Astronomical Objects

• 171 Replies
Astronomical Objects
« on: September 16, 2015, 04:08:41 AM »
Why is it reasonable to think earth is flat when objects in space clearly are spherical?
Earth is flat, but Jupiter is the flattest planet in our solar system.

Re: Astronomical Objects
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:15:37 AM »
Many objects in space are stars. Should we conclude that the Earth is a star?

Context is important. In the RE model, stars formed, allowing for different objects to form. In the FE model, 'different' just means a little more.
Here for the scientific development of a Flat Earth model. Happy to be proven wrong, as I hope you are too.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:49:44 AM »
No, we should not rush to any conclusions. To simplify, what are the most common shapes in our solar system?

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 05:08:27 AM »
No, we should not rush to any conclusions. To simplify, what are the most common shapes in our solar system?
That we observe, spheres. However, if we were on the Sun, we would observe everything in our Solar System to be planets.
Here for the scientific development of a Flat Earth model. Happy to be proven wrong, as I hope you are too.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 05:13:06 AM »
That we observe, spheres. However, if we were on the Sun, we would observe everything in our Solar System to be planets.

No, we would still see planets, comets, asteroids, meteors, meteorites and dwarf planets.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 05:19:15 AM »

No, we would still see planets, comets, asteroids, meteors, meteorites and dwarf planets.
Certainly, my point was simply that we would not observe other stars in our Solar System.

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 08:31:11 AM »

Certainly, my point was simply that we would not observe other stars in our Solar System.

Sorry I fail to see how that's relevant. What I don't understand is why planet earth is flat when all other planets are spheres.

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »
Why doesn't every planet have rings like Saturn?

It makes no sense that every object in space would be similar in shape. Look at how much diversity we find here on Earth.

Also Earth is not a planet.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:19:25 AM by Serulian »

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »
Sorry I fail to see how that's relevant. What I don't understand is why planet earth is flat when all other planets are spheres.

Why is the Sun is a ball of plasma when everything else in our Solar System is a lump of rock?
More than one thing can exist. If you take the FE model, the Earth's position is very different to the positions of everything else: it's quite clear that it would had to have formed differently. Why would this give the same result?

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 11:05:55 AM »
Why doesn't every planet have rings like Saturn?

It makes no sense that every object in space would be similar in shape. Look at how much diversity we find here on Earth.

Also Earth is not a planet.

Actually jupiter, Neptune and Uranus also hve rings. The sun has rings in form of asteroid belts. The milky way have spiral rings of stars, gas and dust. Rings are very common around large rotating bodies.

Why is it logical to think earth is anything else than a planet?

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 02:18:48 PM »

Why is the Sun is a ball of plasma when everything else in our Solar System is a lump of rock?
More than one thing can exist. If you take the FE model, the Earth's position is very different to the positions of everything else: it's quite clear that it would had to have formed differently. Why would this give the same result?

Because that's what a solar system is, it's a system of gas, rock and ice orbiting a star. If you look further into space, you will see other stars too. Maybe it's because I don't understand the FE model, but I cant help to wonder why we don't see other flat planets out there.

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
Because that's what a solar system is, it's a system of gas, rock and ice orbiting a star. If you look further into space, you will see other stars too. Maybe it's because I don't understand the FE model, but I cant help to wonder why we don't see other flat planets out there.
I'd be amazed if you could understand the FE model, next to no one's tried to develop one in any scientific sense. There are several who believe a biblical representation, but that's all.
We don't observe other flat planets because it would be unlikely they'd form in close vicinity to the Earth, I believe is the most likely option. After all, the Earth is 'below' the rest of our Solar System: our position stands out, like the Sun in the centre of the RE model. The rules governing the Earth wouldn't be the same as those governing the rest of the system, just by location and what's acting on it.

chtwrone

• Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 10:59:12 PM »
I'd be amazed if you could understand the FE model, next to no one's tried to develop one in any scientific sense. There are several who believe a biblical representation, but that's all.
We don't observe other flat planets because it would be unlikely they'd form in close vicinity to the Earth, I believe is the most likely option. After all, the Earth is 'below' the rest of our Solar System: our position stands out, like the Sun in the centre of the RE model. The rules governing the Earth wouldn't be the same as those governing the rest of the system, just by location and what's acting on it.

Why it is the case that 'next to no one has ever tried to develop one in any scientific sense'?

I would have thought that it would be very easy to come up with a scientific model for a flat earth.

After all, we have an extremely comprehensive scientific model of the round earth.
Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again.

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 06:34:24 AM »
Why it is the case that 'next to no one has ever tried to develop one in any scientific sense'?
A minority accept it, and many of those believe for strictly religious reasons.

I would have thought that it would be very easy to come up with a scientific model for a flat earth.
How? It is rarely easy to create a full scientific model.

After all, we have an extremely comprehensive scientific model of the round earth.
Yes, after many centuries of work, with cutting edge technology, and several million people working on it.

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
I have gained some insight on what flat earth model is about, but I can't say I understand a lot about it. The reason for this thread was to try and understand why it works better than round earth model. I can't say I'm convinced. It seems there is no scientific observation at all or logical reason why earth should be anything else than round. I suspect flat earth theory is simply a pseudonym for anti science.

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 01:59:08 PM »
I have gained some insight on what flat earth model is about, but I can't say I understand a lot about it. The reason for this thread was to try and understand why it works better than round earth model. I can't say I'm convinced. It seems there is no scientific observation at all or logical reason why earth should be anything else than round. I suspect flat earth theory is simply a pseudonym for anti science.

There's definitely anti-science out there. For me, I'm more concerned with alternative science: designing an alternative hypothesis. The fact there is not yet an explanation for the shape of the world doesn't mean any more than the fact a few decades/centuries ago there was no explanation for the shape of a RE.

The point is that there is no reason to assume the world is round simply by observation of the Solar system. There are certainly other arguments for a RE, but why would observation of separate objects imply anything about us? If you're sitting in a car and you see lots of grey cars go past, it doesn't follow that the car you're sitting in is also grey. There are patterns in nature, but trying to assume such a pattern is not evidence of anything.
If you imagine the FE model for a moment, we would have a huge flat disc and then, above it, a whole sea of very small round objects. In size, location alone the Earth has next to nothing in common with them. Why would it share their shape?

You've a bias towards the RE model. That's fine, most people have that towards what they're taught. Even so, "Other things are round," is not an argument for the Earth being round. There is no implication there whatsoever.

The FE model does not work better than the RE model: because there is no FE model. You can't judge a centuries old, centuries worked-upon model by the same standards you judge one held by a few dozen people, most of which for non-scientific religious reasons: the context is completely different.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »
Why is it reasonable to think earth is flat when objects in space clearly are spherical?

The ISS is spherical?  What is your point?  ???

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 04:28:23 AM »

The ISS is spherical?  What is your point?  ???

What?

My point is why the flat model works better than the round model. There sees to be no scientific reason to believe so when we observe astronomical objects. We see spherical planets, stars, comets, meteors, moons. But never any flat objects. Just seems a bit strange.

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 03:01:31 AM »
"The ISS is spherical?  What is your point?  ???"

Now i understood what you meant. No the international space station is not spherical, surely parts of it are. It sure isnt flat anyway.

Testify

• In the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 04:24:16 AM »

Psalms 115:16 The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD'S: but the earth hath He given to the children of men.

A garden is not a house. The Earth is the home given to us by God, for our benefit and life. Everything around us is not for man. The light of the Sun is God in Heaven bathing us in His radiance, and testing us with darkness. The moon is the light of Christ. The stars are demons, which exist only in God's absence, lead by the Morning Star, and seek to deceive us. The worlds are similar. Some may be angels, given Pagan names to blaspheme, and ther ings of Saturn are the Holy Prepuce (Leo Allatius, De Praeputio Domini Nostri Jesu Christi Diatriba), forever defending us from the ill wished by the stars.
'Mercury' is Raguel, friend of God who enters Heaven often. 'Venus' is the once-Fallen Ramiel. 'Mars' is Sariel, the greatest 'Jupiter' is Gabriel, the body of 'Saturn' is Michael, guarded by the Holy Prepuce to do battle with Satan, 'Uranus' is Uriel, 'Neptune' is Raphael, the seven Archangels. That which is called 'Pluto' is most likely the Angel of Death Samael, and many other celestial objects (so-called 'asteroids') would be more lesser-shining angels. The Archangels would be the most visible. Living, impure humans on Earth may see no more than their radiance.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:46:09 AM by Testify »
Isaiah 40:22: "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in"

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 08:44:20 AM »

Psalms 115:16 The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD'S: but the earth hath He given to the children of men.

A garden is not a house. The Earth is the home given to us by God, for our benefit and life. Everything around us is not for man. The light of the Sun is God in Heaven bathing us in His radiance, and testing us with darkness. The moon is the light of Christ. The stars are demons, which exist only in God's absence, lead by the Morning Star, and seek to deceive us. The worlds are similar. Some may be angels, given Pagan names to blaspheme, and ther ings of Saturn are the Holy Prepuce (Leo Allatius, De Praeputio Domini Nostri Jesu Christi Diatriba), forever defending us from the ill wished by the stars.
'Mercury' is Raguel, friend of God who enters Heaven often. 'Venus' is the once-Fallen Ramiel. 'Mars' is Sariel, the greatest 'Jupiter' is Gabriel, the body of 'Saturn' is Michael, guarded by the Holy Prepuce to do battle with Satan, 'Uranus' is Uriel, 'Neptune' is Raphael, the seven Archangels. That which is called 'Pluto' is most likely the Angel of Death Samael, and many other celestial objects (so-called 'asteroids') would be more lesser-shining angels. The Archangels would be the most visible. Living, impure humans on Earth may see no more than their radiance.

Sorry I fail to see how this answers the question. I like how you've named the planets but personally I like the old greek names better. And stars are not deamons, they are simply other suns. Some are certanly good candidates to use metaphores like demons for,  since they are unstable high mass stars that could go supernova and destroy us.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:48:50 AM by Kogelblitz »

Testify

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »

Sorry I fail to see how this answers the question. I like how you've named the planets but personally I like the old greek names better. And stars are not deamons, they are simply other suns. Some are certanly good candidates to use metaphores like demons for,  since they are unstable high mass stars that could go supernova and destroy us.

I have explained what the objects in space are, and what the Earth is. One is a home built for man by God: others are celestial beings, many of which are not as you perceive them but instead seek to test or deceive.
I have answered your question. Do not harden your heart: let God speak to you. It is pure arrigance to assume that you know better than God. Just because you believe the stars to be one thing does not make it so.
Stars are certainly not other suns. The Sun is God's light, and the stars shine only when He does not. I have named the Archangels because to refer to them by Pagan terms is a blasphemy perpetuated by Satan and the demons.
Isaiah 40:22: "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in"

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »

I have explained what the objects in space are, and what the Earth is. One is a home built for man by God: others are celestial beings, many of which are not as you perceive them but instead seek to test or deceive.
I have answered your question. Do not harden your heart: let God speak to you. It is pure arrigance to assume that you know better than God. Just because you believe the stars to be one thing does not make it so.
Stars are certainly not other suns. The Sun is God's light, and the stars shine only when He does not. I have named the Archangels because to refer to them by Pagan terms is a blasphemy perpetuated by Satan and the demons.

I dont think you know what objects in space are. And certaintly i dont think they knew better when they wrote the bible. Keppler telescope detects planets around near by stars almost every day. And if you look through a telescope and anslyse the light you will see they are made of the same elements the sun is.

Testify

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 09:53:58 AM »

I dont think you know what objects in space are. And certaintly i dont think they knew better when they wrote the bible. Keppler telescope detects planets around near by stars almost every day. And if you look through a telescope and anslyse the light you will see they are made of the same elements the sun is.

God certainly knows, as He made them.
Demons are able to trick you. That does not change God's word.

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 02:05:32 PM »
How do you know that it is gods word?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Testify

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 02:12:43 PM »
Prayer. If one reads the Bible with an open heart, and prays, one will feel the Holy Spirit confirming its truth.

chtwrone

• Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »

' The Sun is God's light, and the stars shine only when He does not.'

This statement is not correct.

It is actually possible to see stars during the day, through a telescope - did you not know this?  Shame on your god for not telling you the truth.

http://skysurfer.eu/daystars.php
Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again.

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
Prayer. If one reads the Bible with an open heart, and prays, one will feel the Holy Spirit confirming its truth.

I am a "round earther" who has spent all my working days in careers in technical fields involving maps. (In the military and civilian jobs.)I do not intend to debate with you, but I would be interested  in knowing your answers to the following questions.:
(1) Do you believe that the earth is a flat disc and not a round globe ? Yes ? or No ?
(2) If you  do believe that the earth is a flat disc and not a round globe, do you base you belief solely on the quote from Isaiah 40:22 ? Yes ? or No ? (If the answer to Question (1) is "Yes" )
If the answer to Question (1) is "No", no further reply other than that is necessary of course.Just "yes or no" would be sufficient.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 09:45:47 PM »

What is the source of information for all of this ? Please give citation.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Testify

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 04:30:44 AM »

I am a "round earther" who has spent all my working days in careers in technical fields involving maps. (In the military and civilian jobs.)I do not intend to debate with you, but I would be interested  in knowing your answers to the following questions.:
(1) Do you believe that the earth is a flat disc and not a round globe ? Yes ? or No ?
(2) If you  do believe that the earth is a flat disc and not a round globe, do you base you belief solely on the quote from Isaiah 40:22 ? Yes ? or No ? (If the answer to Question (1) is "Yes" )
If the answer to Question (1) is "No", no further reply other than that is necessary of course.Just "yes or no" would be sufficient.

1. Yes
2. No. There are many such verses in God's word. I chose Isaiah 40:22 for my signature as a representative: both explicit and clear.