What are the evidence AGAINST a round earth ?

• 63 Replies
?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
What are the evidence AGAINST a round earth ?
« on: September 03, 2015, 03:44:12 PM »
Lots of flat-earthers are trying to explain observed phenomenon with (sometime strange) theories, but they don't seem to have lots of evidence against the round earth theory. If you, could you show me which one ? If you don't, why do you prefer FE against RE ?

Yendor

Re: What are the evidence AGAINST a round earth ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 04:36:39 PM »
Lots of flat-earthers are trying to explain observed phenomenon with (sometime strange) theories, but they don't seem to have lots of evidence against the round earth theory. If you, could you show me which one ? If you don't, why do you prefer FE against RE ?

I prefer FE over RE because for one simple thing, I don't believe in gravity and if gravity doesn't exist then the whole RE theory goes out the window. I don't believe gravity keeps all the heavenly bodies from crashing into each other. I don't believe gravity is what holds us to the Earth. I don't believe gravity could keep the oceans from running off a round Earth. I don't believe Moon's gravity can bulge the Earth to cause tides. Do some research on gravity and see if it convinces you gravity is what they say it is and what it can do.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »

I prefer FE over RE because for one simple thing, I don't believe in gravity and if gravity doesn't exist then the whole RE theory goes out the window. I don't believe gravity keeps all the heavenly bodies from crashing into each other. I don't believe gravity is what holds us to the Earth. I don't believe gravity could keep the oceans from running off a round Earth. I don't believe Moon's gravity can bulge the Earth to cause tides. Do some research on gravity and see if it convinces you gravity is what they say it is and what it can do.

So different question: what are the evidence against gravity?
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:52:17 PM »

Yendor speaks the truth. There are too many flaws in the theory of gravity. It is a shame that this theory is often presented as fact.

Pezevenk

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 04:56:11 PM »

Yendor speaks the truth. There are too many flaws in the theory of gravity. It is a shame that this theory is often presented as fact.

Like what flaws?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »

There are three threads on top of the debate section that lists them in plenty, do you really need them to be listed again here?

Pezevenk

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »

There are three threads on top of the debate section that lists them in plenty, do you really need them to be listed again here?

But it's blatantly obvious that all of them are wrong. Do you really take them seriously?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »
  If I thought the theory of gravity was correct, why would I consistently point out all of it's flaws? I came to these conclusions on my own, your conclusions were spoon fed to you and are regurgitated at anyone who doesn't believe them. There are plenty of others here that also disagree with the theory.

Pezevenk

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 05:13:03 PM »
  If I thought the theory of gravity was correct, why would I consistently point out all of it's flaws? I came to these conclusions on my own, your conclusions were spoon fed to you and are regurgitated at anyone who doesn't believe them. There are plenty of others here that also disagree with the theory.

You see, that's the problem with you flat earthers. You seem to think that you are critical thinkers and that nobody else has come to conclusions on his own or has ever questioned in his mind what he has been taught, and in this arrogance, you miss the obvious flaws of your theories.

Now I ask you again: can you give me a single major problem with gravity?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Yendor

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 05:16:23 PM »

I like that...regurgitated. I'll have to remember to use that in the future. You don't mind do you?
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 05:27:03 PM »

You see, that's the problem with you flat earthers. You seem to think that you are critical thinkers and that nobody else has come to conclusions on his own or has ever questioned in his mind what he has been taught, and in this arrogance, you miss the obvious flaws of your theories.

I never said that, and I apologize if that is what you think I am saying. Of course anyone can come to their own conclusions. I doubt very much that most people question their scientific schooling very much. What I was specifically saying is that you are simply regurgitating what you were taught as fact, and implying that others here who question the theory of gravity are ridiculous.

To give you an example again on this thread let me choose the last one I had mentioned, objects in space are floating because they are in free fall. Anyone can see they are floating. Objects in space can float in any direction. I would not consider this falling, nor would almost anyone else before they were taught all the nuances of the theory of gravity. 

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »

I like that...regurgitated. I'll have to remember to use that in the future. You don't mind do you?

Be my guest  ;)

Pezevenk

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 05:37:34 PM »

I never said that, and I apologize if that is what you think I am saying. Of course anyone can come to their own conclusions. I doubt very much that most people question their scientific schooling very much. What I was specifically saying is that you are simply regurgitating what you were taught as fact, and implying that others here who question the theory of gravity are ridiculous.

To give you an example again on this thread let me choose the last one I had mentioned, objects in space are floating because they are in free fall. Anyone can see they are floating. Objects in space can float in any direction. I would not consider this falling, nor would almost anyone else before they were taught all the nuances of the theory of gravity.

So because it doesn't seem like falling to you, gravity isn't real?

And no, I'm not regurgitating anything.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »

Ok then, since you came to your conclusion that objects are in free fall instead of floating in space, please explain why they will float in all directions. Where are they falling towards? What makes them fall?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 07:59:33 PM »

Ok then, since you came to your conclusion that objects are in free fall instead of floating in space, please explain why they will float in all directions. Where are they falling towards? What makes them fall?
Objects in space don't fall, objects in orbits do. They are under no forces so they can move around while still falling. They fall towards what they are orbiting. Bent spacetime from gravitation makes them fall.
There is literally 5 other gravitation threads right now.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 08:02:03 PM »

All objects whose parent is the Sun are falling towards the Sun. The Sun, as well as all the objects orbiting the Sun are all falling towards the center of the Milky Way (of which billions of other stars are falling towards). The Moon is falling towards the Earth, etc.. All this is irrelevant, really.

The real issue I see with your stance is that you don't truly accept FE because of gravity- besides, FE falls apart completely thanks to southern circumpolar stars- it's that you accept FE through a conspiracy which you have no evidence of. Gravity to you isn't real because you believe in a conspiracy. This is just invalid.

In reality, where it's obvious the Earth is round thanks to video, photography, southern circumpolar stars, modern science etc. you do not claim gravity is non-existent because it cannot be explained (which it can). And because it cannot be explained, the Earth must be flat. You can argue for anything using this logic. It's not logic at all.

This presupposition is the basis of your flawed beliefs. So first, prove the conspiracy. Then we can talk gravity.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:05:05 PM by Jet Fission »
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 11:00:05 PM »
And, as pointed out, there still is no evidence against RE or gravity, FE:s just call it all BS and come up with their own explanations. But gravity still explains and predicts our surroundings better than any other explanation.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Pezevenk

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 01:14:49 AM »

Think of a ball connected to a stick with a string. You also have to imagine that the experiment is performed somewhere without gravity to pull anything down. Now what would happen if you pushed the ball? It would rotate around the stick. The ball is the object that is orbiting the earth, the string is the force of gravity, and the stick is the earth.

I hope that helps you understand what is happening.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 05:18:12 AM »
Just because someone's beliefs line up with or are similar to that of popular consensus doesn't mean that they're only believing it because it was "spoon fed" to them. They are just as capable of critical thinking as you are. As a skeptic, it literally is not your position to make assumptions [on an individual"s beliefs] with no evidence.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:25:17 AM by Adsolution »

sircool

• flat, round, whatever throats your goat
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 05:53:58 AM »

So many misconceptions, ex: the moon does not float, because there is very little matter to float in, therefore no bouyancy. Instead it falls to the earth.", the only reason it never collides with earth is because of the speed, it want's to hit earth but misses every time:) same with earth around the sun. If you were to slow earth down to the right speed, it would definetly crash into the sun.
If it's flat, that would be very interesting for science

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 06:17:30 AM »

If you look through a telescope you can see how the planets move.

Also, for the record, because someone doesn't understand something doesn't mean that any idea is less or more correct.

?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 06:25:23 AM »

So many misconceptions, ex: the moon does not float, because there is very little matter to float in, therefore no bouyancy. Instead it falls to the earth.", the only reason it never collides with earth is because of the speed, it want's to hit earth but misses every time:) same with earth around the sun. If you were to slow earth down to the right speed, it would definetly crash into the sun.

All space simulators exactly show this : when you slow down an object orbiting around the earth/sun (for example a rocket in KSP), his orbit starts to shrink and hurts the parent body. And when you accelerate it, his orbit expand until gravitationnal escape. All that can be perfectly explain with the GmM/dē formula, which also helps us to deduce Kepler's 3 laws. No need to add an explanation for each particular case when you already have a global explanation.

Thus, the observed orbits of comets, planets and other space things (why doesn't it falls?, why does it orbit?, ...) are not a problem for the law of gravity.

?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 06:30:35 AM »
And I suggest you to try this, it simulate a 2/3/4 celestial body system using only the attractive gravity law: https://phet.colorado.edu/sims/my-solar-system/my-solar-system_en.html

Pezevenk

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 07:39:08 AM »
Thanks XaeXae for recommending that simulator, it's awesome!

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

?

XaeXae

• Mountain Lions.
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 09:39:49 AM »

;)

I'm now trying to code my own simulator now, insipred by this one!

Pezevenk

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 10:24:50 AM »

;)

I'm now trying to code my own simulator now, insipred by this one!

That would be awesome! Let us know if you manage to do it!

By the way, I will try to code my own on Scratch, although I am fairly certain it's not going to work.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »

All objects whose parent is the Sun are falling towards the Sun. The Sun, as well as all the objects orbiting the Sun are all falling towards the center of the Milky Way (of which billions of other stars are falling towards). The Moon is falling towards the Earth, etc.. All this is irrelevant, really.

The real issue I see with your stance is that you don't truly accept FE because of gravity- besides, FE falls apart completely thanks to southern circumpolar stars- it's that you accept FE through a conspiracy which you have no evidence of. Gravity to you isn't real because you believe in a conspiracy. This is just invalid.

In reality, where it's obvious the Earth is round thanks to video, photography, southern circumpolar stars, modern science etc. you do not claim gravity is non-existent because it cannot be explained (which it can). And because it cannot be explained, the Earth must be flat. You can argue for anything using this logic. It's not logic at all.

This presupposition is the basis of your flawed beliefs. So first, prove the conspiracy. Then we can talk gravity.

You have no idea if I believe in any conspiracy or not. In fact, up until now I have only shared two beliefs relevant to this board. The first is that I don't believe modern science has all the answers it claims it does, specifically when it comes to the theory of gravity. The second is that I have previously stated that I do not believe the Earth is accelerating upwards.

I have never shared with you my conjecture regarding the shape of the Earth.

There are many aspects I do not believe about gravity theory. Why would everything in space be falling? It doesn't make any sense. I believe they are not falling but instead are floating.

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 10:28:58 AM »

Also, for the record, because someone doesn't understand something doesn't mean that any idea is less or more correct.

I have seen rain fall, but never a planet.

Serulian

• Flat Earthian
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 10:32:17 AM »

All space simulators exactly show this : when you slow down an object orbiting around the earth/sun (for example a rocket in KSP), his orbit starts to shrink and hurts the parent body. And when you accelerate it, his orbit expand until gravitationnal escape. All that can be perfectly explain with the GmM/dē formula, which also helps us to deduce Kepler's 3 laws. No need to add an explanation for each particular case when you already have a global explanation.

Thus, the observed orbits of comets, planets and other space things (why doesn't it falls?, why does it orbit?, ...) are not a problem for the law of gravity.

Simulators are not reality. A simulation can be programmed with any physics the designer desires them to have.

Pezevenk

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »

I have seen rain fall, but never a planet.

I see you still don't understand. The moon doesn't come crushing down on the earth, because it is going at a significant speed. We've explained it to you countless times. XaeXae even gave you a link to a fantastic simulator encoded with the equations for gravity to help you understand. I really don't get why it seems so hard for you to understand.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)