Say I'm standing on the Tropic of Cancer at midnight on the Summer Solstice

• 28 Replies
Let's say I'm in southern Mexico, on the Tropic of Cancer, at midnight on the Summer Solstice.  Somewhere in Asia the Sun is directly overhead on the opposite side of the Tropic.  The straight line distance between the two points on the Tropic of Cancer is about 9,000 miles.  The Sun is at an altitude of 3,000 miles.  A simple trig calculation says I should be able to see the Sun at about 18 degrees above the horizon at midnight.  What's up with that?

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
Re: Say I'm standing on the Tropic of Cancer at midnight on the Summer Solstice
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »
Why don't you try it and tell us what you observe?

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 04:48:33 PM »
I used the Tropic because it was convenient, but here at 40* Latitude, the Sun should be even higher at midnight on the Solstice.  I was outside at midnight on the Solstice.  Definitely no Sun.

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 05:50:35 PM »
I am sorry science has failed you.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 06:00:01 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm just wondering why I can't see the Sun at night on the Solstice.  Do you know?

chtwrone

• Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 01:46:03 AM »

It's not science that has failed him, it is the flawed flat earth model that has failed, but then it always does.
Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 07:56:44 AM »

Science didn't fail, it proved once again that Earth is round.  If science didn't work then we wouldn't have technology like computers, and the same process that helped people learn the physics behind computers taught us that Earth is round.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Modern science is competent in the development of computers and related technology, but totally incompetent in the field of geography.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 09:48:21 AM »
Modern science is competent in the development of computers and related technology, but totally incompetent in the field of geography.

I'm not using modern science.  I'm using flat earth geography.  The wiki says the Earth's disc has a diameter of around 25,000 miles and the sun is at a height of around 3000 miles.  Are these numbers wrong?  I'm really confused as to why I can't see the Sun all day on the Solstice.  Please explain it to me.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »

I have to disagree.  Geography is done by making observations and developing maps to match them.  That sounds very scientific to me.

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »

You know nothing about science - I've read your posts about gravity. Why don't you answer the question?
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 03:45:26 PM »

You know nothing about science - I've read your posts about gravity. Why don't you answer the question?

I apologize if my posts on gravity frighten you, Neil. It is not my intention to shatter your worldview so rapidly.

The truth is that gravity is a myth and I have no choice but to expose the truth of the theory and all of its many flaws, but gravity is just scratching the surface. The very real problems are rooted in the core of many modern scientific methods and beliefs.

There is a reason I have chosen a sorcerer for my avatar and not a scientist. I have studied many areas of science and mathematics and have come to the conclusion that what we are told is not the truth, but it easier to push forward with wrong information that works most of the time, then change the fundamentals and start from scratch. You are mistaking my disdain for science as ignorance.   

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
My question doesn't involve gravity, either.  I'm just wondering why I can't see the Sun at night in mid-summer.  It should stay well above the horizon all day, but it seems to rise and set.  Help me, wise sorceror.

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 05:13:08 AM »
There are three main factors to consider in attempting to view the distant Sun:

The limits of human vision

The atmosphere

Perspective

Unless you were able to follow the path of the sun, from a stationary point it will always appear to rise and set.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 04:48:20 PM »

The atmosphere

Perspective
Limits of human vision - there is no distance limit, just a brightness limit. The sun doesn't get too dim to see, so of no consequence.
The atmosphere - yes, it can obscure stuff. Gradually, not suddenly. So also of no consequence to the question.
Perspective - the sun always looks the same size. Irrelevant to the question.

Unless you were able to follow the path of the sun, from a stationary point it will always appear to rise and set.
Please explain how your three items consider lead to this conclusion. Set it out in understandable, logical steps.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »
Let's all remember that this is a Q&A forum for the flat Earth, not a debate forum.

chtwrone

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 01:51:34 PM »

The atmosphere

Perspective

Imagine that the sun is directly overhead, which according to the flat earth model means that it's 3000 miles away.  Now imagine that it's the end of the day and the sun is very low in the sky and about to go out of sight.  The sun at this point must be over 15,000 miles away according to the flat earth model.

Funny how the sun's size has not changed despite now being 5 times further away?

No doubt a flat earther is going to just make some shit up to explain this inexplicable anomoly in the flat earth model.

Testify

• In the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »
Imagine that the sun is directly overhead, which according to the flat earth model means that it's 3000 miles away.  Now imagine that it's the end of the day and the sun is very low in the sky and about to go out of sight.  The sun at this point must be over 15,000 miles away according to the flat earth model.

Funny how the sun's size has not changed despite now being 5 times further away?

No doubt a flat earther is going to just make some shit up to explain this inexplicable anomoly in the flat earth model.
God's light is fixed. It is not simply going to alter because you move further away. God is always present.
Isaiah 40:22: "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in"

chtwrone

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 02:15:23 PM »

God's light is fixed. It is not simply going to alter because you move further away. God is always present.

Thanks for that last comment - it is now confirmed that you are just an ignorant fool.

No doubt your god is VERY disappointed in you for having so much shit for brains.  I would assume that he's looking for his followers to have a few more brains than you obviously possess.

The same goes for the moon does it? When it's overhead it's also supposed to be about 3000 miles away, so when it's very low in the sky, it should also be much smaller due to being 5 times more distant?  The moon is treated in exactly the same way by your god, as the sun is it?  The moon must therefore be one of your gods 'fixed lights'?

Testify

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 02:30:25 PM »
Thanks for that last comment - it is now confirmed that you are just an ignorant fool.

No doubt your god is VERY disappointed in you for having so much shit for brains.  I would assume that he's looking for his followers to have a few more brains than you obviously possess.

The same goes for the moon does it? When it's overhead it's also supposed to be about 3000 miles away, so when it's very low in the sky, it should also be much smaller due to being 5 times more distant?  The moon is treated in exactly the same way by your god, as the sun is it?  The moon must therefore be one of your gods 'fixed lights'?

Clearly, yes. The Sun is the light of God and Heaven, the moon is the light of Christ the Son of Man. It was the 'new star' that moved along the sky and marked the birth of Christ.
Isaiah 40:22: "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in"

chtwrone

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 02:39:13 PM »

Clearly, yes. The Sun is the light of God and Heaven, the moon is the light of Christ the Son of Man. It was the 'new star' that moved along the sky and marked the birth of Christ.

The moon was NOT the 'Star of Bethlehem' at all. 

Your god must be VERY disappointed in your ignorance of the scriptures - best you go and look at your bible again for the correct account. 

God hates ignorant fools, therefore he hates you.

Testify

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 02:42:50 PM »

Your god must be VERY disappointed in your ignorance of the scriptures - best you go and look at your bible again for the correct account. 

Name one luminous body in the sky that would clearly be visible as new and moves across, such that it may be followed.
You seem very angry. Why does having God's Word explain provoke you so?

James 1:20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

chtwrone

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 02:46:48 PM »

Name one luminous body in the sky that would clearly be visible as new and moves across, such that it may be followed.
You seem very angry. Why does having God's Word explain provoke you so?

James 1:20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

I feel sorry for you.

It's clear that you are unable to think for yourself, and can only parrot the bible.

You are useless to all on this world.

What use are you?  Do you donate blood for example, or do you consider this 'un-christian'?

Testify

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »
I feel sorry for you.

It's clear that you are unable to think for yourself, and can only parrot the bible.

What use are you?  Do you donate blood for example, or do you consider this 'un-christian'?

You claim I cannot think for myself, and yet you do nothing but reject with no thought and no reason. You cannot understand that it is a choice to follow God's Word.
I spread the word, so that some may be saved. Prolonging a life is of no value, what matters is whether you are saved for what comes beyond.

chtwrone

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 02:59:12 PM »
I feel sorry for you.

You claim I cannot think for myself, and yet you do nothing but reject with no thought and no reason. You cannot understand that it is a choice to follow God's Word.
I spread the word, so that some may be saved. Prolonging a life is of no value, what matters is whether you are saved for what comes beyond.

It is clear from each post you make, that you are just a brainwashed religious zealot, who can only follow the words in the bible as though that is the only way to conduct themselves on this world.

You really are an arrogant piece of shit.  I will not devote any further time to address your pathetic rants.

As I thought, you only think of yourself and not your fellow man (woman).

You are a waste of space and therefore irrelevant - goodbye fool - I have much better things to do with my time than conversing with you.

Go out and donate some blood, and actually do some good in this society, as presently, you are of no use what so ever.

Testify

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »
It is clear from each post you make, that you are just a brainwashed religious zealot, who can only follow the words in the bible as though that is the only way to conduct themselves on this world.

You really are an arrogant piece of shit.  I will not devote any further time to address your pathetic rants.

You are a waste of space and therefore irrelevant - goodbye fool - I have much better things to do with my time than conversing with you.

Go out and donate some blood, and actually do some good in this society, as presently, you are of no use what so ever.

Then goodbye. You will not be missed. One who has hardened his heart may not be taught.

chtwrone

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »

Then goodbye. You will not be missed. One who has hardened his heart may not be taught.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 01:06:58 PM »

The atmosphere

Perspective

Are you claiming that the size of the sun does not change throughout the day? 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
Are you claiming that the size of the sun does not change throughout the day?

If you prove that it does change size throughout the day then the number of flat earthers on this forum will greatly increase.