Someone explain the basics

• 75 Replies
Someone explain the basics
« on: September 24, 2015, 05:37:38 AM »
Hi, firstly I'd just like to say I'm not here to start any arguments, but I'd just like to know the basic reasoning or (non pseudo) scientific evidence evidence that people who believe in a flat earth use to back up their claim. As someone who is studying for a degree in physics I think I have pretty irrefutable evidence that the earth is spherical, so I'd love to hear some counter arguments. Thanks!

Re: Someone explain the basics
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 06:01:44 AM »
Hi, firstly I'd just like to say I'm not here to start any arguments, but I'd just like to know the basic reasoning or (non pseudo) scientific evidence evidence that people who believe in a flat earth use to back up their claim. As someone who is studying for a degree in physics I think I have pretty irrefutable evidence that the earth is spherical, so I'd love to hear some counter arguments. Thanks!
Fact pharken fact. Do you have any of that. You know Irrefutable fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I'm not here to start any argument .But!!!! Here some basic reasoning .your a phucken cock head, the earth is flat & dont spin.Is that basic enough reasoning for you or do you require the scientific evidence. Well just look in the phucken mirror.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:08:24 AM by charles bloomington »
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:12:57 AM »
Well, I tried. If that's the level of intelligence on this website I'll just leave.

?

guv

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 06:16:54 AM »
Fact pharken fact. Do you have any of that. You know Irrefutable fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I'm not here to start any argument .But!!!! Here some basic reasoning .your a phucken cock head, the earth is flat & dont spin.Is that basic enough reasoning for you or do you require the scientific evidence. Well just look in the phucken mirror.

Can't you afford a mirror Charlie, spent all the money on long necks.

Testify

• In the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 06:34:05 AM »
There is more to the world than science. God's word may be trusted more than any of that and any other lies spread by demons, and God tells us that the world is flat.
Isaiah 40:22: "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in"

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 06:44:31 AM »

All of their arguments are pseudoscience or lack of science understanding. The only non-pseudo would be "it looks flat up close".
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 06:56:49 AM »

All of their arguments are pseudoscience or lack of science understanding. The only non-pseudo would be "it looks flat up close".
Thanks for being the first person to talk to me on this website that makes any sense.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »
Hi, firstly I'd just like to say I'm not here to start any arguments, but I'd just like to know the basic reasoning or (non pseudo) scientific evidence evidence that people who believe in a flat earth use to back up their claim.
There isn't anything much really.  The basis for there claim is: "look out your window".

The FES was originally meant as some kind of counter-factual debating club where your preconceived notions could be challenged.

Flat earth "theory" is mainly inane conspiracy bollocks and crap like "bendy light".

It now mainly populated by the mentally ill, trolls and drunks.  Those categories are not mutually exclusive.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »
It boils down to observation and common sense. Look at how much mainstream science has gotten wrong in the past. Almost everything being taught is a theory built upon another theory.

If all of science is nothing more than an amalgam of popular guesses,  where is the harm in doubting the established RE theory of our world?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »
It boils down to observation and common sense. Look at how much mainstream science has gotten wrong in the past. Almost everything being taught is a theory built upon another theory.

If all of science is nothing more than an amalgam of popular guesses,  where is the harm in doubting the established RE theory of our world?

When used scoentifically, the word "theory" is used to discribe something that's been well tested and peer reviewed to the extent that it's widely accepted.  It is the second highest title an idea can have second only to law.  Living things being made out of cells is called cell theory, and if you have ever used a microscope you would know that that theory is certainly not just a guess.

Science has gotten quite a lot wrong in the past, but guess how we figured out that it's wrong.  Answer: science was able to catch the mistake and correct it.

We know that our knowlage of science is acurite because incorrect science cannot be applied to make technology.  Computers contain billions of transistors which work by exploiting the chemical properties of impure crystallized silicon and the quantum mechanical properties of electrons.  Electromagnets (which make electric generators and motors possible) work because of special relativity acting on electrons.  Modeen medicine which has increased life expectancy uses scientific knowlage about biochemistry.  Airplanes cannot be designed without scientific knowlage of aerodynamics.  Nuclear power plants and atomic bombs cannot be created without scientific knowlage of subatomic particles.  Telecommunications are not possible without knowlage about the quantum mechanical behavior of light at various frequencies.  The list just goes on and on.  Science is real, deal with it.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 02:10:35 PM »
Well, I tried. If that's the level of intelligence on this website I'll just leave.
Look in a mirror . Thats one of the instruments that will  prove the earth is not spherical. The second is the hydraulics of water.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 02:16:31 PM »
Look in a mirror . Thats one of the instruments that will  prove the earth is not spherical. The second is the hydraulics of water.

Please explain about the mirror, I'm not sure I understand. Also the hydraulics bit, you can't just say something is proof and then not explain why it is.

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »
So far all the 'proof' I've seen on this website just states that our understanding of even basic science such as Newton's laws of motion are wrong. And then there's the god person who seems to take everything in the bible word for word and cites it as proof.

Testify

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 02:37:06 PM »
So far all the 'proof' I've seen on this website just states that our understanding of even basic science such as Newton's laws of motion are wrong. And then there's the god person who seems to take everything in the bible word for word and cites it as proof.

God does not lie, His word is proof.
Isaiah 40:22: "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in"

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 01:55:00 AM »

God doesn't exist.

sircool

• flat, round, whatever throats your goat
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 02:59:41 AM »

Does it make you angry that god lied to you? Or just sad?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:41:47 AM by sircool »
If it's flat, that would be very interesting for science

?

tappet

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 03:30:18 AM »

When used scoentifically, the word "theory" is used to discribe something that's been well tested and peer reviewed to the extent that it's widely accepted.  It is the second highest title an idea can have second only to law.  Living things being made out of cells is called cell theory, and if you have ever used a microscope you would know that that theory is certainly not just a guess.

Science has gotten quite a lot wrong in the past, but guess how we figured out that it's wrong.  Answer: science was able to catch the mistake and correct it.

We know that our knowlage of science is acurite because incorrect science cannot be applied to make technology.  Computers contain billions of transistors which work by exploiting the chemical properties of impure crystallized silicon and the quantum mechanical properties of electrons.  Electromagnets (which make electric generators and motors possible) work because of special relativity acting on electrons.  Modeen medicine which has increased life expectancy uses scientific knowlage about biochemistry.  Airplanes cannot be designed without scientific knowlage of aerodynamics.  Nuclear power plants and atomic bombs cannot be created without scientific knowlage of subatomic particles.  Telecommunications are not possible without knowlage about the quantum mechanical behavior of light at various frequencies.  The list just goes on and on.  Science is real, deal with it.
Another riveting rant from you about your god called science. Science also says eat unsaturated fat its good for your heart, yet science says unsaturated fat will kill you. Figure that one out dummy.

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 04:11:40 AM »

Please explain about the mirror, I'm not sure I understand. Also the hydraulics bit, you can't just say something is proof and then not explain why it is.
Square 90o off a plumb bob. Marking two parallel lines  Or you can use a water hose leveling method to mark your  parallel lines .now set up a series of  mirrors to reflect those lines  at right angles back to the starting point.  The conclusion seen from the result is self explanatory. Theres no curviture.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:18:04 AM by charles bloomington »

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 04:46:59 AM »

What you said pretty much sums it up. But hey, everybody needs a hobby!
I'm no rocket scientist, but at least I know the Earth is round, Man went to the Moon, and air exists.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” Carl Sagan

Testify

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 04:50:00 AM »

God doesn't exist.

False. Pray to Him with an open mind and an open heart, and you will feel Him.

Testify

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 04:51:35 AM »

Does it make you angry that god lied to you? Or just sad?

God does not lie. If God's word angers you so, you may want to think about that is. Many people harden their hearts so that the mere mention of God, a Being greater than them, angers them far more than it should if we spoke of one that does not exist.
You know He is real, even if you do not wish to admit it.

Toby

• Seriously?
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 04:22:59 PM »
Holy shit.
I cannot believe what I've just read. There are a million things whizzing through my mind right now, mainly how stupidly ridiculous this whole theory is,  and I honestly don't have the time to write it all out in an argument. I just can't believe that there are actual existing people that believe that the Earth is flat.. I think I need to lie down..

Can I just confirm that this website isn't some kind of joke? Because I'd feel really stupid if it was, because this is insane.
Can we just dump all these flat earthers in the middle of Antarctica and have them find that there is no edge of the earth, and also leave them there to die while we're at it?

Testify

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 04:26:26 PM »
Holy shit.
I cannot believe what I've just read. There are a million things whizzing through my mind right now, mainly how stupidly ridiculous this whole theory is,  and I honestly don't have the time to write it all out in an argument. I just can't believe that there are actual existing people that believe that the Earth is flat.. I think I need to lie down..

Can I just confirm that this website isn't some kind of joke? Because I'd feel really stupid if it was, because this is insane.

It would be far more ridiculous to call God a liar, or assume He who made all of this does not understand His design.

Toby

• Seriously?
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 04:49:09 PM »
Holy shit.

It would be far more ridiculous to call God a liar, or assume He who made all of this does not understand His design.
Man, you need a huge reality check, although a reality check for you would be extremely expensive considering it would involve taking you into space.. and on a trip around the world to make you realize how full of bullshit you are. I've read a lot of your posts and I honestly cannot believe that you're legitimate and that you're not just an internet troll.
God does not exist. I understand and respect that millions of people around the world do believe in the existence of God but I will never be able to grasp the idea that some people still think that the Earth is flat.

There is no logical proof or even explanation. It is just extremely childish and ridiculous. There is no reason to believe in the Earth being flat.

Are you just trying to be rebellious against society? Make up your own illogical laws of logic? It's like being an extreme hipster, in a way.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:51:54 PM by Toby »
Can we just dump all these flat earthers in the middle of Antarctica and have them find that there is no edge of the earth, and also leave them there to die while we're at it?

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 05:53:52 PM »
Holy shit.

Man, you need a huge reality check, although a reality check for you would be extremely expensive considering it would involve taking you into space.. and on a trip around the world to make you realize how full of bullshit you are. I've read a lot of your posts and I honestly cannot believe that you're legitimate and that you're not just an internet troll.
God does not exist. I understand and respect that millions of people around the world do believe in the existence of God but I will never be able to grasp the idea that some people still think that the Earth is flat.

There is no logical proof or even explanation. It is just extremely childish and ridiculous. There is no reason to believe in the Earth being flat.

Are you just trying to be rebellious against society? Make up your own illogical laws of logic? It's like being an extreme hipster, in a way.
I find it ridiculous & extremely childish  that you can believe the earth to be spherical & rotating. I've never been asked to factor in a curviture to the footings of any fixture I have built, in my life time . I dont know how you would accomplish that. What would be your highest or lowest point to start at & at what portions of the attempted leveling , would you calculate this curviture you say exsists .
As for gold, oil, diamonds & a goods  law book on the principles of  honest goods trading that offers redemption.  Well I'd take that over my sole being traded in to debt slavery with no redemption . Any day of the week. Like seriously , who wants to be the living dead, a phucken fictional legal zombie in this world .
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:02:52 PM by charles bloomington »

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 06:06:38 PM »
Holy shit.

If you have been a visitor to this website  for any length of time you will come to the conclusion that. -Quote-: " This website is either a  big (deleted by censor) or a big (deleted by censor)."- Unquote. Check it out on the Internet.

I can't cite that quotation for fear of getting a warning or getting banned. Any mention of (deleted by censor) earth facts are only permitted in the "Debate Section."

That "god person" is giving good persons a bad name by all his self-righteous ranting and raving. He is the one who should be banned.....permanently. He is giving this website a bad name. Just IMHO, that is. I could be wrong, but I admit when I am wrong unlike some people on this website. 
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 06:23:44 PM »

tmancheschester A word of advice.: Stick to your books, pay attention to your professors, especially the lab parts of your study, and get your degree in physics. From personal experience as an electronics technician in the Navy and in the FAA, you're going to need all that science if you want to get along in the real world. Seriously.

As far as "mainline science" is concerned, we wouldn't even have this website or personal computers or the Internet if it wasn't for "mainline science."

Don't worry about it. There are few billion other persons on this (deleted by censor) shaped earth who would like to know the basic reasoning why anyone would believe in an earth shaped like a flat disc, with an "ice ring" around the edge of it and an "ice dome" above it. ???

Don't mind or pay any attention to me. (As the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain said.) I am just one of those satanic, satan worshiping , demons and demon possessed paid shills like those in NASA and other related areas such as the FAA. The Flat Earth Society is of course the source of all truth and knowledge....According to The Flat Earth Society of course.

BTW FWIW. Read my signature line. That explains why you will find a lot of us
 "(Deleted by Censor) Earthers" (Those of us who are not "Flat Earthers", that is) on this website. LOL.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:29:39 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 06:26:26 PM »
Holy shit.

If you have been a visitor to this website  for any length of time you will come to the conclusion that. -Quote-: " This website is either a  big (deleted by censor) or a big (deleted by censor)."- Unquote. Check it out on the Internet.

I can't cite that quotation for fear of getting a warning or getting banned. Any mention of (deleted by censor) earth facts are only permitted in the "Debate Section."

That "god person" is giving good persons a bad name by all his self-righteous ranting and raving. He is the one who should be banned.....permanently. He is giving this website a bad name. Just IMHO, that is. I could be wrong, but I admit when I am wrong unlike some people on this website.
Send me a personal message of that deleted by censor & I will post it . If they ban me over it or beat up on me for it , then i will just have to wear it & concluded  shit happens when you party naked.

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 06:29:39 PM »
I find it ridiculous & extremely childish  that you can believe the earth to be spherical & rotating. I've never been asked to factor in a curviture to the footings of any fixture I have built, in my life time .

How big were the footings you have built in area and/or linear dimension? Unless they're really big and, even then, really critical, earth curvature doesn't even approach other measurement error, so it isn't significant and need not be considered.

I dont know how you would accomplish that. What would be your highest or lowest point to start at & at what portions of the attempted leveling , would you calculate this curviture you say exsists .

The projects where it does matter will be done by people who do know how to accomplish that. So your not being involved in them makes a lot of sense.

As for gold, oil, diamonds & a goods  law book on the principles of  honest goods trading that offers redemption.  Well I'd take that over my sole being traded in to debt slavery with no redemption . Any day of the week. Like seriously , who wants to be the living dead, a phucken fictional legal zombie in this world .

What does any of that rant have to do with the shape of the Earth?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 06:34:21 PM »
Holy shit.

Send me a personal message of that deleted by censor & I will post it . If they ban me over it or beat up on me for it , then i will just have to wear it & concluded  shit happens when you party naked.

No PM is necessary. Just go on the Internet and search on "Flat Earth" and you should get it.

P.S- I have sent you a PM with the "censored words." LOL
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:18:05 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus: