Orbital mechanics

• 14 Replies
Orbital mechanics
« on: September 08, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »
I understand how orbital mechanics work assuming a special earth. How do they work assuming a flat earth?

?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
Re: Orbital mechanics
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:42:27 AM »
I understand how orbital mechanics work assuming a special earth. How do they work assuming a flat earth?

Sun and moon rotate around a point on the top of the North Pole, in a plane parallel to the Earth, while planets rotate around the sun and satellites are only a NASA conspiracy.

Yes, I know it looks stupid, I think it is stupid, but FEers found no other explanations.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 01:30:16 AM »
I can find full explanations of the physics of a round earth orbital mechanics that make perfect sense and I understand them, I need the same for a flat earth model that is equally valid to make a valid judgement.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 02:06:44 AM »
I can find full explanations of the physics of a round earth orbital mechanics that make perfect sense and I understand them, I need the same for a flat earth model that is equally valid to make a valid judgement.

Pretty much just what XaeXae said. They have no rational explanation. They resort to magic.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 03:08:15 AM »

Pretty much just what XaeXae said. They have no rational explanation. They resort to magic.
Magic is keeping metal objects whizzing around a ball and not flying off because a magical string called gravity stops it happening.
It would make perfect sense if the metal object was whizzing around INSIDE of a spinning ball or cylinder, like at fair grounds/shows with the wall of death.
But no, we have to accept magic that the wall of death becomes the ball of death as the motorbike whizzes around that ball without touching it with it's wheels and yet it doesn't fly out of the fair ground because it's attached to a magical see through string.  ::) :P ;D

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 03:10:31 AM »
Wilddekardde, I think scepti's response is about the best you are going to get. I hope you can make out a clear explanation from that, because I cant.
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Pezevenk

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 03:59:46 AM »

Magic is keeping metal objects whizzing around a ball and not flying off because a magical string called gravity stops it happening.
It would make perfect sense if the metal object was whizzing around INSIDE of a spinning ball or cylinder, like at fair grounds/shows with the wall of death.
But no, we have to accept magic that the wall of death becomes the ball of death as the motorbike whizzes around that ball without touching it with it's wheels and yet it doesn't fly out of the fair ground because it's attached to a magical see through string.  ::) :P ;D

...Except of the fact that at the speeds the objects are going on a flat Earth, they would have already fallen off by this point. If that is what you mean, because nobody really knows what you mean.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 10:01:36 AM »

Good luck with that.  Flat Earth "theory" can't even explain why the Sun sets and there is not one iota of math to support flat Earth or make flat Earth predictions.  It is not science.  I have even gotten flat earthers to indirectly admit that what we see is exactally what we expect in the round Earth model.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »

Good luck with that.  Flat Earth "theory" can't even explain why the Sun sets and there is not one iota of math to support flat Earth or make flat Earth predictions.  It is not science.  I have even gotten flat earthers to indirectly admit that what we see is exactally what we expect in the round Earth model.

When you see a sun set it is because the sun has moved far enough away that you can no longer see its light from where you are. Atmospheric gasses are the main reason for this, the same reason the sky is dark on a rainy day, or bright blue when the sun is overhead.

There is an explanation for everything if you are willing to keep looking for answers.

Pezevenk

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »

When you see a sun set it is because the sun has moved far enough away that you can no longer see its light from where you are. Atmospheric gasses are the main reason for this, the same reason the sky is dark on a rainy day, or bright blue when the sun is overhead.

There is an explanation for everything if you are willing to keep looking for answers.

If that was the case, it would simply appear to fade away, and possibly noticeably change in size instead of sinking below the horizon. So no, sorry, this explanation makes no sense.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »

Why then does:

1) the suns disc not decrease in size when it gets further away?

2) the sun disappear from the bottom up behind the horizon?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »

Have you ever actually seen a sunset?  The Sun's speed and size remains constant throughout the day and then the Sun goes below the horizon which obscures it.  It does not get smaller and fade out into the distance.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

sircool

• flat, round, whatever throats your goat
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 07:18:09 AM »

If this was true, sun would slowly become more and more dim, and that would simply not be a sun set, it would be a sun fade. Dumbass
If it's flat, that would be very interesting for science

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 05:43:38 AM »
I posed this and a few other questions to gauge the state of mind of flat earthers. Ive come to the conclusion that they are seriously deficient in cognitive capability. They will believe what they want to and there is nothing that sane, logical or reasonable people can do about it. If i introduced a square earth theory i guarantee i will get many believers no matter how pathetic my evidence or reasoning.
All i would need to do to fill in the gaps in square earth logic is say "Nasa Conspiracy" or invent a few new words and claim that its improvable. I see this same pattern with anti vaxxers and religious extremists. 

Mikey T.

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 08:43:34 AM »
I posed this and a few other questions to gauge the state of mind of flat earthers. Ive come to the conclusion that they are seriously deficient in cognitive capability. They will believe what they want to and there is nothing that sane, logical or reasonable people can do about it. If i introduced a square earth theory i guarantee i will get many believers no matter how pathetic my evidence or reasoning.
All i would need to do to fill in the gaps in square earth logic is say "Nasa Conspiracy" or invent a few new words and claim that its improvable. I see this same pattern with anti vaxxers and religious extremists. 

This has been done already, but with the dual Earth theory.  Look in the information repository.  JRoweskeptic came up with an entirely new model to counteract a very few arguments that does not work for a flat Earth.  A few came to argue for his model and even though his model got increasingly more crazy they jumped on it just because it was not a spherical model.  Funny how if you back up and look at things, it actually proved how naive and paranoid most FE folks are.  I wonder how those people who took up his model would feel if someone told them it was a big joke to see what the response was?  Or the Denpressure model, yet another ridiculous model made up to try to explain away gravity, it gets a little more stupid the more questions are asked about it.  I also wonder how many people would be crushed if it came out that that one was also a big joke? 
It goes to show you how easily you can lead someone away from actual logical thinking when you just base everything off of a conspiracy.  So if you too decide to present a model that can lead the naive away, please let me know, I will most certainly help you out also.