Wow, the Flat Earther denialism rabbit hole goes even deeper than I thought...

• 110 Replies
Oh wow, this is great - I thought (wrongly) that I had encountered the peak of Flat Earther denialism when I saw a video of Flat Earthers claiming that NASA pictures of the Earth from space make the Earth look like a globe *not* because NASA is faking the photos (as most Flatheads claim) - but because, get this, the Earth's gravity *bends light* to make the Earth look round!! WOW.

So even if you took one of these Flat Earther up in a rocket and showed them that the Earth was clearly a ball, they would STILL deny it.

BUT no, that is not as extreme as the denial of what you can clearly see with you own eyes gets...it gets even MORE delusional than that - I saw a video on Youtube claiming that *quantum mechanics* "proves the Earth is flat", because, get this, "beliefs change reality", and so if enough people believe in a round Earth, the Earth will *become round*...but, it's "really flat"! Uh, wow, talk about "The Day the Universe Changed"! Funny thing is, if that was even true (and it's not) then what *is* objective truth? How is a round Earth any less true than a flat one? And if believing in a round Earth makes the Earth round, then it *is* now round, even if it *was* flat before! And maybe it was only flat before (according to this weird twisting of quantum physics) - maybe it was flat then because people *believed* that it was flat! Man, I seriously gotta stay away from Youtube, this is driving me batty....

Videos bellow...

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
You make us sound like we all believe these concepts, which to me seem more in line with Law of Attraction on a massive scale.

In my experience we Flat Earthers have many different and often conflicting beliefs. We are all only united by a common belief that our Earth is flat, beyond that there is not a single model we all agree on.

We are not in denial, but we have seen the theories and supposed evidence of other models of the world and decided we do not agree with them. This is like saying we are all in denial because we all don't believe in your religion in spite of all the theories and evidence proving your god was the "correct" one. The facts of science are always changing. In 100 years from now children will laugh at all the things you knew to be true.

?

tappet

So even if you took one of these Flat Earther up in a rocket and showed them that the Earth was clearly a ball, they would STILL deny it.

I love these one liners. Fantasize much?

Virgin Galactic. If you flew on Virgin Galactic, you'd still be in denial.

http://www.virgingalactic.com/

Actually, you folks probably think that Richard Branson is in on the "conspiracy".

?

tappet

What makes your link any more real than this one?
http://www.startrek.com/
Actually I think my link is more believable.

This is what I mean about your denialism rabbit hole. Nobody is *faking* Virgin Galactic. I have multiple friends (because I live in Tucson ad volunteer at the Planetarium and through UofA Science) who went to the first VG test flight. I'm reasonably sure that they were all there, and most of them have movies and pictures.

But, of course, to sustain your Flat Earth delusions, you have to assume that either I am lying, or my friends are lying, or the vast conspiracy *faked* a space launch in front of thousands and thousands of people...because...?

And, in the near future, when VG starts sending it's currently booked clients up into space, you will come up with some sort of BS story to explain how that can't be happening. All those clients are lying, or they "just flew beneath the dome" and how all their pictures of the Earth are "shot through a fish-eye lens".

Because this isn't about finding truth, this isn't about what's real or not. It's about sustaining your paranoid delusions of a giant conspiracy involving millions and millions of people around the world.

?

tappet

This is what I mean about your denialism rabbit hole. Nobody is *faking* Virgin Galactic. I have multiple friends (because I live in Tucson ad volunteer at the Planetarium and through UofA Science) who went to the first VG test flight. I'm reasonably sure that they were all there, and most of them have movies and pictures.

But, of course, to sustain your Flat Earth delusions, you have to assume that either I am lying, or my friends are lying, or the vast conspiracy *faked* a space launch in front of thousands and thousands of people...because...?

And, in the near future, when VG starts sending it's currently booked clients up into space, you will come up with some sort of BS story to explain how that can't be happening. All those clients are lying, or they "just flew beneath the dome" and how all their pictures of the Earth are "shot through a fish-eye lens".

Because this isn't about finding truth, this isn't about what's real or not. It's about sustaining your paranoid delusions of a giant conspiracy involving millions and millions of people around the world.

WTF, you start off talking about rabbit holes, then you tell us you have multiple friends because you live in Tucson and are reasonably sure they were at the VG test flight. Then you tell me in the near future when VG is sending people into blah, blah.
And to top it off you going off at me about grand delusions.
Remind me again what I am trying to tell you, then have a good think about what you are trying to me.

WTF, you start off talking about rabbit holes, then you tell us you have multiple friends because you live in Tucson and are reasonably sure they were at the VG test flight. Then you tell me in the near future when VG is sending people into blah, blah.
And to top it off you going off at me about grand delusions.
Remind me again what I am trying to tell you, then have a good think about what you are trying to me.

Basically, YOU are telling me that all my friends must be part of some vast conspiracy to fake space. And they have never told me. And not only are they feakin it, but NASA is and so is Space and Virgin Galactic and Planetary Resources and The Planetary Science Institute here in Tucson and all the people I know who work on the OSIRIS-Rex mission and HiRISE and at the Upper Building where I volunteer, and all my fellow members of the Tucson Astronomical Society.

And I guess that in a way I am in on it because I volunteer to help run the public telescope, and at Star Parties, and through UofA SEDS and the Kuiper Circle and UofA Science, though if there is a conspiracy, which some of my closest and life-long friends are in on, I have never been told, and they have never let it slip even when we've gotten intoxicated together.

Do you think it's maybe because I'm not wearing a tight enough tin foil hat that I am not seeing the truth?

?

tappet

Basically, YOU are telling me that all my friends must be part of some vast conspiracy to fake space. And they have never told me. And not only are they feakin it, but NASA is and so is Space and Virgin Galactic and Planetary Resources and The Planetary Science Institute here in Tucson and all the people I know who work on the OSIRIS-Rex mission and HiRISE and at the Upper Building where I volunteer, and all my fellow members of the Tucson Astronomical Society.

And I guess that in a way I am in on it because I volunteer to help run the public telescope, and at Star Parties, and through UofA SEDS and the Kuiper Circle and UofA Science, though if there is a conspiracy, which some of my closest and life-long friends are in on, I have never been told, and they have never let it slip even when we've gotten intoxicated together.

Do you think it's maybe because I'm not wearing a tight enough tin foil hat that I am not seeing the truth?
Nah, I don't think you need the hat.
So, going for a ride into space soon?

You are actually kinda making my case for me, there are multiple, multi-million dollar companies around the world currently striving to make space tourism the next big thriving industry. It's a potential market worth billions, and the first tourists will fly within the next 5 years. (Of course, I'm sure you will claim that each and every one of them are lying.)

And yeah, as prices drop, I *do* expect to fly into space before I die.

It's happening. Unless all of these companies and their investors and even their customers are all part of same vast lie or conspiracy. To what end, I have no idea.

And yet you are still in denial. So either you are deeply delusional, or a troll. (I'm actually leaning towards the latter, because I'm not sure anyone could actually be as thick-headed and ignorant as you seem to be. But then again, Zero Point seems to think that people are faking Australia. So maybe you do think that people are faking all of space industry...)

http://observer.com/2015/09/2016-could-be-the-year-space-tourism-takes-off/

?

tappet

You are actually kinda making my case for me, there are multiple, multi-million dollar companies around the world currently striving to make space tourism the next big thriving industry. It's a potential market worth billions, and the first tourists will fly within the next 5 years. (Of course, I'm sure you will claim that each and every one of them are lying.)

It's happening. Unless all of these companies and their investors and even their customers are all part of same vast lie or conspiracy. To what end, I have no idea.

And yet you are still in denial. So either you are deeply delusional, or a troll. (I'm actually leaning towards the latter, because I'm not sure anyone could actually be as thick-headed and ignorant as you seem to be. But then again, Zero Point seems to think that people are faking Australia. So maybe you do think that people are faking all of space industry...)

Because I do not share your enthusiasm for space tourism, you call me delusional, thick headed, ignorant in denial and so on.
Yet at the same time there is no space tourism. If it ever happens then you may have a case, but at the moment I think you may need a reality check.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
Hi again, tappet.

Here are just a few of the technical problems with Branson's 'SpaceShit':

* The pressurised monocoque fuselage/cabin is not reinforced with any essential substructures i.e. bulkheads, formers & stringers.

* The carbon-composites it is allegedly made from are utterly unproven in hypersonic flight & have many problems associated with their brittle, porous nature such as microscopic material cracking, delamination etc. The distinctly subsonic Airbus A380 fleet was grounded due to these problems.

* The claimed rate of climb of 416 m/s would destroy the flimsy stabilisers & tail structure, which also btw couldn't possibly function as claimed in its 'feather technique' due to lack of atmosphere.

* There is no evidence of damage from heat-friction to the 'ablative' paintwork on either nosecone or wing leading edges after alleged hypersonic test-flights (a BIG lol! at this one).

* The rocket motor is also a puny joke, plus it doesn't have enough fuel storage capacity for its claimed performance anyway, the aerodynamics are a mess & then there's the usual lack of any real-time telemetry data in their test-flight footage...

I could go on, but it's clearly a lash-up & a fake & I'm bored of it now...

Besides, I'm sure you get the picture already.

This STP character won't get it, mind; but we don't expect him to, do we?

Bye-bye!
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

This coming from somebody who actually believes that the Earth is flat.

BTW, where did you get you degree in aeronautical engineering from, can I ask?

?

tappet

Hi again, tappet.

* The pressurised monocoque fuselage/cabin is not reinforced with any essential substructures i.e. bulkheads, formers & stringers.

* The carbon-composites it is allegedly made from are utterly unproven in hypersonic flight & have many problems associated with their brittle, porous nature such as microscopic material cracking, delamination etc. The distinctly subsonic Airbus A380 fleet was grounded due to these problems.

* The claimed rate of climb of 416 m/s would destroy the flimsy stabilisers & tail structure, which also btw couldn't possibly function as claimed in its 'feather technique' due to lack of atmosphere.

* There is no evidence of damage from heat-friction to the 'ablative' paintwork on either nosecone or wing leading edges after alleged hypersonic test-flights (a BIG lol! at this one).

* The rocket motor is also a puny joke, plus it doesn't have enough fuel storage capacity for its claimed performance anyway, the aerodynamics are a mess & then there's the usual lack of any real-time telemetry data in their test-flight footage...

I could go on, but it's clearly a lash-up & a fake & I'm bored of it now...

Besides, I'm sure you get the picture already.

Bye-bye!
I gotta say, love the way you operate.
Cheers.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters

And STP Fails immediately...

LOL!!!

Gonna bang on about 'conspiracies' next?

Wanna Fail again?

Because I do not share your enthusiasm for space tourism, you call me delusional, thick headed, ignorant in denial and so on.
Yet at the same time there is no space tourism. If it ever happens then you may have a case, but at the moment I think you may need a reality check.

It's not about enthusiasm, is that you and your fellow Flat Earthers think that literally millions of people - millions and millions when you count all the governments and military and commercial and public space programs, scientists, telecommunications companies, etc, etc, etc, are actually faking space. (And all to what end, I have no idea. I guess because "Satan" or something. Or maybe you have no idea because you haven't actually thought it out that far.)

And no, I don't believe I'll have a case *when* (not if) they start sending civilian tourists into space in the next, well, likely next 2 years. Because that is my point. It STILL won't be enough to convince you. You already believe that the whole space industry (and it's a HUGE industry) are part of an elaborate hoax. (Again, to what end, I have no idea.) So even in the *hypothetical* situation of a Flat Earther in a spaceship, looking down on a Globe Earth, that Flat Earther, I believe, would STILL deny or try to explain away what they are seeing, even if it involved some elaborately crazy explanation, the delusion would still find a way to sustain itself.

Because, I sincerely believe, that no amount of evidence will shake that delusion. And so there is NOTHING that would ever convince a die-hard Flat Earther that the Earth is round, even if they saw a round Earth from space with their own eyes.

I honestly believe *NOTHING* - no amount of proof - will change the mind of someone who is deeply committed to their own personal delusion.

For example, take the people in the video in my OP, who are Flat Earthers  who DO know that space isn't fake, and that there are satellites and rockets and space stations and people in orbit, and that we have pictures and that they do indeed show a round the Earth. But do the then conclude that the Earth is round? No, just the opposite - they concoct further crazy "theories" to help them deny the reality of what they are seeing. They say that the Earth only looks like a sphere from space because the Earth's  gravity is "curving light", and they propose the idea that space is like an old 80's arcade game like Asteroids where there is something called "no-space" ('the opposite of space") where satellites reach the edge of the disc or square Earth and disappear only to instantly re-appear on the other side (because crossing "no-space" takes "no time") just like an old Arcade game. And t doesn't matter that light doesn't behave in the way that they claim, and it doesn't matter that there is absolutely NO EVIDENCE for something called "no-space" (which, conveniently "can't be seen") because they enable the delusional person to literally deny what is right in front of their eyes and they have empirical proof of. 

My point was never "we can all go into space as tourists now", it was using a hypothetical scenario to illustrate my belief that even if, in the *hypothetical* situation where a die-hard flat Earther was put in a space ship, looking down on the obviously round-looking globe of the Earth, in orbit around it in the vacuum of space, that I still believe that Flat Earther would still find a way to deny what they were literally seeing with their very eyes.

My point is that I sincerely believe that there is no amount of evidence or even direct experience that will shake a delusional person of their delusion.

And STP Fails immediately...

LOL!!!

Gonna bang on about 'conspiracies' next?

Wanna Fail again?

And again, I'm not the one claiming that space is faked or that NASA and Virgin Galactic and everyone else is faking space imagery.

And pretty much every Flat Earther I know thinks that NASA is a "hoax" - hell, it coming across claim of this over and over from Flat Earthers commenting on NASA youtube videos that brought me to here.

But if that is not what you believe, then what do you believe?

Because I'm honestly curious.

You believe that the Earth is flat, I assume? So how do you account for things like pictures of the Earth from space, people who have flown in space an come back and said "It's a ball".

I ca only see one of 3 alternatives here:

1. NASA is real, space is real, the Earth is round.
2. NASA and space are real, but for some reason the Earth only *looks* like a ball from space.
or 3. NASA and every other space agency, military, etc, on the planet is lying, and that pretty much implies a conspiracy.

I suppose there's the forth option that NASA and every other space agency doesn't exist, and the media makes everything up and the world is some elaborate Truman Show style hoax...which, basically, again implies a vast conspiracy somewhere.

(And if the media is faking *everything*, how indeed do I know that Zero Point and people like him aren't telling the truth after all, and maybe Australia was nuked, hell, maybe nothing exists beyond the, well, in my case, the parts of the world I have been too, which in my case include the US, Europe, and part of Asia.)

Or is there another alternative here that I am leaving out?

Because either there is a real space industry and real space programs and they are clearly roof of a round Earth, or someone is faking all of this, which, is pretty much what is known as a "conspiracy."

Or space programs and space industry are indeed real, but what we all those people think that they are seeing and doing isn't what they are actually seeing and doing. And in that case, is reality is that tricky, how can anyone of us believe ANYTHING that our senses tell us? How do we tell reality form illusion, when reality is so tricky?

What do *you* believe?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:08:51 AM by Swiftly Tilting Planet »

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
What do *you* believe?

I believe that what *you* wrote is tl;dr.

Now chew on this:

FACT: Conspiracy To Defraud is a very real Crime.

FACT: Richard Branson got caught for Tax Fraud in the early 1970s.

FACT: He has a consistent record of fleecing investors in his schemes since; see Virgin Blue, V2, Virgin Express, etc.

FACT: His 'SpaceShitTwo' is a laughably unfeasible contraption, ergo his 'space tourism' idea is impossible.

FACT: Anyone who invests in it or buys tickets in advance is an Idiot.

FACT: You & your time-wasting, criminal, aiding & abetting of a blatant attempt to Defraud the public are now done with; goodbye!

What do *you* believe?

I believe that what *you* wrote is tl;dr.

Now chew on this:

FACT: He has a consistent record of fleecing investors in his schemes since; see Virgin Blue, V2, Virgin Express, etc.

FACT: His 'SpaceShitTwo' is a laughably unfeasible contraption, ergo his 'space tourism' idea is impossible.

FACT: Anyone who invests in it or buys tickets in advance is an Idiot.

FACT: You & your time-wasting, criminal, aiding & abetting of a blatant attempt to Defraud the public are now done with; goodbye!

Being eloquent doesn't make up for the fact that your posts are, in fact, TL;DR.

Even your "quotes" in your profile/signature screams delusional.

Oh, and while on the topic, I know for a fact that you're being medicated for mental issues.

Please, oh PLEASE ask me how I know this. :D I beg you, I really want you to know.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
Being eloquent doesn't make up for the fact that your posts are, in fact, TL;DR.

Oh, and while on the topic, I know for a fact that you're being medicated for mental issues.

Please, oh PLEASE ask me how I know this. :D I beg you, I really want you to know.

I'll say this once:

LOL!!!

Cool story, bro...

Now; I'd prefer you to address the following points, if possible:

Which brings us to:

FACT: He has a consistent record of fleecing investors in his schemes; see Virgin Blue, V2, Virgin Express, etc.

FACT: His 'SpaceShitTwo' is a laughably unfeasible contraption, for the reasons outlined above, ergo his 'space tourism' idea is impossible.

CONCLUSION: Anyone who invests in Virgin Galactic or buys tickets in advance is an Idiot.

Any of you Conspiracy to Defraud Denialists care to comment?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:59:16 AM by Papa Legba »

I'll say this once:

LOL!!!

Cool story, bro...

Now; I'd prefer you to address the following points, if possible:

Which brings us to:

FACT: He has a consistent record of fleecing investors in his schemes; see Virgin Blue, V2, Virgin Express, etc.

FACT: His 'SpaceShitTwo' is a laughably unfeasible contraption, for the reasons outlined above, ergo his 'space tourism' idea is impossible.

CONCLUSION: Anyone who invests in Virgin Galactic or buys tickets in advance is an Idiot.

Any of you Conspiracy to Defraud Denialists care to comment?

It's really amazing that only you have seen all of these problems, and people who are actual rocket scientists haven't!

So, hpw and where are they faking all of these test flights? And how is it that agencies other than VG have tracked these test flights into space?

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
LOL!!!

'Rocket scientists' like Schilling, Schiller, Schmucker & Herbert you mean?

LMFAO!!!

Again, here are just a few of the technical problems with Branson's 'SpaceShit'; make your own minds up if I'm sincere or not, neutrals:

Which brings us to:

FACT: Branson has collected over 600 million in investments in Virgin galactic thus far; most are from rich Arabs & may be some kind of money-laundering scheme/tax write-off, but at least 38 million is from advance ticket sales... Hope them suckers read the small-print!

CONCLUSION: Anyone who invests in Virgin Galactic or buys tickets in advance is either a Criminal or an Idiot.

Any of you Conspiracy to Defraud Denialists care to comment further?

LOL!!!

'Rocket scientists' like Schilling, Schiller, Schmucker & Herbert you mean?

So where is your degree in engineering from?

I don't have a degree in engineering, so I just have to go by what my engineer friends tell me. I can run your questions by them, but I have a feeling that if they disagree with your criticisms, you will just call them "shills".

But even if Branson is faking his flights, somehow in front of crowds of thousand of people, many of whom are space experts and enthusiasts....Branson isn't the only on in the private space or space tourism business.

Are thwy ALL faking it?

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
Yes, they are all faking it; they have been from the start.

Which is why it is so hard for any one of them to call another one out.

Zero-sum game, you know?

Try learning to think.

Whatever; these are all the facts you need to know:

Here are just a few of the technical problems with Branson's 'SpaceShit'; make your own minds up if I'm sincere or not, neutrals:

Which brings us to:

FACT: Branson has collected over 600 million in investments in Virgin galactic thus far; most are from rich Arabs & may be some kind of money-laundering scheme/tax write-off, but at least 38 million is from advance ticket sales... Hope them suckers read the small-print!

CONCLUSION: Anyone who invests in Virgin Galactic or buys tickets in advance is either a Criminal or an Idiot.

Yes, they are all faking it; they have been from the start.

Which is why it is so hard for any one of them to call another one out.

Zero-sum game, you know?

Try learning to think.

Whatever; these are all the facts you need to know:

Here are just a few of the technical problems with Branson's 'SpaceShit'; make your own minds up if I'm sincere or not, neutrals:

Which brings us to:

Right, so the bottom line is that if I run your issues with SpaceShip II's design by my friends who are actual rocket scientists, you will just dismiss any of their answers because you believe that they are ALL shills who are faking space.

So, there's a vast conspiracy to fake space, that would have to involve literally millions of people around the world. 

I do think, a lot, and when I consider just how many people would have to be involved in faking space and space exploration and telecommunications satelites and weather satelites and military satelites, the size of the hoax would have to be enormous. And costly. Probably even more costly than actually just sending stuff into space. Occam's Razor would have me believe the more plausible of the scenarios, and if it's giant evil global conspiracy,  or science is right and space is real, I think it's more ppausable that space is real, my many friends in the astronomical and engineering and planetary sciences community aren't ALL lying to me.

Plus, I can see space. I can see satelites, I can see the ISS, I can see Saturn's rings with simple binoculars...when they announced that they were going to detonate barium canisters in orbit back in the 90's I watched it personally from my parents land outside of Wilcox, Arizona...and when the tether broke for tge Shuttle in orbit a few years later, I saw that too, from my front yard in Tucson. I have no idea how anyone *could* fake those last two things, or even why they would bother.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
LOL!!!

Cool story, bro...

Nevertheless, your tiresome fantasy ramblings aside, the fact remains that the only 'conspiracy' involved in Virgin Galactic is Conspiracy to Defraud.

Something Richard Branson has a history of btw.

Tell you what; buy a ticket for his SpaceShitTwo, take a trip to 'space', then come here & tell us aaaaaaall about it...

See ya Never!

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Honestly, I don't think Virgin will make it to space any time soon. SpaceX and Sierra Nevada Corporation are much more likely to do so. I'm guessing SpaceX will go commercial at around 2020-2025, but they already have a contract with NASA to launch astronauts into space next year.

Until then, Legba can keep on pretending that he knows all about Virgin Galactic's spaceships and their construction. Lol. Maybe you could talk to the engineers.
It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Who wants to be a firefly and who wants to be a blue whale?
-Sceptimatic

Please do not jizz to win an argument.
-Crutonius

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from.
-Inty (again)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
I don't know where Papa Legba is employed but his talents are most certainly wasted.  I cannot fathom why he does not earn a fortune advising the top Aeronautical Engineers on the design of spacecraft.  Of course they would never break because they would be so heavy that they could never escape the UA.  Oops, isn't that out of fashion lately - maybe it's now Magnetic Gravity.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
LOL!!!

Funny how you all keep scratting away at the subject of where I'm employed, isn't it?

It's also funny how you keep saying my claims re. the technical problems with Branson's SpaceShit are all wrong, yet have not even attempted to refute a single one of them...

That is because you cannot; because they are all valid.

It is a Joke.

Anyhoo, Fraud-Denialists & hucksters, I won't be posting on this lame thread any more; I've been digging into the finances of Virgin Galactic a little more & the results are far too lulzy to waste here.

Toodle-pip!