Long Range Snipers & the Coriolis Effect.

• 135 Replies

JackBlack

Re: Long Range Snipers & the Coriolis Effect.
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2017, 01:28:16 PM »
The article: "The firing vector was close enough to a north-south axis, bringing the Coriolis Effect into play."

It has been proven with scientific observations, the Coriolis effect does not exist. Water flows in both directions north and south of the equator. It all depends on which side of the sink you pour the water, and how you face the water outlets in a toilet. I have done the experiment in my own kitchen sink! Your article is just propaganda BS to save the dying spherical earth claims. I have taken shooting lessons from several Marine sniper friends, and they NEVER have mentioned the Coriolis effect when setting up for a kill. Believe me, the Marines are not going to leave out a critical step in training their snipers! And how is it, your article states the shooters had no issue one week, then come back the following week all bothered by the Coriolis effect? Where was the Coriolis effect the week before?
No. The exact opposite has been proven. Science has shown that the Coriolis effect does exist.

Water in a sink is far too small of a system to have any noticeable effect from the Coriolis effect.

Try it in a sink that is a 100 km wide.

The spherical Earth is a reality which wont be going away any time soon.

Maybe your marine friends didn't think you would understand, or they new you were a delusional nutcase and thus thought it would be better to not provoke you, or maybe they weren't training you to be a sniper, or maybe you are just full of shit and it never happened?

I'm pretty sure that was explained.
The Coriolis effect produces a different result in the different cardinal directions.
E-W it is basically nothing.

Seriously, you quoted the answer to your question.

?

frenat

« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2017, 01:29:07 PM »
It has been proven with scientific observations, the Coriolis effect does not exist. Water flows in both directions north and south of the equator. It all depends on which side of the sink you pour the water, and how you face the water outlets in a toilet. I have done the experiment in my own kitchen sink!
This nonsense again?  We all know the sink/toilet/bathtub "swirling water" demo of Coriolis Effect is bunk!  You've proven NOTHING.  These guys, on the other hand, set up a more controlled experiment, you should check it out.

When I can, I go a step further and test the idea myself. I live in the northeast, and I got the water in my kitchen sink to flow both ways. The Coriolis effect is a crock of feces!
Thank you for proving you have't bothered to read the replies.  The coriolis effect is not large enough to be seen in a sink.  You've disproved NOTHING.

Hurricane over New Zealand: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/imageo/files/2014/03/Screenshot_3_5_14_10_28_AM.jpg

Hurricane over Fuji Islands: https://phys.org/newman/gfx/news/hires/2012/nasaseesdang.jpg

One area is south of the equator, the other north of the equator, but both spin in same direction. Tell me, a storm that started south of the equator and moves north of the equator, does it suddenly change spin direction?
WRONG.  Those are the Fiji islands (there are no Fuji islands from what I can tell) and they are ALSO south of the equator.  So BOTH locations you've listed are SOUTH of the equator.

JackBlack

« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
When I can, I go a step further and test the idea myself. I live in the northeast, and I got the water in my kitchen sink to flow both ways. The Coriolis effect is a crock of feces!

Hurricane over New Zealand: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/imageo/files/2014/03/Screenshot_3_5_14_10_28_AM.jpg

Hurricane over Fuji Islands: https://phys.org/newman/gfx/news/hires/2012/nasaseesdang.jpg

One area is south of the equator, the other north of the equator, but both spin in same direction. Tell me, a storm that started south of the equator and moves north of the equator, does it suddenly change spin direction?
Go get a kiddy pool and set it up.

And do you mean Fiji? In the sothern hemisphere, and NZ, in the southern hemisphere.

I'm sorry, which one is north of the equator, because in reality they are both to the south.

When a storm crosses the equator, they begin to die. It doesn't just change direction.

« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2017, 04:30:47 PM »
It has been proven with scientific observations, the Coriolis effect does not exist. Water flows in both directions north and south of the equator. It all depends on which side of the sink you pour the water, and how you face the water outlets in a toilet. I have done the experiment in my own kitchen sink!
This nonsense again?  We all know the sink/toilet/bathtub "swirling water" demo of Coriolis Effect is bunk!  You've proven NOTHING.  These guys, on the other hand, set up a more controlled experiment, you should check it out.

Thank you for proving you have't bothered to read the replies.  The coriolis effect is not large enough to be seen in a sink.  You've disproved NOTHING.

WRONG.  Those are the Fiji islands (there are no Fuji islands from what I can tell) and they are ALSO south of the equator.  So BOTH locations you've listed are SOUTH of the equator.

I'm very sorry, did I say Fiji, I meant storm Nangka bearing down on Japan:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Nangka_2015-07-16_0130Z.png/220px-Nangka_2015-07-16_0130Z.png

Spins in the same direction as the storm hitting New Zealand, south of the equator:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=h2nedSvw&id=6AA902041CC8345BC19F7172903732C4FE2A0185&q=hurricane+hitting+new+zealand&simid=607988257458356759&selectedIndex=10&qpvt=hurricane+hitting+new+zealand&ajaxhist=0

?

frenat

« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Nangka_2015-07-16_0130Z.png/220px-Nangka_2015-07-16_0130Z.png

Spins in the same direction as the storm hitting New Zealand, south of the equator:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=h2nedSvw&id=6AA902041CC8345BC19F7172903732C4FE2A0185&q=hurricane+hitting+new+zealand&simid=607988257458356759&selectedIndex=10&qpvt=hurricane+hitting+new+zealand&ajaxhist=0
Except that is NOT a storm hitting New Zealand.  Doing a google search for the image itself shows it is Typhoon Phanfone bearing down on Japan from 2014. 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Phanfone_2014-10-03_0155Z_full.jpg
In Chrome you can right click on the image and select "search google for image".  The link I posted is the same hurricane and the island at the top is the southern Japanese island.
Bing got it wrong and you didn't check your source.
Just because it shows up in a search for hurricane+hitting+new+zealand doesn't mean it matched all those words.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:41:45 PM by frenat »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2017, 06:41:07 PM »
Get your facts right! No hurricane has ever hit New Zealand!
Try searching for "Tropical Cyclones New Zealand" - not "Hurricanes" or "Typhoons"!
There are plenty of matches for "Hurricanes New Zealand", but don't get your hopes up - they look a bit tough!

Hurricane New Zealand
I did find this match for "Typhoon New Zealand" and got this explanatory note:
Hurricane? Cyclone? Typhoon? Here's the difference
HURRICANE? CYCLONE? TYPHOON? They're all the same, officially tropical cyclones. But they just use distinctive terms for a storm in different parts of the world. Hurricane is used in the Atlantic, Caribbean Sea, central and northeast Pacific. They are typhoons in the northwest Pacific. In the Bay of Bengal and the Arabia Sea, they are called cyclones. Tropical cyclone is used in the southwest India Ocean; in the southwestern Pacific and southeastern India Ocean they are severe tropical cyclones.

STRENGTH: A storm gets a name and is considered a tropical storm at 63 kph. It becomes a hurricane, typhoon, tropical cyclone, or cyclone at 119 kph. There are five strength categories, depending on wind speed. The highest category is 5 and that's above 249 kph. Australia has a different system for categorising storm strength.

ROTATION: If they are north of the equator they rotate counter-clockwise. If they are south, they rotate clockwise.

SEASON: The Atlantic and central Pacific hurricane seasons are June 1 through Nov. 30. Eastern Pacific: May 15 to Nov. 30; northwestern Pacific season is close to all year, with the most from May to November. The cyclone season in the south Pacific and Australia runs from November to April. The Bay of Bengal has two seasons April to June and September to November.

From: NZ Herald, Hurricane? Cyclone? Typhoon? Here's the difference

Please learn a bit about the earth before coming out with more of these ideas.

« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2017, 04:28:13 AM »
Try searching for "Tropical Cyclones New Zealand" - not "Hurricanes" or "Typhoons"!
There are plenty of matches for "Hurricanes New Zealand", but don't get your hopes up - they look a bit tough!

Hurricane New Zealand
HURRICANE? CYCLONE? TYPHOON? They're all the same, officially tropical cyclones. But they just use distinctive terms for a storm in different parts of the world. Hurricane is used in the Atlantic, Caribbean Sea, central and northeast Pacific. They are typhoons in the northwest Pacific. In the Bay of Bengal and the Arabia Sea, they are called cyclones. Tropical cyclone is used in the southwest India Ocean; in the southwestern Pacific and southeastern India Ocean they are severe tropical cyclones.

STRENGTH: A storm gets a name and is considered a tropical storm at 63 kph. It becomes a hurricane, typhoon, tropical cyclone, or cyclone at 119 kph. There are five strength categories, depending on wind speed. The highest category is 5 and that's above 249 kph. Australia has a different system for categorising storm strength.

ROTATION: If they are north of the equator they rotate counter-clockwise. If they are south, they rotate clockwise.

SEASON: The Atlantic and central Pacific hurricane seasons are June 1 through Nov. 30. Eastern Pacific: May 15 to Nov. 30; northwestern Pacific season is close to all year, with the most from May to November. The cyclone season in the south Pacific and Australia runs from November to April. The Bay of Bengal has two seasons April to June and September to November.

Typhoon/hurricane, they're both the same, just a different name. I'm sure you saw Christ Church highlighted, right? NZ is below the equator, Japan is above the equator, and both storms were turning in the same direction! Did you just conveniently ignore that point? Yeah, all you could do was pick on the name I used, hurricane.

?

frenat

« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2017, 04:55:00 AM »

Hurricane New Zealand

Typhoon/hurricane, they're both the same, just a different name. I'm sure you saw Christ Church highlighted, right? NZ is below the equator, Japan is above the equator, and both storms were turning in the same direction! Did you just conveniently ignore that point? Yeah, all you could do was pick on the name I used, hurricane.
Except the one with ChristChurch highlighted is this link
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/imageo/files/2014/03/Screenshot_3_5_14_10_28_AM.jpg
and is NOT one of the two being compared by you earlier in these quotes.

What is being discussed at this point is this post of yours
in which the one you CLAIM is hitting New Zealand is in fact a typhoon hitting Japan.  See my previous post.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2017, 05:44:12 AM »

Typhoon/hurricane, they're both the same, just a different name. I'm sure you saw Christchurch highlighted, right? NZ is below the equator, Japan is above the equator, and both storms were turning in the same direction! Did you just conveniently ignore that point? Yeah, all you could do was pick on the name I used, hurricane.
No, not at all! I was quite aware that your photo was of "Typhoon Phanfone" and not "New Zealand Biggest Storm".

You should have twigged when I said "Get your facts right! No hurricane has ever hit New Zealand!"

I do believe that if you really check up on that picture (say do a Google search) that it is not a photo of any Typhoon hitting New Zealand.
Just right click the image and select "Search Googlr for image", and you get "Best guess for this image: typhon phanfone"!

Your photo
Mis-labelled as "New Zealand Biggest Storm"

Typhoon Phanfone (2014) - Wikipedia
Typhoon Phanfone at peak strength . . . . . . . . on October 3

The photo of Typhoon Phanfone  is cropped from Phanfone_2014-10-03_0155Z_full.jpg to match the size of your image. Typhoon Phanfone areas affected were Mariana Islands, Japan, Alaska.

Do they look identical? Clearly your image was of Typhone Phanfone on 2014-10-03 and was no typhoon hitting New Zealand!

I have no idea who CDNS Your News Wire are but they are 100% wrong with that image!

It's about time that you learnt that the internet contains almost the sum-total of human knowledge and the sum-total of mis-information!

Better luck next time Mr Physical Observer! But, just remember, the rotating Globe works, the Flat Earth does not work.

JackBlack

« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »
No. You said Fuji, which was more confusing as that doesn't actually exist. But yes, both your prior images were south of the equator.

Really?
Don't you remember this picture of the one from NZ?

That spins in the opposite direction to the one over Japan.

And what makes you say that is in NZ?
Just because that is what you searched for?
Guess what, it doesn't work like that.
It will also match things like hurricane, and show you a picture of a hurricane anywhere.

This (along with your one from Japan) have nothing indicating their position.

However according to this:
http://www.ouest-france.fr/monde/japon/japon-le-typhon-phanfone-se-rapproche-de-lile-principale-honshu-2878790
It is in Japan as well.

Funny that, a storm in Japan, matched a storm in Japan.

Highlighted where?
It wasn't highlighted in the image matching Japan anywhere.

There is absolutely no indication that the storm was in NZ or anywhere near it.

Instead, the one with an indication it was in NZ was the one which matched Fiji, with both in the southern hemisphere.

So no, no contradiction.

Instead of refuting the Coriolis effect, you have provided evidence supporting it.
You have 2 storms in the southern hemisphere spinning one way, and 2 in the northern hemisphere spinning the other way, exactly as you would expect on a spinning Earth.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2017, 11:13:18 PM »

This is getting tiresome! You pile errors on top of errors.

Your first image is indeed of a storm over New Zealand - "Christchurch is on the image"!

Storm brings 100-year flood to Christchurch, New Zealand.
It was not given a name because it was not officially regarded as a cyclone.

But you second image is not a "Hurricane over Fuji Islands". In fact from what I can find, there are no "Fuji Islands"!
I believe that image is of "Cyclone Evan" over the Fiji Islands - a very different matter! Look here:

Cyclone over Fiji Islands

Fiji Islands - Google Earth
Note the outline of the Fifi Islands on the Cyclone Image

Now, maybe you will finally believe this: The Coriolis effect is the reason for the four distinct situations that are observed for High Pressure Weather systems and Low Pressure Weather systems, including Hurricanes, Typhoons and Cyclones, in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

Northern Hemisphere

Southern Hemisphere
Highs

Clockwise

Anti-clockwise
Lows

Anti-clockwise

Clockwise
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:53:56 PM by rabinoz »

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2017, 02:52:56 AM »
So are Flat Earthers saying that military snipers and gun manufactures are in on the "conspiracy" too?
NO.

They might be taught to compensate for rotation ( although i don't think the marine sniper handbook says anything about this )..but whether they believe it works or not is irrelevant. IF the world were rotating, the WIND alone would still have a bigger impact on the bullet placement than the rotation of the earth, so in the end, you would never know if its the rotation, or the wind that is the cause of displacement, and the rotations effect would be so small that it would be of little or no concern. WIND is the biggest factor, plus it affects the bullet grouping differently every hundred feet or so..AND, you can never tell which direction wind is blowing between you and the target because wind direction is unpredictable at these small scales..it can always affect the placement differently.
a bullet travels too fast to be affected by rotation. The lie might have something to do with trying to keep newtons law of rotation upheld..plus, globers say the atmosphere just CARRIES everything with it as the earth moves, ie : if a heli was hovering, for 24 hours in the same spot, why is it still above the same patch of ground if the earth is spinning? they will tell you the answer is the atmosphere is carrying the heli with it...so..atmosphere would just CARRY the bullet along with it. Besides, there are WORLD champion snipers who will tell you they have never had to account for rotation.. once you hear 40-50 year vet  snipers say its bullshit..WHO cares what some green sniper thinks..

air "plane" pilots, ..bridge builders...navy boys...etc. ... the people in these professions are NOT in on the conspiracy at ALL...THEY,  are just as clueless as the average citizen is and simply believe what they are told when learning their trade..they account for everything they would need to account for, on a FLAT plane! 
many vets will tell you after years in these professions, they never once have to actually account for curvature.

go look at plane routes..because those will be fixed soon..somehow... they are working hard to combat the truth coming out..they will do whatever it takes to satisfy their sheep and keep them calm ..penned up..... I have been telling people this for 5 years and now it spread like wildfire on youtube and the net. in the next year, two years, etc..there will be a lot of pics of earth from space ( LOL ) from US, china, russia, etc...they will have to step their game up..I respect the liars A LOT for being able to trick billions of  people into believing nonsense. you think you're just going to come along and unravel decades of layered lies after a few hours on the net? ..you go to work ..go home.. that wont get you the truth...they have people working on this agenda around the clock.  good luck

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »
So are Flat Earthers saying that military snipers and gun manufactures are in on the "conspiracy" too?
NO.

They might be taught to compensate for rotation ( although i don't think the marine sniper handbook says anything about this )..but whether they believe it works or not is irrelevant. IF the world were rotating, the WIND alone would still have a bigger impact on the bullet placement than the rotation of the earth, so in the end, you would never know if its the rotation, or the wind that is the cause of displacement, and the rotations effect would be so small that it would be of little or no concern. WIND is the biggest factor, plus it affects the bullet grouping differently every hundred feet or so..AND, you can never tell which direction wind is blowing between you and the target because wind direction is unpredictable at these small scales..it can always affect the placement differently.
a bullet travels too fast to be affected by rotation. The lie might have something to do with trying to keep newtons law of rotation upheld..plus, globers say the atmosphere just CARRIES everything with it as the earth moves, ie : if a heli was hovering, for 24 hours in the same spot, why is it still above the same patch of ground if the earth is spinning? they will tell you the answer is the atmosphere is carrying the heli with it...so..atmosphere would just CARRY the bullet along with it. Besides, there are WORLD champion snipers who will tell you they have never had to account for rotation.. once you hear 40-50 year vet  snipers say its bullshit..WHO cares what some green sniper thinks..

air "plane" pilots, ..bridge builders...navy boys...etc. ... the people in these professions are NOT in on the conspiracy at ALL...THEY,  are just as clueless as the average citizen is and simply believe what they are told when learning their trade..they account for everything they would need to account for, on a FLAT plane! 
many vets will tell you after years in these professions, they never once have to actually account for curvature.

go look at plane routes..because those will be fixed soon..somehow... they are working hard to combat the truth coming out..they will do whatever it takes to satisfy their sheep and keep them calm ..penned up..... I have been telling people this for 5 years and now it spread like wildfire on youtube and the net. in the next year, two years, etc..there will be a lot of pics of earth from space ( LOL ) from US, china, russia, etc...they will have to step their game up..I respect the liars A LOT for being able to trick billions of  people into believing nonsense. you think you're just going to come along and unravel decades of layered lies after a few hours on the net? ..you go to work ..go home.. that wont get you the truth...they have people working on this agenda around the clock.  good luck

If the Coriolis effect didn't need to be corrected for, it should be easy to see that using a statistical analysis of a number of shots and their errors, even if the effect of wind is greater than the Coriolis effect on any individual shot.

For that matter, since wind is more or less along a line and the Coriolis effect causes clockwise or counterclockwise deflection in all directions, firing in different directions and comparing the errors should reveal the Coriolis effect.

JackBlack

« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2017, 02:32:19 PM »
a bullet travels too fast to be affected by rotation. The lie might have something to do with trying to keep newtons law of rotation upheld..plus, globers say the atmosphere just CARRIES everything with it as the earth moves
No. They don't.
It depends entirely upon what the thing is.

A bullet is designed to be aerodynamic and not be effected by the wind.
A helicopter relies upon the air to be able to fly, as such, it will be far more effected.

if a heli was hovering, for 24 hours in the same spot, why is it still above the same patch of ground if the earth is spinning?
Because they were maintaining their position over that spot. The majority of it is actually their own inertia and gravity and their lift maintaining their path.

Besides, there are WORLD champion snipers who will tell you they have never had to account for rotation
[/quote]
So ones that just shoot for compositions, typically being fairly short range?

they account for everything they would need to account for, on a FLAT plane!
Then why do so many follow completely different paths, paths which make no sense on a flat Earth?
Such as leaving south east, travelling straight, without turning, and arriving from the south west?

go look at plane routes
I have. Several make absolutley no sense on a flat Earth, but make perfect sense on a globe.

they are working hard to combat the truth coming out
Yes, FEers seem to love doing that. Why?

I respect the liars A LOT for being able to trick billions of  people into believing nonsense.
Except you haven't.
You have just been able to trick a few gullible idiots. The only question is are you one of the gullible idiots or are you one of the people that know you are spouting bullshit.

CallsignTKTX

• Facts over opinions
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »
If you want a proper, easily understandable explanation of the Coriolis Effect, read this.

I stumbled upon this thread while doing some research on the Coriolis Effect and felt that, from the replies that I have read, none of you are properly explaining it. I will attempt to do that now in a simple and easy to understand way.

What is the Coriolis Effect?
The Coriolis Effect (Coriolis Force as is its true name) is an inertial (or non-accelerating) force which acts upon an object that is in motion relative to a rotating reference frame. The outcome of the Coriolis Force on said object is what is know as the Coriolis Effect.

How is the Coriolis Force/Effect represented, what does it do and why is it important to know?
Well, popular (non-technical) usage of the term "Coriolis Effect" almost always implies that the Earth is the rotating frame of reference. If we assume the Earth is a sphere that spins on an axis, we must then account for the Coriolis Force to correctly determine the motion of an object and where that object will end up after its motion ends (You will understand why I said "If" in the beginning of this sentence if you read through my entire reply). For now, we will be assuming that the Earth is a sphere that rotates on an axis. The Earth completes one rotation per day, so the effect of the Coriolis Force on the motion of an object is usually going to be very small and unnoticeable; it will usually only become noticeable when an object travels a long distance and for a long period of time compared to that object's AVERAGE travel time.

Here is our first example:
Pre-experiment explanation
You are in space looking down towards Earth. There is an object at the equator large enough for you to see. For this experiment, the only three forces that will be acting on this object are the Coriolis Force, a modified form of gravity, and a force that will cause the start of the object's movement (that way you can have a visual understanding of what the Coriolis Force looks like when it is acting upon an object). The only difference between true gravity and our modified form of gravity is, our modified form of gravity will keep the object at the same elevation above sea level from the Earth's surface throughout the entire experiment so that the object can move from the equator to the desired pole without coming into contact with the Earth's surface. Also, the force that causes the object's initial movement will not continue to act upon the object once that object begins moving; the force will only cause the object to begin movement. The speed at which the object moves will stay the same throughout the entire experiment, that way the motion of the object after motion starts is only caused by the effects of the Coriolis Force.

Experiment
Now we will begin the experiment. The object at the equator is acted on by an outside force that causes it to begin movement towards the Northern pole. The object leaves behind a red line that shows the path that it is taking. To the person that caused the object's movement, the object appears to be moving due North. As YOU view the object from SPACE, the object does not appear to be moving due North; the object appears to be moving in a NorthEASTERN direction (to the right and upwards). As you go Northward, the horizontal diameter of the Earth gets smaller at a consistent rate and as the horizontal diameter of the Earth gets smaller, the motion of the Earth's surface gets slower at an equally consistent rate. So, as our object moves North, (where the horizontal diameter of the Earth gets smaller at a consistent rate and the speed of the motion of the Earth's surface gets slower at a consistent rate) the object maintains its eastward speed instead of slowing down to match the reduced speed of the Earth's surface; this causes the rate of the object's movement eastward to appear to be growing. The growth of the object's movement East is NOT consistent however, because unlike the consistent rate at which the horizontal diameter of Earth gets smaller and the consistent rate at which the speed of the Earth's surface movement gets slower relative to the consistent rate of change of the diameter of the Earth as you move further North, the further North you go, the smaller the diameter of the Earth and the slower the speed that the Earth's surface is moving; that causes the rate at which the object moves East to appear to be getting greater at an increasingly faster rate (which means that the object appears to be moving further to the right at an increasingly faster pace).

Experiment Summary
So, to sum up that experiment, our object started moving from the equator to the North pole. As we viewed the object from space, we saw it draw a red line that started out going slightly Northeast. As the object continued to move North, the red line that was drawn by the object curved. The rate at which the object and the red line curved horizontally to the East kept growing increasingly faster, until it reached the North pole.

Now that you know what effect the Coriolis Force has on the motion of an object, I will give you a second example; one that explains how the Coriolis Force affects the movement of objects alongside all other forces. This example is going to fit in with the topic of this thread, which is sniping.

Pre-example Explanation
When a soldier goes to Sniper School, he is taught how hide, how to track an enemy, how to prevent enemies from tracking him, how to get to his target without being discovered, how to eliminate his target, how to survive and maintain himself indefinitely while on mission, and how to get out of the area without being discovered.
We will be talking about how they eliminate their target. A sniper is taught how to "Zero" his scope, how to properly hold his rifle so that he gets the best accuracy possible, how to accurately judge the distance between him and his target, how to make adjustments to his scope so that it is on target before he fires, how to adjust his scope if he misses so that he knows exactly what adjustments are needed to be made to make the second shot count, and how to judge what he needs to do and how to do it when he is lining up a shot. One of the things he is taught so that he can be more accuracy at longer ranges is the "Coriolis Effect".

Example
Now, here is our situation. We are a 2 man sniper team in the US Army. We are out on a patrol and we hear gunfire over the hill to our front. We rush up to the top and set up our rifle and your spotting scope. We see a small group of Taliban fighters with a sandbag fortification and a machine gun firing down on a squad of US Army infantrymen. Our guys are pinned down and won't last much longer. Our problem is that we are too far away to communicate with the squad, we don't know which radio frequency they are on and they won't last long enough for us to figure it out, our guys don't have enough time for us to try to get into a better position, and the Taliban gun emplacement is over 1,000 meters away from us. The distance between us and the Taliban means we will have to take into account the Coriolis Effect. Now, the Coriolis Effect in military terms refers to so much more variables than just what I explained in Example 1. With the military version, we will have to take into account the distance (which at that range will extend to the point where the curvature of the Earth is a factor in the bullets trajectory), the curvature of the Earth, the weather, wind speed, wind direction, a possible wind direction change during mid-flight of the bullet due to how long it will take the bullet to reach its target (and the wind speed of that possible wind direction change), gravity, how gravity will affect the bullet drop as the bullet travels along the curvature of the Earth, temperature, climate, humidity, our altitude, the altitude of our target, air resistance, the angle at which we are shooting, the possible visual distortion due to the heat waves that radiate in the distance if it is hot, AND we will have to take the gun into account. Why do we need to take the gun into account? Well, the M24 (the standard sniper rifle for US Army snipers) has a maximum effective range of 800 meters, though record shots have been made with the M24 at over 1,000 meters. Also, the standard scope that the US Army uses on their M24s has a maximum elevation adjustment of 1,000 meters. So, after we make a quick observation and estimation of all the factors, we take them into account and set up the shots accordingly. There is no way of knowing exactly where our shots will hit because each shot will have slightly different factors at play so we can only guess. We will more than likely hit our targets but we will probably also miss a few shots in the process due to the slight randomness caused by the factors that are constantly changing ever so slightly.

Explanation Summary
We are going to have to take the Coriolis Effect into account when shooting out passed 1,000 meters because if we don't, we will miss every time and our bullets will never hit our target. Now, an opposing argument could be made that, if the Earth is flat, taking into account the Coriolis Effect will cause you to miss every shot and be way off target because you are taking into account a factor which isn't even present. If that were true then the end result would cause your shots to miss, but that isn't the case. If you talk to any sniper, preferably military because civilian shooters don't have to worry about the Coriolis Effect nearly as much as military snipers (actually, the only time you'd ever have to worry about the Coriolis Effect as a civilian shooter is if you wanted to, because the civilian shooter has control over the range at which he shoots), they will tell you that the Coriolis Effect is a real thing and must be accounted for when firing long range shots if you actually want to hit what you intend to hit.

Also, saying that a sniper who has to make adjustments, in order to fire accurately, isn't very good at sniping and shouldn't be doing it shows how much you know about shooting in general. All shooters make adjustments when shooting. Aiming your firearm is an adjustment. Also, your reasoning behind that statement is obviously based on sniping in video games. Believe it or not, sniping in video games is a piece of cake compared to sniping in real life. Just because you can get a head-shot at 2,000 meters on a target that is sprinting straight across your line of sight from left to right or right to left on Battlefield 4 without changing your scope's zero distance does not mean you are a good sniper. A real sniper would make adjustments so that it is easier to hit his target and so he is more likely to hit his target. Snipers don't leave the success of their shots solely to the chance that a "Hail Mary" (a shot where the shooter makes an educated guess as to where he needs to aim in order to hit the target and fires without making any other adjustments) will be effective. Yeah, maybe they could but they want to increase the chance that their shots will actually connect with their intended target as much as possible, and I'm sorry but, a Hail Mary is the way to go if you want to have the smallest chance possible of hitting your intended target.

Also, here's a word of advice.
Don't insult a man who can end your life from another zip code.
That means don't insult snipers.

"Be the subject matter expert of everything you do" - A Personal Friend, US Marine Corps

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2017, 02:39:16 PM »
If you want a proper, easily understandable explanation of the Coriolis Effect, read this.

I stumbled upon this thread while doing some research on the Coriolis Effect and felt that, from the replies that I have read, none of you are properly explaining it. I will attempt to do that now in a simple and easy to understand way.
. . . . .
Also, here's a word of advice.
Don't insult a man who can end your life from another zip code.
That means don't insult snipers.

Just a coincidence, but this appeared in the local paper (and most others) just yesterday:
Quote from: Neal Baker, The SunNews Corp Australia Network
SAS sniper kills ISIS terrorist 2.4km away using world’s most powerful rifle
AN SAS sniper killed an ISIS terrorist from almost 2.4km away using a mega-powerful rifle, a report says.
The Sun reports, it took three whole seconds for the bullet to reach the terror thug in Mosul, Iraq two weeks ago.

A veteran sniper hit the insurgent in the throat as he tried to escape a burnt-out building, killing him almost instantly, the Daily Star said.
It is believed to be one of the most difficult long-range kills in the elite regiment’s history.

The paper claimed the shot was fired from a CheyTac M200 — a record-breaking US-made rifle with a max range of up to nearly 3.2km.

Read more in middle east, SAS sniper kills ISIS terrorist 2.4km away using world’s most powerful rifle
[/size]