when did the Round Earth model appear in history?

• 42 Replies

zorbakim

• Pyeong Jee In
when did the Round Earth model appear in history?
« on: September 18, 2015, 01:16:56 AM »
What do you think that the round earth model appeared in history?
ancient Greek? or Medieval?

In Asia, China Korea and Japan etc, I know that Jesuit gave the notion.
We Asian thought that the Earth is flat until then. 

When did the Vatican start to believe the Round Earth?
although Bible says flat Earth.
The conceptual earth is round, but the sensory earth is flat.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
Re: when did the Round Earth model appear in history?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 01:35:23 AM »

The ancient Egyptians discovered it maybe 1000 bc or something like that, the ancient greeks around 300 something bc.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 08:01:03 AM »
The Earth has been known to be round since before the invention of the wheel.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 08:37:36 AM »

The ancient Egyptians discovered it maybe 1000 bc or something like that, the ancient greeks around 300 something bc.

Greeks hypothetized it around 600 BC and admitted it around 300 BC. :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:41:22 AM by XaeXae »

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »
And ever since those times the powers that be have done everything in their power to keep the public believing in that model. Once science fully developed the theory of gravity they knew they had to keep the Earth as a ball for it all not to fall apart.

Gravity is not real and a round Earth is not possible.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »
And ever since those times the powers that be have done everything in their power to keep the public believing in that model. Once science fully developed the theory of gravity they knew they had to keep the Earth as a ball for it all not to fall apart.

Prove it.  Tell me one thing that you expect to observe on a round Earth that we do not observe in reality.  I have asked many times and no flat earther has been able to do it so far.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Mikey T.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
Queue the strawman tactics of misrepresenting what Mikeman just asked for... again. 

Poko

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 01:28:09 PM »

Prove it.  Tell me one thing that you expect to observe on a round Earth that we do not observe in reality.  I have asked many times and no flat earther has been able to do it so far.

This is the question that always shuts them down. At this point, flat earthers have two option: 1. Ignore the question or 2. Create a strawman of the round earth model and refute that. Meanwhile, there are several things that the flat earth model would predict that we simply don't observe.

For example, if we observe the sun going below the horizon at sunset (which we do), then the sun would have to go under the flat earth. If the sun was under the earth, it would be night everywhere in the world. It is never night everywhere, so we know this doesn't happen.

For another example, if the sun acted like a spotlight and shined on different parts of the world at different times, then the sun must always be above the flat earth. We would never see the sun go below the horizon. We do observe the sun going below the horizon, so we know the sun does not act like a spotlight.
"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 06:29:40 AM »

They did it. One day, they gave a 30-pages PDF with 200 examples very, very easy to disprove...

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »

This is the question that always shuts them down. At this point, flat earthers have two option: 1. Ignore the question or 2. Create a strawman of the round earth model and refute that. Meanwhile, there are several things that the flat earth model would predict that we simply don't observe.

For example, if we observe the sun going below the horizon at sunset (which we do), then the sun would have to go under the flat earth. If the sun was under the earth, it would be night everywhere in the world. It is never night everywhere, so we know this doesn't happen.

For another example, if the sun acted like a spotlight and shined on different parts of the world at different times, then the sun must always be above the flat earth. We would never see the sun go below the horizon. We do observe the sun going below the horizon, so we know the sun does not act like a spotlight.

You need about 3 to 6 suns (and moons) to make the FE sunset/rise work correctly. Oh and you need to have the suns go TROUGH the earth to make them rise in the east and set in the west.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »

You have pointed an interesting issue.

The main problem is Vatikan's try to support the globist theory. Normally a religious structure does not change its mind by easy. What did happen to change their mind? for this, "persuasion" or "deceiving" cannot be an adequate justification. there must have been a more physical and compelling event.

eg assassination and take over papa's identify. When did the evils have conquered the Vatikan?
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 09:28:09 PM »
I recommend you read the story of Cardinal Luciani, ie Papa 1 Jean Paul. It gives you many evidences of whats happen in Vatikan and before the recent times.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 10:15:53 PM »
Sorry about splitting up your post, but I could see no other way of handling it.

Late Ancient Greek period.

Quote from: wise
Quote from: zorbakim
Yes, that would be right. I believe it was in the 17th century AD.

The "The Vatican" never "believed" in the flat earth, though the shape of earth was never a part of Church Doctrine.
The earth's being stationary and at the centre of the Universe was, however, certainly an "Article of Faith".

The main problem is Vatikan's try to support the globist theory. Normally a religious structure does not change its mind by easy. What did happen to change their mind?
The Vatican never changed their mind of the matter of the shape of the earth. The Church never "officially" taught that the earth was flat.

Look at the writings of:
             the early English monk, theologian and historian, the Venerable Bede (673–735) and
             the monk John of Sacrobosco (c. 1195–c. 1256) who wrote the Treatise on the Sphere.
You might read:
Quote from: Jonathan Sarfati
The flat earth myth
. . . . . .
flat-earth belief was extremely rare in the Church. The flat earth’s two main proponents were obscure figures named Lactantius (c. 240 – c. 320) and Cosmas Indicopleustes (6th century; the last name means “voyager to India”). However, they were hugely outweighed by tens of thousands of Christian theologians, poets, artists, scientists, and rulers who unambiguously affirmed that the earth was round. Russell documents accounts supporting earth’s sphericity from numerous medieval church scholars such as friar Roger Bacon (1220–1292), inventor of spectacles; leading medieval scientists such as John Buridan (1301–1358) and Nicholas Oresme (1320–1382); the monk John of Sacrobosco (c. 1195–c. 1256) who wrote Treatise on the Sphere, and many more.
. . . . . . . . .
One of the best-known proponents of a globe-shaped earth was the early English monk, theologian and historian, the Venerable Bede (673–735), who popularized the common BC/AD dating system. Less well known was that he was also a leading astronomer of his day.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Here is what Bede said about the shape of the earth—round “like a ball” not “like a shield”:

“We call the earth a globe, not as if the shape of a sphere were expressed in the diversity of plains and mountains, but because, if all things are included in the outline, the earth’s circumference will represent the figure of a perfect globe. … For truly it is an orb placed in the centre of the universe; in its width it is like a circle, and not circular like a shield but rather like a ball, and it extends from its centre with perfect roundness on all sides.”

More in The flat earth myth.

Not only that, but the "shape of the earth" was never an "article of faith" with the Roman Catholic Church and in the first few centuries there were those who followed the Hebrew tradition of the flat domed earth but most followed the Greek idea of the Globe earth.

What The Church did object to was not the earth being a Globe but with the Copernican idea the earth was not the centre of the universe.

<< I'll ignore you unfounded conjectures >>
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:28:41 PM by rabinoz »

JackBlack

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 10:58:00 PM »
Firstly, pure BS, Secondly and more importantly, that has nothing to do with the topic.

They did it. One day, they gave a 30-pages PDF with 200 examples very, very easy to disprove...
You mean they provided a few repeated examples of completely misrepresenting it?
There is nothing in that pile of garbage which actually challenges the globe.

The main problem is Vatikan's try to support the globist theory. Normally a religious structure does not change its mind by easy. What did happen to change their mind? for this, "persuasion" or "deceiving" cannot be an adequate justification. there must have been a more physical and compelling event.
And do you know what that "event" was?
Far too much evidence showing that Earth was round for them to deny it and be taken seriously.
But that happened before the Vatican was invented by the Romans.

JackBlack

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 11:00:30 PM »

You seem to have most of it.
It was known in ancient times, long before 1 CE.
Who was first I am not sure of.

But the Chinese didn't care much about it and believed it was flat until fairly recently (i.e. a few hundred years ago).

As the Vatican was produced by Rome, they never thought Earth was flat.
And you will see that quite a lot with various religions.
They know that in order to be taken seriously rather than as a complete joke they need to have some semblance of reality and sanity. As such they completely ignore the teachings of the religion and instead side with reality/morality when it is deemed appropriate.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 11:52:53 PM »
Rabinoz I have quoted him then you have answered him mentioned from me. Both you and me were answering his questions. Why don't you quote from directly his post, that direct adress of your answers, but not mine. What kind of funy us this?
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 01:17:50 AM »
Rabinoz I have quoted him then you have answered him mentioned from me. Both you and me were answering his questions. Why don't you quote from directly his post, that direct adress of your answers, but not mine. What kind of funy us this?
It's no "kind of funny". It was simply because it was quite an old posted on September 18, 2015 over 3 years ago.
So I thought it better to reply to your post and just insert brief responses to zorbakim in that post.

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 07:25:31 AM »
The apple was an apple before someone came by and said "hey, thats an apple".

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 12:09:01 PM »
You have to apologise and correct the following mistakes. Till that time, you are a liar and dishonest manipulator!

Sorry about splitting up your post, but I could see no other way of handling it.

(What do you think that the round earth model appeared in history?
ancient Greek? or Medieval?) THIS IS NOT BELONGS TO WISE!

THIS IS NOT BELONGS TO WISE!

The "The Vatican" never "believed" in the flat earth, though the shape of earth was never a part of Church Doctrine.
The earth's being stationary and at the centre of the Universe was, however, certainly an "Article of Faith".

The main problem is Vatikan's try to support the globist theory. Normally a religious structure does not change its mind by easy. What did happen to change their mind?
THIS IS NOT BELONGS TO ZORBAKIM!
The Vatican never changed their mind of the matter of the shape of the earth. The Church never "officially" taught that the earth was flat.

Look at the writings of:
             the early English monk, theologian and historian, the Venerable Bede (673–735) and
             the monk John of Sacrobosco (c. 1195–c. 1256) who wrote the Treatise on the Sphere.
You might read:
The flat earth myth
. . . . . .
flat-earth belief was extremely rare in the Church. The flat earth’s two main proponents were obscure figures named Lactantius (c. 240 – c. 320) and Cosmas Indicopleustes (6th century; the last name means “voyager to India”). However, they were hugely outweighed by tens of thousands of Christian theologians, poets, artists, scientists, and rulers who unambiguously affirmed that the earth was round. Russell documents accounts supporting earth’s sphericity from numerous medieval church scholars such as friar Roger Bacon (1220–1292), inventor of spectacles; leading medieval scientists such as John Buridan (1301–1358) and Nicholas Oresme (1320–1382); the monk John of Sacrobosco (c. 1195–c. 1256) who wrote Treatise on the Sphere, and many more.
. . . . . . . . .
One of the best-known proponents of a globe-shaped earth was the early English monk, theologian and historian, the Venerable Bede (673–735), who popularized the common BC/AD dating system. Less well known was that he was also a leading astronomer of his day.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Here is what Bede said about the shape of the earth—round “like a ball” not “like a shield”:

“We call the earth a globe, not as if the shape of a sphere were expressed in the diversity of plains and mountains, but because, if all things are included in the outline, the earth’s circumference will represent the figure of a perfect globe. … For truly it is an orb placed in the centre of the universe; in its width it is like a circle, and not circular like a shield but rather like a ball, and it extends from its centre with perfect roundness on all sides.”

Not only that, but the "shape of the earth" was never an "article of faith" with the Roman Catholic Church and in the first few centuries there were those who followed the Hebrew tradition of the flat domed earth but most followed the Greek idea of the Globe earth.

What The Church did object to was not the earth being a Globe but with the Copernican idea the earth was not the centre of the universe.

For others, understand what I meant, look the upper post that I mentioned. He is clearly quoted from me but zorbakim's words. When he use my words, but sıunds like zorbakim says it. He clearly kiding us. Where is the forum management?

This is rabinoz terror!
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

?

frenat

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
You have to apologise and correct the following mistakes. Till that time, you are a liar and dishonest manipulator!

ancient Greek? or Medieval?) THIS IS NOT BELONGS TO WISE!

THIS IS NOT BELONGS TO ZORBAKIM!

Look at the writings of:
You might read:
The flat earth myth
. . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .

For others, understand what I meant, look the upper post that I mentioned. He is clearly quoted from me but zorbakim's words. When he use my words, but sıunds like zorbakim says it. He clearly kiding us. Where is the forum management?

This is rabinoz terror!
Could you be any more childish?

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 01:36:01 PM »
Correction: Catholics who have studied the Bible extensively know the Earth is flat.

JackBlack

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 01:58:01 PM »
ancient Greek? or Medieval?) THIS BELONGS TO WISE!
For others, understand what I meant
Yes, and everyone can see, until you edited it and put your own text in there.
Notice how it says
That makes it clear that it is likely their words, not yours.
It is only when you start manipulating it like you just did that people will question it.

Correction: Catholics who have studied the Bible extensively know the Earth is flat.
Correction, they blindly believed based upon their blind faith in an ancient book full of crap.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 02:27:12 PM »

You might read:
The flat earth myth
. . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .

Why do you quote Jonathan Sarfati? Do you think a Young Earth Creationist is a reliable source on Christian history?

Lactantius, the advisor of Constantine, an "obscure figure"? Really? And why does he not mention John Chrysostomus and the other Syrian fathers like Theodoretus? We already talked about that. Sarfati, as an apologist, has an agenda here, because he downplays the church fathers who were opposed to Greek philosophy and science. Flat earthers among Christian theologians were the minority and vanished in the early Middle Age, but flatearthism was not "extremely rare", it was very common in the early church.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:38:32 PM by FalseProphet »

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 03:20:24 PM »
I'm Catholic and I have studied and continue to study the bible (and other religions texts) and I do not believe the earth is flat.  The Catholic Church does not now, nor has it ever taught that the earth is flat...just sayin'
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 03:25:31 PM »
No, Mr Wise, I do not! The issue is simply your misunderstanding the use of [quote] . . . [/quote]. I should have realised earlier that it was something like that.

This was simply due to your confusion and I do not blame you for that, but why are you always so suspicious and paranoid? Nobody is "out to get you" here.

I was simply attempting to post my ideas on what zorbakim was asking and on your comments on them - nothing more, nothing less.

I'll explain each of you VERY MUCH HIGHLIGHTED complaints below.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This is rabinoz terror!
No, Wise, you are quite incorrect with your claim, "He (rabinoz) is clearly quoted from me but zorbakim's words. When he use my (wise's) words, but sıunds like zorbakim says it."

Now, please calm down and look again at the four places that you complain about.
(1) 
I did not claim that it did "BELONGED TO WISE"! Look at the
. . .
That "Quote from: zorbakim" indicates that it was written by zorbakim not Wise.

(2)  Same as for #1.

(3)  Same as for #1.
(4) 
Here I did not claim that it did "THIS BELONGS TO ZORBAKIM!"! Look at the
. . .
That "Quote from: zorbakim" ends before what you posted starts indicating that it was written by Wise not zorbakim.

Please let this be the end of this sorry episode!

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 08:00:26 PM »
It is impossible you agree your mistake! You're still insisting your mistake. Instead of a sorry, you continue to deceive everybody, with support your bed partner.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 08:39:44 PM »
It is impossible you agree your mistake!
Stop this right now! I did not make a mistake and you have never shown where there is a mistake on my part.
You misunderstood the "Quotes" and that is all it was.
No-one is trying to deceive you and I fail to see why anyone would want to on an issue like that - what would be the point?
If you disagree ask some moderator to adjudicate.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »
Stop this right now! I did not make a mistake and you have never shown where there is a mistake on my part.
No-one is trying to deceive you and I fail to see why anyone would want to on an issue like that - what would be the point?

You are wrong. You know the moderators are on your serf, so you can not do anything opposite of you. But this is the truth you are both manipulationg the issue, and trying to save your Vatikan partners whşch free masons like you conquered the Vatikan.

You have achieved your goal and one more time, you have evaded the danger on your free mason partners in Vatikan. Good game manipulator!
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 09:32:13 PM »
You are wrong.
No! I am not wrong. Everything I did was quite correct. You misinterpreted the "Quotes" that is all there is to it - nothing else!
I don't time to go into more detail now but how can I possibly convince you that I never set out to deceive you or anyone else?

If you aren't satisfied with the moderators here that is not my problem.  Maybe you should look to yourself for some of the blame.
Just remember that you got tossed out of TFES.org and no-one could question that they are most certainly a genuine flat earth site.

You are so suspicious that you seem to think everyone is "out to get you"! They are not and if you treat others reasonably they will treat you the same.

JackBlack

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 10:34:58 PM »
But this is the truth you are both manipulationg the issue
You wouldn't know the truth if it hit you in the face.

Have you bothered taking a look at what you have shown?
Notice the first thing you have circled?
Notice how it clearly has "Quote from: zorbakim" directly above the box you are complaining isn't your words, making it clear to everyone that the text is from zorbakim?

You seem to have no idea at all of how the quote system works.

You are the one manipulating here. You are trying to pretend that Rab pretended they were your words, when he made it clear that they were not.
Now quit your whinging.

Do you have anything on topic to say?
The Vatican accepts Earth is round because that is what all the evidence indicates and they would prefer to stick to reality a little bit rather than be a laughing stock.