[EXPERIMENT] 50km weather balloon

• 29 Replies
?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
[EXPERIMENT] 50km weather balloon
« on: September 09, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »
I think a final experimental proof for the FE or the RE would be to send a weather balloon to 50km, and to examine if we notice a curvature compatible with the RE diameter, or no curvature at all, or even something else.

I don't have the money to send by myself this balloon, and, even if I do, FEers would say the video is a fake, but if the FEers launch their own weather balloon and publish here the video (no photo, only video, as photo can more easily be modified), we could get a final answer about the FE/RE question.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Re: [EXPERIMENT] 50km weather balloon
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »
I think a final experimental proof for the FE or the RE would be to send a weather balloon to 50km, and to examine if we notice a curvature compatible with the RE diameter, or no curvature at all, or even something else.

I don't have the money to send by myself this balloon, and, even if I do, FEers would say the video is a fake, but if the FEers launch their own weather balloon and publish here the video (no photo, only video, as photo can more easily be modified), we could get a final answer about the FE/RE question.

Well, it would be really hard, as the curvature would be really small, and you would need a lot of $$$ to find a lens that does not distort.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:58:59 AM »

Well, it would be really hard, as the curvature would be really small, and you would need a lot of $$$ to find a lens that does not distort.

The curvature would not be so small. At only 30km, we already see that : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Picture_taken_at_aprox._100%2C000_feet_above_Oregon_by_Justin_Hamel_and_Chris_Thompson.jpg

Pezevenk

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 04:14:14 AM »

The curvature would not be so small. At only 30km, we already see that : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Picture_taken_at_aprox._100%2C000_feet_above_Oregon_by_Justin_Hamel_and_Chris_Thompson.jpg

Yeah... Well... It's possible... I don't know...

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Yendor

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 03:18:34 PM »

I could very well be wrong, but that picture looks deceiving to me. It looks more curved then it actually is. I don't have any graphic programs, all I've got is paint. Using the ruler on the side, I drew red tic marks across the horizon. Or what I could guess was the horizon. You can see it only curves downwards near the right side of the picture. I would think if the Earth is really round, you would see more curvature then what we are seeing. In fact if the picture was tilted a little to the left, I'd doubt you would see hardly any curvature at all. Maybe someone with a better program could do a better job than me.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Mikey T.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »
Possibly tilted slightly to the left some, yet if you pay close attention to your middle red dots, they are not aligned anyway(some lower then some higher in a row), but they dip down a bit further into the horizon line that the far left dots.

?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 03:45:40 AM »

I could very well be wrong, but that picture looks deceiving to me. It looks more curved then it actually is. I don't have any graphic programs, all I've got is paint. Using the ruler on the side, I drew red tic marks across the horizon. Or what I could guess was the horizon. You can see it only curves downwards near the right side of the picture. I would think if the Earth is really round, you would see more curvature then what we are seeing. In fact if the picture was tilted a little to the left, I'd doubt you would see hardly any curvature at all. Maybe someone with a better program could do a better job than me.

At least place the dots correctly... ::)

Yendor

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 06:38:23 AM »

At least place the dots correctly... ::)

I placed the dots the best I could using MicroSoft Paint. That is the only graphical program I have.I'm hoping someone has a better program then me that could place a dotted line across the horizon. They could also rock the picture a little to the left to make it more level. If someone could do that, I believe you wouldn't see any curvature at all.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Pezevenk

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 07:09:09 AM »

Man, those dots are nowhere close to being in line. Other than that, I guess it depends on how you look at it. The "peak" seems to be near the left side of the picture anyway.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 08:08:19 AM »
The FE'ers would simply apply the "faked" label to any photographic evidence of curvature, just as they do now to all pictures from altitudse which show it, from balloons to spacecraft.
Anyway, the curvature can be seen from ground level - simply check the level of the horizon with a theodolite and you'll see it's lower than the 180 degrees it would be at on a flat earth.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Yendor

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »
The FE'ers would simply apply the "faked" label to any photographic evidence of curvature, just as they do now to all pictures from altitudse which show it, from balloons to spacecraft.
Anyway, the curvature can be seen from ground level - simply check the level of the horizon with a theodolite and you'll see it's lower than the 180 degrees it would be at on a flat earth.

Just take a straight edge or a ruler across the center of the red dots and you will see they aren't too far off. That to me proves the Earth ain't no globe. You would have to be a moron to think it was.
                              George Orwell

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 02:53:12 AM »

Just take a straight edge or a ruler across the center of the red dots and you will see they aren't too far off. That to me proves the Earth ain't no globe. You would have to be a moron to think it was.

If the red dors are placed in a straight line, that proves that there is a curvature since the horizon obviously does not follow them in a straight line, but curves away especially on the right side.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 06:37:24 AM »
Hey, Guys!  It turns out the Earth really is round.  Just look at the curvature of the horizon in this picture if you don't believe me!  lol

?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 07:04:53 AM »
Hey, Guys!  It turns out the Earth really is round.  Just look at the curvature of the horizon in this picture if you don't believe me!  lol

You look even more stupid than these fish...

Yendor

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »

If the red dors are placed in a straight line, that proves that there is a curvature since the horizon obviously does not follow them in a straight line, but curves away especially on the right side.

I believe we can all agree that if the Earth was a globe, It would have more curvature than is shown in this picture. None of the REers say the Earth is a perfect globe. I'm sure that little downward slope on the right side is just probably a little indent that would straighten out to a nice flat surface if more of the Earth was shown.
                              George Orwell

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »

I believe we can all agree that if the Earth was a globe, It would have more curvature than is shown in this picture. None of the REers say the Earth is a perfect globe. I'm sure that little downward slope on the right side is just probably a little indent that would straighten out to a nice flat surface if more the Earth was shown.

I don't agree with that. The picture is not taken very far from earth's surface, only 30 km away (compare to being 6401km away from earth's center).

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Yendor

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 02:30:24 PM »

I believe we can all agree that if the Earth was a globe, It would have more curvature than is shown in this picture. None of the REers say the Earth is a perfect globe. I'm sure that little downward slope on the right side is just probably a little indent that would straighten out to a nice flat surface if more the Earth was shown.

I don't agree with that. The picture is not taken very far from earth's surface, only 30 km away (compare to being 6401km away from earth's center).

Actually, the topic says it is 50km, 18.6 miles
                              George Orwell

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »

Glad to see you have converted to the sensible side and finally presented an honest picture which you haven't photoshopped in order to prove a point. What made you convert to RE?
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 02:53:09 PM »

But the picture posted on this thread which is not connected to the OP was taken at 30km altitude. The topic didn't say that that picture was taken at 50km height.

When in doubt; sources!

Yendor

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 03:43:36 PM »

But the picture posted on this thread which is not connected to the OP was taken at 30km altitude. The topic didn't say that that picture was taken at 50km height.

I found the picture on Wiki and you are correct, it is 30km, sorry.
                              George Orwell

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »
Bugger me with the ruff end of a pineapple. The zombies are getting  dumper & dumber .  Lens matters . Loction of the sun matters . Spectrom of light reflected to the lens matters . What processor maters . with  what image you capture with a camera.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don'tů:

chtwrone

• Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »

Hi Yendor

I've used a suitable program to straighten the picture so that the positions of where the horizon line meets the lefthand and righthand edges of the picture are exactly level. And then, as you can see, I've placed a straight line across the picture.

You mentioned in a previous post, that if the picture was made level, then hardly any curvature would be noticeable at all?  This is a strange thing to say, as levelling the picture does not change the amount of curvature shown in the picture.

As you can observe for yourself, the curvature is obvious for all to see.

Thanks so much, for submitting this picture, which is a very nice example of the earth's curvature.

Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again.

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 06:21:45 PM »

Hi Yendor

I've used a suitable program to straighten the picture so that the positions of where the horizon line meets the lefthand and righthand edges of the picture are exactly level. And then, as you can see, I've placed a straight line across the picture.

You mentioned in a previous post, that if the picture was made level, then hardly any curvature would be noticeable at all?  This is a strange thing to say, as levelling the picture does not change the amount of curvature shown in the picture.

Thanks so much, for submitting this picture, which is a very nice example of the earth's curvature.

What lens was on the camera? Was there condensation on the lens .  If you compared differant stills from footage filmed as a balloon rises to 115 thousand ft. You get fluctuations,  as the camara can not be kept completely horizontal . On its journey upward.  Your claim that one photo proves a curvature, is laughable. Lets see the other stills for comparison.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don'tů:

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
Well, this picture clearly shows the curvature of the Earth.  Draw a line and you will see.  lol

chtwrone

• Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 04:42:18 AM »
Well, this picture clearly shows the curvature of the Earth.  Draw a line and you will see.  lol

So, how exactly does this picture of yours prove that the picture submitted by Yendor is distorted?
Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again.

Yendor

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 08:08:38 AM »

Hi Yendor

Chtwrone,
I only posted the picture, xaexae is the one who provided the link to it. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I believe you rotated the picture a little too much. The line shows that the picture is actually a little too high no on the right side now opposed to being too low on the right side before. I think you should rotate the picture so it is a little lower on the right and it will look much better. After you do that, I believe it will show the Earth nearly perfectly flat, as we all know it actually is. Thanks for all you effort though.
                              George Orwell

sircool

• flat, round, whatever throats your goat
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »

Hi Yendor

Chtwrone,
I only posted the picture, xaexae is the one who provided the link to it. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I believe you rotated the picture a little too much. The line shows that the picture is actually a little too high no on the right side now opposed to being too low on the right side before. I think you should rotate the picture so it is a little lower on the right and it will look much better. After you do that, I believe it will show the Earth nearly perfectly flat, as we all know it actually is. Thanks for all you effort though.

Wouldn't that be cheating? Looks like curvature to me, Even though the camera might have been tilted vertically when the picture was taken? Maybe I'm wrong but it kinda looks curved to me.
If it's flat, that would be very interesting for science

Yendor

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 10:12:05 AM »

Hi Yendor

Chtwrone,

Wouldn't that be cheating? Looks like curvature to me, Even though the camera might have been tilted vertically when the picture was taken? Maybe I'm wrong but it kinda looks curved to me.

No sircool, if you line the light blue horizon or whatever it is, up with your thin black line, then the truth will be if you can see a hump in the middle of the blue horizon. I believe you will see some, but not enough to claim the Earth is round. At 100,000 ft. I believe you should see a pretty big hump in the middle of the line.
                              George Orwell

Pezevenk

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »

Hi Yendor

Chtwrone,

No sircool, if you line the light blue horizon or whatever it is, up with your thin black line, then the truth will be if you can see a hump in the middle of the blue horizon. I believe you will see some, but not enough to claim the Earth is round. At 100,000 ft. I believe you should see a pretty big hump in the middle of the line.

It's right in front of you.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Yendor

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »

Hi Yendor

Chtwrone,

It's right in front of you.

I'm I the only FEer on here that sees no hump? Would a FEer please draw a line on the picture in the correct location for me? This guy is driving me more nuts than I already am.
                              George Orwell