more gun free zones will help the situation?  I already mentioned some statistics showing that homocide rates are higher in states with stricter gun control.
When did I mention more gun-free zones? Yes, having more gun-free zones won't work, but the only reason it won't is that America's gun ownership is so high.
We have gun free zones, nearly all urban areas are gun free zones.
Name an Australian elementary school shooting after the gun restrictions. There hasn't been one.
Yet our teachers aren't armed.

People need to start fighting the disease, not the symptoms.  Taking away guns doesn't change the fact that some people still want to kill others, and the focus should be on that rather then the weapon they use.  A gun is just a device made out of metal and plastic and it's useless outside if the hands of a living being, they are not evil entities plotting to murder your family.
True, there is still murder. 200 victims a year in Aus, which is 200 too many.
Isn't your solution of arming citizens so that they can withstand assault also only fighting a symptom?

Lets examine the chain of causality.

1. A person has a mental illness, and feels the need to murder someone.
2. Due to America's fairly lax gun laws, he can buy both guns and ammunition cheaply and within the law.
3. Because of his murderous persuasion, he decides to shoot up a diner.
4. In the first few seconds of the assault, as no one expects a massacre, he kills 15 people.
5. Some citizens run off, some hide, some fight back.
6. Some of those who fight back manage to drive the assailant off.
7. The assailant then, as is so common, kills himself.

The end result is a shooting with 16+ dead and more wounded.
This chain of causality is more like a tree. A tree that needs to be cut down.
Arming citizens more would help #5 and #6.
This is akin to chopping some branches off. You are saving lives, but not stopping the crime.
Due to the nature of both mass killings and a mentally ill person's mind, #4 and #3 can't be helped.
I am proposing that gun restriction would negate step 2.
If guns are either illegal, or are strongly restricted, then he will turn to the black market.
The average black market gun in Australia costs about $15 000 ($10 900 US)
The average black market gun in the US costs a few hundred dollars.
If gun restrictions can make the price of a mere handgun $10 000, then people are less likely to buy them.

I am cutting the tree at the base, leaving a stump.
Admittedly, efforts should be made to pull it out by the roots, i.e. understanding mental illness.
But until such time as that becomes a reality, having the tree as a stump is good enough.
They are taking the hobbits to Isengard.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 06:06:51 PM »
According to the FBI, the number one reason for homicide is arguments.
There were 1 816 murders committed in 2011 that were felony related.
There were nearly 6 000 homicides that arose out of non felonious circumstances.
Out of all murders in a calendar year, two thirds were committed with guns, half with handguns.
Three thousand three hundred Americans were killed as a result of arguments. Each year.
That is more then those killed in the September 11 attacks.

We have arguments in Australia.
But we don't kill that many of our fellows each year as the US does.
If there is a heated argument, we don't have the readily available option of shooting the person.
So if the gun restrictions in Aus were implemented in the US, and the same results were observed, and 74 percent of gun murders wouldn't happen, how many lives would be saved?

That is 6352 people not being murdered each year.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 08:38:06 AM »
There were nearly 6 000 homicides that arose out of non felonious circumstances.
Out of all murders in a calendar year, two thirds were committed with guns, half with handguns.
Three thousand three hundred Americans were killed as a result of arguments. Each year.

If there is a heated argument, we don't have the readily available option of shooting the person.
So if the gun restrictions in Aus were implemented in the US, and the same results were observed, and 74 percent of gun murders wouldn't happen, how many lives would be saved?

You assume that if these people didn't have guns then they wouldn't kill anyone, this is a logical fallacy.  A few years ago there was a murder that happened a few miles from my house where an insane man killed his wife with a hammer.  The point is that without guns people still kill each other.  I should clarify that that murder I mentioned was the only homicide I have ever been within 10 miles of as far as I know, and it's certainly not a regular occurrence.

The homicide rates in Utah are about the same as the homicide rates in Australia and there are 7 guns in my house.  I should clarify that we don't feel like we need that many to be safe, it's just that sharp shooting is a fun sport.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 04:27:34 PM »

You assume that if these people didn't have guns then they wouldn't kill anyone, this is a logical fallacy.  A few years ago there was a murder that happened a few miles from my house where an insane man killed his wife with a hammer.  The point is that without guns people still kill each other.  I should clarify that that murder I mentioned was the only homicide I have ever been within 10 miles of as far as I know, and it's certainly not a regular occurrence.

The homicide rates in Utah are about the same as the homicide rates in Australia and there are 7 guns in my house.  I should clarify that we don't feel like we need that many to be safe, it's just that sharp shooting is a fun sport.
No, I'm not saying that there won't be murder, that would indeed be a fallacy.
The topic of this debate is whether gun control would reduce murder.
Following the implementation of gun restrictions is Australia, the gun murder rate dropped by 74 percent.
Engineer raised the point that people still murdered.
Of course people will still murder, why would gun control stop all murder?
Considering that two thirds of all murders in the US are with guns, then gun control, like observed in Australia, would save thousands of lives.
Unless, of course, there is an inherent difference between our two cultures that is the reason for the murder discrepancy.

A big point raised by the members opposite is that even with gun control, criminals would still murder.
The essence of this argument is that because good people will do good, and bad people will do bad, no restrictions are going to help this.
We can extend their argument to the point where murder is not a crime.
Good people will not murder, and criminals still will murder.
How about stealing?
Good people know not to steal, so they won't do it.
Bad people have always stolen, so the law won't make any difference.

What about open carry?
What if it became legal to carry your assault weapon out, safety off, in public?
If you are a law-abiding citizen, then you won't kill anyone, right?
If you're a criminal, then you were always going to kill people, right?

As the FBI tells us, most homicides arise out of non-felonious circumstances.
Not in the process of a robbery, not gang-related (at least primarily) but as the outcome of an argument.
Dispute my evidence, fine.
But when the 'murder rate as a result of an argument' in the US is the same as the total murder rate in Australia, then something has to be wrong.

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 04:14:04 AM »
I think the biggest issue here is the extensive and inherent gun culture within America. There are a some developed countries that have similar, although still stricter, gun laws to America, but the reason you don't see the same level of violence is because of the significant cultural difference. This includes a respect for the danger associated with guns, and that guns are last resort, rather than a first.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2015, 05:32:04 AM »
As no one appears to be adding anything to the conversation, I shall.
My comments today will be focusing on the points raised by the opposition, and to rebut them.

"More guns makes the public safer."
We all know that the US has the highest public gun ownership in the world.
If the public having more guns meant that any societal benefit would be achieved, then the United States should be head and shoulders out in front in terms of that benefit being ranked. Followed by Yemen.

"Criminals would still murder, they don't listen to the law anyhow."
How would one define a criminal if they haven't offended yet?
If someone has not yet committed their crime, then they aren't criminals, and as such, still count as 'law abiding citizens'.
So we have a situation where it is too easy for someone with murderous intent to kill large numbers of people.

This entire point is illogical.
The essence of this argument is that criminals by definition are outside the law, and as such, making laws won't affect them.
This is ludicrous on the face of it.
We can extend this flawed logic further to drugs.
'Law abiding citizens' like us won't take drugs, only criminals will, so why not legalise it?
In summary: this point is saying that unless we can stop all murder, there's no point in doing anything at all.

"People will still murder with things other than guns, e.g. knives"
True, people always will murder, sadly. Human nature and all that.
But when two thirds of all murder in the US is done with a firearm, then it is a problem.
When eight thousand Americans are murdered each year with firearms (Four as many as died in Afghanistan), then it is an issue worth discussing.
The US has the thirteenth highest firearm related death rate in the world. It is an issue worth discussing.

Also, guns are designed to kill.
They are designed to be accurate, fast shooting, and deadly.
If the only firearm available was a musket, then I'm all for the Second Amendment.
Three shots a minute that are inaccurate at long range is fine by me.

"Guns make people safer at home"
There are three ways in which you can be killed with a gun.
Homicide, Suicide and by accident.
The risk rate of all three rises if guns are readily available, as studies show.
http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/9/1/48.full
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457502000490
Apparently 43 percent of gun owners who have kids don't lock up all guns securely.
That can't be good for the children, surely?

"What about New Zealand?"
This is a good example, like Switzerland, of a society that has access to semi automatic weapons etc. and has a low murder rate.
They both, however, have strict gun control in other areas like licensing etc.
In Switzerland, everyone serves in the military, and has training, and must be fit to serve, i.e. not felons or mentally ill.
Likewise, if you are a felon or mentally ill, then you can't get guns in NZ.
Intersting to note that both these countries' firearm related death rate is higher that Australia's, though.

"Mental health should be the focus"
Absolutely agree. It should be a focus.
But unless you can cure all mental illness, then there needs to be preventative measures elsewhere also.
For at least the time being, mental illness and the tendency to murder are both inevitabilities.
It is therefore reasonable to make the preventative measure the restriction of guns.
If the same measures that were done in Aus. were done in the US, had the same result observed, which there is no reason they shouldn't, then isn't that reasonable.

"Guns would help protect women"
6 times as many women were shot by husbands, partners and ex-partners than were murdered by a stranger.

"The Second Amendment means that I can have guns"
This argument make the assumption that the US Constitution is both unchangeable and perfect.
The US constitution is no more important than any other country's.
It can easily be changed.
The Fifteenth Amendment was written to free slaves, i.e. rid the slave holders of their purchased property.
So there could easily have been made the same arguments about the government taking people's slaves.
'People have always had slaves' 'My family has always had slaves'
'If I didn't have slaves, then I would feel threatened'
'I don't mistreat my slaves, so why should they get taken off me?'
Which brings me to the final opposition point;

"Why should the actions of others affect what I am able to do?"
This is what it comes down to.
After all the reasons and examples of other countries, this is what the debate boils down to.
'I dont misuse my guns, so why should I not have them?'
'Why should this one psycho shooting up a school mean that I cant have an assault rifle?'

True.
The actions of others don't mean that you will commit these actions.
But that is not how society works.
Maybe you can drive your car at 100 mph and not kill anyone.
But Mr. Johnson from down the road drove at 100 in a 50 zone and killed school children.
So now we can't.

Maybe you can take meth and not get addicted or murderous.
But Mr. Smith took some and strangled his kids before cutting his own wrists.
So now we can't.

Someone fell out of their fiftieth storey window, so now they don't open.
Someone drunk drove and died, so now we can't.
Someone killed 35 people in Australia with an assault rifle, so now we can't have them.

Maybe you won't kill anyone with your guns, but eight thousand Americans are murdered with guns each year.
Twice that number again kill themselves with guns.

That leaves twenty four thousand reasons each year for gun control.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2015, 11:59:58 AM »
I see you have still ignored my last post.

-- Bob Hudson

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2015, 05:38:36 PM »
I see you have still ignored my last post.
Which part did I ignore?

"Homicide rates already decreasing in Aus."
Of course, but a just because a reaction is occurring, doesn't mean that a catalyst doesn't do anything.
Gun control stopped gun violence, which is the topic of this debate.

"Why should the government determine how many guns I should and should not have?"
Firstly, the government places other restrictions on citizens, like taxes and laws and such, so it is reasonable that there should be a limit.
Secondly, common sense tells us that there should be a limit.
One gun for target shooting.
One gun for skeet shooting.
One for self defence.

But unless you are going to practice skeet and marksmanship in your backyard, then those could conceivably be locked up at the range. That leaves one gun for self defence in the home.
I used 27 as an example of a number that I thought was so ridiculous, the you would then see my point. I was wrong.

"The Second amendment protects me from tyranny"
If this statement is true, then two thirds of Americans should be under a tyrannical despot while the gun owners aren't.
Firstly, your government is not tyrannous. Americans are still living their normal lives.
And you have democracy.
Secondly, guns do not equal more freedom.
If more guns equal more x, then the USA should be top of the list.
In the Democracy index, Australia, with less guns, is ninth.
The USA with lots of guns, is nineteenth.
If your government is tyrannous, then is your fault for electing them.

"The assailant getting killed is a great outcome"
No doubt it is a great outcome. But it doesn't prevent mass shootings form happening tomorrow, or next week.
Doctors always say: 'Prevention is better than a cure'
This argument also implies that places with concealed carry will have less shootings.
There should be no mass shootings in Oregon's colleges, as they can have concealed carry. Oh wait.

Also, picture the following scenario: A shooter walks into a college and opens fire.
The police are called, and some students start firing back.
When the police arrive, they can see a gun battle.
Are you relying on them to make the right call about who to apprehend and who to not?
If there is only one person with a gun, then the police can know who the assailant is immediately.

"Vermont has a low crime rate and yet 16 year olds can own handguns"
True. There are some states, particularly in New England, that have low crime rates and lax gun laws.
But when you look at the country as a whole, when you look at the United States of America, then the stats aren't in your favour.
When your country has the highest first world crime rate, lowest first world peace index rating, the highest first world firearm related death rate, the second highest world incarceration rate, the highest first world homicide rate, and
The worlds highest public firearm ownership rate.
There is a problem.

You cant say that more guns would make the situation better.
Statistically, you can't.
It is plausible to draw a connection between firearm ownership and firearm death.
It is not also plausible to draw a connection between firearm ownership and murder? And suicide?

If your side is correct, and guns mean that there would be less murder, less shootings, less crime in general; then the USA should have the lowest crime rate, the lowest homicide rate and the least shootings in the world.
But it doesn't.

Gun advocates say that shootings are a mental health issue, not a gun control issue.
Funny, that when other countries have gun control, our mental health issue goes away.
Fancy that?

So, engineer, I think I addressed all your points.
Now be a good boy and reciprocate.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2015, 11:55:18 AM »
Another great video about gun control:

https://www.facebook.com/rik.sexton/videos/4123638147897/

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 02:20:51 AM »
Another great video about gun control:

https://www.facebook.com/rik.sexton/videos/4123638147897/
Are you going to address my points? My rebuttals? No?

I shall now give comments on mr Virtual President's speech.
Full of passion, full of verve. In that sense, a great speech.
His two main points are, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that guns protect against tyranny; and that they shouldn't have the blame of violence upon them, the focus should be on the root cause.

Now, again, if guns cause there to be less crime, then the US should have the lowest crime rate in the world.

If taking away guns from law abiding citizens leaves them vulnerable to murder, rape etc. then countries like Australia should have really high rape and murder.

If disarming the public leads to governmental violence, then Australians should be getting killed all the time by the government.

If concealed carry prevents rape, then states, and countries, without concealed carry should have higher rape levels than those that have concealed carry.

If gun control advocates wanted total disarmament of the American people, then half your points would be valid.

Find me the statistics that show that the US has the lowest crime rate in the world.
Find me the statistics that show how much higher Australia's rape and murder is than the US.
Find me the facts that show that Australians are getting killed by our government.
Find me the rape statistics.
Find me gun control advocates that want total disarmament.

In the meantime, respond to my points, if you please, and I shall leave you with some statistics of my own.

States with Stand Your Ground laws have 7 to 10 percent higher homicide rates.
http://econweb.tamu.edu/mhoekstra/castle_doctrine.pdf

10 times more Americans are shot and killed in arguments than by justifiable homicide.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-15
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-11

A woman's chances of being killed during an assault increase fivefold if the abuser has a gun
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1447915/

62 percent of online gun sellers don't ask for a background check
http://www.fixgunchecks.org/deleteonlineoutlaws

Again, my points, please

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2015, 10:08:58 AM »
You are forgetting that Austrailia and America are not the only two countries in the world.  If you take all other countries into account you find that there is no correlation between gun control and crime.  There are many difference between Austrailia and America, and coronation is not nesesarily causation.

Being an American citizen, I am very familiar with American politics and they are kind of a mess.  There has been a fair bit of corruption exposed like congress men bribing each other to vote for bills to become laws, and there was even a bit of suspicious stuff surrounding the last election.  The school system is pretty bad, and most of the US budget is used to sustain the most I nesesarily huge overkill army on Earth even though the money is desperately needed elsewhere.  There are many issues like abortion and gun control that are so controversial that they have the potential to cause a second civil war.  Many people are preparing for a government collapse and/or tyrany because right now that stuff is starting to look likely.  The point I am trying to make is that the lack of gun control is not why crime rates are so high here, you have to consider that there are many other huge differences to consider.

Here is a website I found with a lot of statistics to consider:
http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/guns-in-other-countries/

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
You are forgetting that Austrailia and America are not the only two countries in the world.  If you take all other countries into account you find that there is no correlation between gun control and crime.  There are many difference between Austrailia and America, and coronation is not nesesarily causation.
In first world countries, there is definitely a correlation.
I can link to the firearm related death rates if you want.
And to what differences are you referring?
Are these differences so vast that they would explain the discrepancy?

Being an American citizen, I am very familiar with American politics and they are kind of a mess.  There has been a fair bit of corruption exposed like congress men bribing each other to vote for bills to become laws, and there was even a bit of suspicious stuff surrounding the last election.  The school system is pretty bad, and most of the US budget is used to sustain the most I nesesarily huge overkill army on Earth even though the money is desperately needed elsewhere. 
True, your army doesn't need to be that big.
True, your political system is kind of stuffed.
True, your schooling isn't great.

There are many issues like abortion and gun control that are so controversial that they have the potential to cause a second civil war. 
What?
A second civil war over one issue that is personal choice, and one that is common sense?

Many people are preparing for a government collapse and/or tyrany because right now that stuff is starting to look likely.
Not from down here is doesn't.

The point I am trying to make is that the lack of gun control is not why crime rates are so high here, you have to consider that there are many other huge differences to consider.
Again, what differences?
But lets examine this claim, that the lack of gun control is not why crime rates are so high.
Maybe if the US had the same system as Switzerland, i.e. the militia, and gun ownership remained high, then yes.
And maybe the reason for the US's high murder rate is because you are inherently violent.
And if that is the case, then it makes sense to have tighter restrictions on weapon ownership.
If americans are more inclined to murder, then it makes sense to not give them more tools to do it with.

I'll say it again, as it is my main point, "If guns provide any societal benefit, then the USA must be leading in a scalar measure of that societal benefit"
Yes, they aren't the worst in anything.
But if publicly owned guns lower violent crime, then the US should have the lowest violent crime rate in the world.
If publicly owned guns stop mass shootings, then the US should not have mass shootings.

We can mirror these also.
If a disarmed public has more violent crime, then Japan should have one of the highest crime rates in the world.
If a lack of publicly owned firearms make mass shootings more likely, then Australia should have lots more mass shootings then we do.

Here is a website I found with a lot of statistics to consider:
http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/guns-in-other-countries/
Looks really interesting, thanks.
Will give it a look-see

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 01:54:44 PM »

I don't know the exact cause, but gun rules are not it because in the US states with high gun control have high crime and states with low gun control have low crime.

There are also some issues with the poliece force.  In many cases if you call the poliece and order pizza at the same time then the pizza will arrive first.  And if that isn't bad enough, the poliece have a reputation for being violently thanks to the media highlighting events like one a while ago where a white (and rather insane) poliece officer shooting a black man.  I am willing to bet that this has something to do with the crime rates.

What?
A second civil war over one issue that is personal choice, and one that is common sense?

That's the probelem: both sides think that their views are self evident.  The first civil war was about slavery, which is very obviously wrong in today's society yet people advocated it to the extent that the southern states left the union until the northern states won and brought them back.  The point is: wars have been fought over dumber things.

Being someone who lives in Anerica I can tell you that it's a lot worse from this perspective.

Again, what differences?
But lets examine this claim, that the lack of gun control is not why crime rates are so high.
Maybe if the US had the same system as Switzerland, i.e. the militia, and gun ownership remained high, then yes.
And maybe the reason for the US's high murder rate is because you are inherently violent.
And if that is the case, then it makes sense to have tighter restrictions on weapon ownership.
If americans are more inclined to murder, then it makes sense to not give them more tools to do it with.

You can never take away the tools for people to kill each other.  People can kill each other with heavy rocks, sharp sticks, poison, knives, scissors, explosives, and even their bare hands.  Killing has happened since long before guns were invented and it will continue even if they are taken away.  American people are not inherently more violent then anywhere else, we just have some probelems to work out.

I'll say it again, as it is my main point, "If guns provide any societal benefit, then the USA must be leading in a scalar measure of that societal benefit"
But if publicly owned guns lower violent crime, then the US should have the lowest violent crime rate in the world.
If publicly owned guns stop mass shootings, then the US should not have mass shootings.

Crime rates are influenced by more then one factor.  Internationally there is no correlation between gun ownership and crime, but in individual states crime goes down when gun ownership goes up.  All 50 states are under the same central government, but the states have control of smaller details like gun control.  Statistically speaking, the states are great for gathering statistical data because it eliminates variables.  There are outliers as you might expect as there are still uncontrolled variables, but the correlation is very clear: guns prevent crime.

As for the mass shooting you mentioned, all but one of those happened in gun free zones.

If a disarmed public has more violent crime, then Japan should have one of the highest crime rates in the world.
If a lack of publicly owned firearms make mass shootings more likely, then Australia should have lots more mass shootings then we do.

As I said before, gun ownership is not the only factor influencing crime.  If it were then a correlation of some kind should exist between gun ownership and crime rates internationally, but in reality no such correlation.

Will give it a look-see

By all means do.  It debunks most of what you have been saying.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 02:48:57 PM »

I don't know the exact cause, but gun rules are not it because in the US states with high gun control have high crime and states with low gun control have low crime.
I would argue that everywhere in the United States, your gun laws are lenient.
I'd say that your point here is that "Gun availability is linked to reduction in crime", right?
Will address at end.

Quote from: mikeman7918

There are also some issues with the poliece force.  In many cases if you call the poliece and order pizza at the same time then the pizza will arrive first.  And if that isn't bad enough, the poliece have a reputation for being violently thanks to the media highlighting events like one a while ago where a white (and rather insane) poliece officer shooting a black man.  I am willing to bet that this has something to do with the crime rates.
Okay, so your police force needs work.
But let's not forget that most murders arise out of non felonious circumstances, so the police might only get involved once it is too late.

What?

That's the probelem: both sides think that their views are self evident.  The first civil war was about slavery, which is very obviously wrong in today's society yet people advocated it to the extent that the southern states left the union until the northern states won and brought them back.  The point is: wars have been fought over dumber things.
True, but I thought that the US has changed since the 1860's.
And if the public is so divided on it, have a referendum.
Get the public to vote on whether the Second Amendment is null and void.
If the public is overwhelmingly pro-gun, then thats fine, that is their choice.
If the public is overwhelmingly in favour of gun control, then that is their choice.

Being someone who lives in Anerica I can tell you that it's a lot worse from this perspective.
So maybe the murder discrepancy is part of the buildup to the second civil war?

Again, what differences?

You can never take away the tools for people to kill each other.  People can kill each other with heavy rocks, sharp sticks, poison, knives, scissors, explosives, and even their bare hands.  Killing has happened since long before guns were invented and it will continue even if they are taken away.  American people are not inherently more violent then anywhere else, we just have some probelems to work out.
Yes, of course there will still be murder. But two thirds are done with a firearm.
I believe your point essentially is that murder will always happen, and nothing we can do can stop this.
Interesting.
So tell me about how much higher the murder rate is in the US compared to other first world countries.

Crime rates are influenced by more then one factor.  Internationally there is no correlation between gun ownership and crime, but in individual states crime goes down when gun ownership goes up.  All 50 states are under the same central government, but the states have control of smaller details like gun control.  Statistically speaking, the states are great for gathering statistical data because it eliminates variables.  There are outliers as you might expect as there are still uncontrolled variables, but the correlation is very clear: guns prevent crime.

As for the mass shooting you mentioned, all but one of those happened in gun free zones.
In individual states, gun death goes up as gun ownership goes up.
But internationally, yes the countries with the highest murder rates also have gun control.
But these are third world countries.
If we look at first world countries, they all have lower gun ownership than the US, and lower murder and crime rates.

As I said before, gun ownership is not the only factor influencing crime.  If it were then a correlation of some kind should exist between gun ownership and crime rates internationally, but in reality no such correlation.
So what huge overarching differences have you found between Australia and Japan, and the USA?
I'll say it again, if guns provide any societal benefit, then the US should be leading in that societal benefit.
Unless you admit that countries with gun control still can and do have lower murder, lower crime, lower suicide and still have democracy.

Will give it a look-see

By all means do.  It debunks most of what you have been saying.
Most, but not all.
And the sources they are pulling from are very subjective and limited.
I believe I posted an essay a few posts back, could one of you gun advocates please address the points I've raised there?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2015, 06:35:53 PM »
Okay, so your police force needs work.
But let's not forget that most murders arise out of non felonious circumstances, so the police might only get involved once it is too late.

Exactly, and that's why people need guns to defend themselves.

True, but I thought that the US has changed since the 1860's.
And if the public is so divided on it, have a referendum.
Get the public to vote on whether the Second Amendment is null and void.
If the public is overwhelmingly pro-gun, then thats fine, that is their choice.
If the public is overwhelmingly in favour of gun control, then that is their choice.

I definitely agree, we need to vote on this.  People who oppose gun control are trying to get the people who advocate gun control to do this, the problem is that everybody knows what the outcome of the vote will be: popular opinion here is that gun control is bad and for the second amendment to be changed the vast majority must agree that gun control is good.

So maybe the murder discrepancy is part of the buildup to the second civil war?

I highly doubt it.  If most murders happened over arguments about hotly debated political issues then that would be the obvious assumption, but that's not the case as far as I know.  I don't really know what the cause of the high homicide rate is, but I know it's not guns because here in Utah crime is low and gun ownership is high.

Yes, of course there will still be murder. But two thirds are done with a firearm.
I believe your point essentially is that murder will always happen, and nothing we can do can stop this.
Interesting.
So tell me about how much higher the murder rate is in the US compared to other first world countries.

The US has a very high homicide rate compared to other countries, but if guns were the cause then Switzerland would have high crime too, but it doesn't.  Also, if you look at Mexico they have lots of gun control and very high crime.  I have been to Mexico once, my brother left his phone unattended for 5 minutes and it was stolen.  Not a very great place to be.

In individual states, gun death goes up as gun ownership goes up.
But internationally, yes the countries with the highest murder rates also have gun control.
But these are third world countries.
If we look at first world countries, they all have lower gun ownership than the US, and lower murder and crime rates.

Gun deaths is not the same as murder.  60% of the gun deaths in the US are suicides, not homicides.  The suicide rate in the US is 11% above the international average and that accounts for much of the difference.  Also, just because a gun was the murder weapon in many cases doesn't mean that it wouldn't be replaced by another murder weapon if gun's were harder to get.  If you look at overall homicide rates then states with more gun control have more murders.

So what huge overarching differences have you found between Australia and Japan, and the USA?
I'll say it again, if guns provide any societal benefit, then the US should be leading in that societal benefit.
Unless you admit that countries with gun control still can and do have lower murder, lower crime, lower suicide and still have democracy.

The United States has been a free country for a really long time.  Whenever tyranny happens it always starts with gun control.  Besides recreation there are two reason s why Americans have guns: to defend against criminals and to defend against the government.  A government cannot tyrannically rule over an armed population, the people who founded the nation knew this which is why they created the second amendment.  When the US government system was being devised the goal was to create a democracy that will always remain a democracy without anyone getting too much power, and even though a bit of corruption is sneaking into the system it has held up very well all things considered because despite it's current short comings the people still have ultimate power.  The government exists to serve the people, not the other way around.  Having weapons gives people the right to take away a government's right to govern if needs be.  That's the social benefit that the US has,

Australia may not be a tyranny, but it's way more likely to happen there then here and all just to take away guns which internationally have no correlation with crime.

Most, but not all.
And the sources they are pulling from are very subjective and limited.
I believe I posted an essay a few posts back, could one of you gun advocates please address the points I've raised there?

I will do that right now:

As no one appears to be adding anything to the conversation, I shall.
My comments today will be focusing on the points raised by the opposition, and to rebut them.

"More guns makes the public safer."
We all know that the US has the highest public gun ownership in the world.
If the public having more guns meant that any societal benefit would be achieved, then the United States should be head and shoulders out in front in terms of that benefit being ranked. Followed by Yemen.

That would be the case if guns were the only factor, but they are clearly not because Switzerland has tons of guns and low crime while Mexico has very few guns and tons of crime.  If it were the only factor and you were right then Mexico would have very low crime and Switzerland would have tons of crime.

"Criminals would still murder, they don't listen to the law anyhow."
How would one define a criminal if they haven't offended yet?
If someone has not yet committed their crime, then they aren't criminals, and as such, still count as 'law abiding citizens'.
So we have a situation where it is too easy for someone with murderous intent to kill large numbers of people.

And those aforementioned crazy people would be shot in a matter of seconds before they could do much harm once everybody knew what was going on.  Shooters pick gun free zones to do their shootings in for a reason you know, they may be crazy but they still have common sense.

This entire point is illogical.
The essence of this argument is that criminals by definition are outside the law, and as such, making laws won't affect them.
This is ludicrous on the face of it.
We can extend this flawed logic further to drugs.
'Law abiding citizens' like us won't take drugs, only criminals will, so why not legalise it?
In summary: this point is saying that unless we can stop all murder, there's no point in doing anything at all.

It's still possible to get your hands on illegal drugs even though they are illegal, and the same applies with guns.  Even in Australia gun related crime still exists.

"People will still murder with things other than guns, e.g. knives"
True, people always will murder, sadly. Human nature and all that.
But when two thirds of all murder in the US is done with a firearm, then it is a problem.
When eight thousand Americans are murdered each year with firearms (Four as many as died in Afghanistan), then it is an issue worth discussing.
The US has the thirteenth highest firearm related death rate in the world. It is an issue worth discussing.

If guns were banned then those people would pick a different murder weapon.  If they are bent on killing someone then they wouldn't be picky about how it's done.  People killed each other as much as ever even before guns were invented.

Also, guns are designed to kill.
They are designed to be accurate, fast shooting, and deadly.
If the only firearm available was a musket, then I'm all for the Second Amendment.
Three shots a minute that are inaccurate at long range is fine by me.

I would be all for that too if only we could take all modern guns away from the black market and the government so that criminals don't have the upper hand and the government doesn't have the power to tyrannically rule the people.  Unfortunately though, modern guns exist so in order to defend ourselves we too need modern guns.  It would also be hard to conceal carry those things, which means that they wouldn't be readily available when you need them.

"Guns make people safer at home"
There are three ways in which you can be killed with a gun.
Homicide, Suicide and by accident.
The risk rate of all three rises if guns are readily available, as studies show.
http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/9/1/48.full
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457502000490
Apparently 43 percent of gun owners who have kids don't lock up all guns securely.
That can't be good for the children, surely?

Under that logic knives should be banned too because if parents are not responsible a kid could hurt themselves with it.  If parents want to be idiots with their guns then that's not the government's problem.

"What about New Zealand?"
This is a good example, like Switzerland, of a society that has access to semi automatic weapons etc. and has a low murder rate.
They both, however, have strict gun control in other areas like licensing etc.
In Switzerland, everyone serves in the military, and has training, and must be fit to serve, i.e. not felons or mentally ill.
Likewise, if you are a felon or mentally ill, then you can't get guns in NZ.
Intersting to note that both these countries' firearm related death rate is higher that Australia's, though.

Canada is stricter with guns then the US and yet some of it's provinces have crime rates above the US national average, and there is no correlation between gun control and crime.

"Mental health should be the focus"
Absolutely agree. It should be a focus.
But unless you can cure all mental illness, then there needs to be preventative measures elsewhere also.
For at least the time being, mental illness and the tendency to murder are both inevitabilities.
It is therefore reasonable to make the preventative measure the restriction of guns.
If the same measures that were done in Aus. were done in the US, had the same result observed, which there is no reason they shouldn't, then isn't that reasonable.

Again, almost all public mass shootings occur in gun free zones with only a single exception, and if we take away gun free zones then those people would either be discouraged in fear of their own safety or taken down before they can do much harm.

"Guns would help protect women"
6 times as many women were shot by husbands, partners and ex-partners than were murdered by a stranger.

And if these women had guns too then it would be a fair fight.

"The Second Amendment means that I can have guns"
This argument make the assumption that the US Constitution is both unchangeable and perfect.
The US constitution is no more important than any other country's.
It can easily be changed.
The Fifteenth Amendment was written to free slaves, i.e. rid the slave holders of their purchased property.
So there could easily have been made the same arguments about the government taking people's slaves.
'People have always had slaves' 'My family has always had slaves'
'If I didn't have slaves, then I would feel threatened'
'I don't mistreat my slaves, so why should they get taken off me?'

The reason slavery was finally ended was because it's morally wrong to own another human being.  On the other hand, owning a gun, which is just a machine made out of metal and plastic, is no more morally wrong then owning a car in and of it's self.  The issues in question are about if making guns illegal will change anything for the better and if everyone will be better off because of it.  If all slaves were robots instead of people then I would have nothing against slavery.

Which brings me to the final opposition point;

"Why should the actions of others affect what I am able to do?"
This is what it comes down to.
After all the reasons and examples of other countries, this is what the debate boils down to.
'I dont misuse my guns, so why should I not have them?'
'Why should this one psycho shooting up a school mean that I cant have an assault rifle?'

True.
The actions of others don't mean that you will commit these actions.
But that is not how society works.
Maybe you can drive your car at 100 mph and not kill anyone.
But Mr. Johnson from down the road drove at 100 in a 50 zone and killed school children.
So now we can't.

Maybe you can take meth and not get addicted or murderous.
But Mr. Smith took some and strangled his kids before cutting his own wrists.
So now we can't.

Someone fell out of their fiftieth storey window, so now they don't open.
Someone drunk drove and died, so now we can't.
Someone killed 35 people in Australia with an assault rifle, so now we can't have them.

Maybe you won't kill anyone with your guns, but eight thousand Americans are murdered with guns each year.
Twice that number again kill themselves with guns.

That leaves twenty four thousand reasons each year for gun control.

If opening 50th story windows and drunk driving could also do good like guns then there would have been a lot more controversy about them being banned.  Good law abiding people who have gun's don't just not use them for harm, they can use them for good by protecting themselves and those around them if needs be.  For every gun wielding criminal out there there are 10 gun wielding heroes that would risk their lives to stop the criminals.  Controlling guns may take them away from a few crazy people but it would also take them away from nearly all people who would use them only for good.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2015, 11:22:25 PM »
So, engineer, I think I addressed all your points.
Now be a good boy and reciprocate.
You forgot this one, which I think is the heart of your argument:

Lol.   What an asinine statement to make.  Are you 16?  I have a family. I have children that I would do anything to protect.  I wouldn't roll over and let them be killed.

Enough with the foolishness.  Let's look at a real world example of gun restrictions and what effect that has on the society.

Washington, DC.

In the 5 years leading up to the 1977 ban, the murder rate fell from 37 to 27 per 100,000 people.
In the five years after the ban took effect, the murder rate went up to 35/100,000.  Then there was a massive increase in the 90's to 81/100,000!
Between 2008 and 2012, the FBI statistics indicate that murders declined by about 10% nationally for cities sized similar to DC. 
In late 2008, the gun ban was struck down.  In the following four years (2008-2012), murder rate dropped by 42%!

Gun Ownership vs Gun Murder

The top 10 states for gun ownership have ownership rates of >50% and an average gun murder rate of 1.87 per 100,000 people.

The bottom 10 states for gun ownership have ownership rates of <22% and an average gun murder rate of 3.98 per 100,000 people.

If we split the country in half and look at the numbers:
The top 26 states in gun ownership rates have a combined average gun murder rate of 2.33 per 100,000 people.

The bottom 25 (this includes Washington, DC which has the lowest gun ownership rate in the US) has a combined average murder rate of 3.27 per 100,000 people.

The stats seem pretty clear.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 03:22:17 PM »
The plan is to take all the guns which I disagree with.
As a mature responsible person I should have the human right to choose as to have a gun or not.
I want to protect myself and family, the police will not come in time if at all.

Interestingly Switzerland is one of the highest gun owners per head of population in the world, yet one of the lowest crime rates.
How come all the lone gun man shootings are happening in the US but not Switzerland?

And how come most of the shooters are on psychotic drugs?
60,000 people die each year of properly prescribed drugs, and I wonder how many road fatalities?

Yet the government and media want you to focus on gun crimes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:24:21 PM by In the moment »

?

guv

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
Just listening to the news, 3 murders, 2 armed robbery's. Welcome to Perth, We don't have any guns but we still got nutters.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 02:17:40 AM »
The plan is to take all the guns which I disagree with.
As a mature responsible person I should have the human right to choose as to have a gun or not.
I want to protect myself and family, the police will not come in time if at all.

Interestingly Switzerland is one of the highest gun owners per head of population in the world, yet one of the lowest crime rates.
How come all the lone gun man shootings are happening in the US but not Switzerland?

And how come most of the shooters are on psychotic drugs?
60,000 people die each year of properly prescribed drugs, and I wonder how many road fatalities?

Yet the government and media want you to focus on gun crimes.
Since when was the plan to take all the guns?
And people do die in switzerland, but they have a militia system, which is effective gun control.
To have a gun, a swiss citizen has to be militarily trained.
But, yeah, the plan is not to take all guns, just to have a bit more control over who gets them, what kind they are, and where can they be taken.

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2015, 05:35:42 AM »
I was talking to a friend about gun control and he brought up an interesting point of view.
What if we make it really easy for registered gun owners to have all kinds of firearms and have concealed carry etc.
But we make it a lot harder for people to get gun registration.
eg. felons and the mentally ill won't have access.
Could this work?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2015, 01:14:38 PM »
I was talking to a friend about gun control and he brought up an interesting point of view.
What if we make it really easy for registered gun owners to have all kinds of firearms and have concealed carry etc.
Could this work?

That is pretty much the way it already is here in the US.  The problem is that anyone can get an illegal firearm.  Laws only stop people from getting legal weapons. 

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2015, 12:40:00 AM »
registered gun owners
No, thanks.  I like my guns unregistered. 

-- Bob Hudson

Scroto Gaggins

• Hobbiton represent
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2015, 01:27:48 AM »
Could this work?

That is pretty much the way it already is here in the US.  The problem is that anyone can get an illegal firearm.  Laws only stop people from getting legal weapons.
So if laws won't stop illegal acts from taking place, as you are claiming, then why do you think we have laws?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2015, 01:50:51 AM »
Could this work?

So if laws won't stop illegal acts from taking place, as you are claiming, then why do you think we have laws?

If someone wants to break into your house to steal your TV, do you think they even consider that it is against the law to do so?

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2015, 06:13:59 AM »
Oregon shooting is a hoax like most school shootings. How can you keep falling for the same story over and over again?
But you don't deny that shootings happen a lot more regularly in America then any other first-world country?
And that the rather lax gun laws are a direct cause of this?

I live in Australia, where there was a pretty nasty massacre at Port Arthur in Tasmania.
I think that 35 people were killed or something.
The government of the time then passed extreme gun legislation that basically stopped gun violence in Australia.

And about all this being hoaxes.
Admittedly, this could be true.
But who faked it, and for what benefit?
And it is also possible that the figures are not exaggerated, that these massacres are happening.
And if thats the case, then something must be done to stop this problem.
http://southeastasianews.org/portarthur/the_facts.html
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »

Ths main purpose of laws is not to eradicate crime, but to reduce it by punishong people who break the law so they will think twice about doing it again.

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2015, 09:33:21 AM »
So much in this thread I need to get around to replying to.

Anyway, gotta go load up and do some target shooting shortly with some scary looking high-powered sniper assault ghost guns with high-capacity magazineclips and the shoulder thingy that goes up..... as a gun-hater would put it.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2015, 12:03:51 PM »

Ths main purpose of laws is not to eradicate crime, but to reduce it by punishong people who break the law so they will think twice about doing it again.

Some people would argue that the punishment is a deterrent, and that this is the main reason for punishing the criminals.  Others will argue for retribution, and still others, such as yourself, argue for rehabilitation.  I think one thing we can all agree on is that laws do not stop crime.  When someone has the idea to commit a crime, the do not stop when they realize that it is against the law.